December 2018 Moms
Options

Product Spotlight 6/18 - Baby Carriers!

hkomhkom member
edited June 2018 in December 2018 Moms
Is anyone itching to know about anything in particular?

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Product Spotlight 6/18 - Baby Carriers!

• Options
    How about carriers! Wraps, SSC, and ring slings?
    *Loss 8/2014*
    *Rainbow 8/2015*
    *Expected Rainbows 12/2018*
    *Loss of Twin 5/2018*

• Options
    hkomhkom member
    @texas_t I like it!

BabyFruit Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    So.... I have 3 (I know, I know, I know) SSC (all standard Tulas) that I used with my DS.  I currently have a Todder Tula that I use for him, so I have 3 standards available for new baby boy.  The weight limit starts at 15 lbs, so unless i have a newborn insert, I won't be able to use that for a few months.  I'm trying to decided if I want to buy a Free to Grow Tula that I can use starting at 7 lbs, a wrap (I've been looking at the Solly Baby wraps), or if I want to try a ring sling again.  I love the idea of a ring sling, but darnit if I couldn't figure it out with DS1. 

Any thoughts?  
    *Loss 8/2014*
    *Rainbow 8/2015*
    *Loss of Twin 5/2018*

• Options
    @texas_t Have you considered the Ergo? It has a newborn insert and it's super easy to use (which I why I bought it - I could not figure out the complicated wraps, haha.) I think we have the Ergo 360? My DD did not like being worn at all, but I'm excited to use it with this LO!
  • Options
    @maureenmce I initially had an Ergo with my son but I think due to my short t-rex arms, I COULD NOT get it buckled by myself! 
    *Loss 8/2014*
    *Rainbow 8/2015*
    *Loss of Twin 5/2018*

• Options
    I used a Ktan infant carrier with ds2. It was so helpful so I could still keep up with ds1. I had a no name brand basic carrier (not infant specific) I used sometimes with ds1 (walmart brand I think). The way his legs hung out would sometimes cause venous congratation (leg would look a little purple), so I didn’t use it often. Also with just one kid I didn’t need a carrier that often. It was just positional I think. 
  • Options
    DS1 is and August baby, so it was blazing hot when he was born.  I'm thinking I MAY try the solly wrap and pre-wrap before I go out.  It will be great because it will be cold! (Praise Jesus.)
    *Loss 8/2014*
    *Rainbow 8/2015*
    *Loss of Twin 5/2018*

• Options
    I have a wrap but I didn't love it.
    I am highly considering a lillebaby complete for this baby so I have something to use from newborn right up through toddler (though, I probably wouldn't use it must as a toddler, I'm 5 feet tall and petite so carrying a toddler is hard when I have big children!)
  • Options
    hkomhkom member
    I'm registered for a Bobby Comfyfit and a Baby K'tan.  I'll probably do away with one of those and add something more like an Ergo since H will be more likely to use something along those lines.

I haven't looked into slings.  I feel like it will feel unstable but IDK considering I've never worn one!  

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    @texas_t LOL at T-rex arms!
  • Options
    I had a Beco when the twins were babies, but we didn't use it much. I couldn't put two of them in a carrier, so we just took the double stroller everywhere.  I was so looking forward to using a carrier too! 

I'm currently kind of set on the Tula free to grow because I never seem to be able to figure out wraps.  However, a girl at church just had a baby and uses a wrap - they baby looks so comfortable in it!  Also, as mentioned before, it will be December, so a wrap might be kind of nice.  I'm definitely interested in this thread to see if there is something I haven't looked into (probably the case).
  • Options
    tumbleweed-1tumbleweed-1 member
    edited June 2018
    @Activebaby how easy/hard was the K’tan? I registered for one for my SO (one of the “active” style ones) because he is a sweaty person and it seemed like the most breathable babywear option for him.

I registered for a moby wrap for me (although we could trade occasionally, we are about the same size). I don’t need a moby specifically, if anyone else has a wrap they recommend. I prefer the sling style aesthetically, but I think a wrap would be best for weight distribution and baby positioning. 
    My friend said that most wrap style carriers only work until baby is about 25lbs, and she recommended I add an ergo for later on too. That seems like so many carriers! But we’d like to have more than one kid, so I guess it is worth it in the long run? Especially if we end up in a 2 under 2 situation down the road. 
    Edit-typo
  • Options
    @sungglyduckling25 I love my Tulas so much! They are so easy and comfy.  You may think about starting with a wrap and then just buying a used Tula if you want to do both.  I bought a toddler one on ebay that looked brand new for $100. I've seen tons of standards going for around $90,
    *Loss 8/2014*
    *Rainbow 8/2015*
    *Loss of Twin 5/2018*

• Options
    We've done a large spectrum of carriers over here:

1. K'Tan: Pros: awesome and easy introduction to babywearing. Cheaper than a lot of options. Cons: my husband couldn't wear mine and versa because sizing, and my daughter was big enough that it started feeling insecure around 15 lbs or so (I don't know how they get off claiming that you can use those up to 35 pounds). I think that's a super common problem with stretchy wraps, which is why we didn't bother with any others, and why we'll probably skip the K'Tan this time around.

2. Tula SSC! Standard size, and we started with the infant insert; even with Nugget at 2 years old and 30 pounds, I can and do still use it. Pros: comfortable AF, easy to use, adjustable, works well for carrying from little to big, front and back. Cute patterns. Cons: My husband hates the pattern I picked and won't use it. Too bulky to stow in the diaper bag, so you've gotta commit to it. Gets a little warm in the summer. Need an infant insert for littles. 

3. Ring slings: we've got a few of these. Pros: not a terrible learning curve, my husband felt comfortable using one (he found it easier than the K'Tan, I tend to think they're comparable), compact enough that it could live in the diaper bag, good from when she was super little. More affordable than a woven wrap. Our linen one was great for hot weather. Cons: it got to be a real strain on my shoulder to carry Nugget for a long period of time; it was really good mostly for the first year. 

4. Wraps. Lots and lots of woven wraps, in various fabrics. Pros: gorgeous designs; felt more like an accessory than a babywearing device. Comfort comparable to a Tula, and superior flexibility since I could adjust to carry her however I needed to to be comfortable (back, front, off to the side, tied in front, tied in back, support wherever she and I needed it). Widest possible variety of styles/materials/colors to suit your preference. Similar to the Tula: I can and do still use them for my toddler, but I could also use them easily from the time she was super little. Cons: steeper learning curve. Even cooler, thinner fabrics tend to be warmer. Somewhat more expensive (maybe just because I felt the need to have one in every concievable color?), although you can get some great deals, especially if you're willing to buy used.
  • Options
    @texas_t ooh...that's not a bad thought either.  I might start looking around on websites just to see my options.
  • Options
    Facebook has Tula B/S/T groups! That's a good place, too!
    *Loss 8/2014*
    *Rainbow 8/2015*
    *Loss of Twin 5/2018*

• Options
    kristah2kristah2 member
    edited June 2018
    My issue with the wrap from newborn is I found getting baby in was hard when the wrap was tied tight enough but if baby was easier to get in the wrap would slowly become more loose and I would lose the correct position. I just don't have the patience anymore.
    I also found for winter months its too cold to take off my coat and put on outside but also too hard to tie sitting in the car versus a carrier I could just clip on. 

ETA: probably just me though. I know SO many people who LOVE their sollybaby and wouldn't wear anything else. 
  • Options
    @kristah2 Did you have a solly? I had a moby the first time and didn't love it because it was sooooo bulky

*Loss 8/2014*
    *Rainbow 8/2015*
    *Loss of Twin 5/2018*

• Options
    I didn't have the solly - I bought something that reviews said were pretty comparable but I did find the material a little thicker. My cousin LOVED her solly and swore she would never wear anything else. She wore that child from the time she was born until she was too active to stay in it anymore. 
  • Options
    I have a baby bjorn that was passed down to me and I still use it from time to time with my one year old. The bottom weight limit was 8 lbs so it was convenient for when she was born.
    I bought a k-tan on the facebook marketplace when she was like 2-3 months old and never figured out how to use lol
  • Options
    I used the k’tan with DS until he was about 6 months old (once I was brave enough to figure it out). I loved that I could nurse in it and that I could love around well and feel like he was secure.  It was also great when we flew. He could nurse on take off and landing he could nurse on take off and landing PA , was comfortable, and less likely to come in contact with germs. If you go this route, I highly recommend looking up the tutorials on YouTube. They were much more helpful than than the written instructions.

Once he got too big for it, I bought an ergo, which I also loved. It was breathable, he could also nurse  it was breathable, he could also nurse in it, he was secure, and his weight was evenly distributed. I had the same problem as @texas_t because I also have short arms, but I figured out that if I pulled it over my head and tightened it once it was on, I was fine.

• Options
    What I've got:

K'Tan: Overall positive experience, not super difficult to use. I didn't want to mess around with a wrap but this seemed like a good compromise. It's probably the wrap I got most comfortable with.

Nesting Days Skin-to-Skin carrier: This is a neat (if slightly bewildering) little carrier that you pop baby right into so you can have modest skin-to-skin and be able to carry him/her around the house. Two problems specific to our situation: my kid hated being carried unless he was asleep or about to fall asleep, and also he was on oxygen for a bit and the sensor was on his foot, super touchy, and a beast to put on. So putting him in there almost wasn't worth it. I'm really hoping to be able to use this more for this child, though.

An embarrassing number of Wildbird ring slings: Okay, only three. (I say only because some of these women...they're crazy.) I'm too lazy to scroll up to see who was asking, but ring slings aren't super difficult to figure out! If you join the Facebook community there are tons of tips and you can post a picture of yourself wearing baby and get feedback on the seat, etc.

Lillebaby 360? I think?: I have the Lillebaby that you can unzip to cool baby. It's good. I don't wear it a ton, but it's handy for airports and stuff.

I've been flirting with getting an onbuhimo so I can back-carry my son, but am finding it difficult to pull the trigger because I know he probably won't love it. He's just not a carrying kid. Neither was I, apparently -- I used to put my arms and legs straight out so my parents couldn't put me in their carrier.
    Me: 31 | DH: 31
    Together since 2003 | Married 2010
    TTC #1 January 2016
    BFP April 18 2016 | EDD December 29, 2016
    Welcome baby A! January 9, 2017

TTC#2 March 2018
    BFP March 30, 2018 | EDD December 12, 2018