December 2018 Moms

What are you NOT doing now that you're pregnant?

Re: What are you NOT doing now that you're pregnant?

• AGK2015AGK2015 member
    @coco2787 & @trucksntutus I think the bike issue is about if you do it regularly anyway. If you bike often before pregnancy I’m pretty sure it’s still safe to do (maybe double check, I’m not a doctor), but it’s not a thing to start doing while pregnant. Because I haven’t ridden mine in years, I’m not about to start that back up. It could also be because of the risk of falling? I’m not sure
    It's the falling that I'm afraid of (and the potential for getting doored or hit by a car... I generally only ride in urban areas for transit, so lots of traffic). I don't have great balance and/or confidence as is, so taking that risk with a fetus on board is just not something I'm willing to do. Your mileage may absolutely vary! Definitely ride a bicycle if it's a thing you want to do! 
  • No more wine (haven't really been drinking since September anyway), cut back on coffee (but still having more than recommended as I'm in the process of cutting back and
    stopping suddenly will result in massive migraines which require ibuprofin or I'm out of commission...i feel like I will eventually get judged hardcore for this one), no sushi, no lunchmeat, no saladworks, no mani pedis, no massages, modified caseload at both my jobs. 

I've been eating hummus because I didn't know!  Guess that's off the menu too.  I've continued with kickboxing, with modifications. My OB says she wants me to continue because they are worried about me gaining too much. The more active, the better.  
  • Loading the player...
  • This is a great thread, thanks for all the infos, friends. I was already avoiding most of these things but not all. My OB is SO ridiculously chill. She didn't give me ANY "no-go"s. When I brought up specific things as examples (sushi/coffee/lunchmeat) she looked at me funny and said everything was fine as long as it is good quality, and not to excess. Different pregnancy culture here I guess??
  • @deutschmama I have a friend who was pregnant while living in Britain and she got a laugh every time she’d visit a pub — they would hand her the white wine menu, as if it was somehow better for pregnancy than red wine :joy: Maybe all of Europe is a bit more relaxed like that. 
    Me: 31 | DH: 31
    Together since 2003 | Married 2010
    TTC #1 January 2016
    BFP April 18 2016 | EDD December 29, 2016
    Welcome baby A! January 9, 2017

TTC#2 March 2018
    BFP March 30, 2018 | EDD December 12, 2018
  • @tumbleweed-1 I dyed my hair purple/pink the weekend I got my BFP..it was still so early and we used Article Fox (which is a vegan hair dye) so I'm not too worried about it..

• @PensiveCrayon screw that, I prefer red over white wine 95% of the time! That doesn't change just because I'm pregnant lol.

@deutschmama I think pregnancy is generally way more strict over here than in Europe, or anywhere else really. And there's exceptions to most of the "rules", like sushi. If you've eaten at the place numerous times before and trust their establishment, then a couple times during pregnancy won't hurt. I still eat lunch meat (as often as normal which isn't often at all for me), I still drink a glass of wine here and there after first tri is over, I still like my steaks medium/medium-rare, I just took a hot (but not too hot) bath last night as I did when pregnant with my son, it's all about moderation in most cases in my opinion. Now if my OB actually said "stop this", then I'd probably listen as she has a good reason, but she didn't really, but of course every office says no alcohol, I just break that rule lol.
    DS1 born 2/28/16
    DS2 due 12/12/18

• This is a lot of information! 
    I don’t eat sushi so I’m good there. 

I have eaten deli meat. Last pregnancy I did too. I kept craving cold cut subs from subway. I don’t mind from a place like that too much since they are SO strict on their rules with temps etc. 

I probably will eat hummus. It’s a good source of protein. And as far as I know it tends to constantly be one brand with recalls. I won’t eat that one even before I was pregnant. 

@asun123 regarding hair dye: everything I’ve read said it’s okay to do as long as it’s in a well ventalited area. It’s more about inhailing the fumes which is why they usually recommend going to a salon. 
    i will dye my hair during. Bring on the blonde. 

I have slowed down on my exercise. Mainly because I feel crappy. ive Also slowed down on sex (sorry H!) due to a fear of bleeding. 

I wont drink - personal preference. And I’ve cut back my coffee but mainly due to MS and will pick back up again after. 

I also still occasionally sleep on my stomach. Oh well! 
  • For those of you worried about the hummus thing, it’s super duper easy to make fantastic hummus at home if you have a food processor or blender. I use Smitten Kitchen’s Ethereally Good Hummus recipe but don’t remove the skins because who even has time for that?

@kristah2 I’m still sleeping on my stomach and will until it gets too uncomfortable. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with that...
    TTC #1 January 2016

TTC#2 March 2018
  • Aside from the common ones already mentioned above, I gave up skiing (season is done now, but I could have gone a few more times after I found out) and hard workouts (I switched from doing heavy weights to lower weight/higher reps; but otherwise I just don't seem to have the stamina..)

• @krob Exactly! This is why we're only reading baby books that show European childrearing, we agree that Americans are too uptight. Food makes me the most crazy. We're the only country with Kids Menus full of crap food like hot dogs and cheese pizza. I'm totally planning on going the Korean route where kids have zero snacks and will eat regular adult food (just smaller portions of course) as soon as we're on to solids.

Trivia that I just learned: The Japanese language uses the same word for parenting as discipline
    NTNP since Dec 2012 | TTC since Jan 2016
    Dx: Unspecified IF

BFP#1 Nov 2017 • Blighted Ovum + MMC • D&C at nine weeks
    BFP#2 Apr 2018 • It's a boy! • Born 13 Dec 2018 :love:
    Anniversary
  • @echo-charlietango I really enjoyed Bringing Up Bebe when I was pregnant the first time around. I need to give it a reread because it’s easy to fall back into typically-American patterns of parenting. 
    TTC #1 January 2016

TTC#2 March 2018
  • @PensiveCrayon Oh! I think I have a sample in my Kindle. I was going to listen via Audible, but the reviews said that the reader's French accent was horrible, so Kindle/physical book it is!
    NTNP since Dec 2012 | TTC since Jan 2016
    Dx: Unspecified IF

BFP#1 Nov 2017 • Blighted Ovum + MMC • D&C at nine weeks
    BFP#2 Apr 2018 • It's a boy! • Born 13 Dec 2018 :love:
    Anniversary
  • I am (struggling with saying I was) a figure skater but had to stop obviously because of how frequently falls happen on the ice. That's been rough because it is how I stay in shape. That, and yoga. At least I can still do yoga! But I truly miss the feeling of ice skating.
  • abowlsabowls member
    I was an Olympic weightlifter (Olympic describes the lifts that I focus on NOT my level).  My RE told me that I'm not allowed to lift more than 25# so I had to stop.  I have my first appointment with my ob next week and I'm really hoping that he'll tell me I can go back to lifting.  I don't want to Max out or anything, I just want to lift say 50% of my normal lifts.  I know people that did slightly modified lifting all the way up until they gave birth.  
  • ab_canadaab_canada member
    edited May 2018
    @abowls
    Obviously it will depend on your situation, but I heard a lot of people (including my doctor) say that lifting is fine as long as you don't need to use the Valsalva maneuver (probably meaning that if you have to use it then the weight might be too much). I am curious to know what your OB says.. I made my own decision to just go low weight/high reps because I figured it would be too tempting for me to keep adding weight to my lifts..

• abowlsabowls member
    @ab_canada Yes, lower weight high rep is my plan too.  My weightlifting coach feels comfortable writing programming for me.  I probably won't do much of the Olympic lifts because I don't know if I feel comfortable being explosive and at some point I won't want to be trying to avoid my belly.  I want to squat and do light weight overhead presses.
  • @echo-charlietango we went straight to solids with DS, screw baby food lol. (Totally not judging anyone who uses baby food, or just wasn't for us) DS does get snacks though.

@angela0822 how awesome!! I did figure skating age 3-15, quit because I wanted to cheer in high school. I miss it! We took DS when he was about 18 months old and he freaking loves it!! I keep meaning to take him back to my old indoor rink and let him practice more, he didn't want my help at all!
    DS1 born 2/28/16
    DS2 due 12/12/18

• @echo-charlietango I think that is great that they use the same word for parent and discipline. If only all parents realized that they should discipline. 
  • @asun123 I don't have any facts or links but my midwife told me it is safe to dye my hair while pregnant.

@runrinserepeat Omg my midwife never said anything about hummus. I love my Sabra garlic herb hummus! YUM

AFM I haven't changed much. I'd have a cup of coffee or half decaf coffee in the AM most days and now it's less frequently and usually decaf.

I haven't cut back on my exercise at all and unless necessary, I won't be.

I don't really eat lunchmeat and sushi is gross, so no issues there!

Me: 31

DH: 29, SA - Great

Married: June 12,2011

TTC #1: 1/2014

Diagnosis: Hypothalamic Amenorrhea

Treatment: Clomid:  50mg, 100mg, 150mg - not successful and not monitored

Menopur 75ml (upped to 112.5ml), Ovidrel, & IUI  IUI #1 8/31/2015

9/15/2015: BFP HCG - 400, 9/17/2015: HCG - 827, 9/21/2015 - HCG 3,327!
    Heartbeat 10/2/2015: 118bpm
    DS: 5/27/2016

TTC# 2: 12/2017
    BFP: 4/20/2018
    EDD: 12/29/2018
  • I'm 9 weeks now and am finally getting back some energy -- from around 4-6 weeks, I could barely keep up with exercising 2 times a week (though I walk a lot).  Finally able to run for 2-3 miles and enjoy it again :).  I haven't changed anything with exercise other than doing a bit less because my energy has been so low.

Food wise, it's dicy because I have had digestion problems that pre-date pregnancy and I've found the GAPS /SCD diet offers enormous relief, but also is difficult to maintain with food aversions.  But I've been trying!  For now, I'm staying away from the foods they generally recommend against (cheese made from unpasteurized milk, raw fish, etc).  But at some point I may research smoked salmon because I've been craving it! I haven't had alcohol beyond a few sips of my husband's glass of wine, and have been too sick thus far to miss it.  I know that it's likely that actually a glass a week or something would be fine, but my husband's anxious about that and I understand and mostly agree with his reservations. 

Otherwise I just miss having energy!  I'm wiped out by the evening every day, and haven't been able to do much beyond vegging at home.  I'm looking forward to the second trimester -- I can already feel some energy coming back even though morning sickness is getting worse.  I feel like right now the major changes for me in lifestyle and diet have been driven by my symptoms, not by doctors' recommendations. 
  • @ckonscider smoked salmon is a big one for me too. My midwife said that lunch meat, smoked salmon, etc can be eaten if you warm it up to steaming first. She even suggested throwing it back in the fridge to cool it back down, because hot deli meat sounds gross. I’ll have to do that with salmon. My dad smokes salmon every summer and I’ll be so sad if I visit them and can’t eat any of it. 
  • @tumbleweed-1 Ooh, I did not know you could heat up smoked salmon and then eat it! I have been craving it hard core! This is very exciting information to me!
  • krobkrob member
    @echo-charlietango I have no idea if my parenting style is American or not. I’ll have to look into that. 

But I can tell you we would not survive without snacks. Maybe that will change as my son gets older, but right now he literally eats all day long. Thankfully all most of his snacks are fruit based, but this kid is a non-stop eater. Also snacks stop meltdowns. I’m sure I’m creating a bad food relationship, but right now I just gotta do what gets us through. 
    Me: 36, H: 37
    FTM, 2 Furbabies
    married 03/17/07
    lived in Houston, Austin, Los Angeles and NYC
    due: 2/15/17
  • tunneltunnel member

Sorry to post and run yesterday!  I’m generally evidence based and not too nuts when it comes to pregnancy stuff.  I agree with others that you can get listeria or food poisoning from almost anything at any given time, so I focus more on the source of the product.  I still eat sushi, including salmon sashimi @runrinserepeat (but no tuna or high mercury fish), but only from the same sushi place I have been eating at almost weekly for the last 6 years because I trust their product.  I will continue to eat non-recalled ice cream - no one will convince me otherwise.  

I forgot about lunch meat and didn't think about hummus.  I will still eat lunch meat but it has to be super fresh.  I may consider making hummus at home since it’s supposed to be very easy.  I decided to forego the usual toner between balayage appointments until second tri.  I doubt there is any affect, but it wasn’t a big deal for me to skip.  @asun123 – How often do you die your hair!  I’m pretty sure my hair would fall out if I dyed it twice in two weeks!

I haven’t been tracking my caffeine as well as I probably should be.  I also haven’t been looking at whether drinks contain aspartame and stuff, which is something I personally like to limit when pregnant.

@sushilove15 – Why no herbal tea?  Most are fine during pregnancy!  

Funny about the European chill vs. American strictness comments.  My cousin is a surgeon in Europe and he made comments about things I was eating last time around that are apparently on the forbidden list over there.  Like shrimp (I can’t remember the other stuff).

@tumbleweed-1 – I don’t think pregnancy or fear of future unknowns should hold you back from getting the job that you want now.  You can always reevaluate/reassess once baby is here.  Lean in, girl!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • RE: deli meat, my OB said it was fine to eat as long as it was freshly sliced, and you eat it that day or the next. She recommended to stay away from the packaged stuff. Basically, you just don't want it to be sitting around too long. Which made me super happy, b/c I LOVE deli meat sandwiches! That, by-far, would've been the hardest thing for me to give up cold-turkey (pun definitely intended!) lol!
    Pregnancy TickerMe: 33, DH: 41
    Started IF Feb. 2014
    PCOS & MFI (low sperm count and motility)
    3 Femara cycles w/natural intercourse over summer 2014, BFN
    1 Clomid cycle w/natural intercourse Nov. 2014, BFN
    IUI March 2015, BFN
    IUI June 2015, BFN
    IUI Oct. 2015, BFN
    IVF Oct. 2016, fresh transfer, 2 day-3 embryos, BFN; nothing to freeze
    IVF Nov. 2017, fresh transfer, 2 day-5 blasts, BFP; ectopic; 1 blast frozen
    FET March 2018, 1 day-5 blast, BFP!
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

• mamajudec2018mamajudec2018 member
    edited May 2018
    @tunnel I've been told by my fertility doctor and my friend was told by her OB and fertility doctor that herbal teas should be pretty much avoided. Its one of those things that people are unsure of so they would rather me be on the safe side. They've said there are some that are "likely/possibly" safe which are red raspberry leaf, peppermint leaf, and ginger root. Here is the reasoning:

"HERBS: Unlike prescription drugs, natural herbs and vitamin supplements do not go through the same evaluation process by the FDA. Few studies have been done to measure the effects of various herbs on pregnant women or a developing fetus."

@sushilove15 I also avoid them. Once I get into my second tri I met have the occasional purely peppermint tea which is the tea my fertility doctor recommends.
  • asun123asun123 member
    tunnel said:

@asun123 – How often do you die your hair!  I’m pretty sure my hair would fall out if I dyed it twice in two weeks!

I used to dye my hair all the time. I have super looooong hair and I haven't dyed my hair for probably a year and a half to two years. I had my husband help me dye it all black last week but I noticed a few spots missing (or still looking a little brown-ish) So I'm doing a touch up this week. I use really good shampoo and conditioner that will make my hair look and feel like the healthiest hair in the world even if I dye it often. 
    Bobby Llewellyn born September 29, 2012
    Kade Wayne born July 23, 2015
    MC in February 2017
    MC in November 2017
    Oliver Dean (Ollie) due December 17, 2018

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @tunnel I think specifically hibiscus is something to stay away from during pregnancy which is in a lot of herbal teas. There may be a couple of other things too. I really wanted peach tea the other day and I was sooo sad it had hibiscus in it.
    **June Siggy Challenge - P.I.L.Fs**
    httpsstaticboredpandacomblogwp-contentuploads201702best-dad-ever-chris-hemsworth-thor-589aec291b80c__700jpg
  • Well I won't be tasting my batters starting now. I'm in a bit of a panic because while making pancakes for dinner I tasted the batter twice to see if it was good... just completely forgetting that I'm pregnant and raw eggs are a no no.  :'(:(
    Hubby & Me: Born 1993
    Married: August 2013
    Son: December 2018
    Baby in heaven: February 2020, was due Sept

• tunneltunnel member
    I'm ok with my nightly tea. There are a lot of things that haven't been studied or technically determined to be safe in pregnancy.  I've looked it up and am at peace with it, but I get that some people my prefer to refrain.  
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Re: sliced meats
    My nutritionist told me that I could have it as long as I watched the deli or butcher slice it for me. It's more of a risk when it's been packaged and you don't know how many people have touched it.

Re: sushi
    For those craving it, my nutritionist AND doctor said it was safe to eat if you go to a restaurant you trust. All sushi places use flash frozen sushi which helps keep it safe. You do not want to get grocery store sushi (sitting out on a shelf for hours). I mean, pregnant women in Japan eat raw fish daily and they have healthy and smart kids!

You are wayyyy more likely to go listeria or other bacteria from pre-cut vegetables and salad mixes than you are from raw fish, sliced meat or soft cheese. The only thing my nutritionist wants me to avoid is pre-packaged sliced meats and pre-cut veggies that I don't plan on cooking before eating.

I'm sad because I'm completely off caffeine now. I limited it down to one cup of coffee a day, then coffee got gross and I went to tea, and then tea got gross.  :(
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • What is wrong with hibiscus tea?
  • Re: herbal teas. The only way I get a good nights sleep these days is chamomile or sleepy time tea. I don't drink it every night, maybe 2 times a week, but I like being able to sleep.
    DS1 born 2/28/16
    DS2 due 12/12/18

• I recently had my eyebrows microbladed before I found out I was pregnant so I will not be going in for the touch up! It kind of makes me nervous that I had them done when I was about 3 weeks.  :/
  • @kelseyyh The no raw egg thing stinks! I decided not to make cookies for a trip this weekend because I knew the batter would be too tempting.
  • @scaredunprepared Hibiscus tea:
    https://www.livestrong.com/article/517525-hibiscus-pregnancy/

This is was from a quick google search, I just am avoiding out of abundance of caution because I don’t drink it too often anyway. Like @tunnel said, I’m not sure how much study has gone into this sort of thing, so take with a grain of salt. You can always just ask your doc if they think there’s an issue. They usually know better than the interwebs.
    httpsstaticboredpandacomblogwp-contentuploads201702best-dad-ever-chris-hemsworth-thor-589aec291b80c__700jpg
  • @coco2787 Agree 100%. You have to be flexible to get through this parenting thing. Otherwise you’re gonna drive yourself nuts.