Pregnant after IF

Strep B Test Positive

Hi ladies- just found out my Strep B test was positive at almost 36 weeks. Has anyone had experience giving birth with a positive test? I read they need a certain amount of time of IV anitboticis during labor but I guess my fear would be that what if it went fast and didn’t get enough time on the IV? 
Any stories out there? Makes me worry about this baby and having problems after birth. 
TTC 4 years. 7 failed IUI's with either Clomid, Femara and/or Trigger Shots. Started IVF journey in February 2017. Polyps removed in May. 1st IVF Transfer September 26th. BFP. Expected due date 6/14/18. Baby boy born 5/25/18 at 6 lb 9 oz. My bundle of joy. 

Re: Strep B Test Positive

• I obsessed about this for a couple days after having my baby because I never got tested for strep b -- I was 35 weeks when they decided they had to deliver baby and there wasn't time to do the test. So, effectively, I was unknown status without IV antibiotics. I did alot of reading because I was terrified I was positive and it was transferred to baby during our attempt to induce labor (ultimately wound up with c/s).

Basically, even if you're positive for strep b and don't get -any- antibiotics, there's only a small chance that the baby will actually get sick. We do antibiotic IV now since we know better and it basically erases any risk. I read alot of studies I can't even remember finding one where the baby got sick AND the mom got antibiotics, no matter the length of time they were administered.

Since you know you are positive and you're getting antibiotics, the risk is basically zero but the good thing is that the pediatricians will know and will do extra monitoring on baby just to be sure if there is any question (such as labor going quicker than expected). They might do some blood tests, for example, to check for infection markers like white blood cell counts. This is because mostly what we worry about with babies and infection is that by the time we notice symptoms (with strep b, likely respiratory issues), the infection is already raging out of control because newborns are so tiny and with such new immune systems. They'll be looking for it -before- any sign of symptoms, so it can be treated and baby monitored before anything bad happens.

I hope that wasn't too incoherent; baby only let me get two hours of sleep last night >.<
    ~~ Our Story in Spoiler! TW loss/child~~
    Fall 2012 -- started TTC
    Summer 2015 - no BFP yet, labs normal, referred to RE
    Fall 2015 - Summer 2016 - Further testing all normal. 3 IUI's -- BFN. Recommended move to IVF. Planned cycle for fall 2016.
    September 2016 - Surprise natural BFP. MMC @ 8 weeks. RE expressed confidence that we just needed the 'right' embryo.
    Fall 2016 - Spring 2017 -- Break from TTC
    June 2017 - Started IVF; egg retrieval for freeze all cycle. 9 mature eggs retrieved, 5 fertilized. 2 4BB embies on ice.
    August 2017 - FET transfer both embies. BFP.  Twin pregnancy confirmed by ultrasound. EDD 4/28/18
    September 2017 - Twin B stopped developing; Twin A doing perfectly! Graduated from RE @ 10 weeks
    March 2018 - Baby Girl born via C/S due to pre-eclampsia -- strong and healthy!

TTC #2
    January/Feb 2021 - Freeze-all IVF cycle 
    March 2021 - FET of 1 PGS normal female embryo. BFP! Beta #1 156,  #2 472, #3 1241, #4 5268 EDD 12/5/21 - Christmas baby!

"When all is lost then all is found."

• And most strep b infections will appear within 48 hours of birth, so baby should still be under the watchful eye of the hospital doctors and nurses. 
    ~~ Our Story in Spoiler! TW loss/child~~
    Fall 2012 -- started TTC
    Summer 2015 - no BFP yet, labs normal, referred to RE
    Fall 2015 - Summer 2016 - Further testing all normal. 3 IUI's -- BFN. Recommended move to IVF. Planned cycle for fall 2016.
    September 2016 - Surprise natural BFP. MMC @ 8 weeks. RE expressed confidence that we just needed the 'right' embryo.
    Fall 2016 - Spring 2017 -- Break from TTC
    June 2017 - Started IVF; egg retrieval for freeze all cycle. 9 mature eggs retrieved, 5 fertilized. 2 4BB embies on ice.
    August 2017 - FET transfer both embies. BFP.  Twin pregnancy confirmed by ultrasound. EDD 4/28/18
    September 2017 - Twin B stopped developing; Twin A doing perfectly! Graduated from RE @ 10 weeks
    March 2018 - Baby Girl born via C/S due to pre-eclampsia -- strong and healthy!

TTC #2
    January/Feb 2021 - Freeze-all IVF cycle 
    March 2021 - FET of 1 PGS normal female embryo. BFP! Beta #1 156,  #2 472, #3 1241, #4 5268 EDD 12/5/21 - Christmas baby!

"When all is lost then all is found."

• Loading the player...
  • @holls214 I hadn’t been tested since I went so early but ultimately found out yesterday that I was positive. While they did have time to start me on antibiotics just in case and since my water had broke outside the hospital, they also automatically gave them to the baby once she was born since I was status unknown. I would think since you already tested positive, the first thing that would happen when you arrive at the hospital is to start you on an IV and would treat baby if needed in case things do progress really fast. Hang in there!!
  • safire3safire3 member
    If I remember correctly baby is protected as long as membranes are intact and even after membranes are ruptured it would take a few hours for baby to be at risk of infection. If you have a super short labor and membranes are not ruptured for long (I think <4 hours?) then the risk of infection is very low even if you did not get antibiotics. If your membranes are ruptured longer than that then they will give a dose of antibiotics every few hours until baby is born. It’s also just extra info for the pediatrician so that they can look for any signs of infection in baby. It’s a super common infection in mommies but infection in babies is pretty rare now due to screening. Definitely talk to you OB/ midwife about it at your next appt. That will help put your mind at ease. 
  • Thanks ladies that definitely helpful. I guess I just worry that if labor goes fast we won’t have enough time for the 4 hours of antibiotics that they say online are needed. Just hard to have another thing to worry about even though they say passing it to baby is minimal risk. 
    Appreciate all of your inputs. I’ll be talking to my doctor to set up a plan for sure. 
    TTC 4 years. 7 failed IUI's with either Clomid, Femara and/or Trigger Shots. Started IVF journey in February 2017. Polyps removed in May. 1st IVF Transfer September 26th. BFP. Expected due date 6/14/18. Baby boy born 5/25/18 at 6 lb 9 oz. My bundle of joy. 
  • I tested positive with DS and my water broke at home. My labor was rather quick with him, 7 hours from water breaking until birth. We really didn't have time to think about when to go in to the hospital and when we did go in I was 8cm. I know they started my antibiotics but I don't event remember getting them. It wasn't an issue as far as delaying anything bc I just started pushing when I hit 10cm, they never told me to wait. They'll hook you up whenever and however it happens. Mine was a pretty quick birth and I guess they still found time to do mine!