November 2018 Moms

Failed glucose test

Hi ladies, sorry for the one off thread but I haven't seen a questions thread in a while and I am really upset right now.

So I failed my glucose test. The nurse said it was not by much but enough that I now have to go on a special diet and check my blood sugar. It is one more hurdle now in this pregnancy and I am really emotional about it. 

I have no idea what to expect and pricking my finger every day is like my worst nightmare. I had to do it once before and it gave me such anxiety. Now I have to do it every day! I feel so silly that I am sitting here crying. 

Can anyone give me insight about this? 

Re: Failed glucose test

• I was gestational diabetic with DS and it wasn’t near as bad as I thought it would be. My doctor sent me to a class where we learned how to use our glucometers (which are very easy) and learned about proper nutrition, how many carbs you should eat each day/meal, why your sugar levels should be fasting/after meals, etc. It was all broken down so it was pretty easy to understand (and I hate nutrition). Does your ob have you take a class like that? If not can they refer you to a dietician to get you set up if you need it? Mine was diet controlled (I only had 2 high sugars when I splurged at baby showers). I could even have some desserts as long as it was only a serving. Needles don’t bother me, but the prick you barely feel. 

Honestly I am 95% sure I’ll have GD again. I’m overweight and have PCOS and have a history of GD. While I’d rather not be, I looked at it as more accountability to eat healthy for me and my baby. I know it’s not ideal, but I promise it’s manageable! <3
    *TW*
    Me:35 DH:35
    Dx: PCOS
    DS1 born 11/2014
    DS2 born 11/2018
    3 previous losses
    Rainbow baby due 12/2021 - Team Green

• They told me maternal and fetal medicine will be contacting me. I am guessing I will be going through them for 
  • Loading the player...
  • I had gestational diabetes with DD. I did not have to see a dietitian since it was my fasting numbers that were always skyhigh. I still checked my sugars after meals but it was always in the AM it was high. I had to take insulin at night. I was terrified I also hate needles but I got used to it and it was ok. My tester also had a dial so I could choose the length of the needle and I always used the shortest one. I’m not sure if they all have that option. I’m sorry your feeling this way, although not ideal you will make it through this ❤️ 
  • The nurse told me my fasting and 3 hour number were fine but my 1 hour and 2 hour ones were elevated. 

Thank you ladies. I think I just need to hear stories of ladies that have gone through this before. 
  • edited June 2018
    As a type 2 diabetic, I've dealt with the finger sticks and injecting insulin for a while now. It really isn't that bad. Like pp said, use a lancet that allows you to set the depth of the needle. I never have to go past 2 (of 5 settings). The diet isn't really a big deal either. There are so many low carb diet plans and "fads" that it is easy to find recipes and even options when out to eat. Yes, it's annoying and can even be scary, but it sounds like your doctors are on top of it and it's great you'll be seeing a mfm. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • I currently have GD, and I must take insulin in the evening because my faster numbers were high and well, you can't do much about those. I agree with what all you ladies said, it is far easier than it appears. I have a "Quick pen" for my insulin, and the needle is so small I don't even feel a thing when I inject myself. 

I had the group class for nutritionnal advice, but I would strongly recommend getting a few appointments with a dietitian. It helped me a lot to ease the anxiety and the guilt, to better analyse my numbers, and to know how to cheat without much consequences. Also, since it's early GD, she gave me ideas of menus so I don't have to eat the same thing over and over for the next five months. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I was diagnosed with GD pretty much as soon as I found out I was pregnant (around week 5). When I first found out I think I was in denial and borderline depressed. My fasting number was slightly elevated but it was enough to be diagnosed with GD. I prick my fingers 4x a day and have to take insulin every night because nothing else i do will bring my morning numbers down.

I need to rotate my finger tips for the prick and the injection spot for my insulin because I do get sore. If I inject in my thighs I usually have bruises. I won't lie, I absolutely hate it. Figuring out my meals is really difficult but if I know the food is unhealthy I usually just eat a little less of it and my numbers are okay. 

I think eventually you will get used to it but you need to decide what your attitude will be about the situation. All the other ladies here have great attitudes and I urge you to follow their example. I try to think positively or to look on the bright side but GD is causing so many issues for me with my job and I keep craving sweets that I can't have; I'm quite bitter & angry about the situation. 

I recognize that my attitude doesn't help anything but struggle with it daily. My mom basically gave me a harsh pep talk when I was diagnosed and I repeat it to myself often. She said, "suck it up! I get that it's hard but what you want doesn't matter anymore. Listen to the Dr and do whatever they tell you to do so that your baby is healthy. That is what's important. And if you don't, you will regret it for the rest of your life."

• @kamahina9 : I totally understand you! I sound zen right now, but the first weeks I was so mad and disappointed. Even now when I can say I've accepted what is happening, there are days that I just want to whine about the unfairness of it all, especially now that it's ice cream season! 

Yes, I want to protect my baby, and yes, I'll do what it takes. Doesn't mean I have to enjoy it all the time. 

I want to eat ice cream and drown in bubble tea all summer!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @EvilRaccoon :heart: bubble tea! I've been having it at least once a week. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • I hear a lot of people on the thread saying they were diagnosed after one test. How many of you did the 3 hour test to verify? I am curious because I wasn't accepting of the first test since I barely failed and suspect the avocado I had with my eggs that morning may have put me over.
  • edited June 2018
    @hollyeva mine was diagnosed after the 3 hour. And that was after not eating or drink for 12 hours. 
  • @EvilRaccoon that was definitely something that popped into my mind. Fall is my favorite! I love apple cider and all the goodies that come with it. It sucks I will have to miss out on them.
  • @hollyeva - I don't think most docs diagnose you until you fail the 3 hour test (unless you refuse it and check your sugars instead). Obviously if your sugars are high when you check them they could diagnose you that way too. It's not uncommon to fail the 1 hour test and pass the 3 hour. I thought I'd pass the 3 hour with DS because I only failed the 1 hour by 1. I failed the 3 hour test miserably (my 2nd and 3rd hour sugars were way higher than they should have been). 
    *TW*
    Me:35 DH:35
    Dx: PCOS
    DS1 born 11/2014
    DS2 born 11/2018
    3 previous losses
    Rainbow baby due 12/2021 - Team Green

• @hollyeva - I was only given the 3hr test. Didn't get the opportunity to do the 1hr one. 

@EvilRaccoon - absolutely! Ice cream and bubble tea are wonderful! In general I have a huge sweet tooth but I feel like I'm craving extra sweets now. Yesterday I really wanted shaved ice with ice cream on the bottom & a snow cap (condensed milk poured on top).

• @hollyeva : in Quebec it is a 2 hour test, you drink the horrible juice and have your blood drawn 3 times. It is done in the end of the second trimester, unless, like me, you have diabetes in your family. I was supposed to do the test once in each trimester, but then since I've failed the first....well, at least no more horrible juice!

@kamahina9 : my dietitian said I can indulge sometimes, only to do it during a meal with proteins and fiber.  It will help your body process the threat without having your numbers go up too much. She also said that one peak number isn't too bad, it's the same number peaking for 3-4 days in a row that is bad.

Bubble Tea is life, especially milk honeydew!! Thank God for Del Monte who does pops tasting juste like them, and that are not to much full of sugar (16g for 2, not bad).
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Okay, thanks for the clarification all! I have a family history of it, which is why I take the test so early and often. This time they seemed eager to treat me after the 1 hour test without verifying it with the 3 hour test which made me suspicious.