October 2018 Moms
Options

High Risk Check-In (May)

I thought this thread could serve as a sounding board for those of us with the "high risk" designation.  Or even moms who previously were and are not this time...we will take all the experience and advice we can gather!

What's your story? (AMA, Diabetes, History of Pre-E, Shoulder dystocia, placenta previa...etc)
Is this your first pregnancy?  You first High Risk pregnancy?
Any special care required?
Questions, comments, concerns?

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: High Risk Check-In (May)

• Options
    What's your story? (AMA, Diabetes, History of Pre-E, Shoulder dystocia, placenta previa...etc)
    I am a T1D, and also have a history of pre-E (HELLP syndrome with my first, but not my second).  Both kids were a shoulder dystocia.  

This is my 3rd pregnancy.  I was diagnosed with GD at 28w with my last pregnancy so that was a standard concern on top of the pre-e risk.  I now know that I had latent T1D and not really GD at all.  So this pregnancy is actually considered safer because my sugars are monitored and in control from the jump.  

Lots of extra blood work, and a daily baby asprin.  I send my sugars to my endo every week so she can modify my insulin if necessary.  And after I'm 32 weeks I will have a couple of extra US and Non-stress tests.  Growth scans will determine if we need to consider a planned C (due to history of shoulder dystocia- although my other 2 deliveries were vaginal and I want to avoid that if possible).  

Wondering if anyone else has experience with previous vaginal births and then subsequent C-sections.  It's not a definite but the possibility scares me.  

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Is this your first pregnancy?  You first High Risk pregnancy? I am a thyroid cancer survivor. I have no thyroid or parathyroid glands. I have no control over calcium levels. This is my second pregnancy, but the first time I’ve been referred to MFM for prenatal care and delivery. Apparently the lack of thyroid can cause really small or really big babies depending on my hormone levels.

Any special care required? Extra blood work and ultrasounds. Medication for nausea to make sure my calcium levels and thyroid levels dont dio due to nausea and vomitting.

Questions, comments, concerns? I have to drive 90 minutes to Duke University Hospital when i deliver. Im really worried about waiting to long to go. I am also worried about having another big baby and tearing all over again. I do know my care will be better with the MFM doctors.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I’m old (will be 38 when I deliver), over-weight, pregnant with identical twins who share a placenta, and have a history of preterm delivery (27 week singleton and 33 week twins). 
    Third pregnancy, second considered high risk. 
    So many ultrasounds, plus a couple fetal echocardiograms. They’re also watching me closely for gestational hypertension/pre-e. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    What's your story? 

I’ll be 39 when I deliver, which seems to be the least of what my doctor is worried about. She is most concerned about my risk for developing GD and preeclampsia. 

First anything. 

I did a three hour glucose screening at 16? weeks.  I’m on a daily aspirin regimen to reduce the risk of preeclampsia.   Otherwise, everything seems to be as expected for lower risk pregnancies.  

Questions, comments, concerns?  Nope. 
  • Options
    I have a history of Pre-e. I had it severe with my 1st, and mild with my 2nd. The assumption is that I will most likely get it again. I also have GD, which was diagnosed early. I had it with my 2nd. 

This is my 3rd pregnancy, my first being high risk from the beginning. With my 1st, I wasn’t high risk until 36 weeks and with my 2nd, until 34 weeks. 

I get to see the perinatologist for growth checks as well as my OB and I’m also seeing the diabetes counselor once a week, hopefully down to once every 2 weeks soon. I know as we get closer, I’ll be doing twice a week NSTs and check ups. 

Juggling all my appointments is going to be a fun! 
  • Options
    Pre-E and HELLP syndrome

Second pregnancy, first was great until they had to do an emergency c-section due to being diagnosed with  HELLP

Daily aspirin, MFM appointments

Planning on a second c-section and hoping I get to that date

• Options
    Seeing my OB tomorrow....I want to bring up some of m concerns about labor (I want a vaginal birth--he already said he thinks that's possible but we have to wait til growth scans later--don't want another epidural, etc), but I feel like its too soon to talk delivery since my AS isn't until next week....I talk myself out of bringing it up every month....it feels like we have plenty of time, but I don't want to wait too long either bc I genuinely want to hear his opinion and if it flies in the face of what I want, I will need time to process....

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @missbridg I’m a FTM and I already feel like it’s never to early to start talking delivery. I started discussing it with both my OB and my MFM at my first few appointments. Like you said we need time to process, weigh decisions and get ourselves mentally prepared for anything to happen!
  • Options

I was diagnosed type 2 diabetic shortly after finding out I was pregnant with this babe. I'm not surprised, between genetics, pcos, and my weight it was bound to happen. I was also borderline pre-e with DS.

Is this your first pregnancy?  You first High Risk pregnancy? 5th pregnancy (3 mc, 1 DS) but first high risk.

Daily 81 mg aspirin. I also check my sugar 4 times daily and my BP morning and night and submitt them weekly to my MFM. I will also need extra US starting at 22 weeks to monitor growth.

Questions, comments, concerns? I'm concerned about everything honestly. I'm just anxious for my appointment Friday. I feel fine but I've only felt baby move a handful of time (which is totally normal at this point) and I really just want to know that everything is ok. 
  • Options
    nmadjeski said:

I was diagnosed type 2 diabetic shortly after finding out I was pregnant with this babe. 
    I feel for you.  I was DX about 3 months before getting pregnant and I was just saying the other day that I feel lucky to have had that short time to get used to monitoring and the diet....I imagine it's very hard to be DX while pregnant.  There is already so much you have to adjust.  

I'm def here to vent to.  

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Hope you guys don't mind if I join in...new here but I guess I go here now.

Previous blood clot has me on blood thinners for pregnancy. I thought it was NBD but doc has got it labeled as high risk as of my last appt. She still hasn't said anything particularly scary, though.

Yes and yes

Just injecting myself in the stomach nightly, and then will be induced. That's all I've heard so far.

The fact that she's now calling it high risk on paperwork is a bit concerning. Great for insurance coverage, but concerning. She hasn't said anything yet, but knows I suffer from some anxiety (not on meds, just who I am!) so I'm a little skeptical that she's holding some suspicions in the wings and just isn't saying anything until we truly need to worry. Also hoping baby has finally tilted forward by next u/s so that I don't need to deal with that, too.
  • Options

The fact that she's now calling it high risk on paperwork is a bit concerning. Great for insurance coverage, but concerning. She hasn't said anything yet, but knows I suffer from some anxiety (not on meds, just who I am!) so I'm a little skeptical that she's holding some suspicions in the wings and just isn't saying anything until we truly need to worry. Also hoping baby has finally tilted forward by next u/s so that I don't need to deal with that, too.
    Hey girl.  So my OB was pretty clear about this with me:  That "high risk" is a term they use every single day that has many meanings and no meaning.  He assured me that what it meant was that I would be more closely monitored.  That the "risks" of pregnancy are the same, but other circumstances make them watch you more closely.  So if it helps you to think of it as beneficial for insurance, this is along the same lines.  They need that high risk code to get access to the extra monitoring they want- so that if a complication arises, they can nip it in the bud.

Also- I'm an anxious person too.  No meds, but regular therapy and CBT exercises for panic attacks.  So believe me, I so get where you are coming from.  

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks @missbridg, appreciate the insight!
    I just found it weird that we knew I had to take blood thinner all along, but nothing on my paperwork was labeled high risk until my last appointment a few weeks ago. I may ask her for context next week at the next appointment - hopefully she'll share a similar soundbite!
  • Options
    @MissBridg thanks! I really wish I had the time to get used to it but I'm grateful it's being addressed now. I needed to vent, it's just frustrating and nerve wracking.

*TW*
    With DS I failed my 1 hr, passed my 3 hr, and upon losing 5 lbs at 35 weeks my OB made me start checking my sugar. At my 38 week appointment i showed my OB my readings ( mind you nothing was explained to me other than that I needed to record the readings) I was told I was lucky my son was alive and rushed across the street to be induced. 6 weeks later  I took the 1 hr and passed no problem.  They told me was borderline diabetic and to watch what i eat and I'd be good. And fast forward to now...  *End TW*

• Options
    AMA (40yrs), overweight 

5th baby, 2nd high risk

Additional glucose testing for possible GD

My previous pregnancy in addition to AMA and being overweight, my anatomy scan detected some anomaly in my daughter's growth (forgot what they called it exactly). From then until my scheduled induction, I had weekly stress tests and ultrasounds. Naturally I'm anxious about this scan at the end of the month and praying it doesn't reveal any similar findings.
  • Options
    Sorry to post on an old thread, but I just searched HELLP on here. @joey2831 I had HELLP with my first pregnancy, too. I have still never met someone in real life who’s had it. I’m on baby aspirin, calcium, extra MFM appointments, and hoping to make it to 37 weeks. Are you on the HELLP FB group? 
    Together since '07
    Married since '12
    Off the pill since 5/14
    BFP: 8/10/14 -- CP 8/22/14
    BFP: 12/10/15 -- Prayers requested

• Options
    I did not know about the hellp syndrome until I was admitted into the hospital with it. It was definitely a scary time and I'm praying I do not have it again with this pregnancy.  At least they are watching for it this time around. I did not realize there was a FB page for people who had hellp. I just sent a request to join the group. If you ever want to chat, please let me know.
  • Options
    @blovemama @joey2831 I had HELLP with my first as well, but not with my second.  I was on baby asprin with my second and this one as well.  I also didn't know I had it until I was admitted- having naturally gone into labor at 37+2.  So I know I escaped much of the anxiety it can cause.  Happy to chat about my experience as well.  

I should prob make a High Risk Check-in for June!

Pregnancy Ticker