July 2018 Moms

Product Spotlight 5/7: Preparing for Labor (Meal Prep/Hospital Bag)

Re: Product Spotlight 5/7: Preparing for Labor (Meal Prep/Hospital Bag)

• @hillbillywife DH is a pillow snob so we will definitely bring pillows! And now I'm dying to know what my celebratory dinner is going to be, haha! All I'm craving is a fresh poke bowl and a Moscow Mule.
  • I am so jealous of everyone who could order as much food as they wanted. I had to order during set meal times. I labored through the night and only got one measly cup of coffee with breakfast. I ended up asking my husband to bring food because I was starving. They did come around at 9pm offering a grubby sandwich as an additional meal. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Question for all! What kind of bag are you packing in? 
    Duffle, suitcase, backpack! Help! 

I dont have any at home one that I feel are the right size, so I’m looking for recommendations. 

Also those of you who said to be a towel are brilliant! I am adding that to my list!
  • wildtotwildtot member
    @catftm2018 we took one of those carry on suitcase for both DH and I. Easy to move around and enough space for hospital goodies lol 
  • So the first time around we didn't do any freezer meals and only 2 people brought us meals. I was so tired and exhausted the first few weeks that I was not eating near enough and it showed in nursing, my son was not getting full or satisfied so I was nursing more than average. So this time around I vowed to do freezer meals time that exact reason, although this time we will be fortunate with more people bringing food. My sister in law had her baby today so I started early so she could do some as well and because may is an incredibly busy month for me and the last month I really want to be doing very minimal so I can relax so I have already finished my freezer meals entirely.
    Here is a list of everything I made And i can attach links to all of these recipes as well and how I tweaked them to make them freezer friendly. All of these I have made before and freeze well for a couple of months so I am good to go on that front. I would recommend starting early because the bigger we get it will only be harder and some women are esrly laborers!

• @catftm2018 I’m probably going to take several bags. One small one for baby, one small one for me, and a bigger one for freebies and extra comfort things I want. I’m extra like that
  • @kbernal2021 I would be totally interested in your links for recipes and how you made them freezer ready. I didn't even think about burritos and pancakes and muffins. Pancakes and muffins I already make onthe weekends for the coming week but burritos....that would be brilliant! And yours are breakfast but I might do some googling for other burrito recipes...I feel like a bean and cheese one would be a pretty solid snack for during the days!
  • Thanks @wildtot and @hillbillywife I will probably do the same with a million bags. 
  • @kbernal2021 that list is amazing! Thanks for Sharing!
    run along Pond...2015/12/10

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • @SmashJam my son is a serious burrito eater so they are no brainer options for a quick and easy lunch for him. Seriously between it just being him and I we are stocked for a good while post baby.
    I would recommend doing the meals in increments also. My son is almost 6 so I don't have a little toddler I'm chasing around all the time but I feel like between DH and I both working FT (my husband normally pulling more than 40 hours/week being a police officer, job never ends) and our sons school functions, and extras we do on the side for him we rarely have a night where we are home after dinner to just relax. It's basically go go go 24/7. So for me I allocated an entire week to prep after work and just focused on one group at a time. It took me a week and then one solid weekend day to finish it all and I wasn't up all night doing it. I also have a heart condition that pregnancy makes worse and triggers often passing out and fainting at random times so I can't be on my feet constantly, so I also needed to space it out to where I had time to allow myself a break and to get my feet up fast if needed. But really I think it was best to space it out vs trying to pack it all into a day.
  • @catftm2018 In the past I'ved used a small carry-on sized rolling suitcase.  But I pack mine and the baby's stuff in there and it's always a little cramped.  And the next size up in our luggage is too big. I'm thinking of picking this weekender bag up from Target because I've been wanting one for awhile and I added it to my registry to get the 15% off with the completion discount.  And I just noticed it's on sale!  Link is in spoiler because it's super long.

Married 9/19/09
    Me (32) Dx PCOS, DH (32) SA = Normal/mild morph issues
    TTC#5 July 2017 - 3rd cycle TTC = BFP on 11/12/17 at 9dpo Beta #1 = 96 at 13dpo - Beta #2 = 207 at 15dpo
    TTC#1  starting Nov. 2009
    3 rounds of Clomid + TI and 3 rounds of 7.5 mg Femara + IUI before our BFP on 11/8/10 at 12dpiui
    TTC #2 3rd cycle of Femara 7.5mg+Ovidrel+TI = 4 follies = BFP on 10/12/12 
    TTC#3 July 2014 - Metformin +TI = BFP at 9dpo - Twins, one baby lost at 5.5 weeks 
    Macy Annabelle born at 37w4d on 4/29/15.  Diagnosed with Cri du Chat and passed away on 6/6/15.  Forever in our hearts.
    TTC#4 3rd cycle of Metformin + Femara 7.5mg+Ovidrel+TI = 3 follies = BFP on 12/24/16
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • amdftwamdftw member
    @kbernal2021 Thank you so much for putting that list together!
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • +1 on the snacks - go for 1 handed snacks!! I still vividly remember being starving at 3 am, DH passed out in the chair, DD finally passed out in my arms...but I could reach for, open, and eat cheerios/chex one handed!!
    +1 for videos on a laptop/ipad/kindle - we binged a lot of Good Wife while just sitting trying not to wake a baby or breast feeding.
    +1 for face wipes and toiletries - if your hospital does photos, throw in a little makeup
    - Personally, I can't stand just having undies on when I'm wearing a pad, I feel like I need added support of pants - I went for athletic shorts over yoga pants because I get hot under the covers.
    - I get all my nursing cami's from Target - I still wear the ones for DD 2 years later and they are still in amazing shape.
    - Along with going home outfit - thermal or flannel blanket for car ride home - esp if your husband cranks the AC!!
    - Freezer meals - we did crock pot meals last time but waited until 36 weeks which was WAY too late, plan on doing our prep this weekend. This is the site I used: https://newleafwellness.biz/
    - I'll probably start packing my bag this weekend too - super early but I'd feel better if one thing was ready with all the house construction going on... 
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @Sarafuss That weekender is really cute! I already have a small overnight bag and a weekender in addition to my regular luggage available as options at home, so DH will lose his mind if I get something else, but now I'm feeling like I need to! :p
  • @noideawhatshesdoing lol I'm sure my DH is going to roll his eyes at me when it arrives because I could just use the same bag I've used the past 4 times.  But I usually go with the "but this is my last baby!" excuse and he lets me get what I want for the most part lol.  I do feel a need to make this whole "last time" special and if I want a cute bag then dang it, I'm getting one!  
    Married 9/19/09
    TTC#5 July 2017 - 3rd cycle TTC = BFP on 11/12/17 at 9dpo Beta #1 = 96 at 13dpo - Beta #2 = 207 at 15dpo
    3 rounds of Clomid + TI and 3 rounds of 7.5 mg Femara + IUI before our BFP on 11/8/10 at 12dpiui
    TTC#3 July 2014 - Metformin +TI = BFP at 9dpo - Twins, one baby lost at 5.5 weeks 
    Macy Annabelle born at 37w4d on 4/29/15.  Diagnosed with Cri du Chat and passed away on 6/6/15.  Forever in our hearts.
    TTC#4 3rd cycle of Metformin + Femara 7.5mg+Ovidrel+TI = 3 follies = BFP on 12/24/16
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I usually pack my bag with the different stages in mind.  So I'll have some stuff separated for L&D and then the rest for my postpartum stay. 
    For L&D:
    - chapstick, toothbrush and travel toothpaste in a small bag (I've been induced every time and always feel like I have dragon breath from being up all night and it really bothers me.  So I've learned to have this handy.  And the air is so dry in the hospital I need chapstick constantly.
    -phone charger and headphones (I'm bringing my AirPods in case I want to listen to music or meditation tracks while laboring)
    - snacks for DH (he doesn't usually end up eating much during this time but he likes to have a bag of chips and pop or energy drink)
    -I wear the hospital gown and a nursing sports bra.  I can't stand not wearing a bra but will be wearing a nursing version so we can do skin-to-skin and nurse right away.

For postpartum:
    -Toiletries bag with travel size shampoo, conditioner, body wash, face wash, deodorant, make-up remover wipes, moisturizer 
    -small makeup bag 
    -a couple pairs of comfortable yoga pants/sweatpants, nursing tanks, extra nursing bra, robe or zip-up hoodie, comfy underwear to go home in, cheap old navy flip flops for the shower and throw away when we leave
    -boppy pillow
    -outfits for baby, going home outfit, swaddle blanket, pacifier (I know the hospital has all of these things but I like to use our own stuff and I will be taking pictures so I have certain things in mind for that)
    -our good cameras, memory cards, batteries and chargers, laptop
    -DH always has his own bag for clothes and tech stuff to play movies from the external hard drive
    -a few snacks but for the most part I eat the hospital food and DH gets fast food or something from the cafeteria
    -a small gift for each sibling "from the baby"

I use the hospital pads and mesh underwear while at the hospital and just leave my preferred pads and postpartum care stuff at home.  
    Married 9/19/09
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @Sarafuss your list reminded me of a question I've been meaning to ask.

What do you guys think a good gift "from the baby" would be for my DD? She will be 2 years, 8 months on my due date. I want to get her something fun and special. We're definitely going to focus on a lot of fun family activities, especially once I'm on maternity leave and after baby comes but I want to get her something special. She's super in to mermaids, princesses, dresses, the color pink and swimming/water parks lol. I'm trying to avoid just another toy. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @runsomewhere my DD was 3 when DS was born and I got her a Wee Baby Stella doll so she had a baby of her own.  So are you trying to plan fun things to do with her or an actual physical gift from the baby?  As far as something "from the baby" I'm not sure what to get her other than a toy at that age.  I just saw a "Colors of the Sea" Ariel doll that would be fun for the bath or pool this summer.
    Married 9/19/09
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • ooo @Sarafuss made me think of something - Think about throwing an infant pacifier in your bag if you are open to using them!  We didn't and the LC's at our hospital were HARDCORE about pacifiers and infants and none were provided by the hospital.  DD was super orally fixated and when I cracked and bled they said we could use our thumb to soothe but would not give a pacifier - STM now knows better and I already bought a 2 pack to put in the bag.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @Sarafuss yeah, our goal is to do a lot of fun stuff with DD to make the transition a positive thing for her. Since I will be home for 4 weeks before my due date I'm planning a lot of water park and beach trips, same after the baby comes and DH is home with us. We might also do Disney as a family but we're not 100% sure. 

That being said, what kid doesn't like a special gift? So we do want to get her something from her baby sister. I googled that Ariel doll, that's cute, DD would like that. I think I was just hoping for something more special than another toy. I'm probably overthinking this since DD is so little. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @runsomewhere I was thinking about doing the same thing but DS will not even be 3 yet. I have been accumulating low key activities (painting book that uses water only and art supplies) to keep him occupied while I heal. I can’t think of one special gift either but honestly, he gets excited over the smallest things. My mom got my older brother an easel that was magnetic on one side and a chalk board on the other. Let me know what you come up with! 
  • @runsomewhere yea I get what you mean about a toy not feeling special.  At that age though I don't think anything other than a fun toy is going to seem fun.  But maybe you could do the toy and a special item?  A little bracelet or necklace she might appreciate when she's older?  Maybe matching ones with their names like this one?  Link in spoiler.

Married 9/19/09
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @gingerbride26 you're right that some hospitals don't provide pacifiers anymore.  I think ours still does but I'm not sure.  A lot of hospitals are trying to get this baby-friendly designation (its called something like that) and are pro-breastfeeding so I guess that means anti-pacifier?  My babies breastfed and took a paci no problem though.  I think it's kind of contradictory because most pediatricians are pro-pacifier because it reduces the risk of SIDS.  
    Married 9/19/09
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @gingerbride26 I kinda have my diaper bag packed already and I definitely have a couple pacifiers in there already. My DD didn’t take one ever and was also a oral soother so I ended up with an attached baby for 9 extra months lol

@runsomewhere @Sarafuss I totally made my DS (yes my son) a necklace when his baby sister was born. He LOVED stuff like that so I made him a cool one with metal letter beads and a cool blue charm that said “big bro” on it. He still wears it sometimes now 3 years later! It’s definitely one of his most special items.

He also got a blanket from DD. Both of my kids are pretty snuggly and he really enjoyed having his own snuggle blanket since DD had lots. (Though July might not be the best month for blanket presents)
  • Hmmm I think my son won’t understand the concept of a gift being from his baby brother. he’ll be not quite 22 months. I still plan to get him some stuff though for the sole purpose of keeping him busy. I’m thinking puzzles, books, coloring books etc. But if he were older I think it’s a great idea and for a girl (or boy!) a necklace or bracelet would be something more special. 

My kid never took a paci. we tried and tried and he just never wanted it. My mom said my 3
    siblings and I were all the same, and my sister’s two girls also never took them. There were times when I really would have killed to have a baby that took one haha. But I guess it’s nice that I don’t have to deal with weaning off one. I don’t really get how pacifiers are bad for nursing....nipple confusion I guess? But I just don’t really believe in nipple confusion, it’s actually flow confusion that can throw them off when going between a bottle and breast, and obviously there’s no flow with a pacifier. 
  • @zande2016 I don’t get it either. Babies aren’t stupid. They know a pacifier isn’t going to give them anything lol. Maybe it has something to do with the soothing. Soothing so much they dont want to wake up and actually eat? 
  • @hillbillywife I think you’re on to something with that. Also you want them on the breast as much as possible in the beginning to bring your milk in, so they should be soothing on your nipple rather than a paci. 
  • And846And846 member
    Love all the responses! So many of my questions have been answered through your comments. What i plan to do is have my bag and baby bag packed by WK 30 so i can have piece of mind. Only thing I’ll need to grab day of will be charger and makeup pouch.

in terms of food prep - i have saved a bunch of one pan oven meals and crock pot meals on Pinterest that i will be making. I read 36 was too late to do it...what is a better week to have the freezer stocked? 
  • @And846 I would recommend doing them while you feel good. If you are starting to feel uncomfortable the bigger you get i would say the sooner the better
  • edited May 2018
    @runsomewhere things remembered has a super cute mermaid snow globe with a front plate to engrave. So that would be along the lines of her interests and more special than a toy and you could have the front plate have a message from baby or something "big sister" related. You can also buy the snow globe and then get it engraved later on if you want the birthday or anything specific like that on it

ETA link: 
    https://www.thingsremembered.com/mermaid-trio-snow-globe/product/355133
  • I held off on giving a paci to DS because his latch was terrible at first. Also, in the beginning, it helps to have them nursing a lot so your milk comes in faster. Some women (me) are not big milk producers so you want that baby latched. We started using one at night when we had things worked out. My MIL annoyed the F out of me and kept saying we had to get a paci. She was so dang awkward holding him that he would cry. He didn’t need a paci, he needed to feel like he wasn’t going to be dropped. I caught her once trying to tuck his thumb in his mouth, and I ended up grabbing the baby out of her arms. 
  • Totally agree benefits of offering the breast as much as possible - with DD she just literally wanted to be on 24/7 and I hurt and bled so badly I couldn't do it, so the nurses yelled and LC's told us to start using our thumb and I have a video of that first night home of my husband passed out on the couch with his thumb in her mouth in the mamaroo because neither of us had slept in a day and she wouldn't stop crying without it.  I think it was an hour after that I grabbed the pacifier and never looked back.  I still ended up BF 45 min out of an hour most days and my milk production still sucked (probably stress and water/calorie consumption), but those 15-30 min of relief in between or when she was sleeping was so worth it for me.  Really didn't get their logic that a thumb is ok but a pacifier isn't...
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @hillbillywife that's super cute! I love that idea.

@carsonraynee I love that, what a sweet keepsake!  Also the idea of something being along my 2 year olds interests made me laugh and go awww her little "interests."

Regarding pacis, we didn't give one to my daughter till she was a couple months old. I don't even remember why we waited so long but she used it only at night and for naps here and there till she was like 18 months. I do remember being told by the lactation consultant that you should give the baby your clean finger to soothe on instead of a paci if they need something to suck on. Though this lactation consultant was horrible and also said "formula should only be given to babies is absolutely medically necessary" sooo whatever. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @gingerbride26 I ended up giving a paci because I had painful clog after clog. DS wanted to be latched all the time but my milk was thick and he was not removing it fast enough. 

I don’t know why they would say use a finger instead of a paci... In my experience people give a lot of conflicting advice. I think new moms just need to navigate what works for her and her baby. I had nurses pushing me to latch the baby and then the Lactation consultant at the hospital telling me that DS was in deep newborn sleep and I shouldn’t push it. I was at a loss about what to do! Then I went to a consultant outside of the hospital and she completely misdiagnosed my clogs as scabs from the baby licking. I went to another consultant and she helped me deal with the clogs. She couldn’t believe the other consultant said they were scabs when they were clearly milk / clog. 

• millpemillpe member
    So FTM with no actual experience. But regarding pacifiers, my LC said there is general guidance of waiting because you want to be able to learn feeding cues. She basically said since you can't tell how much they are getting so when they want to suck you should have them on the breast. But she was also pretty much like "do what works for you". 
    Me: 31 DH: 34 :heart: Married: April 2016
    TTC December 2016
    BFP 2/28/17 // CP 3/1/17
    MFI Diagnosis: Aug 2017
    BFP 11/1/17 // DS born 6/18
    TTC January 2019
    BFP 3/21/19 // D&C (MMC) 5/8/19
  • @runsomewhere I agree completely! You gotta do what works for you and your baby.