September 2018 Moms

Fit Mom Friday 5/4

We haven't had one of these in awhile. How's everyone doing? Still keeping active? Found any prenatal exercises that you love? Any new yummy recipes? 

Re: Fit Mom Friday 5/4

• Loading the player...
  • nackienackie member
    @EErin86 I’ve found that if you’re pushing anything (like a grocery cart or stroller) that really messes up it’s ability to count steps. Usually I take mine off and put it in my pocket/purse. That seems to work better. 
  • @eerin86 I'd consider that an upgrade, pushing a cart being read as biking! Apparently when I'm holding my cup of coffee while going up the stairs I must glide right on up because my fitbit never seems to read those. I always feel gypped. 
  • jayliijaylii member
    I'm still doing my once a week pilates class. I was taking these classes for a year before I got pregnant and they are not specifically prenatal. The instructor is great and has been making modifications for me, like I lay on a wedge now so I don't lay flat on my back. The classes use a reformer machine (see spoiler) and I'm really happy that pilates is allowing me to continue strength exercises.

I also want to start a prenatal yoga class. There are a few around, just need to sign up! The weather is finally getting nice here so I'm walking more on my lunch breaks.

• @sclarke7, I'm impressed. I'm still running, but I'm doing a maximum of 4 miles at a time, and sometimes less. I run about twice a week now. I'm also mixing it up with some yoga and weight training, which is what I did pre-pregnancy, but trying to be even more intentional about it now to make sure I'm strengthening and stretching my whole body. I have to say, it's been hard for me to get so much slower throughout pregnancy. I worked hard to get where I was (with my pace/distance), but I just keep telling myself that im carrying and growing a child while I run, so I should be happy with what I can do.
  • @arbell615 I have terrible SPD which results in awful pelvic pain with any running. I had to give it up entirely about two weeks ago, even while wearing belt to help. I didn't want to end up bed ridden from pelvic pain, so I'm down to long walks, strength training, and yoga (which I focus on strength poses, because I have too much flexibility in my hips right now, which is what is causing my pelvic pain!).

Luckily unpacking a house, chasing a toddler, and battling to keep a huge puppy still to heal causes a lot of strength training!
    1st born at 35+4 on 6/6/16
    Team green turned BLUE!
    2nd born at 38+6 on 8/30/18 
    Team green turned PINK!
    Due with #3 on 6/6/20 Team Green

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I missed this on Friday, I like this thread and the accountability I can attach to it.   My second job is teaching group fitness classes.  So far I have been able to keep up with my class schedule.   I used to be 6 but I gave up a back to back cardio night, it was just way too much!  My classes are a variety so I think that helps.  I have significantly modified any ab work and all my members are super supportive when I need to change things up.  I am crossing my fingers my fitness routine continues this way.  

I am jealous of those of you who run, I loathe running. I have tried and tried to like running to no avail.

• @runninginva I totally agree. Any mile is great weather is a 9 min mile or an 11 min mile right? I too am happy with anything I can do and 1000% ok with seeing my pace/distance decrease and slow cause I am growing a human right now.. Not gonna lie though.. I have dreams of a May 2019 half or full  marathon and running at pre pregnancy paces! we will see ;)  I need to do more strength work. Good on you for making strength and flexibility a priority! 
    @arbell615: I've been extremely lucky so far re: pelvic and back pain. At 20 weeks I have none. Could be due to pre pregnancy fitness levels were I was averaging a lot more weekly mileage? If I was you I would modify as necessary and stop with any pain. Running might not be whats best for your body right now and that is 100% ok. I find a stationary bike is easy on the joins and the hips, still a good way to get some cardio. So much is changing in our body is changing right now and that could be the reason why some have pain and some don't. Things move and change differently I think for each person. Every body and every pregnancy is different. Yoga and strength training might be what works best for you right now and that is still great and will prepare you for childbirth and recovery in my opinion :)  You might benefit from some pelvic floor strengthening exercises as well? I am going to google some this week and will update in this thread if I find any good ones :)
    Me: 34 DH:33
    TTC since Oct 2016
    DX: Undetermined possible PCOS+MFI 
    July 2017-Dec 2017 Letrozole+TI
    Dec 2017 CP
    Jan 2018 BFP:EDD 9-25

• I’m going to my regular pre-pregnancy exercise class but our schedule has been super extra busy, and then sickness hit our house, so I’m only going maybe once every two weeks lately. I'm able to just modify the moves and take down the intensity as I need to.

I want to start doing prenatal yoga at home, but I need to find the time and motivation. Maybe I can get up a little earlier and do it in the mornings a few days a week. I am trying to get some extra movement in at home when I’m not working. Taking walks or doing yard work are the two main things right now.
    2/13 Blighted ovum, D&C -- 6/13 MC -- 8/14 DD born -- 3/17 MC -- 9/18 DD2 born
    Expecting again -- EDD 7/27/20
  • @arbell615, yes, I've had some round ligament pain if I run too far, which is why I've cut back. My doctor also talked to me about not pushing too hard because of shortness of breath--that's really been the main thing limiting me.

@treeofcheem, I like your idea of doing prenatal yoga at home. Are you using a specific video? I've looked into prenatal yoga classes near me, but they're so expensive, and the schedule doesn't really work for me. I'd love to be able to do it at home instead.
  • tpecitpeci member
    I used to run before getting pregnant but haven't been able to since, my HR goes too high and I almost faint. So I have a new found tolerance for eliptical and stair master until I can get back into it. I try to do 2x30min/week and also do a bit of strength training. The rest of the days I will walk the dog but I've been having a bit of sciatica and left hip pain problems specifically with walking. We'll see how it goes!
  • jumpy57jumpy57 member
    I must be walking funny because I can feel my muscles pulling on my tailbone when I'm walking and it's a sore feeling. Is this just general tightness? Anyone else have this or a solution? I think I will increase my stretching and yoga and see if it helps
  • @runninginva We have an Apple TV, so in the past I've just pulled up videos on YouTube on there or on my laptop.
    2/13 Blighted ovum, D&C -- 6/13 MC -- 8/14 DD born -- 3/17 MC -- 9/18 DD2 born
    Expecting again -- EDD 7/27/20
  • RotoRoto member
    I just saw this post, and this is a great idea to keep motivated! I swim a mile 2-3 times a week, walk a bit everyday, and then try for yoga or weights once a week. This is my third pregnancy, and I’ve had less back pain than I did with the first two. I’m wondering if it’s due to not running this time around? It just hasn’t felt right for me this pregnancy! Swimming has been my saving grace though, it feels so good.