December 2018 Moms

UO Thursday

Tell Britney, bishes!

**June Siggy Challenge - P.I.L.Fs**
httpsstaticboredpandacomblogwp-contentuploads201702best-dad-ever-chris-hemsworth-thor-589aec291b80c__700jpg

Re: UO Thursday

• It annoys me when people say they "fell pregnant". Something about it just rubs me the wrong way.
  • Loading the player...
  • abowlsabowls member
    It annoys me when people say "we're pregnant".  I'm pregnant.  We are expecting maybe.  Happily my husband would never say we're pregnant.  If I let him be the one to tell his family, he'll probably say "she's going to have a kid" and I'll have to clarify that we are having a baby together.
  • AGK2015AGK2015 member
    Kind of over name shaming, TBH. I've definitely got preferences, and there are some names that I side-eye, but... Like, my daughter's friends are little boys named Hero and Ladonnis. Would that pass a resume test? No. Should they have to have names that are traditional for a culture their ancestors didn't willingly join to be taken seriously? Also no. Would they be taken more seriously if they received names that are more traditional for the region of the world their ancestors were likely ripped from? Also also no. 

It's just too easy for those discussions to slide into racism and classism for me to be comfortable with them.
  • I think the what I'm eating thread is dumb.  I do not care to read 5 pages of people's meals.  
    Me: 35  H: 35
    Married: 4/5/13

"You know that place between sleep and awake, 
    that place where you can still remember dreaming?
    That's where I will always love you.  
    That's where I'll be waiting."
    ~Peter Pan 

*TW*
    BFP #1: 11/12/12  EDD 7/25/13 Baby boy: 7/27/13
    BFP #2: 10/29/17   MMC dx @ 9 weeks
    BFP #3: 2/2/18 MC 2/7/18
    BFP #4: 3/2/18  MC 3/9/18
    RPL testing and hysteroscopy: all normal
    BFP #5: 4/1/18 MMC dx @ 14 weeks ----> genetically normal girl  :'(
    Hysteroscopy to remove scar tissue 9/28
    BFP #6 11/5/18 EDD 7/20/19  <3  Rainbow baby girl born 7/23/19 
    BFP #7 12/8/2021 EDD 8/22/2022 
  • I don’t give a flying F if you hear Yanny or Laurel, or if anyone who hears differently is jokingly dead to you.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @AGK2015 I know I started the name topic, but I hope you are not implying that my statement is racist or classist.  Because my side eye of Brittany vs Brittanie has nothing to do with race or class. 
  • @AGK2015 I agree with you. I definitely think it sucks that people have to be careful naming their children something too culturally identifiable for fear that they won’t get hired for a job in the future because people are racist a-holes. However, I do have all the eye rolls for celebrities who name their kids stuff like Apple and North West because I see it as attention seeking behavior from people who have already made it their life’s goal to be in the limelight. And it just annoys me.
    httpsstaticboredpandacomblogwp-contentuploads201702best-dad-ever-chris-hemsworth-thor-589aec291b80c__700jpg
  • Re: naming, is it racist/classist?

Please correct me if I’m wrong, but I read from @AGK2015 UO is that non-traditional names shouldn’t be shamed/avoided because the people with the names could potentially deal with racism or classism. It’s more of an entire culture that will look at a name and not take that person as seriously. 

To throw in a personal example, my SO has a Celtic first name. We are both white, and have some British/Celtic ancestry so the name makes sense. What his mom didn’t think of when she named him is that by more modern, American naming practices, his name is much more used as an African American name. We don’t know anyone else personally with his name, but there a few celebrities and athletes with it who are black. My SO’s name isn’t even spelled “correctly”, although it still makes sense phonetically. “Misspelling” names is another stereotype often given to people of color. 

I sometimes tease him that he doesn’t get calls for job interviews because of his name (because he’s had a hell of a time finding work in his field in the past). I have no idea if that’s true or not, but I do know that if you write a name like “John” on a resume and a name like ”LaDanian” on another, keeping every other detail the same, John will get more calls back. There’ve been enough studies on that. Same thing if you replace John with Susan.

That’s the part thats not acceptable. Should give all of the children gender neutral white names to make their lives easier? I don’t think that’s the answer. 

So sorry if I come across as preachy or patronizing or anything else. Tone is often had to convey in writing and I’m not great with words anyway. I guess my UO is that these conversations shouldn’t be avoided just because they are hard. I care a whole lot more about the adult my child will become than nursery colors. 
  • I hope my post didn’t come off as saying I think parents SHOULD name their child something more “white” so that they can get jobs later, but reading it back maybe it did. It’s certainly a societal problem that it would even be an issue. I just think it’s shitty that parents sometimes have to take that kind of thing into consideration before giving their kid a name they might prefer, just because our society needs some serious work. Anyway I’m not being very eloquent today, so I ask forgiveness for that. :)
  • @rosebud332 I didn’t get that from what you wrote. But if someone else might have, I’m glad that you came back to clarify. 

I totally agree that it’s a societal/cultural problem at large, but society is made up of individuals. I forget the term, but there is a word for problems that are so big they feel overwhelming, because one person and perhaps even one whole generation can’t solve it. This is one of them (not names specifically, but racism in the USA) and climate change is another one. 

Ok, wow. I feel like maybe I’m alienating people today. I’m going to take a break for a bit and see what others have to say. Already, @maureenmce said what I was trying to and much more eloquently. 
  • Names are such a pain in general. My first name is normal enough to avoid scrutiny, but my maiden name is clearly Mexican. It pained me how many more job interviews I received when I applied to positions when married versus single. Same qualifications of course.

I read an interesting article (I can't find it otherwise I would certainly share it) that linked unique baby names to a person's/family's willingness to assimilate into their immediate culture. The stark examples included ethnic Chinese children named John as opposed to black children named DeShawn. The article simply concluded that parents who gave their kids resume-friendly names wanted to blend in with the community, and parents who went the more unique route didn't seem as interested in going with the flow.

I just know that I dislike names with superfluous unique spellings (like Mason spelled Macyn), and names with apostrophes that they insist is a 'high comma' (like Jason spelled J'ayson). So...since I don't like them I won't give LO any of those names.
    NTNP since Dec 2012 | TTC since Jan 2016
    Dx: Unspecified IF

BFP#1 Nov 2017 • Blighted Ovum + MMC • D&C at nine weeks
    BFP#2 Apr 2018 • It's a boy! • Born 13 Dec 2018 :love:
    Anniversary
  • abowlsabowls member
    @echo-charlietango, I married someone with a Spanish last name.  When the contract that my entire workplace worked for changed companies, I was the only one in the whole building that was asked to prove my citizenship.  
  • @abowls Jerks. I know a half Spanish family who always get double-takes because of their name. I enjoyed disappointing people when they assumed that I spoke Spanish though. 
    NTNP since Dec 2012 | TTC since Jan 2016
    Dx: Unspecified IF

BFP#1 Nov 2017 • Blighted Ovum + MMC • D&C at nine weeks
    BFP#2 Apr 2018 • It's a boy! • Born 13 Dec 2018 :love:
    Anniversary
  • On names, I adore names with meanings and honoring culture and such. 

My issue with names is people like my husband’s cousin who name her kid “Jaxon,” rather than “Jackson” so that he could stand out and be cool.

And also side eyeing my 21 year old self who added and extra D in my daughter’s name. Her name is Addalyn. I remember being on the Bump and saying “should I spell it Addalyn, Adalynn, or Addalynn?” THANK GOD they talked me out of the rest. I just wish I had spelled it the traditional Adelyn. 

DD1 | Jan 2009
    DD2 | June 2011
    DS1 | Oct 2013
       ADD3 | Oct 2014 (April 2001)
    DS2 | June 2016
    DS3 | Dec 2018

Due with baby blob August 2021

Pregnancy Ticker
  • My biggest issue with unique name spellings comes from the chip on my shoulder. Teachers couldn’t ever pronounce my name the first time, so I wanted to choose names that were easy to read. I don’t understand unnecessarily complicating things, but I’m very firmly in the “you do you” camp. People don’t like the weird names that I like, like Agnes, Walter, or Arthur. Oh well. There’s no pleasing everyone. 
    Pass the sheet cake.

BabyGaga