Baby Names

Dutch for a Boys name

hailz83hailz83 member
edited April 2018 in Baby Names
Hi All,
Just wondering what people think about naming a boy Dutch?? We really like uncommon names and as a teacher there are so many names I prefer not to use as they are just too common or remind me of particular people. 
Thanks 

Re: Dutch for a Boys name

• How does it fit with your last name?
    I am trying to like it, but it just isn't doing anything for me.
  • Are you Dutch? Honestly, it sounds like an old biker's nickname to me.
  • Loading the player...
  • My Uncle's nn was Dutch as a boy, but his given name was Harold. So I honestly think it's a nn that can be used with any name. 
  • DanyTargaryenDanyTargaryen member
    edited April 2018
    I don't care for it as a first name, although I think it could make a cute nickname. On second thought I'm not sure something that refers to a group of people is a great nickname either.
    _______________________________________________________________________________________________
    MMC 8/5/15 at 8 weeks
    DS born 9/13/16
    BFP 1/13/18 - EDD 9/20/18 - It's a boy!
  • Honesty as a given I think it’s awful.

Its a language or referring to people. It’s like naming your kid Italian, Spanish or Asian. I think it would get a lot of side eye in different areas and I wouldn’t put that on my child.

I like uncommon names too but honestly most things above like 500 on the social security name list are pretty uncommon, you can find something 

• Where I'm from, Dutch was a common nn given to someone who had an old dialect/speech patterns. I.e. they were speaking "Dutch" and a common in general nn for men from my grandfather's generation. 

As a given name, I would think that you were trying super hard to be cool, ot that you should have stuck to having dogs.
  • When i hear Dutch i think of the paper you use to roll a blunt. At least that’s what everyone called them in high school.

It’s a no go for me.
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • What about Hutchins/Hutchinson nn Hutch? 
  • @cantrellja We have a Harold in our family that went by Dutch too.

I would only do Dutch as a nn. 
  • cantrelljacantrellja member
    edited April 2018
    "@cantrellja We have a Harold in our family that went by Dutch too."

that's funny!
  • My childhood dog was named Dutch. 
  • Dutch also reminds me of the cigar that’s rolled into a joint.  

Also reminds me of Dutch oven.

• Dutch also reminds me of the cigar that’s rolled into a joint.  

Also reminds me of Dutch oven.
    Ooh. I forgot about Dutch oven. Poor boy will be known as a walking Dutch oven if he has an body odor issues.
  • I would assume the child had provincial parents who didn’t know or didn’t care (because it was irrelevant to their life) that the name has an actual meaning in the rest of the world. 
  • Dutch is a hard pass for me