October 2018 Moms

Fit mom Friday! (5/18)

What did you do this week to stay fit?

Favorite healthy lunch idea or recipe?

Any fun active plans for this weekend?

Questions about staying fit during pregnancy?
Me:29 DH:30
Married:10/2012
TTC #1: 12/2017

Re: Fit mom Friday! (5/18)

• What did you do this week to stay fit? Ugh, I slacked this week...I only made it to the gym twice...

Favorite healthy lunch idea or recipe? I really like this avocado egg salad recipe. It’s really good, is fairly easy, and makes enough for a few lunches a week. https://www.skinnytaste.com/avocado-egg-salad/

Any fun active plans for this weekend? We are doing a 5k night run this weekend...although I will be walking because I haven’t run more than a mile since getting pregnant. I’m really excited, it should be fun either way! 

Questions about staying fit during pregnancy? I think we’ve discussed this a little in the past, but has anyone tried prenatal yoga? I looked in to it and I think the classes are pretty expensive since I already pay for a gym membership (they offer regular yoga, but not prenatal). Good recommendations for YouTube videos to use or other things to try?
  • What did you do this week to stay fit?

I started working with a personal trainer for a modified pregnancy routine. I’ve been in great shape the last few years, but ever since my symptoms started I’ve found it easier and easier to skip the gym. Hoping this keeps me motivated an lil bit healthy! 

Not really a suggestion, but I’ve been eating the mess out of veggies lately. It was a huge food aversion of mine in the first tri, but I’ve finally got my appetite for greens back! 

Hopefully the weather will cooperate and DH and I can go for a hike. 

FTM here! I’ve heard so much about exercise helping with labor. Can any experienced moms back this up? 
  • Loading the player...
  • Laumb11Laumb11 member
    Went to OTF Mon and Thursday and did Peleton on Tuesday. I debated going today but had to do a  bunch of errands/cleaning. so 3/5 isn't bad. 

Love mixing avocado with tuna or hard boiled egg. 

Not much, working :/

nope

@spartan4life I did it 2x a week with my previous pregnancy and I liked it. Nothing hardcore and I feel like the one I took was a little more informational, like we introduced ourselves the beginning of each class and there was always some sort of topic we discussed. I want to do it now but its only on Sundays at like 11, so I haven't made it yet. 
    @m@mamacox_2018 I exercised pervious pregnancy and I had a fast labor but no idea if it helped lol. Curious on how this one will be with me doing more. 

DS 12/15/13

BabyFruit Ticker
    2x run, 1x Pilates, 1x yoga. Now I’m tired, lol

Loving the modified Cobb salad with hard boiled egg, grilled chicken, avocado, Parmesan cheese, homemade balsamic dressing.

Might be redoing the backyard, does that count? 

not right now :) 

@spartan4life I’ve heard that if you’re already active, prenatal yoga might not be that great of a fit unless you want it for the community/info that @laumb11 mentioned. I’ve been fine with regular yoga so far! 
  • Laumb11Laumb11 member
    @halfanewt
    I think I haven't gone b/c I dont want to be bored lol. I am not ready for that yet! I haven't done yoga in so long though so def would be going to prenatal :/ 

DS 12/15/13

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @Laumb11 In that case, yogatoday has a good online selection, including beginner level. I think some are still freebies, too! 
    Went to a weightlifting class once, and a crossfit class once. Was going to go again this morning, but I somehow managed to throw out my back rowing?? How does that even happen??? I felt no pain during rowing, or immediately after. Somehow I'm going to blame the burpees for that one lol

I've been eating a lot of paleo curries recently...and then adding rice because carbs are the nectar of life for pregnant women I feel. The curry sauce hides the texture of meat, so it's a staple for me. Plus, all the spices and exotic flavors are a nice change from the super bland 1st trimester carboload.

Finding out if we have a girl or boy in a few hours! May have to sit for a lot of it because of my back lol.

Not really a question, but I'm feeling extra tight and loose at the same time in my hips, so I'm sure stretching/yoga would help. Anyone have any recs for youtube prenatal yoga that isn't super hippie and preachy or impossible for non-flexible people to do, say, if they can't touch their toes pre-pregnancy? One thing that turned me off of hot yoga when I went was the attitude that you can't stop the pose, you can't take a break and get water, etc. Ugh. Was just going to wing it and pick a top rated one and trial/error, or just fall back to Romwod because I like how it's geared toward athletes and is really good about always showing reasonable scales if you aren't flexible, and encourages short breaks if the stretch is too intense. But, Romwod is going to have moves that are difficult for pregnant women, so just wanted to try something else.

• @jemmerjams I was wondering the same thing about prenatal yoga. I’ve never done yoga before so I’m curious to try it. GL at your appointment finding out if you’re having a boy or girl...can’t wait to hear!
  • @Gizmo1231 I mean, I’m eating a chocolate croissant right now. All things in moderation. Join in! 
  • Laumb11Laumb11 member
    @halfanewt
    Right! I always say I run so I can eat more. I love food. 

DS 12/15/13

BabyFruit Ticker
    Expecting More video 1x.. I was pretty bad this week but also had a sinus infection so eh. 

Lately I've been doing veggies and baked chicken cause its easy. I would like to go back to eating pescatarian now that I feel more in control of my diet/life tho. Favorite lunch recipe is probably a three way tie between homemade shrimp fajitas, spinach and artichoke stuffed portobello mushrooms, and thai veggie curry. 

Unfortunately no since it will be raining all weekend. We just got back from vacation so time will be spent cleaning the house and getting life back in order. I am excited to meal plan though! 

Nope

Re: prenatal yoga on youtube.. I've been doing videos by sarahbethyoga and have liked them so far. She doesn't have many free prenatal ones but I don't mind repeating them every now and then. I did Yoga With Adriene pre-pregnancy daily and it's been hard transitioning to something else. I'm worried now that I'm getting more of a bump finally that I'll forget to do a modification and hurt myself or something with regular yoga. YWA has a prenatal program you can purchase too but I think it's taught by someone else which is why I haven't bit the bullet.

In other news, I discovered last night that the Jillian Michaels app now has prenatal programs so hopefully I will become an active member of this thread soon! (Aka this upcoming week haha) I've been struggling to find something I like since I did JM pre-preg and then fell off the band wagon first tri. Hoping I actually stick with it! 
  • Definitely looking to jump in on this thread.  I felt like crap during the first tri and let it get the best of me, but now that I've been jumping back into my fitness routine, I thought I might join in if that's ok.  You guys are a great motivation for me and I enjoy creeping on this thread haha. 

I've been going on 2 mile+ walks with my dog every day. I have beachbody on demand and have been doing 21 day fix exercises as well and ran 3 miles on Saturday. 

I make this cous cous dish that me and my LO really like.  It has cous cous, tomatoes, cucumbers, blueberries, feta (pasturized), olive oil and red wine vinegar in it and I'll make enough for dinner and a few lunches during the week. I don't really have a formal recipe, I just mix all of the ingredients together and measure by taste at this point. 

I've been saving running for the weekends since my center of gravity gets thrown off during pregnancy and my back usually hurts afterwards. 

Not currently

@mamacox_2018- I can't speak to whether or not it helps during labor because mine past labor wasn't a typical one lol, but I recovered very well and very quickly from my c-section and my dr. said it's because I stayed in shape during pregnancy.  I'm sure this also applies to vaginal delivery recovery as well.  
  • KFrobKFrob member
    @Gizmo1231 ME TOO!  I'm craving exercise, especially running.  I hopped on today looking for extra inspiration.     
  • @arome2311 that lunch sounds so good! I make something similar but with quinoa and no blueberries + lemon juice and oregano/other italian spices. So so good! Now I want to make that when I get home. Thanks for the inspiration!
  • @jellybelly114 that sounds amazing too! 
  • eireyeseireyes member
    What did you do this week to stay fit? I ran 4 miles twice this past week. I need to do that again this week and pick up 6 on Saturday - I have a 10K in two weeks I need to make sure I'm ready for!

Favorite healthy lunch idea or recipe? I'm still on my salad kick, so that's about all I've got.

Any fun active plans for this weekend? I had a 5K on Sunday that I ran pushing 80lbs of kid and stroller - except for the two god-awful hills they included on the course. Those I walked, because eff hills of that height that are close to half a mile long, even when I'm not pregnant.

Questions about staying fit during pregnancy? I'm starting to notice it's getting a little more uncomfortable running and I'm wondering if a support belt would help. Anyone have any experience?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @eireyes- I would love to know if support belts are helpful/which ones are good as well.  Even though I don't feel like my body is that much different (size-wise at this point), I know my running posture must be off because my back hurts after running every time.  This happened with my last pregnancy too.