September 2018 Moms

TV Talk: The Handmaid's Tale

Spoilers, spoilers and more spoilers! Don't read this thread if you aren't caught up!

Who watches? I'm watching episode 1 of season 2 right now and practically peeing my pants. This show gets so many visceral reactions out of me! Thoughts on the episode (or show in general)?

Re: TV Talk: The Handmaid's Tale

• Literally watching it right now, and found episode 2 is available! 
    ...I can’t handle the separating from hannah scenes anymore, I dreamt last night we were losing dd to her cf. Def from watching the last season to be ready for the new one. I had awful dreams last season too... but I still can’t help watching! 

Being pregnant myself makes it so different, I’m watching thinking “how are you gonna protect both kids? Or do you leave and hope you can go back for the one?” I’m really curious how they handle it.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

bfp#1-10/29/12,EDD: 7/3/13. nothing found @ 1st u/s, natural mc 12/10/12. "Bean"

bfp#2-5/10/13! EDD: 1/18/14. "Peanut" Arrived 1/13/14. Diagnosed with Cystic Fibrosis

bfp#3- 9/26/14. EDD: 5/7/15. no heartbeat found @ 1st u/s, natural mc 10/23/14. "Little Bug"

**Psalm 139:16**

• I just watched both episodes of this season and it is getting SO good. I'm really glad they're doing the backstory on how America became Giliad, it's scary but makes it seem so much more plausible. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Just finished the second episode. I cried a lot.

@AdmiralKitty the backstory is so scary. There are definitely some things that are more terrifying than made up monsters and boogeymen.

• I accidentally clicked this morning!! When I get home from getting my hair done I’ll have to start watching season 2 and catch up.
  • I just started season 1 yesterday, got through the first two episodes. This is so, so good, but I agree that there are things scarier in this than monsters/ghosts. I'm trying to strategize on how I can watch an episode over lunch. 
  • Are they only adding one episode at a time? Once a week or once a day? I feel a little sad I can’t binge watch the whole season right now.
  • klj0228 said:
    Are they only adding one episode at a time? Once a week or once a day? I feel a little sad I can’t binge watch the whole season right now.
    I don't know. I'm kinda glad they aren't available to binge cause I'd get in trouble and stay up passed my bedtime if they were.
  • I think I saw new episodes are available on Wednesdays. 
  • @Patience7150 I think you are correct, google tells me one new episode each Wednesday. 

@stothi it probably is better for me too that it’s not all at once, but I just love to binge watch a good tv show and ruin all chances of quality sleep.
  • mrsPNWmrsPNW member
    edited April 2018
    My comments keep disappearing! I’ll try again!

I watch, I watch! Been looking forward to this season since last one! I was so ready to have it start up and see June kick some ass, but it started off quite opposite. Had me nervous there. I like seeing the backstory on Gilead but it’s frightening as it seems not too implausible. 

• stothistothi member
    I didn't get to watch tonight's episode because my husband decided to work on his laptop in the living room. I know I can't get through an episode without crying my face off so I didn't want to watch in front of him. 
  • dexniedexnie member
    stothi said:
    I didn't get to watch tonight's episode because my husband decided to work on his laptop in the living room. I know I can't get through an episode without crying my face off so I didn't want to watch in front of him. 
    I hear you. I have to remind my husband to keep his eyes on the TV. NOTHING TO SEE HERE. ha
  • stothistothi member
    My husband set up shop in the living room again tonight but I told him I needed to watch my show and sent him off to his office. Good thing too cause I teared up during the recap from last week and then got all weepy like 5 minutes into the episode when she got her ultrasound. 
  • stothistothi member
    And more crying!!! When she gets the picture of Hannah!? I had to pause the show and open my baby monitor and watch my son sleep for a few minutes. I was just thinking about how I feel when I get a picture of my son when I've been away for like an afternoon. I can't even imagine how someone in her position would feel! And crying again...
  • @stothi. yes!! Everythin Hannah just kills me, especially because dd is about that age right now and I can’t imagine losing her. 

I did have a plot hole moment though... just wondering if anyone else picked it up or can straighten me out, somewhere in an episode there was a time reference to “4 years later” and it’s the current time with Luke in Canada. Ssoo Hannah should have grown from 4/5ish to 8/9ish, but when Serena visits her and again in the picture she looks the same age as when they were seperated? 

Also, I’m a thinker and love to pick things apart, even though I love th show and will keep watching. A major hole in Gilead’s Rachel & Leah concept- while they were indeed handmaids given to the husband to produce children because the wives were unable to fast enough (competitive sisters :D), they very much so raised they own children... but that wouldn’t make for a great story line. 

bfp#1-10/29/12,EDD: 7/3/13. nothing found @ 1st u/s, natural mc 12/10/12. "Bean"

bfp#2-5/10/13! EDD: 1/18/14. "Peanut" Arrived 1/13/14. Diagnosed with Cystic Fibrosis

bfp#3- 9/26/14. EDD: 5/7/15. no heartbeat found @ 1st u/s, natural mc 10/23/14. "Little Bug"

• stothistothi member
    @jhjocelyn I've never read the Bible so I miss a lot of the references unless the show explains them or I Google. I didn't know who Rachel and Leah were.

I totally didn't pick up on what age(s) Hannah was/should be now. Maybe she is supposed to be aged in the show but it's hard to show that with her all covered up in the outfit she's in?
  • @stothi  
    Part of my college requirements was a bachelors in Biblical studies. If you have questions I’m happy to answer.  I don’t preach, I live out my faith and let anyone curious ask, I hate the pushy way so many christians are.
    I actually studied and used my social work degree. 

The show is suprisingly accurate in it’s biblica references and quotes, it completely takes them out of context and twists them though. Which is what would be expected from a cult like they have formed.

• before I started this season, my friend said “you may not want to watch when you’re pregnant.” Damn was she right! 
  • Where are you getting season 2? Hulu?
  • @Redpuma119 That’s where I’m watching it. 
  • stothistothi member
    Yup, Hulu!
  • The last few episode have been so crazy! But I loved when she was talking to the bump under the sheet. That’s kind of how I talk to my bump - like someone else might be listening. But in her case, that was a real possibility! 
  • stothistothi member
    @magnolia209 I loved her under the sheet bump convo. Broken June annoyed me so I was happy when she went back to June that fights. I totally understand her having a mental breakdown, who wouldn't!? But I was happy to see her get her fighting spirit back.
  • @stothi Me too. I’m happy she got her fight back and I just hope she will be smart. I might die if that baby gets taken from her. I don’t think I can handle that! Please let her escape to Canada even if that ends the show on a happy unrealistic ending! 
  • I just watched S2 E3&4 and cried my butt off! I really need to find something different to watch when I can't sleep at night. Cause now it's 3 in the morning and no way I'm sleeping right now.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Has anyone watched this week's episode yet? I haven't, but no worries on spoilers. I have been meaning to comment on last week though that I absolutely wouldn't trust Serena and edit those documents! She seems SO BIPOLAR! 
  • stothistothi member
    edited June 2018
    @Patience7150 I watched! 
    I think most of the characters in the show are pretty unstable in one way or another. 

And yes, if I were June I wouldn't trust Serena as far as I could throw her. I just assumed June was so bored (and a little insane at this point, and understandably so) that she just kinda goes along with whatever crazy thing happens next cause her whole world is just so weird and out of control.
  • I really love how they handle Serena, it makes so much sense to me for her to have been so involved and powerful establishing this crazy new way of living, and then bored out of her mind and lonely sticking to it, that she goes back and forth between attempting to be friendly and staying in power over June.  

Plus the mindgame of having lost the ability to have her own child due to assumably the gunshot and defending Gilead forced her to “need” June at all. 

Meanwhile, June has no choice but to go w the flow, anything else will stir up trouble for her one way or another. 

It’s so fascinating to me.

• mrsPNWmrsPNW member
    While it was awfully hard to watch Serena during the lashing scene, it made me hopeful that Serena will feel so betrayed by her husband (I know, I know she broke the rules and this was an established punishment) that she will truly start coming up with more ways to break down Gilead in whatever ways she can. But I’ve been burned by her before... just when I think she’s starting to change, she comes back with something even more awful.
  • stothistothi member
    @mrsPNW that's what I was hoping too. That Serena getting burned by the rules would realize how much they suck when they apply to her personally and not just everyone else. 

@jhjocelyn what biblical reference is the name Gilead? I assume it's an important place in a Bible story, but I've never heard it before. Also are the Marthas and Aunts a bible reference or just something the Gilead folk came up with?
  • Omg - I’m so moved by Janine and the baby. And so disgusted by the BS in Gilead. This show is so good. I agree with you @jhjocelyn - The way they handle Serena is so interesting. And, I really think that Offred is doing the best she can. I don’t think she is crazy. I think she realized that she is trapped and is just doing anything she can to try to make some sort of progress. 
  • @stothi  
    I had to look up and check w a friend on the Gilead reference. Basically it is the general location of God’s chosen nation of Isreal in the Old Testament (first half of the Bible story as a whole).  It is also the place where the patriarch Jacob (husband of Rachel and Leah, also goes by the name Israel) first kinda established his land, where Israel the nation (of the Bible) forst started. So it makes sense for the show to use it. 

Martha’s are a reference to a New Testament family, 2 sisters who were friends of Jesus. Martha complained to Him because Mary was sitting at his feet soaking in his teachings and leaving Martha all the work of hosting. Jesus actually reprimands Martha saying he’s not gonna be around forever so worry less a out the chores and more about making the most of the time they have. *My VERY generalized version*  so “Martha” has a reputation as a busy worker in the general bible-using world. 

Aunts have no reference that I know of. 

And it dawned on me today... Rachel and Leah were the actual wives. The handmaids were named Bilhah and Zilpah. They were given to the husband “as wives”. Rachel and Leah chose the names of the babies, but as far as I understand the handmaids were practically wives and raised their own kids... I may have that wrong, and should double check, but I fee like at some point there is a story involving tents and I got the impression each woman had a tent and her kids answered to her... now I’m curious. 

• What do y'all think? Do you think Serena is being malicious in kicking June out of the house immediately after the baby is born, or do you think Serena is protecting June from Fred? 
  • stothistothi member
    I think Serena is protecting Serena. Not maliciously exactly, but maybe selfishly? Like she really just wants "her" baby to be her baby and she knows she won't get that if June stays? That was what I was thinking at any rate.

• I think Serena is thinking the only way that baby is gonna be hers and not have something go wrong is to remove June as soon as possible. I kinda don’t blame her... I don’t agree w the whole system, but if that’s how it is done, than I can see her side. 

...I just want someone to find a way to get to Hannah already! 

• I hadn't even thought about that...I thought June would be fairly level headed and give up the baby, but I can see how Serena would think that! 

I agree, I need more Hannah!
  • Didn’t they agree to a trade? Once Serena has her baby, June can have Hannah? Maybe I made that up. A. June is not going to be able to give up that baby. B. Serena is pissing me off. 
  • I don’t think it was a trade, i think it was more Hannah will stay safe, implying that she wouldn’t if June hurt the baby...but then June ran away, and hannah is still fine...ssoo... I dunno. 

• stothistothi member
    @magnolia209 no trade, just Serena basically using Hannah as a tool to make June behave. I believe Serena said something like, "your baby is safe as long as my baby is safe." Something like that.