July 2018 Moms

Mental Health Check in 5/1

I thought I'd start a new thread for May. 

Last week, I got a prescription for Zoloft for my OCD and anxiety. I decided (for now) not to take it, because at a low dose it will take 6 weeks to take effect. In 6 weeks I'll be 33 weeks along and some doctors preter to taper around 35-36 weeks. Considering I would only get a few weeks of relief, I didn't think the risk of PPHN was worth it. It was a tough decision and on my bad days this week I've questioned whether it was the right decision. 

But today - today was a good day! I had intrusive thoughts and engaged in self-soothing rituals but I didn't cry, I didn't let myself get overwhelmed by the bad thoughts, and for the most part I thought rationally and kept calm. The goal is to have as many days like this as possible between now and July 31, and then to start Zoloft (I'm at risk for PPD and PPOCD) pronto. 

Hope everyone else had a good day, whatever that means for them.

Re: Mental Health Check in 5/1

• @texasmainer good for you for taking the step to ask about medications. I know for me it wasn't super easy, and I know from my last La Leche meeting a lot of those women struggled or are struggling and either don't personally want to ask for pharmaceuticals or at least in one case seem to have husbands that also would prefer them not to. Even if you aren't taking them, you have them for PP and that's good! Also, glad you had a good day! 

AFM, I think I have been having good days as well! I had a moment yesterday with the kids at the bounce house and the parents where I got anxiety that they were all keeping their children from my son and that they all kind of keep their distance from me because DS is a bit "wild." I didn't engage the thoughts and just went about my time there with him smiling, then came home and had a good day. I didn't spiral. I have, in the past, found that it was easy for me to get down and spiral into that place of anxiety where I believe everyone is against me, and I was proud of myself for pushing those thoughts away!
  • @texasmainer I went on Zoloft a few months ago starting at a low dose and I found it helped in less than a week. I was on Lexapro for anxiety previously but weaned off of that once I found out I was pregnant.

I thought I could do without it but I just couldn't handle things and then DS kept asking "Momma, why you so angry?" so it was time to try something else.

Hope the good days continue for everyone

• Loading the player...
  • wildtotwildtot member
    Happy you ladies are working through the tough days!
    I’ll be talking to my doctor about going on anxiety and/or depression meds or at least know my options PP that won’t affect BFing. I’ve been pretty on the edge lately because of DH not helping how i would like him and his spending. I think it’s partially my nesting that is making all this worse than it really is. The pregnancy pains are in full force now and making it hard to sleep through the night. Now my mom trying to start drama and making it sound like I’m such a terrible daughter. 
  • I skipped out on the April thread. It was a crazy busy month. But I started therapy in April and I’ve had three sessions so far. We’ve mostly just talked about my history and things like that, but I’m hopeful that it will help. I’m also a little confused about how things work. I’m just seeing a therapist because it was the closest option my insurance covered, but Therapists can’t prescribe medication, right? Do they make diagnoses? Do they refer you to a psychiatrist If they think you would benefit from medication? I don’t want to jump on the medication bandwagon but I definitely don’t want to eliminate it as an option if other things aren’t helping. 
  • wildtotwildtot member
    @hillbillywife my ob was actually the one to prescribe to me. None of my therapists could prescribe either. Your primary might be able to as well. I’m fairly new to the med process too.
  • @hillbillywife my primary care has always prescribed me my meds. My OB suggested Zoloft as an alternative when I went off my other meds but he didn't prescribe it.
  • @wildtot @owlmama that’s good to know! My ob group seems to be really hands off with anything not directly related to being pregnant or having a vagina, so I don’t know that they would, but getting hooked up with a PCP after I’m done with OB stuff is at the top of my list. 
  • Love reading the happy posts about having goods days! 

@hillbillywife I've been seeing a psychiatrist for over 8 years who prescribes my medications. I also see a psychologist every 6 weeks (insurance only allows this every 4-6 weeks). My ob refuses to prescribe me any medications for my mental health since I already see a psychiatrist. She just asks to be included in the conversations. 

I am now back on Seroquel on top of lamectal. Both are low doses. I was extremely hesitant at first because there is not enough data on side effects for baby. My ob and psychiatrist both agree that it is extremely important that I take care of my mental health, pregnant or not. This is another reason why I've been classified as high risk now. They want to monitor how me and baby are being on these medications. I am feeling so much better, though. I am not feeling as though I am constantly on edge, stressed, not in control. I had a great visit with my therapist yesterday, which has made a HUGE difference in how I've been feeling as well. I will see her once more before baby is born. We talked about how our environment does affect our moods and/or triggers. She said it is very crucial to talk things out with our support (i.e. partner, family, friends, etc), even if it is painful, frustrating, etc. She said to always give the other person the option to talk, not to make them feel like they do not have a choice. This has been hard for me because I get frustrated with the person and demand things, which in turn causes the person to become defensive and not want to deal with me. So taking a step back, writing my thoughts down, then asking the person to schedule a time to talk about it should be beneficial in moving forward in a positive way. 

Sending everyone hugs!!

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

• @hillbillywife I also see a therapist - my PCP (love him for other reasons) doesn't seem very pro-med, but my OB does the PPD questionnaire and I believe they would prescribe.  I plan on being more pro-active and vocal this time if I'm feeling PPA/PPD.  I've gotten my anxiety into a manageable state over the last year with redirection and breathing techniques - like multiple panic attacks a week to maybe 1 in the last 4 months - but know my major triggers are lack of sleep, hormones, and pain... so 3rd trimester and PP are the trifecta for me.
    I was a dipshit and just didn't go to therapy last week >_< I go every other week but leave it blocked on my work calendar every week for some me-time on off weeks, and with the wedding trip I messed up if it was on/off week.  So she's squeezing me in tonight at a different time. Had such a spiral/downer after I missed last week.  I've been having better days - and despite all the drama the FL trip did me a world of good since i've been house-bound for a month.  Latest struggle is not completely losing my shit on my 2 year old...I have lost it on my husband a couple times when I'd normally have more patience, but my plate is full and running over.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @zombiehoohaa I’m so glad that you’re feeling better! And that is great advice- definitely something I need to remember when talking with anyone. 

@gingerbride26 it’s definitelt helpful to know what your triggers are. I’m trying to be more aware of myself and what triggers me so I can adjust myself. I also want to be more proactive if I’m feeling off after baby gets here. 

I totally would never remember which week was my appointment if I had the same slot every week lol. Sorry you missed yours and it made things hard, but I’m glad your therapist could squeeze you in. Have you left of your trip yet? (I guess not since you’re going to therapy tonight lol) hopefully a last minute session will get you in a good place for your trip- I know you’ve been stressing about it a bit. 
  • @hillbillywife Yes, wedding was the 21st - so it would have been my recap de-stress therapy session lol  I swore i went Wed right before we flew out...but apparently that was the week before lol.  Guess I need to admit to pregnancy brain and update my calendar.  FL was a complete shit show but DH and I managed to just laugh through the whole thing and it was awesome being back in the land of palm trees.  Just need to survive the do-over reception up here...and all the home construction...and i'm in the clear!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • wildtotwildtot member
    I talked to the rotating ob today at my appointment regarding antidepressants and anxiety meds. I really trying to decide if the risk of anxiety meds right now is worth it. I only have about 8 wks to go. It sounds like i can at least start Wellbutrin without any of the risks. Anxiety is really what i tend to feel most these days or at least DH just gets the worst of it. I’ll be following up with my actual ob next week. 
  • I hope you’re able to get some relief @wildtot! It’s never mean easy decision. 
  • wildtotwildtot member
    @hillbillywife thanks! I need to chat with DH. We might wait until day of delivery to start because he won’t feel too comfortable with taking those risks.
  • @wildtot I'm glad you talked to the ob! FWIW, my h was not on board with me going back on 2 of my meds because of the lack of studies. However, I explained to him that our baby's well being also depends on my well being and if I'm not feeling okay, emotionally, mentally, physically, then I am putting the stress on our growing baby. It was a VERY difficult decision for me to go back on the meds I'm on, however I'm so so so so thankful that I did because I am feeling more stable. DH has also seen the difference since I've been back on them. Maybe tell your H about the effects it has on you and the baby. Either way, I'm extremely happy you took the step to ask the ob about it. 

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

• wildtotwildtot member
    @zombiehoohaa thanks! I need to do more research on  the meds and see what my own ob says next week. I might wait till I’m about 2 weeks away from delivery to reduce my worries of the side effects. But at least DH is more open to the idea of meds that the first time i took them after DS.
  • wildtotwildtot member
    I’m stuck in a dark hole right now and really questioning my marriage. I’m in no state of mind to really decide on anything but if things don’t change I don’t see things lasting. It’s saddening but at the same time it would be so nice to just run away right now. 
  • @wildtot I'm so sorry you're in such a state! It's good you know you're not in the right state to decide right now, bu t such a hard place to be. Hugs to you! 

I have the run away feeling a lot too, more because I dont know how to solve our life problems, not marriage problems (not right now at least). Have you told DH that you've thought about these things?
  • wildtotwildtot member
    @SmashJam we’ve been talking all afternoon but the tone has changed between a good convo to not so good. He went to shower and returned yelling out he wanted a divorce. He doesn’t understand what i mean by running away or trying to step back when things get heated. In the past he’s kept me from even leaving the house because to him that’s just not how you deal with things. I’m the type to step back and process on my own and away. Well while he bathed DS we talked more and he apologized for saying that out of anger. I personally know that this is not my normal and need to be treated. Even if he can’t help me learn to manage anxiety and depression, he can at least just accept that i will have my off days. His recent spending and testing me with things he wants just threw me overboard this week. We have different love languages and i can admit I’m the worst with showing affection since DS. That’s what he wants. It’s hard to bring myself to kiss, hug, or hold hands. It’s like one moment I’ll be in the mood but then he does or says the wrong thing and that feeling goes away. For now i asked to sleep in different beds (the other bed is more comfortable for me anyways). I’ll have my space and hopefully build the feeling of wanting him. I still love him but my anxiety and anger doesn’t allow me to be the best i can. 
  • I'm behind on this thread. @wildtot hoping things are going better this week!
  • wildtotwildtot member
    @noideawhatshesdoing thanks! It’s been better this week. I’ve been sleeping in the guest bedroom for a week now and it feels good to have my space and get more uninterrupted sleep. I’ll be following up with my ob tomorrow about medication options. I’m trying not to let my man child’s complaining get to me about him not feeling good. 
  • @wildtot it's nowhere near on the same level but my husband frequently gets frustrated with me and how hard this pregnancy is for him because of my diagnosis... Sometimes he just leaves for a few hours to cool off and I feel so isolated because I can't leave, you know? I never get a break from being sick. It's so hard to feel that way when your partner isn't being supportive. I'm glad you're taking some time and space. 
  • Lots of hugs to everyone. As I get closer and closer and an increased level of pain now that she has dropped, my anxiety continues to raise.  I have a big work deadline we have to meet by the 31st but there has been a severe lacking of communication that has been stressful. So much to do for the nursery and in our house in general ugh I need to stop avoiding and start buckling down. 
    April Siggy Challenge Social Distancing