July 2018 Moms
Options

Diabetes/GD support thread

It’s been a while...

How far along are you?

Management method (diet/exercise, insulin/other medication): 

Upcoming appointments: 

Any questions, things you are struggling with and need support on, or rants/raves? 

Feel free to share some meals/foods/recipes that are working for you, or foods you found you have to avoid

Re: Diabetes/GD support thread

• Options
    Posted selfishly because I’m struggling :frowning:

How far along are you?
    35+6

Metformin 

Upcoming appointments: 
    NST and midwife tomorrow, MFM Tuesday 

Any questions, things you are struggling with and need support on, or rants/raves? 
    So for about a week+ now my numbers are suddenly getting so hard to control. it’s been about a week since I’ve had fasting below 100 (usually it’s been 100-104), and suddenly now my lunch and dinner numbers are high after eating meals that have always been totally fine. Breakfast used to be a struggle and now suddenly it’s been fine. Is there any logic to GD?? So frustrated! I can’t believe I just ate shrimp with quinoa and got a 158! After taking a 20 minute walk too! For lunch I had 30 carbs total and got 170. Could this be some last crazy hormone surge or something? I can’t believe with 3-4 weeks to go I might have to go on insulin now. I’m just really frustrated and bummed. I’m so scared I’m hurting my baby and he’s suddenly going to grow too big. I feel like I’m failing my baby. 

Feel free to share some meals/foods/recipes that are working for you, or foods you found you have to avoid
    apparently nothings working for me anymore. 
  • Options
    @zande2016 ugh, I'm sorry. I'm 37w4d and my GD has also become more difficult to control. I'll be like 100, then two hours later 75, then two hours later 200. I was 208 after dinner the other night and I felt so awful. I couldnt sleep and was so sick and uncomfortable. IDK what they are going to say on Monday when I send in my numbers (mine is diet controlled). I had a growth scan Monday and it says baby is already 7lbs9oz- 89%ile. The baby's belly is 2 weeks ahead in the 98th%ile, arms and legs in 97%ile. Head is avg. Meanwhile, I've only gained 11 lbs total and my belly is measuring on track. WTF 
    Met: 1/21/2005
    Married: 6/27/2008
    DS: 3/14/2010 Planned, PG first try
    M/C 6/2012
    DD: 4/22/2013 Planned, UnDx Infertility, PG on our own
    BFP: 10/28/2016 Unplanned, HUGE SURPRISE! 
    M/C 12/12/2016
    BFP: 10/27/2017 Unplanned, HUGE SURPRISE
    EDD: 7/2/2018

Babysizer Manly Pregnancy Tracker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @WorkinWeezel I’m sorry you’re struggling too. I read it can get a lot harder to control at the end, but I also read that for some people it suddenly gets much easier In the last couple weeks. I sent my log in on Monday like I always
    do, and no one ever called me. Usually the nurse calls to tell me everything’s fine, except one time the doctor called himself to say he was concerned and wanted to change my meds. But they always call within a couple days. The whole week went by, and I spaced out and forgot that no one had called, and then today they call as I’m on an important work call. Voicemail from the MFM doctor, says we’ll have to talk on Monday! They were closed by the time I listened to the message. now I’m freaking out thinking he wants to start me on insulin and now I have to go all weekend without it and afraid I’m hurting my baby. Ugh so stressed over it. Also work was soooo busy I literally didn’t have a chance to eat lunch, finally ate a Greek yogurt (18 carbs, 12 G protein) at 4...went for a walk, and at 5 I was at 155! Wtf. But then I had whole wheat pasta with meat sauce for dinner and was at 128 an hour later. I just don’t get it. There’s no rhyme or reason. My baby measured 50% at 30 weeks and 59% at 34, so I’m terrified by 38 weeks he’ll suddenly measure too big. Sorry for the novel. 

• Options
    @zande2016 ugh I'm sorry. I am sure if it was urgent they would have asked you to call the emergency line. So frustrating. I drink a protein shake and I'll be 100; eat a piece of cake at my shower, 85. Makes zero sense.
    Met: 1/21/2005
    Married: 6/27/2008
    DS: 3/14/2010 Planned, PG first try
    M/C 6/2012
    DD: 4/22/2013 Planned, UnDx Infertility, PG on our own
    BFP: 10/28/2016 Unplanned, HUGE SURPRISE! 
    M/C 12/12/2016
    BFP: 10/27/2017 Unplanned, HUGE SURPRISE
    EDD: 7/2/2018

Babysizer Manly Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    How far along are you?
    34+3

Diet/exercise 

Upcoming appointments:
    ultrasound, NST, and 36w appt on 6/28

I can’t get my lunch numbers down. No matter what I eat, they’re always close to 150. DH went a little crazy yesterday morning because it’s Father’s Day weekend. He bought biscuits, donuts, and chocolate milk. I almost killed him. 

drinks always make my numbers worse. I’ve given up on everything, but water. Even unsweetened tea or black coffee
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    How far along are you? 34+4

Management method (diet/exercise, insulin/other medication):  Diet/exercise for now

Upcoming appointments: I have an MFM appt this afternoon.  So far my numbers have been pretty good.  Post-meal numbers were great so they were fine with my fasting numbers being a little high for about 3-4 days out of the week.  Although this past week my breakfast numbers have been high with meals that would normally work.

Any questions, things you are struggling with and need support on, or rants/raves?  I just don't know what to do for breakfast anymore.  I didn't have any bread whatsoever this morning and just had a coffee (with cream and no sweetener) and the egg white sous vide egg bites from starbucks which always work well for me (13g carbs and 13g protein) and my 1-hour number was 155.  I think I'm possibly headed for glyburide for fasting and breakfast numbers.  I don't want to start insulin this late in the game so hopefully they are fine with glyburide.  My MFM said it typically gets easier to control your numbers around 36 weeks (which I have always found to be true in previous pregnancies).  I'm almost 35 weeks so I don't know if they will bother with meds at this point or not.  I'm really curious about how this appt will go.  My fluid has been borderline or a little high for the past 3-4 weeks which I assume is from GD.  So we'll see if that plays into their decision.    

Feel free to share some meals/foods/recipes that are working for you, or foods you found you have to avoid.  I'm at my last resort for my bedtime snack: greek yogurt.  I really hate it but choke it down anyway.  I get the chobani blended strawberry or mixed berry and put a little whipped cream on top to cut the tartness.  Some days my fasting numbers are in the 80's and then some days around 95.  I think the amount of time I sleep factors into it the most.  If I sleep 8 hours (with a wake-up or two to pee) then my numbers are high.  My number was 81 this morning probably because I only slept 6.5 hours.  
    Married 9/19/09
    Me (32) Dx PCOS, DH (32) SA = Normal/mild morph issues
    TTC#5 July 2017 - 3rd cycle TTC = BFP on 11/12/17 at 9dpo Beta #1 = 96 at 13dpo - Beta #2 = 207 at 15dpo
    TTC#1  starting Nov. 2009
    3 rounds of Clomid + TI and 3 rounds of 7.5 mg Femara + IUI before our BFP on 11/8/10 at 12dpiui
    TTC #2 3rd cycle of Femara 7.5mg+Ovidrel+TI = 4 follies = BFP on 10/12/12 
    TTC#3 July 2014 - Metformin +TI = BFP at 9dpo - Twins, one baby lost at 5.5 weeks 
    Macy Annabelle born at 37w4d on 4/29/15.  Diagnosed with Cri du Chat and passed away on 6/6/15.  Forever in our hearts.
    TTC#4 3rd cycle of Metformin + Femara 7.5mg+Ovidrel+TI = 3 follies = BFP on 12/24/16
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @Sarafuss I’m being started on insulin today just for fasting...on the one hand I felt like it’s so late in the game to start this. I’m almost 37 weeks. I obviously want to do what’s best
    for the baby, but part of me wonders if it’ll calm down on its own when I hit 37. Plus I’m being induced at 39 so basically I’m going on insulin for 2-2.5 weeks. I definitely notice on nights when my sleep is uninterrupted my fasting is better, but that basically never happens these days. For breakfast I struggled for sooo long and couldn’t eat any carbs, now suddenly I can have 15 carbs with breakfast and my number is fine, but suddenly the lunch and dinner numbers are more sensitive. It’s so weird. I can’t make any sense of it. I hope you manage to avoid meds, we are so close at this point. 
  • Options
    How far along are you?
    35+5

Metformin 1000mg once per day

Upcoming appointments: 
    just went to the endocrinologist this morning.  I met the PA because my dr left the practice. She's happy with everything

I never actually had a GD test because I was on metformin prior to pregnancy so OB just considers me GD.  The endo PA didn't seem to think I actually have it. I don't follow the diet and my numbers are always good. But I know its the metformin keeping it in check. So I still don't know what to say when someone asks if I have it.  The other problem is I cannot remember to check my sugars.  I remember my fasting but always forget after meals. My OB says I only need to check every other day... but I just went like 4 days without checking post meals, WHY CAN'T I REMEMBER!?!?

The only thing that spikes my sugar (other than legit sugary things) is too many flour tortillas .. which is tough with a half mexican husband... lol
  • Options
    @zande2016 I met with the NP for my appt today so she doesn't make the final decision. But she said when I send in my numbers on Thursday (I send them in by email every Thursday) that she thinks they will probably start me on 2.5mg glyburide at bedtime.  Which I'm fine with.  I'm hoping getting my fasting and breakfast numbers under control will bring my fluid down a little.  Is there a reason they didn't start with oral meds for you?  I prefer insulin but with such little time left I would prefer the oral meds because they are easier (and cheaper).  And I think the hospital treats you differently post-delivery if you are on insulin.  With my last baby, they tried keeping me on the GD diet in the hospital after delivery and I was like um, NOPE!  I had to fight them on that and I don't know why they felt I should still be on the GD diet after I had the baby.  
    Married 9/19/09
    TTC#5 July 2017 - 3rd cycle TTC = BFP on 11/12/17 at 9dpo Beta #1 = 96 at 13dpo - Beta #2 = 207 at 15dpo
    3 rounds of Clomid + TI and 3 rounds of 7.5 mg Femara + IUI before our BFP on 11/8/10 at 12dpiui
    TTC#3 July 2014 - Metformin +TI = BFP at 9dpo - Twins, one baby lost at 5.5 weeks 
    Macy Annabelle born at 37w4d on 4/29/15.  Diagnosed with Cri du Chat and passed away on 6/6/15.  Forever in our hearts.
    TTC#4 3rd cycle of Metformin + Femara 7.5mg+Ovidrel+TI = 3 follies = BFP on 12/24/16
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @Sarafuss because I’m already on oral medication. I’m pretty much maxed out on the amount of metformin they’ll give me, so they’re keeping that the same and adding 4 units of slow acting insulin at bedtime. I’m kind of scared to go pick it up and see how much it costs! Eeek. It seems like I’ll be treated the same in terms of when they want to induce me, I need to clarify if the insulin means more monitoring during labor (I really hope not!). And all along I’ve been meaning to speak with the hospital pediatrician/NICU to see how they’ll will treat the baby (in terms of how often they’ll check his blood sugar, and confirming he can stay with me the whole time as long as thinks look fine), so I am nervous the insulin could add to them wanting to take him away from me. As far as the diet, nope no way, if my body is no longer nourishing a growing baby, I will eat my pizza dammit! Even if I have to sneak it in. I’m pretty disappointed after all this time of controlling with metformin alone I’m being put on insulin so close to the end
  • Options
    @zande2016 ahh that's right, I forgot that you were also on metformin.  I know all hospitals are different, but for me I don't think they treated me differently during L&D or treated the baby differently due to me being on insulin.  They checked his blood sugar after birth and since it was fine that was the end of it.  They may have checked it during the other newborn checks they do but it didn't seem like anything out of the ordinary.  I know they checked my blood sugar every hour (if I'm remembering correctly, it was hourly) during L&D though which was super annoying.  But I was induced due to pre-e and had an epidural so I was on the monitors the whole time.  So I'm not sure what the monitoring would look like for insulin if you were trying to go med-free or went into spontaneous labor. 
    Married 9/19/09
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @Sarafuss that’s reassuring. I Know I’ve read it’s important to keep your sugar levels normal during labor because If they’re high the baby could be born low. And yet they tell you you’re not allowed to eat. Makes so much sense! Basically I am really hoping to go into spontaneous labor and will stay home as long as possible to avoid extra monitoring/interventions. Just have to find the energy for all that cervix ripening sex...ugh