Baby Names

Spelling for Mad-a-lynn

If we have a daughter, we are thinking of naming her Mad-a-lynn. I don't want to spell it Madeline and have people call her Mad-a-line. How would you spell it?

Re: Spelling for Mad-a-lynn

• I would pronounce Madeline or Madelyn mad-uh-Lynn... I prefer Madeline
  • mb0112mb0112 member
    Madilyn would avoid the pronunciation confusion.  I prefer the spelling and pronunciation Madeline
  • Loading the player...
  • Madelyn, madalyn, Madeline, maddilynnn, Maddaline, Malady, etc. Will all more or less give you the same pronounciation and mispronounciations. 

At this point Lynn is the more common.
  • catem07catem07 member
    Madelyn. Anything that ends in -line I would pronounce line. 
    DD #1: April 2017
    DD #2: May 2020
    Baby #3: EDD May 2023; MC October 2022

• My daughter's name is spelled Madeleine after the traditional French spelling and we pronounce it with the -lyn ending. I would say ninety percent of the time people pronounce her name correctly when reading it for the first time. 
  • My cousin is Madeline with your preferred pronunciation. As far as I know she has no issues other than maybe an initial correction when she meets people. I feel like this is one of those names where you may have to correct some people no matter which spelling you go with.
    _______________________________________________________________________________________________
    MMC 8/5/15 at 8 weeks
    DS born 9/13/16
    BFP 1/13/18 - EDD 9/20/18 - It's a boy!
  • I prefer the sp Madeleine. It is the French spelling and is never pronounced "line".
  • I prefer the sp Madeleine. It is the French spelling and is never pronounced "line".
    Before this thread, as someone with limited knowledge of French names, I would have been much more likely to pronounce this spelling as "--line".
    _______________________________________________________________________________________________
    MMC 8/5/15 at 8 weeks
    DS born 9/13/16
    BFP 1/13/18 - EDD 9/20/18 - It's a boy!
  • cantrellja said:
    I prefer the sp Madeleine. It is the French spelling and is never pronounced "line".
    DanyTargaryen said; 
    Before this thread, as someone with limited knowledge of French names, I would have been much more likely to pronounce this spelling as "--line".

Wow. I can't even imagine that. It seems so obvious to me.
  • nackienackie member
    @cantrellja I took French for three years, so I’m familiar with French pronunciation, but without that I absolutely would pronounce it phoneticly and say “line”. I suspect that’s true of the vast majority of Americans