November 2018 Moms

Fit Mom Friday (4/27)!

I feel like we have a lot of check ins, so are we cool with this being more of a fit mom discussion? We can chit chat about what we are trying to do to stay healthy, make good food choices and exercise. 
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Fit Mom Friday (4/27)!

• My nausea knocked me out a few times this week. I thought I was over the worst of it and might actually be able to cook for my family again, but I was way wrong. Today I feel good though, so I snuck in a 4 mile run at lunch. It is absolutely beautiful out and it's slow at the office. I worked out Mon - Wed as well, so all in all am happy with the week.

I want to do some kind of coconut lime chicken over brown rice meal in the crock pot this weekend. We have a ton of frozen chicken breasts and prepping them makes me want to vom. I'm hoping keeping it simple and just dropping them in the crock pot will alleviate that and also result in a good meal. I can guarantee my children will not eat it though. 
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Right now in my pregnancy, I'm encouraged to exercise so I'm doing everything I possibly can. Lots of walking and riding the stationary bike. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • My last pregnancy I didn’t feel as sick as I do with this one and I was running all the way up to like 34 weeks fairly comfortably. I had a great pregnancy and super fast delivery. I was so gung-ho to mimic that this time around but I’m 10+2 and I haven’t been able to do more than walk a couple miles a couple times a week since like 6 weeks :( I feel like I’m losing my in shapeness due to my morning sickness and praying once I start feeling better I can hit some pavement! 

@wannaflickone so jealous you got to sneak in a run! Can’t wait to see good enough to get back out there.
  • I’ve been doing really well on the excercise front this week - Barre, HIIT, or elliptical basically every day, plus one yoga class and lots of walks with DD. I did start feeling really lightheaded after doing the elliptical today though, so I think I need to eat more often or maybe take it easier. Eating well has been hit and miss - like Tuesday night we had spaghetti squash and turkey meatballs, super healthy, but then Wednesday for lunch i put the leftover meatballs on a sub with mozzarella cheese and made a meatball sub. It was delicious! 

• @lifesabeach85 sounds like absolute perfect balance! Meatball sub... yum!!

@mamachelsea I hope you start feeling better soon. I’m trying to not beat myself up on the days when I feel rough and just stay in bed. It’s hard but I know second tri has to be better!

@kellyt22 I’m trying to ride our bike twice a week. So far I’m doing ok, but hoping I can up that in the second tri. 
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Ive been doing yoga 5 days a week and I love it.

Luckily, first trimester has been kind to me (again) and I’ve been relatively normal activity level.

• I have been able to get walks in around 3-4 times/ week. My next goal is to incorporate some yoga as well, the exhaustion has been pretty bad the last two weeks which makes it a challenge, but I find the walk helps with that.
  • I haven't been doing so well with going to the gym due to just being so exhausted and nauseous all the time. I always try to go to my yoga class every Wednesday, and then on Thursday I managed to sneak away to the gym by myself and I got in a really good workout. I felt like I havent been able to push myself and have an effective work out in awhile so I feel really good about my workout on Thurs. Im still sore in some spots lol hoping to do better next week
  • @CanadianGamerMom this I exactly how I feel! Haven’t been able to get a good workout in for weeks due to the nausea and just all around blah feeling. Hoping you and I and all the rest of us can get back to feeling fit and good soon.
  • Been hiking a few times over the past week which has felt amazing-- looking forward to a crossfit style workout later this week with a friend!
  • @mamachelsea I feel the exact same way. My exhaustion and nausea haven't let up like I thought they were. 10w4d and haven't ran in weeks :'(
    I'm just happy to eat bagels so I am getting SOMETHING in my system. Really hoping week 12/13 is a bug change!
  • My nausea went away, but I’m still beyond exhausted - on my absolute best weeks, I may get 1 short run in and a couple of very short lifting sessions. I’ll admit that I’m  a bit bitter - I’ve had this extreme exhaustion my entire pregnancy for both previous pregnancies, so it’s no surprise that I’m almost out of the 1st tri and still struggling this time, but it’s so frustrating that I’m so active and run/workout so regularly outside of pregnancy, and I just...can’t while pregnant. I come home from work and hit the couch and go to bed when my kids do. It’s such an internal struggle for me, too, and I feel like is part of why I gain so much weight in pregnancy, but I just...I don’t physically feel like there’s anything I can do about it. 

BabyFruit Ticker

• becassidybecassidy member
    edited April 2018

• I’m so lost this time around with exercise. Before I was pregnant, I was in the gym 2x/week for body blast classes. Religiously, M & W at 430pm. It was like my therapy. 

This pregnancy, my nausea always picks up in the evenings and I haven’t been to the gym in weeks. I’m always exhausted. And now I’m worried that if I go again, it’ll be too much, even though I’ve checked in with my instructors and they’re wonderful, and have offered me modifications for when I’m ready to go back. 

CAN I go back? It’s been 8 weeks.. do you think that’s too long of a gap to jump back in? Blah. Feeling discouraged. 
    Me: 34  DH: 35
    Married 2010
    TTC: Feb 2014, BFP 7/14/14, CP 7/18/14
    BFP 3/10/15 - DD #1 born 11/19
    TTC #2: Oct 2017, BFP 12/19/17, CP 12/22/17
    BFP 2/20/18 - EDD 10/31/2018
  • @jessie42613 you can absolutely go back! The first trimester is soooo hard to keep a schedule because how you feel is so all over the place. Definitely try to ease yourself back into it. I bet you will find your body responds better than you expect. Don't put too much pressure on yourself, but know that hopping in during the second tri is totally ok!
    Pregnancy Ticker

• @Jessie42613 Not too late to go back! Just be prepared to not be able to push yourself as hard as you used to or be able to do things the same way that you used to. Listen to your body and modify when you feel you need to, but definitely don't give up! 
  • I’m really struggling getting back to a fitness routine. The last year or so, I finally committed to getting healthy - I ate healthy, worked out regularly and was finally happy with the way I felt and looked. I was and still am incredibly grateful to be pregnant, but also feel a little conflicted because my body is changing and my emotions hate me. All I’ve been able to stomach is carbs and bread and I gained 9 pounds in the first tri. Anyone have a similar experience and have any suggestions to get back to a healthier eating routine or exercise suggestions? Looking to ease back into things. 
  • @firsttimespartanmom start with walks and then work your way up again. Also see if you can reward yourself with carbs for eating some veggies and protein. Don't restrict yourself too much, but promise yourself a reward for good choices to help ease yourself back. Remember that tomorrow is another day and forgive yourself because this first trimester is so rough on the body's demands.
  • eahayeseahayes member
    @firsttimespartanmom I hear you! I used to workout almost daily-- was at my leanest and strongest and felt great with my attitude towards food.. I had to stop everything for fertility treatment and just learned I have gained 17 lbs since summer and 13 lbs since December. I understand why, but still! hard on my emotions, and hard to shove veggies in when all I want are carbs. I'm trying to look at the big picture-- what I gain now will even out in the long run, and I'm ok with whatever my body is meant to do as long as I am healthy and moving my body- easier said than done, but give yourself some grace in the first few weeks-- they are no joke! <3

• @hollyeva - definitely need to work on forgiving myself! The last thing this babe needs is a mom who’s constantly beating herself up for eating potato chips. 

@eahayes - totally on the same page! I’m hoping that the closer we get to second tri the better we will feel. For now, if all I can manage is a walk around the block and a bagel...that’ll have to do! 

Thank you ladies for the words of encouragement! 
  • @firsttimespartanmom try not to worry about the weight gain. With my first, I gained around 9 or 10 lbs in the first trimester. I was concerned about the pace of it all, but it all evened out. I think I ended up around 27 lbs total after that. Everyone will put on weight differently, with some adding more early on and some adding more later.  You should hopefully get a good bit more energy in the second trimester, and you may even find yourself going back to your old eating habits. Hang in there and know you are doing awesome!
    Pregnancy Ticker

• @firsttimespartanmom totally normal to have feelings about the way your body is changing during pregnancy. Don't beat yourself up about how much you are or aren't gaining at any point or through the pregnancy. I think it's way less in our control than doctors and websites make us believe. Personally, I think your body just does what it does in pregnancy. I know women who gained generously (50+ pounds) and it seemed to fall off within weeks easily, and others, including myself, who stayed within the 25lb guideline and then it took forever to get any of it off, and only with a lot of hard work, and so many women somewhere on the spectrum in between.

There are lots of low impact workouts that can ease you back into the routine - elliptical if you used to be a runner, yoga if you used to do pilates,doing some freeweights on a medicine ball, swimming, stationary bike. Start with even 15min a day and you'll be working your way back up quickly I bet.

PS my new breakfast obsession is Siggi's Icleandic Skyr. It's kinda like greek yogurt, but less sugar. And its yummy!

• the-lothe-lo member
    Is it ok to do some yoga on your back? Before and after 20 weeks? Just stretches and bridge pose - no crunches. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • eahayeseahayes member
    Did my first workout back yesterday (aside from some hiking)-- slow ass circuit in the garage of rowing, KB, and weighted barbell lunges. Felt good besides my anxiety of working out-- took lots of breaks and tried to focus on my form.. def feel back pain from everything being looser in my joints! 
  • I’m down with a discussion and I’m also happy to report that I’ve been feeling so much better and have started getting back into a routine. All I’ve been craving is fruits and veggies so the eating healthy is coming naturally this time around. Junk food has been killing me. with the nice weather we’ve been walking everywhere, the toddler is loving it. We have a lot of trails so we can let him roam with only having to worry when someone is passing us. No traffic or anything scary. We were hit with a few rainy days and I was able to get back on my elliptical and I’ve been feeling great! So happy to get active again!!
    nws
  • vrj0522vrj0522 member
    @the-lo - they suggest avoiding being flat on your back once you are past 20 weeks, although I have been seeing some articles that say past 12 weeks this time around. The reason for it is that it can cut oxygen to you and more importantly to your baby. If you are going to be on your back for 1-2 minutes at a time, you should be fine but I would avoid long periods of time flat on your back. Laying with your back raised at an angle is fine. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Me: 38 DH: 36
    Married 8/27/2011
    BFP #1 9/28/2011 DS born 5/22/2012
    BFP #2 4/24/2013 m/c 4/25/2013 at 4w
    BFP #3 1/31/2014 DD born 10/14/2014
    BFP #4 1/20/2016 m/c 2/12/2014 at 7w2d
    BFP #5 8/19/2016 DS2 born 4/29/2017
    BFP #6 3/7/2018 EDD 11/18/2018