September 2018 Moms

Advanced Maternal Age check in May

stothistothi member
edited May 2018 in September 2018 Moms
Alright Golden Girls, how's it going?
Questions? Concerns? Any upcoming appointments in regards to bring an AMA mom?

Eta: gif cause it made me laugh.

Re: Advanced Maternal Age check in May

• stothistothi member
    39/19 weeks

I'm doing pretty good and haven't had anything come up relating to my age lately. I have my anatomy scan coming up this week and I haven't the faintest idea if they are doing anything special cause I'm all old and stuff or if I'm getting a regular old anatomy scan.
  • 35 / 22 weeks

Nothing much going on right now, but Fetal Echo is in a week, on Monday 5/14.  Not super looking forward, but will be nice to see the baby again, so that's what I'm choosing to focus on.  They wanted more pics of the heart anyway they couldn't get during the AS, so it will be good.

@stothi  GL at your AS!  I think it should be the same as everyone else's, but really, I have no idea.  :# As a FTM, this is all so new to me!
  • Loading the player...
  • nackienackie member
    @stothi my anatomy scan this time was the same as last time (except I had fewer questions this time so it was faster). I think most of the extra old lady stuff is over for me. 
  • nackienackie member
    37/22 weeks 
    I’m feeling much better this pregnancy than last time even though I’m apparently huge this time around (not that I was small the first time). 
    My biggest concern isnt age related, but getting DS to be gentle with my bump. He’s a rough and tumble little guy and my poor belly is not fairing well. It’s making me nervous since according to my mom I caused her to go into labor 6 weeks early with my younger brother when I jumped on her belly. I can totally see that happening with DS. 
  • edited May 2018
    oh wow! @nackie  Hopefully this can be a good learning experience for DS to be more gentle... :#

When it comes to challenges, I think the main thing I am facing will be not gaining too much.  They say I may start gaining half a pound a week from here on out, but I'd rather see if I can't just maintain, rather than gain 9-10 more lbs.  Fully realizing of course, it may not be 100% up to me.  So there's that.

But also, as we rearrange the upstairs, we are seriously talking about relegating the big dog (and maybe both dogs, although the little one doesn't shed, at least), to downstairs only.  It will help <i>so </i>so much with keeping the bedrooms and bathroom clean if they are all dog-free. (currently 2/3 bedrooms are dog-free zones, but not our own bedroom), so I want to set up a new gate at the bottom of the stairs I think, and give him a nice new bed downstairs sooner rather than later, so he has time to adjust.  And then maybe once baby is crawling, it'll make more sense to move it up to the top of the stairs?

*repeated word
  • stothistothi member
    @BusinessWife I would say yes to moving the dogs downstairs. I love my pets but I was ready to kill then for taking away sleep from me or getting underfoot while I was trying to take care of baby motn. Eventually you'll probably want a gate for both the top and the bottom of the stairs. It's a pain in the butt but worth the peace of mind and safety once you have a crawler and then a toddler.

@nackie my toddler is beating the crap out of my belly too! It hurts. I'm trying to teach him to not do it but so far no luck cause he's not being malicious, he's just being a squirrely toddler so it's not premeditated so he doesn't realize he needs to stop until I start screaming. Let me know if you come up with a magic solution.
  • We have gates at the top and bottom of the stairs. The bottom gate is mostly for the dog, the top gate for the toddler. We let the dog upstairs only when he’s with us, he doesn’t sleep up there or hang out up there alone. It’s worked for us! But that bottom stair gate was a necessity when setting the expectations. 
  • 35/23 weeks

i haven’t had anything come up regarding my age. I was super concerned going into this, but the doctor really hasn’t mentioned it. I have an appt Friday, I’m not sure but I think we’re probably at the point where they test for GD? 
  • nackienackie member
    @ashh2018 I think the GD test is usually around 28 weeks. At least that’s when my docs do it. Last time I failed the first test and had to go in for the 4 hour one. It was not fun. I’m hoping to pass on the first try this time around. 
  • stothistothi member
    @ashh2018 my old doc did it at 28 weeks so right around the beginning of third trimester. My new doc hasn't mentioned it yet. 
  • Call me cheap, but I am pretty much over being gouged for all these ridiculous tests! I'm over here like, "can I just do this at home with my husband's test strips?  Please, and thank you. I'll let you guys know how it turns out!"

Seriously though, just out of curiosity, we did and informal test at home last Friday. My husband and I each ate the same waffles with fruit, maple syrup, and whipped cream, and then about an hour later took a test strip. My sugar was down to 95, while his was still up at 165. So I mean, I realize anything can still happen, but as for now I'm satisfied I don't have GD. ;)
  • mrsPNWmrsPNW member
    39 / 20wks

I have my 20 week ob appt on Friday morning, directly followed by the anatomy scan. I’m excited for the scan but the ob appt makes me nervous! My bp was pretty high at my 16 wk appt, so much that I had to do a retest the next week. It went down enough the next week that they were satisfied for now but I think it’s going to be elevated again just purely due to my nerves! Fingers crossed it’s all good. 

And as for for my age showing its stupid ugly head, it is probably responsible for my sore hips and pelvis. I can’t believe I’m only halfway there and I’m as sore as I am! I remember getting pelvis pain at about 18 weeks with my DS1, and that’s still the case with this one, but I don’t think my hips hurt so much. I had to cut short my beloved solo Target trip yesterday because I just didn’t want to walk anymore.
  • marym94marym94 member
    36/ 21 weeks

I had my anatomy scan last week - have an echo scheduled in 4 weeks and a regular OB visit next week. 

after being high risk and having a wild ride for the first half of this pregnancy I am just thrilled to the moon and plan to enjoy the back half to the fullest.  I finally got to workout late last week - and my knees were creaking a lot, so there you go :)
  • ferris0906ferris0906 member
    edited May 2018
    36/21 weeks
    I had my "tier two" ultrasound this past weekend.  It was over an hour long and very, very thorough.  Baby is 100% fine, but it felt like a "let's talk about everything wrong with you session".  (1) I'm "old"--let's talk about all the risks with this.  (2) My blood pressure was high (now with the lowest dose of meds it's reliably about 110/70), so let's talk about all the risks and possibilities with this. (3) My placenta is low--again, you guessed it, let's talk about all the risks and restrictions with this (goodbye summer vacation). Etc, etc.  It was a hard appointment, and it was frustrating to hear all of this when there is almost nothing additional I can do to change/help any of this.

Regular OB appt this week, so hopefully that one is easier...
  • nlc8424nlc8424 member
    Not AMA but hope you don't mind me commenting re GD test. @BusinessWife I totally would do it myself if there wasn't a stupid lab script for it. I'm 100% capable of checking my blood sugar and monitoring for GD. In fact I even asked my NP if they could just give me the glucola and I would have my certified diabetes educator coworker test me. They didn't give it to me, but I didn't push it too far. Unnecessary tests and therefore bills suck.
  • argghh @nlc8424  So you know exactly what I'm talking about. I have heard there are ways too if you ask, sometimes they will let you do with with real food instead of that gross drink.  I mean seriously, it's really not that complicated!  But of course they can bill your insurance for Glucola; they can't bill them for bananas. lol :D
  • ashh2018 said:
    35/23 weeks

i haven’t had anything come up regarding my age. I was super concerned going into this, but the doctor really hasn’t mentioned it. I have an appt Friday, I’m not sure but I think we’re probably at the point where they test for GD? 

stuck in the box
    This is me.  I also asked my dr. for no extra "old" tests and he agreed.  So, I just have the standard tests for every pregnancy!
    Daughter #1 - Feb 2012
    Daughter #2 - Oct 2014
    Daughter #3 - Nov 2016
    Baby #4 - Sept 2018
  • Re: GD, for a different perspective I’m really glad I had the official tests last time. I was borderline on the first test, then only “failed” one of the 3 of the confirmation 4-hour test. But my fasting/overnight blood sugar was abnormal and required medication (all my daytime after-eating measures were totally diet-controlled however) and my daughter was born hypoglycemic even though (with the overnight meds) my docs all considered my GD extremely well-controlled. Without all the precision in the official tests I likely wouldn’t have known I had GD (since they were barely abnormal) and would have been at risk of some severe complications that we were able to avoid or deal with immediately.
  • nlc8424nlc8424 member
    @MandyMost I do see the value in an actual test. FWIW if I were able to administer the one hour GD test to myself I would report exactly whatever number came back from the finger stick. IMO it does not take a lab technician to give you a glucose beverage and then prick your finger an hour later. It does require a medical professional to interpret the results, that should be left up to the doctors or health professional. Same with the 4 hour test. I would never go untreated for GD if it turned out my blood sugar was elevated, I think Businesswife and I are more so saying that the test itself doesn't necessarily need to take place in a doctors office or lab.
  • @nlc8424 I understand, I just disagree. After doing finger pricks 3x/day for 3 months last time, I know sometimes a finger prick can be way off (not enough blood, hands not clean, etc). I also know I’m less likely to fudge the timing of the drink or actually finishing it if I’m reporting to someone else vas kust myself. And my lab/doc does an actual blood draw, not a finger prick.

I’m just emphasizing how important the reliability and precision of all these measures and tests were for me in my last pregnancy. I think if I had done it at home with a finger prick for could have potentially passed the test and caused myself all sorts of harm. 
  • nackienackie member
    @MandyMost my office did a blood draw as well. I think a big part of them wanting you to come in has to do with making sure you finish the drink(it’s gross) and wait the full time. As well as not sneaking any food. When I had to do the 4 hour one, I would have had a very hard time with the no food rule if I were on my own. 
    My issue with all the tests isn’t so much the cost. We hit our deductible a while back, so now everything is “free”.  But I have to make up all the time at work for all the appointments and it’s really tough. 
  • Yeah timing these long appointments is definitely a PITA  @nackie  a 4-hr test sounds like actual torture!  :s
  • nackienackie member
    @BusinessWife i thought I was going to die of hunger by the time it ended. :D Thankfully I passed that one since I had crazy cravings for sugar during that pregnancy and trying to eat any kind of lean protein made me throw up. I would not have done well on the GD diet. 
  • nlc8424nlc8424 member
    @MandyMost fair enough, we certainly don't all have to agree on everything! 
  • ready44ready44 member
    @stothi, I don't loathe the glucola; I just don't care for it and would never choose to drink it (kind of on par with iced tea for me, which I dislike).  I just chug it and go about the test as well- it's never made me feel sick afterwards (knock on wood).  My doctor's standard seems to be a 2 hour test with blood draw.  Wish I would only be on the hook for 1 hour.
  • @stothi For me, the drink is fine as well. Also not something I would drink by choice but I’ve had worse. It’s the side effects from the drink. I get queasy/ill , sweaty, dizzy and ultimately drop my sugars leading to an all day headache and shakes. Blah.  

It’s worth it to get tested though. I had GD with DD. It was extremely mild (failed by 3points.) She’s a peanut and it was a pain but so much better do do whatever baby needs. On the inside, it’s not a huge issue but I am glad she had no adverse effects. 
  • stothistothi member
    @ashh2018 I wonder if that's why the drink doesn't bother me. I've done the radioactive egg test, too! Also one with barium where you have to shoot like a teaspoon of bath crystals first and then drink the barium stuff the whole time they are testing. That was awful! The glucose drink ain't nothing compared to barium (or whatever that mud sludge that I had to drink was.)
  • @stothi I’m only laughing bc I feel your pain  :D 
  • @ashh2018 @stothi Funny. When I said the drink itself isn’t that bad I was thinking of Cat scan and mri contrast. I also have done the radioactive egg and bubbly gastric emptying. 

^^ Glucola is a breeze in comparison.