January 2019 Moms
Options

GTKY: Favorite Book(s)

2»

Re: GTKY: Favorite Book(s)

• Options
    Loved reading Dorothy Sayers Lord Peter Wimsey mysteries. Chronicles of Narnia. All the Jane Austen novels. All of Laura Ingalls Wilder's books. Just been reading them to my kids for the first time and they are enthralled! My dad read them to us many times growing up and it's bringing back so many memories. Also Anne of Green Gables and Anne of Avonlea! I read the whole series, but I think those were my favorites. 
  • Options
    @eleven_ LOVE The KingKiller Chronicles! My husband is a huge book nerd and recommended the series to me.  I like most people at super anxious for the last book!  We actually named our cat Kvothe and every time we take him to the vet they ask about his name and have trouble pronouncing it!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    This thread is awesome!
    I love so many different types of books. Just depends on my mood! Most recently I read I’ll Be Gone In The Dark. I’ve been on a bit of a true crime kick since beginning the podcast My Favorite Murder. 
  • Options
    I'm also an HP fan, but I read a ton!
    I like anything by Kurt Vonnegut.
    A classic favorite is Crime and Punishment by Dostoyevsky. 
    A book that I read a few years ago and recommend to everyone is The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August. It was a really good fictional read. Another that was really weird/interesting was The First Book of Calamity Leek. I just finished reading Water for Elephants, which was good, and I'm looking for another book to read. 

Me: 29, DH: 31
    Married: October 2014
    Began TTC: April 2015
    BFP #1: 9/18/15. EDD 5/18/16. MC 10/26/15. (9w)
    BFP #2: 2/27/16. EDD 11/7/16. MC/D&E 4/20/16 (11w)
    BFP #3: 9/22/16. EDD 5/29/17. DS born 4/24/17 <3
    BFP #4: 5/20/18. EDD 1/23/19. 

• Options
    @LCRbelle Yay! I'm so glad someone else has read it! DH wanted to name our son Kvothe :anguished: I mean, it's a cool name, but I am not calling my kid Kvothe. I am so excited for the next book. I plan to reread the others before it comes out. Have you read the Wheel of Time series? 

I think @galactickates is into crime podcasts. They freak me out too much to listen to. 
    TW
    Me: 33 DH: 32
    DS:  March 2014
    DD: May 2015
    BFP: 12/24/17 CP: 1/2/18 @ 4w 3d
    BFP: 1/26/18 CP: 2/2/18 @ 4w 4d
    BFP: 5/16/18 MMC: 6/15/18 @ 7w 5d
    BFP: 9/25/18! EDD: 6/9/19 TEAM GREEN  <3 

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    Loved reading Dorothy Sayers Lord Peter Wimsey mysteries. Chronicles of Narnia. All the Jane Austen novels. All of Laura Ingalls Wilder's books. Just been reading them to my kids for the first time and they are enthralled! My dad read them to us many times growing up and it's bringing back so many memories. Also Anne of Green Gables and Anne of Avonlea! I read the whole series, but I think those were my favorites. 
    Have you ever read Lucy Maud Montgomery’s Story Girl Series? I liked that even better than her Anne series.
  • Options
    @eleven_ My husband suggested the same with our son but mostly he was joking! Our son is named Graham which is loosely from the books.  I already liked the name but fell in love with it more just seeing it again in the books! 

@galactickates ohhhh are you a murderino!?
  • Options
    LCRbelle said:
    @eleven_ My husband suggested the same with our son but mostly he was joking! Our son is named Graham which is loosely from the books.  I already liked the name but fell in love with it more just seeing it again in the books! 

@galactickates ohhhh are you a murderino!?
    Ha! Yes! SSGDM!!!!

I'm listening to season 2 of In the Dark.  If you like true crime I highly suggest it.
  • Options
    @LCRbelle didn't you freak out when Paul Holes was on MMF?? 
  • Options
    @galactickates I’m a fairly new murderino! I’m on episode 56 I believe.  I’m weird and like to listen to stuff in order so sadly I have not heard the Paul Holes episode yet! Thanks I will check that out as well!
  • Options
    Have you ever read Lucy Maud Montgomery’s Story Girl Series? I liked that even better than her Anne series.
    No, I haven't, I'll have to look into it! 
  • Options
    @libertymomrn I also liked Brave New World. And Atlas Shrugged is on my to-read list! I really enjoyed The Fountainhead. Have you read that one? 

@MrsPyrowiz I've only read the first in the ASOIAF series, but I really enjoyed it. I need to finish the other four!

I'm also glad to see so many HP fans! 
  • Options
    Favorite Authors: Colleen Hoover (new adult romance books) and Heather Gudenkauf (mystery / suspense). My favorite Colleen Hoover standalone book is Maybe Someday. Favorite Heather Gudenkauf book is probably her most recent, Not a Sound. BUT major TW for most of her books having children as a major theme.
    @BitterBetty12 I just finished Little Mercies (Gudenkauf) for a book club. I loved it, but I wish I had a trigger warning before I started reading. But I'm on the waiting list for a few more of her books at the library... probably not the best pregnancy reading. 
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    @oldiebutgoodie80 yes that’s why I threw the TW into my post because quite frankly I think all of her books need to come with them!

@eleven_ ah I loved grisha! Though I do think it started way stronger than it ended. I have the six of crow series but haven’t gotten around to reading it yet. I’m looking forward to it. Also did you watch the confess mini series? It was cute.

@galactickates I LOVE true crime podcasts!! I think maybe we had this conversation briefly once before? I’ll have to look into in the dark. 
    Me: 28 DH: 26
    Married: November 2015  3 
    TTC#1: January 2016
    BFP #1: 5/02/16 - MC: 5/27/16
    BFP #2: 10/06/16: 6 - EDD: 06/20/17
    DD Born 06/23/17 3
    TFAS: April 2018
    BFP #3: 03/21/18 - CP
    BFP #4: 04/23/18 - EDD 01/04/19

• Options
    @katethemom I'm still getting through them too.  They're so good though! 
  • Options
    I just picked up Two by Two for a quick and easy read. I enjoy Nicholas Sparks. I'll building a list based off of this thread though! 
    TW

M/C 06/09/2011
    DS 05/29/2013
    M/C 02/14/2017 
    M/C 06/05/2017 
    C/P 03/01/2018
    BFP 05/17/2018 EDD 01/27/2019 
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    My top fave should be fairly obvious....

i also really enjoyed The Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon. Also guilty pleasure enjoyed A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness. 
  • Options
    @Potterphile YESSS to Discovery of Witches!
    Me: 28 DH: 26
    Married: November 2015  3 
    TTC#1: January 2016
    BFP #1: 5/02/16 - MC: 5/27/16
    BFP #2: 10/06/16: 6 - EDD: 06/20/17
    DD Born 06/23/17 3
    TFAS: April 2018
    BFP #3: 03/21/18 - CP
    BFP #4: 04/23/18 - EDD 01/04/19