October 2018 Moms

Product Spotlight: All things Cribs

Let's talk cribs, mattresses, sheets, etc.

Re: Product Spotlight: All things Cribs

• Omg let’s not! Lol there are soooooooo many!! I had a beautiful million dollar baby gray crib for my son. He chewed it. This one is getting something cheap!

DS 12/15/13

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Same as @Laumb11 I got Z a beautiful crib that he has chewed the crap out of! #3 got a second hand crib we found on Facebook. It's just a beautiful and they already had the toddler rails for it. Z's converts to a full, #3's doesn't.

E will be 18 on July 24th
    Z was born October 16, 2016
    #3 Due October 9, 2018

MC - November 29, 2012
    CP - November 15, 2014
    D&C for MMC - October 13, 2015

• Loading the player...
  • My mom still has both my brother (who's 8) and sister's (who's 10) cribs. I'm taking my brother's which is a darker brown. 

it still has the mattress, but I'm debating if I should get a new one for it. Do you think it matters? it's been stored in my parents attic. 
  • My mom still has both my brother (who's 8) and sister's (who's 10) cribs. I'm taking my brother's which is a darker brown. 

it still has the mattress, but I'm debating if I should get a new one for it. Do you think it matters? it's been stored in my parents attic. 
    I don’t know if it matters, per se, but I would probably buy a new one. The one I got for DS a couple years ago was like $50 on Amazon, so pretty affordable. 

Regarding cribs, I feel like whatever you like the look of is going to be fine. We spent a couple hundred on ours because we liked the style better than the $100 one at IKEA. But yeah, your kid’s going to gnaw on and bang up whatever you get. 
  • Also- shop around.  Guncle wanted to buy Blast’s crib, but we both didn’t like the look of the IKEA cribs, and I wasn’t going to let him pay $600+ at Buy Buy Baby. 

We tried Babies-R-Us, but apparently most of their stock was special order which they stopped when they started liquidation.  However, after looking around there, and a couple other places, we felt like we had a pretty good idea of what I wanted and were more comfortable ordering something online.  (We went through Wayfair.)
  • Yes wayfair has some nice ones. Def make sure that they have different settings on height and can convert, I love having the toddler bed before putting them in a big one. 

DS 12/15/13

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Which reminds me- just because it is convertable doesn’t mean it comes with the things needed to convert.  

I ordered the toddler rails at the same time as the crib so that when I need to convert in a few years, I don’t need to find them (assuming they are still available).
  • +1 on the chewing.  DD chewed a HUGE chunk out of hers and I'm not sure that I can even reuse it. I'm thinking about getting a teething guard/cover to put over the damage, but I'm honestly concerned that the chewing has compromised the structural integrity of the crib. 
    BFP #1: due 6/17/2013, DD born 6/25/13
    BFP #2: due 6/30/2017, MMC found 12/7/2016
    BFP #3: due 10/21/2018 
  • I got a used crib (3 years old) that was originally $950 for $75. There's a certain year that crib safety changed, so if you're considering used make sure you look into that. I believe it was 10ish years ago? I agree with going cheap. Even if they use it as a toddler bed, it gets beat up. 
    DS  12-1-2014
    DD 10-29-2016
    #3 due 10-13-2018
  • @knottieamusements Yes! Buy the conversion with the crib they can discontinue it. Some I have seen on Way fair include it. 

DS 12/15/13

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I bought the boards to convert Z’s to a full size but I didn’t buy the stuff to convert to a toddler bed. Actual toddler beds were cheaper than the toddler rail.

#3 Due October 9, 2018

MC - November 29, 2012
    CP - November 15, 2014

• edited April 2018
    With our boys, we got a convertible crib and did not get the toddler rails.  When it was time to move them to toddler beds, we just took the front off.  We didn’t bother with any rails or other hacks to keep them in bed & never looked to see if the rails were still available.  The first time they fell out, they each cried, but we told them it was ok and they were allowed to get back in bed and after that if they fell out, they would just get up and get back in bed.  It’s close enough to the floor that they don’t get hurt falling out.

+1 to chewing the crib.  I bought fabric teething guards and they kept taking them off and chewing the front rail.  

ETA for sheets, I found NOJO brand tighter and harder to get on than the others we had.  
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • The crib was one thing I didn’t really stress about last time. They’re all kind of the same, so we just went with one that we liked the look of. Got a convertible one so that we can use it as a toddler bed, but we will probably end up just keeping it as a crib and using it for DS 2, and getting a toddler bed for DS. 

Also, like others, DS completely chewed the rails on the crib, so the paint looks horrible now. We ended up making a DIY crib rail by cutting up some old sheets and sewing them over the top rails, but he still chewed it all up. We joke around that we didn’t realize we were having a beaver for a son. 
  • Anyone try one with the changing table attached? Thoughts?
  • We got the Babyletto Hudson and it's been great! It came with the toddler rails included. I had planned on using them, but will most likely use this crib again for this baby and move DD into a floor bed.

@sammierose464 I didn't even get a changing table at all. When the crib is at it's highest setting it is pretty easy to just change them in the crib. After we had to move the height down I just changed her on the floor, and still do.
  • @SawyerRichardson we have the same! Changing table too. We really like the set, and am not looking forward to shopping for a second set for this new kid - it was tough finding something we liked the first time! 
  • We ordered our set online from Costco. Best deal we could find for the quality. I was nervous since we'd never seen it in person, but Costco is great about returns so I went for it. Very happy. Will be ordering our next set from there as well.

+1 to making sure you're getting all the parts you need to convert it. That's what made the Costco one the better deal. It came with all the parts. Others seemed cheaper until you added in all the extras.

And I strongly recommend a rail guard to avoid the chewing. I originally got one just because it was a way to add something cute without a bumper. Now I'm totally glad we have it. We don't have one bite mark on what will one day become the beds footboard. And the guard was often soaking wet when I'd go in there. So he for sure would have done some damage without it.
  • @sammierose464 I don't have one because my crib and changing table were gifts, but I do love them. I find it much easier to change a diaper when the baby has his/her feet pointing towards me.

#3 Due October 9, 2018

MC - November 29, 2012
    CP - November 15, 2014

• @SawyerRichardson thats the one we are getting!
  • Oh, and think ahead about wild toddler-proofing your crib. I make sure we can drop the mattress all the way to the floor (gap at the bottom of the crib shorter than the mattress). Also that the back is higher than the front. Just in case we end up with an escape artist. 
  • @sammierose464 We also never had a changing table. I used our bed at first since getting on the floor after a c-section wasn’t easy, but after I healed, I just changed them on the floor.  I had a little changing pad that was designed to be carried in a diaper bag to put under them. Once they got to the squirmy fighting diaper changes phase I just threw a leg over them to keep them down while changing them.  No idea how I would have done it if I was trying to do it on a table.

If we got one, I would probably get one separate from a crib.  Our changing station is downstairs where we spend most of our time.  Going upstairs to the bedroom to change diapers seems like a pain.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I totally used my bed half the time for diaper changes in the beginning. With DS we needed a dresser so used the changing table a lot. We dont need a dresser this time so not sure if we will use it. I am not sure if a toddler would fit on top of the ones attached? I don't know but they seem smaller?

DS 12/15/13

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I use the changing table all the time - so much easier on my back, all the stuff I need is organized there, and DS gets up and runs away mid-change if he’s on the floor. 
  • Team anti-changing table. We had the changing pad on top of the dresser. It was awesome when he was tiny, but by about 6 months old he was too squirmy. It was just easier to be on the floor than worry about him falling off the dresser. I think I officially put it away around 9 months in exchange for surface space on the dresser. We have an ikea cart in his room with all the diaper changing supplies and keep a small little box of diaper and wipes in the living room (which are used way more than the actual cart).
  • @sammierose464 - We looked at the ones with the changing table attached, but they didn’t look like they were designed to be detached.  Since everyone I had talked to said they only used the changing table for a few months (if that), I didn’t want to be stuck with something I don’t use.   

I’m watching craigslist for changing tables and small dressers to use instead.  
  • We got a changing table off FB Marketplace for $40.
  • We still use a changing pad on top of the dresser at 18 mos! I like having everything together. But I have to say- I can't imagine using a crib as a full bed. They turn out huge! I think it would probably be cheaper to just get a cheap crib and get a nice bed later. 
    DS  12-1-2014
    DD 10-29-2016
    #3 due 10-13-2018
  • DunkinDecafDunkinDecaf member
    edited April 2018
    This boy will be getting the well loved, thoroughly chewed pottery barn crib that both girls used. Hopefully I’ll transition DD2 out of it and into a toddler bed over the summer so I’ll have it ready in time with a couple months in between for her to forget it was “hers”. If I want a little more time for it to sit in hiding I’ll keep baby in his sidecar crib or pack n play in my room a bit longer.

Ugh the app is unusually horrible today. Anyway. Edited to add I’ve never had a bad experience with pottery barn furniture. Our crib and changing table are both from there and they’re both great. Very sturdy.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • sparklingwhitsparklingwhit member
    edited April 2018
    I have a Delta something or other from DS. He chewed it slightly but it’s generally in good shape. We’re all about that hand me down life here. Had I known how my kid would wreck things I would have bought everything secondhand the first go. I guess that’s how we learn. All our sheets are generic baby sheets in gray and white so they will do just fine. 

Edit: I got the $50 special mattress at BRU. Don’t know what we will get this go around, but probably the same thing. 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Wow I had no idea so many toddlers chewed their cribs! We must be lucky in that dept DS has never chewed...but he does try and use his mesh bumper as leverage to climb out  :p

I wouldn't worry too much about crib selection, they are all mostly the same. Just go with whatever design you like and make sure its convertible.

I considered buying a used one for baby2 but ended up getting a good deal at BRU for a new one.
  • tlmilltlmill member
    We like IKEA cribs. They’re sturdy and affordable. They also come with the necessary parts to convert to a toddler bed (or at least the two that we had did). 

I’m anti changing table. We didn’t use one for either of our other two and absolutely won’t for this baby. With DD, we had a changing pad on top of her dresser but rarely used it. Honestly, we just change(d) them on the floor or on our bed. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • We got a Delta crib from Target. It was a decent price and they were running a special that included the mattress. It’s a convertible and its always been the plan to convert it to a toddler bed but it seems like whenever we get near that point, we end up needing it as a crib! If Squish is a girl, we’re probably going to get E a toddler bed so that they can share a room. If he’s a boy, then he gets the guest room with the crib, A’s bed will go to E and then A will get the guest bed, which is a double. Neither kid was much of a chewer so the crib is in decent condition. 

As for changing tables, we just got the matching dresser with the removable changer box thing that goes on top. My husband prefers to use it so that he doesn’t have to bend over too far. I change babies almost anywhere. I’m making plans to redo the closet so that either two girls can use it or so that E doesn’t need the dresser and it’ll just go
    to Squish. 
  • These two will go in the cribs from our older twins. One of which was DS1’s to start. For me change tables are a must. Nothing like trying to change a poop diaper on the floor and keeping twin 2 out of the mess!
    @sammierose464 check to see if the crib from your little brother has a drop side, they don’t make them any more because they’ve been known to drop and trap babies. Your call if you still use it as is, try to secure the rail (there tutorials to screw the rail to the frame), or look at a different crib. 
  • Thanks! I'll have to look