TTC After a Loss

Cycle After Loss

krisbump1krisbump1 member
edited April 2018 in TTC After a Loss
We lost our first baby at 8 weeks back in March. We were devestated to show up to our first ultrasound only to find a gestational sac with no baby growing in it. I ended up naturally misscarrying our little bean a few days later.

My Dr. said to wait one cycle before trying again. I am very impatiently waiting for AF to visit for the first time after. She is a few days overdue which is very irregular for me. I was wondering how long it takes to get back to a regular cycle? I think this is the first time ever that I have wanted AF to hurry up and get here. 

Re: Cycle After Loss

• So sorry for your loss. The return of your cycle varies.  I’ve had 3 MC and with the first it took about 6 weeks to return but 3 and 4 weeks for the other two.  I understand wanting it to return quickly. I felt that way after my losses. 
  • I’m so sorry for you loss! Just as @Mack2342 said it varies for everyone. For me it was right on schedule as if my D and C had been a period. But I’ve heard a few weeks to many weeks for some of the ladies on here. I totally get the impatient feeling! 
  • Loading the player...
  • bethica83bethica83 member
    edited April 2018
    That empty sac was heartbreaking for me too on Feb 28th. I should have been 8 weeks along like you. I am so terribly sorry to have you join this club but we are here for you.

I had a D&C March 12. Two weeks walking around feeling pregnant and knowing I was not was enough for me and my body just was not moving things along. AF arrived 29 days later.

Every MC is unique and your body will take the time it needs to heal before AF returns. I know the limbo while you wait can be a dark, confusing, and frustrating place. Please take care of yourself! 

(Edited because my post got eaten by the gnome that lives on tbe interwebs)
  • I am sorry for your loss. I too was anxiously waiting for AF to return. It was about 5 weeks after surgery (D&E on Mar 1 and AF arrived on Apr 7). Take care of your self and I hope, when you are ready, things go smoothly for you.
  • Sorry for your loss. With my first MC, it was early and natural, so my period came back right on schedule. With my second loss, it was five and a half weeks after my D&C. I remember wishing for it to come for the first time in my life. You’ll get there, just take care of yourself in the meantime. Everyone here understands what you’re going through. 
  • So very sorry for your loss. It will vary, like everyone says, but I want to say mine got back to normal (normal for me) after 2 months?  I mc in January at around 7 weeks, counted the mc as CD1, had an early end to that "cycle" in February, March seemed to be a normal length (was benched so didn't really keep an eye out for ovulation) and this month seems to be the most normal with both length and ovulation date for me. I hope you're back to what's normal to you soon!
  • So sorry for your loss.   We were there in your shoes back in December.   I thought that appointment day was going to be the best day ever,  and we ended up being blindsided by the worst day ever. 

It took about 6 weeks for my cycle to return.   (My doc tested my betas till they were less than 5, and then my cycle returned a few days later)

Hang in there.   You will get back to a regular cycle.   Hope AF returns soon. 
  • I'm so sorry that you're having to go through this. I had a miscarriage on 2/27 and would wish that kind of pain on my worst enemy. My doctor told me that there is really no way of predicting when your cycle will come back or how quickly it will regulate because every woman is different. From what I've read, it would be considered normal for your AF to take up to 12 weeks to come back. (I had a d&c, not sure if that makes a difference?)

I passed our baby naturally on 2/27 but had to have the d&c on 3/9 due to retained tissue. My first AF came on 3/24, so almost 1 month after the initial passing. Second AF came on 4/24 and was more "normal" than the first. Be prepared that your 1st AF might be a little wonky. Best of luck to you and I hope we all have our healthy babies soon :)

• I also just found at just shy of 8 weeks, that our sac was measuring 5-6 weeks, and was at my lower cervix ready to pass. It has not passed yet, but I am already wondering how long it will take to pass, and how long to return to my normal cycle. We werent planning to TTC until June, but we were so grateful and excited to have a BFP in April. Now, June is around the corner, and we are anxious to move past this to something brighter.
  • luromiluromi member
    Everyone is different, in my case it was two days short of 4 weeks after my MC. Like @char245 said it’s like that day was my period. I was also 8 weeks when I found out about my empty sac this past March. I’m very sorry for your loss and I hope your stay here is short.
  • justariusjustarius member
    edited June 2018
    Hello ladies, I’m so sorry for everyone’s losses ❤️ FX for everyone that the rest of 2018 is good to everyone! I know this is an older board but I’m having a confusing day...I’m in the waiting for AF to arrive boat. As a bit of an intro I had an MMC at 10wks 3 days (babe had stopped growing at 8wks 3days) first pregnancy first loss :(
    If I count my MC as CD1 then today would be CD30 and I’m having really bad cramping and brownish old blood discharge with bright blood streaks (sorry if TMI) is this my first AF? Was anyone else’s first AF after MC weird?

edited because half the post was eaten by the interwebs
  • @justarius cycles can be wonky for a while after a MC.  It may return to normal but you may get a whole new “normal”.  
  • @Mack2342 Thank you for the reply. I was expecting a whole new ‘normal’ just based on talking to others. But I was just wondered if anyone else has/had experienced something like this? It seems so far like this whole AF is going to be old blood (4 days so far already!) 
  • etnyahetnyah member
    @justarius, If you're already bleeding or spotting 30 days after your MC, that's probably a good thing! Sounds like your body is bouncing back.

Is the bleeding as heavy as your normal AF, or are you just spotting? I just had a weird cycle of spotting brown for almost two whole weeks before it got somewhat heavy and red. I counted the day red flow started as CD1, and I think i hit the nail on the head. If you're just spotting, I'd say wait till you get red flow to count CD1. It's super frustrating and confusing not knowing where you're at in the cycle, but you'll just have to wait and see. I'm sorry things aren't more clear! Our bodies can be so annoying sometimes. 
  • @grebretso I never thought of it that way, I thought maybe something was wrong! Thanks for the reassurance! 

The bleeding is not at all like a normal AF more like just spotting mostly when I pee/wipe. I think I’m having something more similar to yours, I’m 4 days into weird brown spotting. Did you see any doctors when you were going through that for 2 weeks? I’m toying with the idea of getting checked out simply because I only stopped bleeding from the MMC 2 weeks ago. My family is all concerned. I’m frustrated for sure! This is making it feel like the nightmare of the MMC is less over than I thought it was. I’ll take your advice and start counting CD1 if/when it turns bright red and heavier. Thanks for the response! 
  • etnyahetnyah member
    I don't think anything is wrong with you! It's completely normal to have really weird and wonky cycles for a few months after a loss.

Sounds like your cycle is similar to what mine was. I started spotting brown only when going to the bathroom, and it began in the middle of my cycle (AF had stopped only two weeks before). I did go to the doctor, she told me spotting/bleeding for two weeks straight can be concerning, they like to look at anything that goes on for longer than 8-10 days in case there's an underlying factor. In my case it seemed like it was just a one off incident though, she took a bunch of tests and found nothing wrong.

My MC was way back in January, and it was only a CP, so my body should be back to normal now, which was my main reason for worrying. Your loss being so much further along and not that long ago, I think your body is just trying to get back on track and might do weird and unexpected things for a while. Of course, if you're really worried, going to the doctor can't hurt! Maybe you could request an ultrasound to make sure everything is cleared out from your MC? I hope it turns into a proper AF soon so you can move on and stop worrying!
  • @grebretso nice to hear from someone with such a similar experience, so reassuring!

I actually did have a second u/s when the bleeding became spotting. It said I was clear for any larger bodies, they just said ‘can’t rule out any fluid presence’ but my midwife said they put that on all post-mc u/s to cover their butts. I did a low dose misoprostol one more time as advised but only had a sm amount of bleeding resulting from that. Then nothing for two weeks and now this. Sigh. Never thought I’d wish for AF in my life but yes hopefully it turns into a proper AF. Thanks!
  • Hello everyone, I had my MC on January 18th. I was 7 weeks but baby stopped growing at 5 weeks. The loss was much like a heavy period. After my doctor's visit, she said my HCG levels were back to 0 and we were good to start trying after my first cycle. That didn't happen for awhile. Around the first of March I had a short period. It was about 6 weeks after my miscarriage. Then my next one was about 8 weeks after the one in March. It was a short one too. Now here we are in June and no period. I was very regular before my MC, like clock work every 28 days, and they always lasted 4 or 5 days. My husband and I are still TTC but I'm getting discouraged with the irregular cycles. Is this cause for concern 5 months after my MC? I'm just so confused and discouraged. 
  • @cbowsman I’m very sorry for your loss. Everyone on here seems to have a different story about how their MC changed AF. Therefore, this could be the new normal for you. However, I think after that amount of time it would probably be good to check in with your OB just in case. Are you temping or using OPKs? You might not be ovulating and your OB could help figure that out.