January 2018 Moms

Vacation Advice

We are planning our first vacation with LO! We'll be taking a road trip to New Jersey from Chicago to visit family. It's about a 12 hour trip so we are planning to break it up into 2 days. Has anyone traveled with baby yet? Any tips to make it an easy ride?

Re: Vacation Advice

• I've never really done more than three hours in a car before with a young baby , but I do recommend frequent stops, every two to three hours or so to feed and let the baby free from the carrier.  Have toys at the ready.
  • We're going to the beach in August and will be in the same boat.  Some advice will be different depending on if you are Bfing or FFing. 
    1. Either way baby has to eat every 3 hrs or so so as @egirl1025 said plan on taking longer to get there and stopping frequently.  Also handy to carry your pump and have a way to do it in the car if LO is sleeping through a feed or if you feel more comfortable feeding LO a bottle instead of BFing publicly.  
    2. To save room in the car, pack only as many diapers as needed for the trip and buy diapers for the stay when you get there, if that is convenient.  
    3. If you are staying in a hotel they more than likely will provide a pnp, if requested.  Go ahead and request that when reserving a room.  Either way I would make sure to bring a blanket or lovey or something from home that they are used to cuddling (maybe even a tshirt you wore) to help ease sleeping in a new place.
    4. Prepare yourself for a crappy sleeper.  Our LO is not that awesome when she's at a new location.  Sometimes naps are non existent since it's all new and exciting, sometimes she wakes up a couple times at night because she just isn't settled.  Try to stick to a routine like you do at home.