July 2018 Moms

Product Spotlight 5/28-DIY Memorabilia

This is a place for FTMs to ask questions and S+TMs to share the wealth of knowledge they've accumulated on baby products. Each week we'll spotlight a new category of product to help streamline and make it easier to refer back. This week it's....DIY MemorabiliaWhat items did you use to keep track of baby's lil' milestones, such as scrapbooks, baby books, apps, month sticker/blocks, etc. 

For S+TMs: 
  • Favorite [DIY Memorabilia] item:
  • Link/picture:
  • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.):
  • What you like about it:
  • What you don't like about it, if anything:
  • Is there a [DIY Memorabilia] item you don't have but are considering? Why?:
  • Is there a [DIY Memorabilia] item you've tried that you absolutely hate? Why?: 
  • Additional thoughts on [DIY Memorabilia] item:

For FTMs:
  • [DIY Memorabilia] item you're interested in:
  • Link/picture:
  • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.):
  • Any questions about it/them for S+TMs?:
Our past threads are here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1nhSR3UAwJx8UitC9b2hRx57c4hHkK6BU679FjqXMeHQ/edit?usp=sharing

Re: Product Spotlight 5/28-DIY Memorabilia

• For S+TMs: 
    • Favorite [DIY Memorabilia] item: I like shutterfly photo books! Such an easy and fun way to keep track of memories and they often have great deals 
    • Link/picture:
    • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.): around 20 
    • What you like about it: I could customize it. 
    • What you don't like about it, if anything:
    • Is there a [DIY Memorabilia] item you don't have but are considering? Why?: I will get a baby book as well but I have been terrible about keeping up with dd's. 
    • Is there a [DIY Memorabilia] item you've tried that you absolutely hate? Why?: 
    • Additional thoughts on [DIY Memorabilia] item: 

April Siggy Challenge Social Distancing

• Loading the player...
  • I slacked on the hard copy baby book, but I really love Qeepsake!

They text you questions (depending on your plan it’s either weekly, three times a week, daily or more) that match up with the stage of development your baby is at and you text back an answer that it logs as a journal entry. Some of the plans let you text in pictures as well, and they will make it into a book for you whenever you are ready!

We also did a first year photo book for the grandparents for Christmas that actually doubled as our pregnancy announcement for this baby. 
    run along Pond...2015/12/10

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I'm a FTM but created a Tinybeans account a few weeks ago to share photos with family members. So far, I've added pics of the nursery and a couple of bump shots with eager grandparents- and aunts-to-be.
    • [DIY Memorabilia] item: Tinybeans photo journal app...basically a more private way than FB to share photos with selected friends and family members. You get to choose who to add, and I think they decide the frequency of email alerts when something is posted.
    • Link/picture: https://tinybeans.com
    • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.): free to upload and share photos, option to pay for photo books or a premium version
    • Any questions about it/them for S+TMs?: Anyone actually pay for the premium version? Curious what it entails. I'm also interested in a good book to document milestones, so curious if STMs have any good recommendations. I like shutterfly but think the guided books with prompts might keep me on track better!
  • @comealongponds that queepsake thing sounds amazing. Downloading app...now. Also @wildtot I love your deer head nail board. That's so cool! 

For S+TMs: 
  • morethanamamamorethanamama member
    edited May 2018
    My probably unrealistic plan is to not share baby's pictures on social media. Not sure how it will work...so that app tinybeans could be a good option! I'm not crafty at all so I probably won't be doing much... Shutterfly photo albums sound great and easy too, and I already have the app. Plus they always have sales! My mom got me a baby book, I've yet to see it but I've kept some crafts from the baby shower to put in there.
  • Ugh I really suck at this stuff. I started my son’s baby book but never finished. I might try again this time. But one thing I do recommend is downloading google photos to your phone and backing up your camera roll to it. That way you can delete photos from your phone since they’re saved on your google drive. I quickly
    discovered how quickly a baby can deplete your phone storage.
  • @zande2016 this!! ^^
    Amazon has something similar too that’s free and unlimited if you have an account. 
  • Google is also free! Good to know amazon has it too, in case I ever run out of room with google. 
  • I have a pixel phone, unlimited storage ftw!
  • I’m horrible and never even touched DD baby book - so I think I’m not even going to with this one either. Although I do save alllllll pictures
  • @kissableviv aside from storage I also like the peace of mind to have photos backed up in case anything ever happens to the phone. I like that google photos automatically backs up my photos so I don’t have to think about it. Of course you could also just plug your phone into your computer and back up your photos,
    but I’m way too lazy for all that haha. 
  • @zande2016 I've been manually backing up my pictures but love the idea of it doing it automatically, especially in case I break/lose my phone before I've had the chance to get the pictures, downloading now!!
  • I bought a baby book for DD a couple months ago and have been working on it.  It's a PITA to go back through random places or pictures to try to find when she got teeth, etc.  I went ahead and bought a 2nd one for this baby and will hopefully keep up with it better.  If not, a friend recommended putting a cheap calendar out and just jotting stuff down on it when you have time to go update with later.
  • Bought a baby book and have been doing well keeping up with it.  I put a reminder in my phone once a month to go and update it.  Hopefully once baby is born when the monthly reminder comes up I'll actually do it.
  • I use Freeprints (app). It gives you certain amount of pictures for free a month. You can also create a book. I plan on using this once lo is here. Take pictures from your phone and send it to free prints. All you pay is shipping. 

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

• And846And846 member
    Such a great topic! Thank you @zande2016
    for the photo backup suggestion! 

I hsve a traditional baby book i got from B&N that has some simple pages to fill out and goes through first year of milestones. I’m also a huge fan on mpix alumina and try to make one each year as that years “yearbook”. I have a feeling baby’s first year book will be massive. How do you even narrow down what you put in the book? 
  • stlmegsstlmegs member
    zande2016 said:
    Ugh I really suck at this stuff. I started my son’s baby book but never finished. I might try again this time. But one thing I do recommend is downloading google photos to your phone and backing up your camera roll to it. That way you can delete photos from your phone since they’re saved on your google drive. I quickly
    discovered how quickly a baby can deplete your phone storage.
    So much this!  And google pics is super easy to use.  
    Meagan
    <3 Married 6.12.10 <3
    DS 11.8.12
     Baby GIRL! due 7.4.18
  • +1 for a first year baby book that I sucked at keeping up with for DD - got the same one in a different design/theme for DS and hoping to be better and going back to fix DD's.

summermama18 suggestion - we did something similar with DD called Peekabo Moments but after we signed up they restricted the storage size for free accounts and ran out of space within a year.  It was awesome for sharing photos with family and getting photos family snapped at events without having them plaster them all over FB - however those same family members were the ones that filled the whole thing with 45 sec videos of infant staring.  My grandmother and uncle especially loved it being far away and seeing the updates.  I'll have to see if https://tinybeans.com is similar enough to move over.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Solidarity to the baby book struggles.  I made my first a photo baby book on shutter fly which had pictures and a letter to him for each month of his first year.  My second keeps asking to see his... Oops! The goal is to get it done before this baby is born. 
  • @gingerbride26 I was wondering the same with Tinybeans, and when I looked into it, I found the Premium version allows you to post videos greater than 5 min, but the free version allows unlimited photos and I guess videos 5 min or less without a storage limit. You can also add quotes and milestones and answer other prompts when you so feel inspired and the app captures them in a calendar. So maybe that will be how I remember some of those baby book milestones!