August 2018 Moms
Options

What are the chances of Down syndrome when ultrasound says short nasal bone?

More specifically..... we declined DNA or genetic testing but now for last 3 ultrasounds the nasal bone was not visible- they kept saying she was looking the wrong way or her hand was in the way... and then this past one... They finally saw it and said it was short and they are sending me to another place for a second opinion. I also decided to get the DNA test called Panorama. The waiting game is killing me. I am very concerned and want the best for my girl!!! Help! Advice, kind words, ANYTHING will help. Btw I'm 25 +4 wks.

Best Answers

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    mnickolas228mnickolas228 member
    Answer ✓
    Hi everyone! I appreciate your feedback. We opted out of the genetic scan in the beginning  primarily because I read that the blood test I was offered (harmony) were proven to only have 75% accuracy and then if it came back as "high risk" the next step would be invasive (amniocentesis). We knew we would keep baby either way and didn't want to risk hurting baby with the amnio. After the Dr placed their concern after 20 week ultrasound about her short nasal bone and told me about the panorama blood test having a 99% accuracy, I was convinced that I'd rather know to just prepare better for her arrival. 
    Anyway. So much for the Panorama test. At nearly 26 wks the test came back as "no result"... in most cases the test will only come back as "no result" when there is a lack of fetal DNA, which is typically the case early on in pregnancy- not at 26 wks.  after seeing a genetic counselor she explained that the  "no result " was very inconclusive and that she called the company Panorama and asked if we could redo it and they said there would be no point because  our particular chromosomal makeup was not matching how they test... It all doesn't make sense to me! So they also said that sometimes when a "no result " comes up, that it does kind of lean on the side that there is some sort of chromosomal abnormality, however that usually is only women who are earlier in their pregnancy... So anyway I really don't have any answers. And I was offered to take a different blood test such as maternity 21 but they were afraid that they would also come back inconclusive... they felt amniocentesis was to dangerous at this point and I am personally just "over it" at this point and I'm just going to wait for her to come and we'll see! I just want my little girl to be happy and I'm going to try my damndest to make her that way!
    I am now 28 wks +5. She still has a short nasal bone. We went for a fetal echo and  she has the possibility of a VSD or ventricular septal defect. Although typically heart defects correlate with Down Syndrome this particular defect does not correlate with Down syndrome and is now a completely new issue. They do however say that sometimes the VSD's can correct themselves before they are born and it is something that can correct itself even after they're born. I go back in 4 weeks to see if a vsd is present. I'll keep updating!
  • Options
    mnickolas228mnickolas228 member
    Answer ✓
    Thank you all so much for your kind words! I'll definitely update!