July 2018 Moms

Ask a STM+: The "#1 Must Have Because We're Super Close" Edition

Re: Ask a STM+: The "#1 Must Have Because We're Super Close" Edition

• The hospital I stayed at told us NO swaddling after leaving the hospital (sids risk). We just stopped it when we went home and I returned all of my swaddling stuff. It didn't take long for her to adjust. 
  • As far as swaddling goes...when DS was born in 2016 the hospital told us not to swaddle with blankets (we had always previously swaddled with A+A blankets without issue).  They used premie/NB sized Halo sleep sacks that had velcro to secure the arms and didn't swaddle with blankets (although they wouldn't let you take home the Halo sleep sack).  We did swaddle him with the A+A blankets and he would break an arm free and the blanket would be on his face so I stopped doing that.  I bought an Ollie swaddle this time and plan to use that and then arms out when baby starts rolling.  

And ditto others that the RnP is not an approved safe sleep surface.  We did start out using the RnP in combination with the Owlet monitor and I noticed that his oxygen level was lower while sleeping at an incline than when he was on his back.  Which really freaked me out.  I bought a dockatot and used the Owlet with it and loved that (and is a must-have for me).  But I know some people aren't comfortable using those either.  Basically, it comes down to: weigh benefit vs. risk.  I know a lot of people that used the RnP for sleep due to reflux and that worked for them and that's fine.  The dockatot worked great for us and that's fine too.  For my piece of mind though I can't sleep without the Owlet monitor on no matter the sleeping situation.  Even if all of the safe sleep practices are being followed I'm using that monitor!

@wildtot +1 for the Gerber Soothe drops.  Probiotics made a huge difference for DS.  
    Married 9/19/09
    Me (32) Dx PCOS, DH (32) SA = Normal/mild morph issues
    TTC#5 July 2017 - 3rd cycle TTC = BFP on 11/12/17 at 9dpo Beta #1 = 96 at 13dpo - Beta #2 = 207 at 15dpo
    TTC#1  starting Nov. 2009
    3 rounds of Clomid + TI and 3 rounds of 7.5 mg Femara + IUI before our BFP on 11/8/10 at 12dpiui
    TTC #2 3rd cycle of Femara 7.5mg+Ovidrel+TI = 4 follies = BFP on 10/12/12 
    TTC#3 July 2014 - Metformin +TI = BFP at 9dpo - Twins, one baby lost at 5.5 weeks 
    Macy Annabelle born at 37w4d on 4/29/15.  Diagnosed with Cri du Chat and passed away on 6/6/15.  Forever in our hearts.
    TTC#4 3rd cycle of Metformin + Femara 7.5mg+Ovidrel+TI = 3 follies = BFP on 12/24/16
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Regarding the owlet, I heard that if the baby tends to move their feet then the monitoring is not reliable. Our HSA covers it but I'm a bit skeptical and haven't purchased it yet. Good to hear your experience was good, @Sarafuss!

I was looking at the Ollie swaddle but the price scared me away, lol, same with the Dockatot I must say but I'll try the things I have and go from there! We have our newborn basics class on the 12th and I'll ask lots of swaddling questions then.
  • So, just double checking the Spinning Babies website to see if there is any other random stuff I can do, and I notice the forward leaning inversion PAGE says to do a forward leaning inversion once daily. The list of things you can do to flip a breech baby that is on the page you get when you click on "flip a breech" says 5-7 times daily, 15-120 minutes apart. I have been doing it at max like, 4 times a day, but I don't know which one I am supposed to do! Anyone have any advice they have gotten from a human or another source? The website is weirdly organized. 
  • @SmashJam I was warned that the website is weirdly organized, and it's true! I don't have any specifics but I can definitely ask my doula if you don't find the info in the meantime. I need to email her anyways because she ows me links to 3-4 articles we discussed the other day.
  • @sarafuss I had an angelcare monitor for my oldest (before owlet came out). I loved angelcare and it gave me so much peace of mind, but It's obviously not as detailed. How is owlet on false alarms, etc?
  • @cseley321 it did give us 1-2 red alarms over the almost year that we used it but I don't know that I would consider those "false".  It said his oxygen level was low.  He seemed fine once I picked him up but he could have been holding his breath or had an apnea episode while sleeping.  Who knows.  But if baby kicks the monitor off of his foot or if the wifi goes out, etc. then the alarm plays a song and turns yellow or blue (color-coded alarms).   If it's a serious alarm it's a scary beeping noise and flashes red.  I liked that compared to a monitor that didn't distinguish between different reasons for alarms going off.

The other thing I liked about it was the ability to monitor his oxygen level while he was sick.  He had RSV when he was about 6 months old and that's what led me to take him in sooner than I might have otherwise for what seemed like just a cold at first.  It might not be as accurate as the pulse/ox monitor at the doctor's office but for me, it's better than nothing!
    Married 9/19/09
    Me (32) Dx PCOS, DH (32) SA = Normal/mild morph issues
    TTC#5 July 2017 - 3rd cycle TTC = BFP on 11/12/17 at 9dpo Beta #1 = 96 at 13dpo - Beta #2 = 207 at 15dpo
    TTC#1  starting Nov. 2009
    3 rounds of Clomid + TI and 3 rounds of 7.5 mg Femara + IUI before our BFP on 11/8/10 at 12dpiui
    TTC #2 3rd cycle of Femara 7.5mg+Ovidrel+TI = 4 follies = BFP on 10/12/12 
    TTC#3 July 2014 - Metformin +TI = BFP at 9dpo - Twins, one baby lost at 5.5 weeks 
    Macy Annabelle born at 37w4d on 4/29/15.  Diagnosed with Cri du Chat and passed away on 6/6/15.  Forever in our hearts.
    TTC#4 3rd cycle of Metformin + Femara 7.5mg+Ovidrel+TI = 3 follies = BFP on 12/24/16
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • millpemillpe member
    I have a question! So we are using a dresser as our changing table with the pad on top. Where do you put the diaper caddy or store diapers, wipes, other changing essentials? Do I need to add a shelf above or beside? There isn't enough room on the dresser top with the pad on it! I need ideas!
    Me: 31 DH: 34 :heart: Married: April 2016
    TTC December 2016
    BFP 2/28/17 // CP 3/1/17
    MFI Diagnosis: Aug 2017
    BFP 11/1/17 // DS born 6/18
    TTC January 2019
    BFP 3/21/19 // D&C (MMC) 5/8/19
  • kc1293kc1293 member
    edited June 2018
    @mrsmiller8588 - We do the same thing. We have an Ikea Hemnes dresser. So the diapers go in one the top drawers. I have a wipes dispenser that sits on top next to the changing pad. Diaper creams, lotions, etc. constantly change location (in the diaper drawer, in a small caddy that sits on the dresser, randomly strewn about on the dresser).

ETA: all of our extra boxes of diapers and wipes are in the closet.
  • morethanamamamorethanamama member
    edited June 2018
    @MrsMiller8588 you could also get one of those carts at Ikea. I got one for diaper stuff and clothes for motn changes. You could have it next to the dresser and put the stuff on that. Or, if your dresser is wide enough, you can just have the caddy/basket sit next to the changing pad.
  • @MrsMiller8588 Even though we can fit stuff on top of our changing table, we have a shelf that now holds the things DD likes to grab and try to eat (like hand sanitizer and lotion). We also have used drawers for diapers and wipes when our stash was quickly uses up in the first months of blow outs and lots of nightly changes. I'd say the shelf was most convenient as draws can be noisy and sometimes means leaving LO somewhat unattended or hands off.
  • millpemillpe member
    @kissableviv the problem is the dresser isn't long enough to hold anything else.. And of course I don't have an IKEA anywhere close (it's a 6hr drive to the closest). But maybe I should check target for something. Then o would be forced to find a new space for the hamper... small room problems.

@kc1293 I don't even have room for a wipes dispenser on the dresser with the changing pad!

@TalesOfASocialIntrovert Do you have the shelf above the dresser? I was worried about putting anything directly above the changing table.... 
    TTC December 2016
    BFP 2/28/17 // CP 3/1/17
    TTC January 2019
  • @MrsMiller8588 you might be able to find something with pouches that could be secured onto the side of the dresser? Someone gave us one as gift but it only worked with changing tables and not dressers because it had loops as a way of securing. I’m wondering if they have them without loops though? 
  • @MrsMiller8588 We did! Here's a photo before she was born so it's displayed differently now (along with the hand sanitizer, etc.). FWIW, even though she can stand now, the shelf has never been an issue. DS will have the same dresser and a shelf above as well, though it's not hung yet.
    (Photo in spoiler bc it's prob huge since I'm on mobile)

• millpemillpe member
    @TalesOfASocialIntrovert that's super cute! 

Thanks for some ideas ladies! 
    TTC December 2016
    BFP 2/28/17 // CP 3/1/17
    TTC January 2019
  • @MrsMiller8588 my friend has a neat over the door organizer thing that I think she got at Walmart. Her nursery is prettt small so she hangs it on the closet door right next to the changing table. 
  • @MrsMiller8588 That's what we are doing this time, but it's a bureau so the length of the pad is the exact same as the top, aka no space for us, either. I put an over the door shoe organizer on the outside of the closet since it's only a few feet to the left, that's where our diapers are stocked. I'm going to have DH actually just attach a couple things directly to the side of the bureau. I'm thinking of just getting a very slim rectangular wooden box to toss a pack of wipes and diaper rash stick in that can be attached. We're doing cloth so I'll also have him put up a paper towel holder for the bio liners, and I just have a heavy duty command hook for the wet bag. 
    ... and when I say DS will do all this I really mean I'll get annoyed that it's not done and do it myself, lol. 
    Ziggy       <3 07/2018-08/2018 <3
    Micah      <3 10/2015
    #recurrentpregnancylossawareness
  • And846And846 member
    @MrsMiller8588 I’m in the same boat. I have room for a small wire basket to hold a dats worth of diapers, wipes and cream. I saw on Pinterest great ways to organize the top drawer so that is what we are doing. 
  • I got this over the door nursery organizer for LO’s room. I have a ton of spit up rags and then meds/first aid in the top compartment but it would be the perfect size to store diapers if you’re looking for something like that. If youre handy you could attach something like this to the side of the dresser? @MrsMiller8588

Delta Children 4 Pocket Hanging Wall Organizer, Dove Grey https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00V0VQGOM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_Sg9gBbBY4958Y
  • @MrsMiller8588 it bothered me that the dresser we got for DD was dominated by the changing pad on top, so I resorted to using the pad on the floor, and just tucking it away when not in use. The benefit of the floor is if they roll off it's much safer! Also, I personally prefer having baby's bum facing me during changes and not sideways, so changing on the dresser would have bugged me everytime for that reason alone. 

Isabella & Julian & and now #3!
  • @kc1293 We have the exact same setup with the Hemnes dresser in DD's room!

@MrsMiller8588 We put all of the diaper stuff in the top drawer. Personally, I would not recommend putting anything above the dresser. We used to have a painting there, and DD would always mess with it. So, that came down. I guess it works for some people though!

Like @TalesOfASocialIntrovert I would recommend keeping hand sanitizer out of reach. Our DD snagged it and put some in her mouth. In case anyone is wondering, poison control said with that small amount, she might just be a little buzzed! (I know, mom of the year, right? Lol) They told us to give her some juice and keep an eye on her. The concern would be her blood sugar dropping. She ended up being totally fine. I don't think that she really swallowed any of it. We don't keep any hand sanitizer within her reach anymore though!
  • We have large hanging storage in our closet for all of baby stuff. DSs clothes is in the only dresser. It works well do us and we have a caddy that travels the house (mostly living room). We got rid of our changing table because it took up too much space and we only really used it for maybe one year. So were gonna try to make do without one and have the pad elsewhere (bathroom counter maybe). 
  • I have searched this like crazy but cannot find our nursing clothing/bras thread (and I linked wrong in teh spreadsheet!) so I'm asking here: Recommended nursing tanks for average chested women? I'd prefer to not spend a million dollars. I'm a D typically, never got far enough into breastfeeding to know if I'll increase much but I wouldn't say I'm a full D right now. 
  • @SmashJam I liked the H&M nursing tanks and the GAP. Wasn’t crazy about the Old Navy ones I had. I was a B cup prepregnancy but a D+ while nursing. 
    run along Pond...2015/12/10

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Is there such a thing as a nursing tank that works for the overly burdened?  I mean like H+ ?
  • @noideawhatshesdoing I don’t know about an all-in-one tank, but you could get the Undercover Mama tanks that attach to your bra! I really like them.
    run along Pond...2015/12/10

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • @comealongponds thanks! I'll have to look into those!
  • @SmashJam I really like this cotton one from Target. They lay nicely and have decent support (I wear them at home without a bra but wear a bra with them in public). They are also longer so they cover the post partum belly well. I think the price is reasonable for the quality too. I have ones in black, gray, and black/gray striped from PP with DD.

https://www.target.com/p/women-s-nursing-cotton-cami-gilligan-o-malley-153/-/A-13793418?preselect=52298422#lnk=sametab
  • +1 for undercover mama tanks, by far my favorite nursing tanks. I wore them way longer than I ever breastfed too and they're still good as new.  
    I used the 2 shirt method with either an undercover mama tank or literally any tank with a stretchy neckline. I liked forever 21 for something cheap, thin, stretchy, without the shelf bra. I can’t stand a shelf bra. 
  • @acunamatada I also really liked the forever21 tanks I used to have! They were long, but also a little tight and in one of them I actually cut slits at the nipples for pumping at work without needing to lift it or pull it down! Haha. I should order some more.

Isabella & Julian & and now #3!
  • @SmashJam you read my mind I was going to ask the same question! I only have 3 nursing tanks and would like more. I'll check out all the recommendations!
  • @SmashJam - do you prefer the 2 shirt method, or just the shelf nursing tanks?  

This is a good one for the 2 shirt method, although it seems a lot of the recent reviews are negative.  I have a black and nude one and never had any problem with them (I'm normally a S and ordered size L).  https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XEBMLLS/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  • I added these to my cart:

Bearsland Women's Maternity Nursing Tank Tops Sleeveless Breastfeeding Clothes https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BGX74LW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_-L-hBbJA45K1V

I also have a motherhood gift card for $40 so I'm thinking that should get me a couple of tanks and if they have a sale I might get a bra too, I've actually been super happy with the ones I got in March!
  • @MichelleAG05 I don't know! In my head, I'll just wear the tank most of the time and unhook it and bust out my boob. But I recognize the whole two shirt thing will be handy when I get sick of wearing the same shirts all the time. Is this good for the two shirt method bc it's longer?
  • Also, I got this nursing/pumping bra. It came the other day and I love it. Cheap, comfy and supportive AND it has options to be used as a pumping bra and a nursing bra.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I broke down and got a maternity hospital gown. Not sure why I want one exactly but o well
  • @SmashJam - in the beginning when I was just home all the time I wore a regular tank and just left my boob hanging out.  I joked that I didn't think DH came home a single day that first 2 months without walking into an eyefull of boob.  Once I started getting out of the house more I preferred the 2 shirt method.  I liked that one because it was longer, but also because it's not cotton, it's some kind of lycra type material which means that your top shirt doesn't stick to it.  

@elizabethrn87 I caved and bought 2 as well.  I got the nightgown type ones though so I also plan to wear them at home.
  • @runsomewhere Thanks for the heads up on what to expect for checks from nurses after delivery. Personally I'd like to be mentally prepared for all that!