High-Risk Pregnancy

GD Help + Advice

Hi fellow moms, 

So I was recently diagnosed with Gestational Diabetes. I feel really alone right now. My hormones are raging, so one minute I'll be excited to start this healthy life style, and the next I'll be crying because all I want is pizza and life is soooo unfair and all that. The only good news is that according to the doctors, the baby is fine, which is a HUGE relief. (Although I'm still very nervous I'll do something to screw that up :(

I would love some advice (maybe something you learned that you wish you knew at the start), or just a simple "me too!" So I know I'm not alone. Also, did any of you feel shame for getting this diagnosis? I'm young, my BMI has always been in the ideal range, and I've never had any serious health issues. So when I found this out, I felt like I did something majorly wrong (I do eat very unhealthy, I will admit it) or that something was already really wrong with me and I didn't know about it. I know it's something I shouldn't feel embarrassed about, yet I do. Any tips on that? I feel like I let myself and my baby down. :(

Oh,and let's say I eat a pizza. My doctor says my levels should be 130 or lower, and I score 130 or lower. Does that mean I get to eat pizza every once in a while, or do I have to avoid all food that is considered unhealthy, even if my levels don't spike? 

Re: GD Help + Advice

• I am in the exact same boat as you. I got the news last week and have been following the diet for a week now. I shave the same mood swings of being excited about the healthy diet and uncontrollably crying. I broke down in the grocery store once when my husband and I where trying to plan our weekly dinners and had to go to the car while he finished. Its so hard to deal with while you're so emotional! 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Type 1 DM here! The thing about pizza is... it raises your blood sugar hours after you eat it. When I take insulin for pizza, I have to stretch 40% of my dose out over 7 hours. 7! I am fine 1 hour, 2 hours after I eat. It's the next few hours after that that I will see spikes if I didn't do my insulin correctly. Just something to think about if you decide to try pizza for dinner. You don't want to go to bed high!

Also, I will never be GD.. so I don't know if the fact that pizza raises slowly over a long period of time means that it's easier for your body to handle the sugar. Idk. Or if you just have the same resistance that I'll deal with in 3rd tri. God bless us.

Dreamfields "low glycemic index " pasta is the same. It drags it out a little longer than 2 hours so that by the time my insulin is finished working within 2 hours, THEN my blood sugar spikes. Lame for me. So I'd be careful with that too.

Mexican is the devil. Sorry.

Me: 27 years old            DH: 27 years old
    Type 1 Diabetes since 2001, MTHFR hetero A1298T
    Dogs: Raider 4 yrs, Dex 4 yrs
    Married in July 2014
    TTC #1 since late Feb 2016
    BFP #1 3/29/16     MMC: 5/5/16
    BFP #2 7/6/16    SCH, D&C 8/4/16
    BFP #3 12/26/16     EDD: 9/6/17
    My Chart / My Diabetes/Pregnancy Blog
    My Type 1/TTC/Pregnancy Podcast: 
    Juicebox Podcast Episode 118
    A1Cs:
    1/12/16 6.7%
    5/25/16 6.0%
    11/2/16 6.1%
    3/22/16 5.8%
    4/27/17 5.4%
    6/13/17 5.3%

"Sugar Fancy Tutu"
  • Loading the player...
  • lmm9lmm9 member
    Also type 1 here but not diagnosed until I was an adult...best thing is to meet with a nutritionist! Also watching for "dawn phenomenon" which is usually your bs spiking in the early morning. Up your protein as much as you can my "pregnancy breakfast" was 2 scrambled eggs, 5.5 ounces of strawberries and 16 oz of milk...ate this most everyday and my bs in the morning were pretty great because I ate less carbs.   Avoid cereal...it's the devil
  • Agreed. Cereal is the devil. But it was my favorite thing pre-pregnancy :(

Me: 27 years old            DH: 27 years old
    Type 1 Diabetes since 2001, MTHFR hetero A1298T
    Dogs: Raider 4 yrs, Dex 4 yrs
    Married in July 2014
    TTC #1 since late Feb 2016
    BFP #1 3/29/16     MMC: 5/5/16
    BFP #2 7/6/16    SCH, D&C 8/4/16
    BFP #3 12/26/16     EDD: 9/6/17
    My Chart / My Diabetes/Pregnancy Blog
    My Type 1/TTC/Pregnancy Podcast: 
    Juicebox Podcast Episode 118
    A1Cs:
    1/12/16 6.7%
    5/25/16 6.0%
    11/2/16 6.1%
    3/22/16 5.8%
    4/27/17 5.4%
    6/13/17 5.3%

"Sugar Fancy Tutu"
  • Hi all,

I was diagnosed with GD since week 12 of my pregnancy, checking my blood 5x a day and on Meformin. I am now 18 weeks pregnant. They have told me that the possibility of being switched to insulin shots is very high when I got 22 weeks, because that's when pur hormones spike yet again. 

Initially, i felt just like you - it wasnt fair that I had to be on this strict low carb, low sugar diet while it seemed like every other prego lady out there could eat whatever she wanted. However, I've realized that GD is a blessing in disguise. My whole family has type 2 diabetes, and since having GD I've felt the healthiest that I've ever been. I'm down 10 lbs since the start of my pregnancy and the doctors said they anticipate little to no weight gain for me. Prior to pregnancy, I was the most selfish person out there. It was all about me. But since this pregnancy and GD, my thinking has shifted to doing whatever it takes to keep this baby healthy AND its a sign that I need to change my lifestyle and make my health more a priority since I'm predisposed to Type 2. Plus, I'm not a huge person! (5'2, 145lbs, 35yrs). 

Don't feel alone (I know easier said than done), but alot of my previously pregnant or currently pregnant friends envy me because they are facing 50lb+ weight gains and here I am getting smaller framed (face, arms, and back are the most noticeable, plus my wedding rings are loose on me).

There are a ton of diabetic and sugar free and low carb options out there and when i discovered that , I was so incredibly happy! Cakes, ice creams, you name it, it's out there! I utilize Pinterest and other social media sites to find it out. It's also really similar to the Keto diet so read up on that as well. 

You got this!