Pregnant after IF
Options

Natural birth at Hoag

Hello all,

I was wondering if any of you had delivered at Hoag hospital in Orange County, California. I want to do natural delivery with no/minimal intervention as possible and I was wondering if they support that kind of birth plan. Also, do you have an OB that supports natural birth? I had my first appointment this week and they told me "getting epidural doesnt make you a less of a mom" even though I said I want a birth that is as natural as possible. I am not against epidural I just want to give my body a chance to do what its supposed to do. I have a feeling even though she didnt say it outright that they dont support natural birth she did mention then why do I need any medical professional. As if I asked I want to give birth myself. Ugh!

Any recommendations?

Re: Natural birth at Hoag

• Options
    Not personally, but perhaps you will find this thread helpful?  There is a Dr. Laughlin whose name came up a couple times.

https://www.mamapedia.com/article/natural-birthing-ob-for-hoag

I don't have access to a birthing center in my state, but that may be another avenue to look into, as well.
  • Options
    IlkyIlky member
    Thanks @BusinessWife I saw this thread. It's quite old and was hoping to get insight from more recent moms.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I poked around through the in-network providers my insurance listed, and cross-checked for Ob practices that had offered midwifery care, as well.  That speaks volumes, right there, imho.

When I graduated from the RE, I also asked her opinion on the doctor I had chosen, explaining simply that after all the intervention it took to get pregnant, I wanted a practice that would support us going as intervention-free as possible.  Her vote of confidence in my Ob made me feel rmthat much more confident in my decision.  GL
  • Options
    IlkyIlky member
    @BusinessWife thats sounds like a great idea! I should check my insurance as well. For my RE, I'm already annoyed by him requiring me to get weekly ultrasounds. I feel like its not really needed and exposing my baby to unnecessary ultrasound waves constantly. When I got two ultrasounds at either at the OB or the high risk doctor (bc I had appts with them) I felt like he wasnt happy bc I didnt give him my business (greedy!). Today I told the nurse and the front desk person I wont get an ultrasound next week (10 weeks) but will do one last one at 11 weeks their reaction really upset me. So, long story short (sorry I was really upset) I dont think he will tell me who he thinks is supporting least amount of interventions. Plus I feel like all the doctors around here have the same mind set. 
  • Options
    Oh jeez, I'm sorry that's been your experience so far.  I would be frustrated, too.  We just had the 6 and 8 week us at the RE, and then moved onto 12 and 20 week at the ob.  And I thought that was a lot!  If you start by checking your insurance, plus reviews on yelp and healthgrades etc., how is the MFM?  Would you trust their opinion at all?  I have also heard of ladies joining local FB groups to connect with other parents in their area to get the scoop on who's good, and who to avoid.  I might have to break down and do that myself when it comes to choosing a pediatric practice, bc I don't really know any other parents of young children around here... :/