September 2018 Moms

AMA Check in June

All right my 35 years + mamas, how is it going?

Any questions, comments or concerns relating to a "geriatric" pregnancy? Thoughts on being a more mature mom? Upcoming appointments or extra testing you want to discuss? Here's our thread!

Re: AMA Check in June

• stothistothi member
    39 years/ 23 weeks

My last routine check-up was all "so far so good." Nothing interesting. I did mention in the weekly appointment threads that I was informed that the MFM wants to start doing twice weekly testing (1 ultrasound, and 1 non stress test, if I'm understanding correctly) starting at 32 weeks through the remainder of the pregnancy. At this time I have no red flags or risk factors beyond my age and previous history of pre-eclampsia.

The MFM says that since I had pre-e before, he thinks it's likely I'll get it again, and feels that my age alone warrants the extra testing. They also want to do a growth scan between 28-32 weeks and a blood test at some point around that time too test for Spina bifida. I've never heard about a blood test for spina bifida before, so I don't know if I misunderstood what they were saying of if that's just a thing I hadn't heard of before.

The midwifes say I'm having a healthier pregnancy than some of the women they are seeing that are half my age and would not do the extra testing just based on my age. They also say that just because I had pre-e before doesn't mean I'll get it again. So far they have no concerns about this pregnancy at this time.

It's really interesting getting basically completely opposite opinions from the two teams of medical professionals who are managing my pregnancy. Although they do both agree that at this time everything indicates and healthy pregnancy and baby.

Has anyone else been advised about extra monitoring during the third trimester? If so, how much, how often and what kind of testing/monitoring and did they say why? I was 36 with my last pregnancy and with a different practice and we did zero extra third trimester monitoring.
  • I’m also 39, currently 27 weeks. I am PAIF too although this ended up being a surprise natural. So far so good! I had a growth scan with MFM on Friday and he wants to do another one in 6 weeks. He said he’ll start weekly NSTs at 34 weeks. I did the free cell DNA testing early on so we did not discuss any further genetic testing. Hope that helps! This is my first so I have no comparison....
    TTC since May 2013
    Mild PCOS, Compound Heterozygous MTHFR
    No Folic acid/pharmaceuticals/supplements (too many to list- private message me if interested), IVIL infusion
  • Loading the player...
  • @stothi I had those labs already run about 1.5 weeks ago. It is checking for neural tube defects (including spina bifida.)  I believe it is part of the quad screen for people that have not had the cell free DNA. Not 100% sure, but I have had it with each so far.

40/23 weeks. 

I have a scan and MFM appointment tomorrow. Followed by OB.  Continuing the every other week scans  and will also eventually switch over to weekly ultrasound with an NST done in one visit. 
  • MandyMostMandyMost member
    edited June 2018
    I’m 26w2d.

AMA (will be 37 in August), extra monitoring for an arrhythmia they heard a few weeks ago but then went away, and I was just diagnosed with gestational diabetes. I may as well move into the doctors office at this point. 

I don’t have an appointment schedule yet, but I’m expecting to soon start weekly appoinments alternating Ultrasound and non-stress tests, in addition to appointments with the endocrinologist for the GD. I’m exhausted just thinking about it. 
  • nackienackie member
    I’m 26 weeks and 37. 
    So far this pregnancy has been uneventful and the doctors seem completely unconcerned by my age. There’s been no mention of extra monitoring other than the DNA test at 12 weeks. It’s interesting how differently different doctors treat their AMA patients. 
    @stothi I had the CF and spinal bifida tests a while back, but it sounded like they were pretty standard practice for my office regardless of age. 
  • 36/25 weeks
    I have a regularly scheduled OB appointment this week.  They've been monitoring my blood pressure (which was high but with meds it actually has gotten almost too low so I've almost weaned off them).  I'll have a scan to check the location of my placenta (which was low at the last one).  I also need to do the glucose test (scared that will not go well).  I feel like each appointment is "let's talk about this issue now" or "here's the risk for these other scary things now", so I dread each one. 
  • I'm similar to @nackie in age, weeks and testing.  No, additional testing and partially because, Canada, even less testing than that.  I think I'll probably do my gestational diabetes test this week and go for a dr. appointment next week (I haven't been since 22 ish weeks!)...  
    Daughter #1 - Feb 2012
    Daughter #2 - Oct 2014
    Daughter #3 - Nov 2016
    Baby #4 - Sept 2018
  • @stothi I had the free cell DNA test early on, but then we also did the AFP more recently, which is the spina bifida test (not that I was worried about it, but it was recommended).

35/26+1
    Next apt is 28+2 For GD, thyroid etc. All the BW.  They also told me I will be given rhogam at the 30 weeks, and go to 2-week appointments after this next 28 week one.  No word yet when they go to weekly.

Our Hypnobirthing classes start later this month!  And I sent the doula out deposit, so we'll be scheduling our two prenatal visits with her closer to 32 and 36ish weeks.  Eep!  All getting very real...  
  • stothistothi member
    Oh, yeah, rhogam. I have another shot of that coming up too. Did I mention that? I can't keep track. I think I'll end up having 3 this pregnancy. I had one at 5 weeks when I had my IUD removed, then I'll get one at 28-30 weeks and one after giving birth.
  • nackienackie member
    @BusinessWife I’m on week 4 of my hypnobirthing class. I’m really liking it, but so far I haven’t had as much time to practice as I’d like. I hope yours goes well!
  • I had the rhogam shot at 17 weeks when I had the amnio; I think they'll be doing another one in the next few weeks, which should cover me through birth? And yeah, then one after giving birth. That has nothing to do with AMA, though, just that I have a negative blood type!
  • @stothi You probably told this story already, but did you get pregnant with an IUD?

@nackie I'm 36 yo/ 26 wks, and my OB providers are like yours. Very laid back. My apts take about 5 minutes. No one wants to talk about risks nor do they seemed concerned. Maybe it's because I see the CNM, whom I love and delivered my other 2.

• stothistothi member
    @sarah-ruby-21 yup. Paragard. They are supposed to be good for 10+ years and I had mine for approx 2 years. Doc says that it was placed correctly and that they didn't see any reason why mine failed. 
    We were planning to start trying this fall/winter anyhow so ultimately we aren't upset other than the fact it was really bad timing and it's upsetting that a very important product failed to do a pretty darn important job. 
    Why?
  • @stothi Oh my goodness. Well, you have an amazing attitude about it. I just asked out of curiosity and because I am 99% percent sure I want my tubes tied as part of my c-section, and stories like this reassure me I'm making a good decision. 
  • stothistothi member
    edited June 2018
    @sarah-ruby-21 I'm told by the docs that it's incredibly rare to get pregnant with an IUD. Strangers on the internet and the ultrasound techs say that it happens all the time. My husband will be getting a vasectomy during the 6 week pp period and if I end up with a c section I'll be getting my tubes tied as well. My heart would like more babies but my body says "for the love of God please stop!!!" I'm getting up there age wise and my body doesn't do pregnancy well, so realistically we need to call it at done after this one. I obviously don't trust an IUD at this point, lol, so it's sterilization all around at our house!

Eta: in regards to my attitude- I LOVE babies! I want all the babies! I've always wanted so, so many babies, so yeah, I'm not AT ALL upset about this baby. I love him and I want him. But omg let me tell you I have had some dark days over the timing and circumstances. Some days have been very emotionally difficult. With my husband just getting back from this 6 month work thing and me spending the first 4 months of this pregnancy alone with taking care of our toddler by myself, there have been some dark days. I desperately wanted (and still want) time to relax, time alone, time to do family vacations with our now easy to travel with toddler BEFORE we added another member to our family and before starting the sleepless grind of infancy again. I get reeeaalllyy darkly sad some days that it's not happening for me now. That it's straight from one fairly traumatic grind to the next. (My pregnancy with my first tried to kill me, my labor was hellish, my first born never slept as an infant and I was very sick for the first like 3 months of his life on top of that thanks to a lovely infection I picked up at the hospital. So to me pregnancy and infancy is fairly traumatic.)
    BUT then I think about sniffing another little baby's head or a go to the store and buy the cutest little onsie or sleeper I can find and look at pictures of my first born as a tiny little guy and I remember that no matter how hard it is that it's all so worth it. Then I focus on how much I love babies and that despite the absolute shitastic timing of it that I'm truly grateful and happy at the chance to have another one. And in 2.5 to 3 years this one will be easy to travel with too and we can take family vacations then, you know? Putting off plans/wants/whatever for 2-3 years in the grand scheme of life really isn't all that big of a deal.
    So my amazing attitude suffers from a serious "good day/bad day" cycle, lol. But yes, ultimately even on the dark days, I'm so happy to have another baby.