TTC after 35
Options

Over 40 IVF--only 1 normal embryo--need suggestions

I am 41. Have 1 healthy toddler, 2 miscarriages, and 3 ectopics (scarred tubes) and a few other minor problems. Recently went through my first IVF cycle and ended up with one PGS normal embryo (tested for aneuploidy). We need to decide, very soon, if I should transfer this and hope it sticks (doctors give 60% chance of implantation for this, and I don't know how my uterus or lining are doing at this point) or if I should go through another stimulation-retrieval cycle and see if we can bank more normal embryos, before starting the first transfer. If we transfer this and it fails, I will have lost more time and potentially quality eggs for a second retrieval. Not to mention the loss of hope. If we go through another cycle, we may not get any normal embryos or we may not need the second embryo (because the first one would have stuck anyway).
What would you do if you were in my shoes? Thanks!

Re: Over 40 IVF--only 1 normal embryo--need suggestions

• Options
    We didn’t do testing on our embryos, but only ended up with 2 after IVF, we transferred both and one stuck. We couldn’t afford another round of IVF, so this was it for us! (I’m 37) Don’t know if that helps, but 60% is pretty good. Do you want more than one baby? 
    Me: 39 SO: 36

Dx: low progesterone, possible DOR - officially "unexplained"

TTC#1 since November 2015
    9/16/2016 IUI#1 - BFN
    10/12/2016 IUI#2 - BFN
    1/21/2017 Clomid/IUI#3 - BFN
    March 2017 IVF: BFP! (beta#1 191, beta#2 378!) - it's a boy! DS born 12/6/2017

TTC #2 since July 2018
    May 2019 IVF #2: BFP! (beta#1 346, beta#2 646) - vanishing twin at 8 weeks. Baby B still going strong - due 2/8/20!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    ndz2018ndz2018 member
    edited April 2018
    Personally, and I’m 37 as well, If you have the means or insurance to pay I would try and bank them. I read this specific article a while back and it just makes sense that you have a higher rate of success with multiple rounds over 40.
    https://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2017-07-24/ivf-success-linked-to-multiple-rounds/8736186

@Momifbysea Is more of an expert on this than I am, she’s a true IVF warrior!! 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    mackororimackorori member
    edited April 2018
    So I’ve been lurking this board some, but being in a similar situation wanted to chime in. I’m 42 and just did my first IVF cycle after *TW* two losses, one definitively a chromosomal issue *end TW*. We did PGS and only 1 of the 3 that made it to testing came back normal. We are likely doing another retrieval for the same concerns that if the one doesn't work we could further lose time/egg quality. They told me our 1 has a 65% live birth statistic, but it’s still scary when you have already lost before. We would try and use a second if we were lucky enough to end up with one since we currently have no children, which makes the decision to do the second retrieval a little easier, but its still a really hard one knowing how the statistics are and that we could come up with nothing in round 2...
  • Options

Thank you for all the replies and input. 

We have made a decision. We will do one more stim-retieval cycle to try to get more embryos. Here’s why: 

1) We only want one child as a result of this process. But going with one embryo and 60% chance of implantation (clinical pregnancy, really) seemed not high enough for my taste. If we could get one more normal embryo, that would increase our chances of success to 84%. 

2) I am not worried about losing 1-2 months due to an unsuccessful (BFN) transfer. I am mainly worried about the possibility of a late-term and/or eventful loss. With a pgs-normal embryo, getting pregnant and then losing is a low likelihood event, my RE assured me. But I had a consequential miscarriage before. It cost me 11 months. And I am risk averse. A potential second or third trimester loss, along with a long recovery time could easily bring me to 42-43 years old. And my chances of collecting another PGS-normal embryo would be much lower at that time. I wanted to avoid the feeling of doom and gloom. So it is an emotional decision. 

2) Finances are of course a big consideration. Fortunately, I currently have insurance that would cover about 2-3 cycles at my clinic.

3) I did consider the risks of going through another cycle, that may be unnecessary or unsuccessful, but I was also assured that it wouldn't be considered overdoing it at this stage.

4) I haven’t thought about what I would do if I don't get any normal embryos in this cycle. 

Wish me good luck!

• Options
    I was on vacation when @ndz2018 posted this, and so I wanted to chime in. It took us 5 rounds before we got ANY PGS normal embryos (I did IVF at 42 and now 43). This was our last covered round and plus after 5 rounds straight my body is just wiped. If you read my signature I mentioned diet/personal care product changes that I credit for finally getting 2 normal embryos (our only 2) in this last round. Before we never had any make it to day 5 to be tested, barely any to day 3, so yeah, this made the difference for us. Go to your local library and find books on lifestyle changes for IVF and fertility diet, etc. there will be a call number with a handful of related books. I literally checked out all the ones that were typically co-written by an MD and naturopath type author and had success. I hope you do too!