July 2018 Moms

Product Spotlight 4/23: Cloth Diapering and Accessories!

SmashJamSmashJam member
edited April 2018 in July 2018 Moms
I know we already had a place to talk about this early in our group but thought this might be a good place to get that info organized. A lot of the women who contributed to that original thread aren't around anymore, so hopefully people are still interested in this topic!

This is a place for FTMs to ask questions and S+TMs to share the wealth of knowledge they've accumulated on baby products. Each week we'll spotlight a new category of product to help streamline and make it easier to refer back. This week it's.... Cloth Diapers and Accessories! 

Please use the prompts below to try to share as much relevant info as you can in a format that is easy for those reading to absorb/respond to. If you'd like to recommend/ask questions about more than one product, please copy/paste the prompts as needed.  

For S+TMs: 
  • Favorite [Cloth Diaper/Accessory]:
  • Link/picture:
  • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.):
  • What you like about it:
  • What you don't like about it, if anything:
  • Is there a [Cloth Diaper/Accessory] you don't have but are considering? Why?:
  • Is there a [Cloth Diaper/Accessory] you've tried that you absolutely hate? Why?: 
  • Additional thoughts on [Cloth Diaper/Accessory]:

For FTMs:
  • [Cloth Diaper/Accessory] you're interested in:
  • Link/picture:
  • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.):
  • Any questions about it/them for S+TMs?:
Our past threads are here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1nhSR3UAwJx8UitC9b2hRx57c4hHkK6BU679FjqXMeHQ/edit?usp=sharing

Re: Product Spotlight 4/23: Cloth Diapering and Accessories!

• I am a STM who cloth diapered for a bit, but it didn't work for us so I'm really a FTM! So I have more questions than answers, and am forgoing format because of this!

Ok: I bought hand me down cloth diapers of CL, none of my own were bought new. At all. I bought prefolds and Snappies and noticed that basically no matter what, DS leaked through anything that wasn't a fleecy pocket diaper or a cover with the prefolds. I had G-diapers with the plastic snap in where you were supposed to put an insert and all in ones that were all cloth and had a spider on the front (don't remember the brand) and I think both were too big at first, contributing to the leaks. 

Diapers I had the most success with (and continued to succeed with when we went back when he was 2 ish before and during potty training) were Imagine pocket diapers and Alvababy charcoal inserts. Second fave were the diaper covers, thirsties I believe, but with the charcoal inserts as he got older. I tried the prefolds when he was younger but still often got leaks and rashes where the cover hit the leg. 

My question: I am looking at investing in half  a dozen all in ones for DH and MIL when we go out, and covers and fitteds, all in newborn size. Is it worth the investment for stuff that will only be used for a few months (we are not necessarily done having kids)?
  • Gah ! I have so
    many diapers. 

My favorite if I remember for function were thirsties pockets. I have about 20 of them. Pattern I enjoyed bum genius. I feel like the thirsties fit better when SD was smaller. We used snaps. We did have a stash of newborn cloth - I thought I was buying thirsties but it was a china knockoff brand but they worked amazing!

we used cloth wipes and I made soap by using water and a little baby soap into a foaming dispenser. We never had a rash! If she looked a little red I used coconut oil. 

Id wash every other day. I used rocking green but this time I’m using tide free and clear.

we also have a diaper sprayer which we use even now to spray the potty chair out. 

I threw out put the spray shield we had bought because we never used it.

other brands I have are soft bums, simplex, and some fuzzibunnies 
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm a FTM but I was 12 when my sister was born and she was cloth diapered so I've got some experience  (I did a lot of babysitting) I never did the laundry, which is my biggest concern now. My mom used a variety of diapers but I'm going to be using bum genius all in one freetimes they're a bit pricier but I think that's my best bet for DH helping out. My mom makes wool diaper covers, and that's how we'll be dealing with leakage I don't have all the info but I do know wool is moisture wicking and self cleaning, so if you turn it inside out and let it dry after a leak you can use it again without washing (no odor or anything) for wipes my mom just used plain water on cloth wipes

So my question regarding laundry, did you find yourself stripping the diapers often? That's the aspect that seems the most intimidating to me
  • I'm a FTM but I was 12 when my sister was born and she was cloth diapered so I've got some experience  (I did a lot of babysitting) I never did the laundry, which is my biggest concern now. My mom used a variety of diapers but I'm going to be using bum genius all in one freetimes they're a bit pricier but I think that's my best bet for DH helping out. My mom makes wool diaper covers, and that's how we'll be dealing with leakage I don't have all the info but I do know wool is moisture wicking and self cleaning, so if you turn it inside out and let it dry after a leak you can use it again without washing (no odor or anything) for wipes my mom just used plain water on cloth wipes

So my question regarding laundry, did you find yourself stripping the diapers often? That's the aspect that seems the most intimidating to me
    I’ve never stripped mine
  • lovesclimbinglovesclimbing member
    edited April 2018
    *Lurker* I've never stripped my diapers. The last wash before I put the smaller size away, I washed them with a little bleach and some Dawn dish soap because they were going into storage until the next kid. That's the closest to stripping I did is adding that to the regular wash cycle.

Stripping is actually starting to go the way fo wet pails. It was a big thing everyone did, and now it's falling out of fashion. If you have a good wash cycle, you shouldn't have to strip your diapers. In fact, if you google "stripping diapers," one of the top results is an article by Grovia (a big cloth diaper brand) saying not to strip your diapers.
  • STM but first time cloth diapering, I am still building my stash, The cuteness obsession I have heard about is legit here. My favorites so far are the K&A Diapers and Alva. But I haven't used them yet.

I have 3 questions that I have asked in groups on FB that I am in and I cant seem to get a clear answer regarding pockets. I bought a few pre-loved diapers, Do I need to strip them before I wash them?

If I do need to strip them Do I throw the whole pocket diaper in the stripping water or just the insert?

and finally,

for my NB Size diapers, I have 6 AIO'S, will be getting 9 fitted's with 3 covers, flats and 5 or 6 more covers, is that enough for every 2 day wash?

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

BabyFetus Ticker

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

• I'm a STM and I cloth diapered my first, starting when he was about 5 weeks old. I tried so many types of diapers, but my all time favorite are the Grovia hybrids. I used them with both prefolds and the snap in inserts which are great for daycare. The Grovia ONEs are also great for nap or night time diapers are they are very absorbent. I also liked Thirsties duo wraps with prefolds and Lil Helpers diapers. Bum Genius were okay, but so wide in the crotch area which made for a weird fit...and my kid was a giant. I cannot imagine those on a petite baby. I really disliked Rumparooz they were weird all around. I also disliked the microfiber inserts that most pocket diapers come with. They are prone to compression leaks and not that absorbent in my opinion. I am somewhat tempted to try newborn diapers this time around, but my first grew so fast I doubt I'd get much use. Also extra laundry those first few weeks sounds terrible. 
  • @wysmom14 as far as the number of diapers, I was leaning towards 20 for an every two day wash, just thinking for those extra ridiculous days of diaper usage. Maybe an avg of 10/day is too much but a friend who is an ambassador for a diaper bank posted a stat that newborns can use 10 diapers a day.  

@limoncat I will have to check into the Grovia ONEs, I never pulled the trigger on night time cloth, was too afraid of leaks and changing the sheets constantly.
  • @SmashJam I should mention that they worked really well from about 6 months (when I first tried them) until around 18 months. Then he started peeing so much that we had to use night time disposables a size up. 
  • @wysmom14 @SmashJam

As far as number of diapers goes:

I did not use cloth diapers when DD was a newborn. We probably started around a couple months old. I have to change her diapers more frequently when I use cloth diapers versus disposable. We use disposable at night, and probably use about 8 cloth diapers a day (she is now 17 months). I think I have about 24 to 30 cloth diapers. It is nice to have a some extra diapers to use while your cloth ones are drying from the wash. I air dry the covers.

@carsonraynee We use pocket diapers. I stuff them after washing before putting them away. Then DH and I get to put them on just like a regular diaper. Just an alternative to All in Ones to consider! I never used AIO, but I have heard that they take longer to dry.

Favorite Accessories: Cloth diaper liners. I have used multiple brands without a real favorite. They are disposable liners you put on top of the inside of the diaper to catch the poop. They make cleaning the diapers way easier. Some say they are flushable, but I would be hesitant to flush them. 

Planet Wise Wet bags. These do a great job of containing the smell, and you just throw them in the wash when you wash your cloth diapers.

FYI, I am a part-time cloth diaperer. I am no expert, this is just what has worked for me!
  • I just found this thread and read through everything! Thank you all mommas. I am a FTM and diving head first into cloth diapering.