January 2019 Moms

First nurse appointment June 15 why so far

So I am currently 6w2d and I won't have my first appointment for anything until June 15th and then they said they would do blood work and set me up to go get a ultrasound. I'll then be 10w and it makes me nervous cause I'm high risk was my whole pregnancy with my daughter and was told it will be the same with all my children after her.  Anyone else waiting so long to see just a nurse ? I haven't even seen a doctor yet what could I do to get a ultrasound or just see if things are fine with the baby in general .

Re: First nurse appointment June 15 why so far

• My doctor has me come in at 6 weeks for a pregnancy confirmation and then I think it’s 10 weeks for blood work and listening for HB (at least that’s what it was for DD 1). No ultrasound until 20 weeks.

if you are concerned can you switch providers?
  • mrsmangmrsmang member
    My provider doesn’t do the first appointment until 10 weeks either unless there’s bleeding or some real sign of a problem. I just keep telling myself that means the first ultrasound should def have a heartbeat and look a little more interesting!
  • Loading the player...
  • My midwifery practice also does not do 1st apts until 10 weeks. I was able to go to my family doctor earlier (apt will be at about 8 wks) for bloodwork etc. 
    #1 EDD 01/10/19; Team Green!
    TTC #1 since 01/16; Unexplained IF; Low AMH; Conceived naturally
    Married 11/12; Dating 05/05
    Me: 36  DH: 37

• My family doctor won't do anything about my pregnancy and I haven't switched doctors because I need to be in walking distance of my doctors office 
  • There usually isn’t anything they can do before a certain way along anyway (in terms of preventing miscarriage). It’s too bad because it’s nice having their general advice at the beginning. I keep seeing people on here talking about these many i late sounds by 10 or 12 weeks, dr appointments every two weeks from the start ( sometimes ultrasounds at each) and honestly in most cases it’s complete overkill. With my first, they first ultrasound was the NT (somewhere between 8-12 weeks I think) and then one more, the anatomy one at 20. Both just for screening because we didn’t care what showed up but we wanted to be able to do our research and be prepared if any thing did (nothing did. And I’m not going to say thankfully, because we would be no less thankful for a child with health concerns). We just wanted to be ready to give the baby the best chances/help from birth instead of being surprised by something at birth and not feeling prepared to give them what they need or have to make any snap medical decisions. And that’s it.  Very quick appts every 4 weeks (so one of two less there for you I guess) but basically just “how are you feeling? Any concerns?”  And then way later (20 or after) very two weeks. Then something closer every week. I know those may be different for you if it’s high risk. But unfortunately there’s so little that can be done first trimester. (Unless it’s high risk even early for you too, I’d try get seen by your usual dr then). 
  • So I am currently 6w2d and I won't have my first appointment for anything until June 15th and then they said they would do blood work and set me up to go get a ultrasound. I'll then be 10w and it makes me nervous cause I'm high risk was my whole pregnancy with my daughter and was told it will be the same with all my children after her.  Anyone else waiting so long to see just a nurse ? I haven't even seen a doctor yet what could I do to get a ultrasound or just see if things are fine with the baby in general .
    I was high risk with my first ( High BP, GD, and low fluid) and they told me that they don't necessarily label you as high risk each time, but treat each pregnancy as a fresh start. Obviously, they look out for things earlier (like I have a glucose test scheduled early and then another at the normal time) but they don't want to pigeon-hole people. Maybe that's what your provider is doing? Mine isn't until June 18 with a provider and the only reason I already saw a nurse is because I was new to the practice and had a loss last month. She said if I had not had those two things, I wouldn't see anyone until June which is absolutely scary. I totally get it, but maybe this helps :)
    Me: 31 I DH: 31
    Met: 9/8/08; Engaged: 9/8/11; Married 6/30/12
    TTC#1: 8/2013; BFP: 9/30/13; born June 2014 (boy)
    TTC#2: 2/2018; BFP: 2/26/18; MC 4/4/18.
    TTC#2: 4/2018; BFP: 5/12/18; EDD: 1/19/19 (boy)
    2 fur babies: Oakley Marley (11.5) & Ava Lynn (2)

BabyGaga
  • Well they had me label high rush with my first because of health issues and other issues I can't really remember but they told me at my proof of pregnancy appointment that they have new systems and can't really pull up my medical records which I don't really understand cause I can pull it up on my phone but I didn't understand why I was waiting so long.  Specially because of the fact that I have no prenatals or anything and my first appointment will only be a nurse appointment for like blood work and a questions about family history for me and dad . I have a history or recurring miscarriages so normally I would get in around 7-8 weeks . It's just nerve wracking but I don't feel off so I'm hoping all is well I never really had the symptoms of miscarriage . But I found a free clinic and they are going to give me a free ultrasound today to put me at ease so fingers crossed that everything is good I'm 7w today .
  • kns1988kns1988 member
    edited May 2018
    Specially because of the fact that I have no prenatals or anything and my first appointment will only be a nurse appointment for like blood work and a questions about family history for me and dad . 
    Go get yourself some prenatals and start taking them. You can buy them over the counter anywhere - CVS, Walmart, Target, the grocery store. You don't have to wait for a doctor's appointment. 

I also have a history of MC and had a preterm birth, but I'm not seeing my doctor until 9 weeks. It's not uncommon to have to wait. Best of luck. 
    Me: 29, DH: 31
    Married: October 2014
    Began TTC: April 2015
    BFP #1: 9/18/15. EDD 5/18/16. MC 10/26/15. (9w)
    BFP #2: 2/27/16. EDD 11/7/16. MC/D&E 4/20/16 (11w)
    BFP #3: 9/22/16. EDD 5/29/17. DS born 4/24/17 <3
    BFP #4: 5/20/18. EDD 1/23/19. 

• olivemommaolivemomma member
    edited May 2018
    kns1988 said:
    Specially because of the fact that I have no prenatals or anything and my first appointment will only be a nurse appointment for like blood work and a questions about family history for me and dad . 
    Go get yourself some prenatals and start taking them. You can buy them over the counter anywhere - CVS, Walmart, Target, the grocery store. You don't have to wait for a doctor's appointment. 

I also have a history of MC and had a preterm birth, but I'm not seeing my doctor until 9 weeks. It's not uncommon to have to wait. Best of luck. 
    This! Get those prenatals ASAP, the first few weeks of pregnancy are the most important for making sure you get them in to prevent neural tube defects. Get them tonight and take one before bed. It would be ludicrous to wait for a 1st doctor apt for these
    BabyFruit Ticker}
  • Well I actually ended up receiving a bottle of 128 from the clinic I went to yesterday to get my u/s I had been taking them only missed 2 days cause I had ran out and had no money to get some . Thank God I got some from the womens clinic