Trying to Get Pregnant

Painkillers while TTC

I'm FREAKING OUT!  I had surgery to have my wisdom tooth removed last week and was prescribed a high dosage of Ibuprofen and Hydrocodone with Acetaminophen which I took because the pain was so bad.  I was TTC the week before during my ovulation period.  Should I be concerned that if I were pregnant, the baby's health could be compromised?  Anyone else ever experience a similar situation while TTC?  Just read up on it and I'm worried...

Re: Painkillers while TTC

• mari520 said:
    I'm FREAKING OUT!  I had surgery to have my wisdom tooth removed last week and was prescribed a high dosage of Ibuprofen and Hydrocodone with Acetaminophen which I took because the pain was so bad.  I was TTC the week before during my ovulation period.  Should I be concerned that if I were pregnant, the baby's health could be compromised?  Anyone else ever experience a similar situation while TTC?  Just read up on it and I'm worried...
    Quote for posterity.

OP, if you are super concerned, maybe place a call to your doctor in the morning. We really cannot help you with this. 

Also, read the pinned posts at the top of this board and jump into the newbie intro thread when you're ready. 
    People think we become mothers when we give birth but the truth is we become mothers the moment we start calling our babies to us in our thoughts, dreams and prayers. Some paths are short and some are so long that you can easily forget where you were headed.

How I feel all of the time.
    My 7 Year Journey ***Tw in spoiler***
    IVF
    IVF #1 - September 2018; Follistim, Menopur, Cetrotide & Lupron/HCG combo trigger; PGS; ICSI
    Back on Levothyroxine
    FET #1 - October 2018; cancelled, all PGS aneuploid
    FET #1 - November 30th, transferred anyway
    Wondfo BFP 5dp5dt, CB Digi 6dpt, 
    1st Beta on 7dpt 93
    2nd Beta on 10dpt 510!

TTC #1 since 2011. Tried for 5 years before we knew there was a one year rule.
    Diag w/MS 2016; w/PCOS & IF 2017
    New RE 2018; PCOS diagnosis taken away, IF due to ovary adhesions, but prev. RE insists PCOS IF

IUI
    IUI #1 July 2017 w/100mg Clo+trigger; BFN; benched w/big cysts
    IUI #2 October 2017 w/50mg Clo+trigger; BFN; benched w/big cysts
    IUI #3 February 2018 w/5mg Femara+trigger; low P
    BFP February; mc March; Subclinical hypothyroid started Levothyroxine 
    IUI #4 March 2018 w/7.5mg Femara+trigger; BFN
    Medicated cycle & TI April 2018 w/7.5mg Femara+trigger; BFN
    Tried several cycles on our own; all BFN

• I second what @suzycupcake said, but will say I was having surgery last summer while TTC, my obgyn was well aware and had no concerns. 
  • Loading the player...
  • snarklessnarkles member
    edited May 2018
    I also third what @suzycupcake said, but...

TW, mentions previous pregnancy and child

two days after I found out I was pregnant, I was in the hospital with a hemorrhaged and ruptured cyst. I had to have emergency surgery because I was still bleeding. While I was in recovery, the doctor prescribed certain pain meds.
    ETA: 
    After my c-section with DD, I was given percocet, which they said was too strong to take while pregnant, but safe for baby while BFing. 

Be sure to talk to your doctor, and let them know you are TTC. Most doctors will change prescriptions if they know that you are trying. But, we are not doctors, so we can't tell you whether you are okay or not. 
  • mari520mari520 member
    Thanks everyone.  I will read newby post.  
  • I'm only chiming in to agree with @AlohaKumu and offer my own perspective as a chronic pain patient who takes medications for a few different things in addition to pain. You should definitely speak to any prescriber about your plans to get pregnant before starting a new medication. Whenever my meds change, I bring it up so that whatever I'm taking is okay to take while TTC (that's been fun, given my pain). The best people to ask about this are your doctors, because they're able to access additional information in regards to contraindications, side effects, and dangerous drug interactions. This is actually why they ask what medications you're taking during the intake portion of an appointment.
    Me: 36 | DH: 35 | Married: 9.17.16
    Diminished ovarian reserve
    BFP: 4/14/2020 EDD: 12/20/2020