September 2018 Moms

Home renovations and buying/selling

13»

Re: Home renovations and buying/selling

• @pourmeamocktail Love that color! We also had a red front door and just painted it a light blue/turquoise color after seven years in our house and I like it SO much better! I was super excited to finally be able to plant pink flowers this year that don’t clash with a red front door! 
    Me: 32   DH: 32
    BFP #1: 1/23/2012  DD: Born 9/20/2012  <3
    BFP #2: 12/30/2017  DS: Due 9/10/2018  <3

• @southernlady07 Thanks! It was so freeing. And it matches our bathroom on main floor, as well as our son's tiny toddler sized rocking horse, which I feel like suits our old home that the kitchen has never been updated, and has original floors (that need refinishing now, lol!). Art deco colors work for me.
    1st born at 35+4 on 6/6/16
    Team green turned BLUE!
    2nd born at 38+6 on 8/30/18 
    Team green turned PINK!
    Due with #3 on 6/6/20 Team Green

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • So my friend who I was hoping could give advice is unable to help. Instead FIL came pver and hashed out the plan w dh...now I’m nervous. 

I’ve never taken on a project like this, so here i am envisioning finished product and dh is envisioning the bare essentials for functioning and then finishing over time. I’m okay w this, but hadn’t even thought of it. 

Thankfully, they discussed power sources and should be able to wire the new room without anything being visible. 

Cringeworthy- dh wants to move fast so throw up the boards and then sand off the letters and stain etc or whatever we want to do... and he doesn’t think he can do a sheetrock ceiling so more tongue-groove/shiplap which now I’m nervous about matching the current walls, and them having too much wood and a very dark feeling space even tho the walls are all windows. I’d be okay w exposed beams, but there will be like 13 beams in a 17’ spanse and the subfloor is what we’ll be looking up at not pretty anything... 

Bear w me, I’m still processing all this... 

Also, dh is in no rush to frame up walls to make the other bedrooms... and sounds like he doesn’t want to frame up the smaller room at all and leave it an open landing. Which would be cool if I hadn’t already planned it out into a nursery. I also don’t expect the girls to share a room, maybe for a year or two here or there, but 5 years is a big gap. A 15yr old is not gonna wanna share w her 10 yr old sister... we do have dd’s current room on the main level, but I was really liking having all the bedrooms upstairs and a playroom/guestroom. 

bfp#1-10/29/12,EDD: 7/3/13. nothing found @ 1st u/s, natural mc 12/10/12. "Bean"

bfp#2-5/10/13! EDD: 1/18/14. "Peanut" Arrived 1/13/14. Diagnosed with Cystic Fibrosis

bfp#3- 9/26/14. EDD: 5/7/15. no heartbeat found @ 1st u/s, natural mc 10/23/14. "Little Bug"

**Psalm 139:16**

• Does anyone have a hot tub? Unfortunately this project is going to cost way more than planned so DH thought about skipping the hot tub and deck but we were really excited about that part! If you have pictures or any features you love or wish you had for your hot tub, please let me know. I’m hoping that by spamming DH with photos of how beautiful it will be he’ll feel a little better about spending the cash. (The deck will be outside our bedroom in a little courtyard we have and the hot tub will be ground level so basically you would step from deck level right into the tub.)
  • Alright ladies, my preggo brain is baffled. The new floor is going up soon, but it will mean adding new lights. Which I am thrilled for BUT, just realized that in the lovely small open concept house we have, all the lights can be seen at the same time... so need to look intentional.

All the walls except the around the honey oak cupboards where it is sheetrock, are cedar board. The kitchen has one chrome stainless light over the sink which is new, and one recessed light in the entry space that will remain. I am really liking darker metal more rustic like fixtures for the dining and living spaces, but will they need to match the kitchen lights?

I can replace the main kitchen light, (ugly white track lights) but it is not centered in the space, instead it is very close to the over-the-sink light. Unless I do like a low profile indescript light bar, it will need to match the chrome/stainless look.

I really don’t feel the stainless look in the living spaces of the house. Is there a way to transition smoothly from one look to another in an open concept? I can add anything over the island that separates the kitchen from the dining/living, and it sounds like we may have a beam separating the dining and living room ceilings...  

thoughts? Ideas? I’d add pics but the bump isn’t letting me 

bfp#1-10/29/12,EDD: 7/3/13. nothing found @ 1st u/s, natural mc 12/10/12. "Bean"

bfp#2-5/10/13! EDD: 1/18/14. "Peanut" Arrived 1/13/14. Diagnosed with Cystic Fibrosis

bfp#3- 9/26/14. EDD: 5/7/15. no heartbeat found @ 1st u/s, natural mc 10/23/14. "Little Bug"

• @jhjocelyn Feel Free to PM me! I help people select design details like this all the time. Just send me some photos of what you like, what you currently have, and if you’re comfortable you’re budget. I’d be able to send over some ideas pretty quickly 
  • @SkilledSailor that would be amazing!!! Thank you so much! ...I’ll be chipping away at this the rest of the night... haha

• @SkilledSailor

ygpm assuming i did it all right!