Baby Names

Margot versus Margo

eleidingereleidinger member
edited May 2018 in Baby Names
My DH and I have decided on Margot for our upcoming sparkling bundle of joy (Margot Elizabeth for those interested in the middle name), but lately I've been seeing and hearing people say they know "Margo" as the spelling as opposed to "Margot."  I know some people will have a hard time pronouncing the name as she grows up because most of the younger generation being unaware of the name itself, besides those who are familiar with Margot Robbie (actress).  Is Margot the spelling you'd definitely agree with me on? We live in New Orleans, which yes, definitely has French roots, but in my search about spellings I'm just finding so many this or that opinions. I don't want my Margot to constantly be called "Mar-got" although my gut says that some people just don't pay attention and will learn because of my Margot that with a T at the end is how we/most people spell it and it's silent. I'm not interested in Margaux (so thank you in advance to those who love that alternate spelling). We looked at another thing online that says Margot is 2 to 1 in spelling over Margo, so I know I should spell the name however I want because it my choice, but it's still nice to get other opinions of what's common for those who will be in the same generation as well if you know them. Thanks for your opinions!

Re: Margot versus Margo

• According to the Babynamewizard website, "Margo" rose to popularity in the 1920's, peakin in the 1940's, and dying out by 1990; "Margot" had a similar trajectory but much less popular, although it is now back with a vengeance and more popular than "Margo" ever was in the 1940's. According to this, "Margot" is definitely the modern spelling. 
  • mb0112mb0112 member
    I’d definitely go with Margot and I think with the rising popularity you won’t have many pronunciation issues
  • Loading the player...
  • I don’t think you’ll have issues with Margot. If people mispronounce it, they will quickly learn the correct pronunciation. However, visually, I just like the look of Margo better. Regardless, great name!