February 2019 Moms

Job decisions/limitations

Hey everyone : )

im wondering if anyone else is finding themselves wondering “hmmm should I be doing this now” during the course of the day at their jobs? 

Specifically if anyone is LEO (which I am). My job requires me to be in the office half of the time and the other part is field work, which is going to potential dangerous peoples homes. Everyone at my job has a different take on it and department policy leaves it up to me. Part of me thinks my body will tell me when it’s time to just stay in the office. But is anyone else in this position?

Thanks in advance!

Re: Job decisions/limitations

• For jobs like this (police/fire/military), they typically have policies in place. Do you know what they are?

KBJ-SEJ married 8.18.2012
    BMJ born 5.27.2014
    MMC 7.2.2015 @ 5w5d
    SMEJ born 6.5.2016
    BFP 6.8.2018 EDD 02.18.2019

• There is nothing specific to pregnancy, but there is a vague “you should be medically able to perform your job”. Since it’s so early, I only told my immediate supervisor (who is also a dear friend) and she said to do whatever I feel comfortable with. A lot of people stop doing field work “when their vest doesn’t fit anymore.”
  • Loading the player...
  • When I was pregnant with my first I provided behavioral support in a special education program. Lots of aggression, biting, spitting, hitting, head butting, etc. I talked to my OB about when I should stick to desk work. She basically said to listen to my body. I told the other girls I worked with really early and they took on the more intensive kids. I’d talk with your OB though and get their opinion!
  • We have very clear policy about responding to code white situations or aggressive and hostile situations. I’m not to respond to anything that poses an immediate risk but what that is really is up to my discretion. My last pregnancy was after 3 years of infertility and pregnancy loss (and ultimately an IVF pregnancy) so I tend to take a more conservative approach.
  • I’m in a sticky situation too, as I’m a pediatric oncology nurse and give chemotherapy as well as take care of patients who are cytotoxic (chemo is excreted in bodily fluids). Some of the previous nurses who have been pregnant have moved departments, per their doctors. One is pregnant now and her doctor said it was fine to continue doing what she’s doing as long as she’s using PPE. I called my doctor when I found out and asked what he thought and he said to continue what I’m doing for now. It still makes me nervous though! I’ve had to tell some of my coworkers that I’m pregnant so that they could trade me assignments. But I’m not sure what to do going forward! 

Are You able to stay at 100% desk work? 
  • **lurking from Jan'19** @squishy0511 I'm in a similar situation to you.. I'm a pharmacist that has to check/handle chemotherapy at my job. Last time I asked other pharmacists to do all the checking/handling but then **TW** I ended up losing that baby **End TW**. This time I decided that I would only tell my direct supervisors and would check the drugs/handle finished products while wearing PPE, but refrain from doing any actual compounding myself. I also wear chemo resistant gloves throughout my whole shift just in case there is contamination on any surfaces that are supposedly free of hazardous drugs. I would definitely be extra careful (esp in the first trimester). PPE, if used appropriately, definitely minimizes the risks significantly, but I would worry about accidental contamination from others who may not be as concerned about using the PPE appropriately. And definitely make sure the gloves you use are certified to be chemo resistant- as I'm sure you know, some gloves aren't tested against hazardous drugs and even ones that are have specific "resistance times" listed for the different drugs. Good luck!!
  • @Mandamay1414 thank you so much for your reply!! It is nice to hear from others in similar situations. It is hard because it’s such a grey area. I’m sure it’s even harder for you since you usually compound the drugs! Our chemo comes already in a piggy back with the line already primed with saline, and we use gowns, double gloves and face shields when we hang chemo. But I’m also worried about accidental exposure like you mentioned! Or if somehow there’s a chemo spill if the line comes disconnected or something.  I suppose I will just wear chemo gloves in the patients room no matter what! I’m also really worried about urine because we dump urine and there’s definitely a possibility of splashes. So I’ve been wearing a gown and double gloves for dumping urine too. Do you have any idea how much chemo is actually excreted in urine? 
  • I’m a former social worker and home visits was the bulk of my work for a while.  When I was pregnant with DS, I assessed each home environment I visited regularly for dangers.  Though I did not have aggressive clients, I did have clients with poor hygiene/home upkeep and hoarding issues, which could have threatened my safety.  I continued to see a few of these clients in my office and transferred those who required in home help to coworkers.  There was not a specific policy in my work place either.
  • @squishy0511 I don't know off the top of my head for each drug, but if you have access to databases like micromedex for uptodate you can look at the pharmacokenetics section. That should tell you what percent is excreted in urine (as parent drug or metabolites). Unfortunately, some metabolites can be just as dangerous as the parent drugs :(
  • Thanks for everyone’s input! I’m glad to know that I’m not the only one going through this. I can be at the desk 100% of the time if need be (it just puts more work on my co-workers) but many females have been pregnant at my job and people fully understand. I think as things come up and depending on how I’m feeling, my body will answer for me!
  • @dogmom1118, you’re not alone. My job doesn’t have a policy (they should though). I’m a home visitor so I’ve decided I will not be meeting people in their homes where domestic violence is happening. We will find alternative places in the community to meet.