September 2018 Moms

Bright spots on intestines?

I had my bi weekly ultrasound this morning (high risk) and my MFM said that baby has a bright spot on its intestines. I go back in 2 weeks and she said if it's still there we will do the free cell DNA. Does anyone have experience with something like this? Im worried.

Re: Bright spots on intestines?

• Sounds like an echogenic bowel? Does that sound right? 

It can absolutely be nothing to worry about at all! My layman interpretation (pro’s please interject!) is that it basically means there is a build-up in the bowel, as in poop. Rarely, it can become a blockage, most likely it will dissipate and not be an issue at all.  We got to see dd monthly because of hers, and I tried to just enjoy the extra chances to see her. 

Have you had any dna testing done? 

DD had an echogenic bowel that mostly disappeared as she grew. For us, it was one sign of her cystic fibrosis, *BUT* That was only because dh and I are both carriers of the cf gene. 1 in 31 americans are cf gene carriers, it takes 2 carriers to cause a 25% chance of baby having cf. Hence it is a rather rare disease, so please don’t panic!! 

There are also plenty of harmless things that can cause the bright spots! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

bfp#1-10/29/12,EDD: 7/3/13. nothing found @ 1st u/s, natural mc 12/10/12. "Bean"

bfp#2-5/10/13! EDD: 1/18/14. "Peanut" Arrived 1/13/14. Diagnosed with Cystic Fibrosis

bfp#3- 9/26/14. EDD: 5/7/15. no heartbeat found @ 1st u/s, natural mc 10/23/14. "Little Bug"

**Psalm 139:16**

• My Dr office messed up my first tri screening so they did something else at 15 weeks and said my risks for everything were low. Negative for CF... the Dr didn't say anything about echogenic bowel, but she did mention CF and also it being a marker of toxoplasmosis... to which I mostly panicked because we do have a new cat. She said we will test for this in 2 weeks also... 
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm not familiar with it, but good luck at your next scan! I hope it's all cleared up by then!

Started TTC Nov. 2011 

1st clomid cycle June 2012- No response :: HSG August 2012- Left tube blocked, right tube clear :: 2nd clomid cycle Aug. 2012 BFN :: 3rd clomid cycle Sept. 2012 :: BFP Sept 30th :: DS born 6/15/13 :: BFP #2 7/29/14 M/C 8/5/14 :: BFP#3 10/20/14 DD born 7/1/2015 :: Applied to be surrogate April '17 :: Transferred 1 Embryo for IFs Dec. '17 :: Surro Babe born 9/11/18 :: Started 2nd Journey May '19 :: Transferred 1 Embryo for new IFs 9/24/19 :: HB 138 at 6w6d

•  Not familiar but sending t&ps. Hopefully it will clear up. There is a timeframe within which the cfDNA is accurate. Might be worth asking about that. Good luck and please let us know how the follow up scan goes. 
  • Sorry I didn’t come back to this! Hope the next appt brings plenty of peace and clarity for you. 

The tricky thing about cf is traditional dna tests screen for the 18 or 36 most common genes, there are actually 1,800 cf causing genes. They are just so much more rare it’s hard to test unless you pay an arm and a leg for specific genetic testing. Insurance will rarely help with that sort of thing. 

Again though, in most cases it’s not an issue because it is SO rare. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

bfp#1-10/29/12,EDD: 7/3/13. nothing found @ 1st u/s, natural mc 12/10/12. "Bean"

bfp#2-5/10/13! EDD: 1/18/14. "Peanut" Arrived 1/13/14. Diagnosed with Cystic Fibrosis

bfp#3- 9/26/14. EDD: 5/7/15. no heartbeat found @ 1st u/s, natural mc 10/23/14. "Little Bug"

**Psalm 139:16**