Stay at Home Moms

SAHM with Jobs

I'm about to start my new job on the 15th. I'll be working 20+ hours a week from home with at least two day trips per month. We are not TTC until December. Which will give me a lot of time to get a feel for the workload. Which will be really easy now, I'm thinking much less easy with a baby! Does anyone else work and stay home? How do you time manage?

Re: SAHM with Jobs

• I do freelance work from home. I take on projects that I can do during nap time or bedtime.
  • Loading the player...
  • I work from home 10-15 hours a week and work while he naps. We also have a childcare gal who is super flexible in case I need to set something up for a specific time. My house isn't as clean as it once was and I don't get fancy with meals, but we totally make it work and I still have downtime with DH and on my own.
  • ekneipp said:

I work from home 10-15 hours a week and work while he naps. We also have a childcare gal who is super flexible in case I need to set something up for a specific time. My house isn't as clean as it once was and I don't get fancy with meals, but we totally make it work and I still have downtime with DH and on my own.

Just a PSA this doesn't always work. My baby didn't nap 10-15 hours a week until over a year old.
  • In reply to the above, I do have a good napper, but that's why we also have a childcare gal handy if I need her. Through my husband's work we can set aside money for childcare (kind of like an FSA) pretax. We pay her, submit our expense, and are reimbursed so it saves us what we would have paid in taxes by paying her without that benefit.
  • We are self employed, my husband does a bulk of the business (out of the house) and I do what I can do from home.   I can tell you it is IMPOSSIBLE to work with a baby around (an awake baby anyway).  My hours are no 5am-7am, nap time (which is about two hours) and after 7pm.  

BabyFruit Ticker

• I've been working from home since before my daughter was born (almost 4 years) and my son is 3 months. And FYI my daughter hasn't napped since she was 18-months old.

You can work when the baby is awake IF you're really creative and organized. I put him in the Ergo and bounce him around while I stand-up working. I prefer this anyway because I get my energy up a bit and we get to snuggle. If my daughter is around - yes - it's impossible to work let alone get myself a glass of water. But she's in preschool 3 mornings a week so I work then, when they're asleep and on weekends. I can say it would be impossible to work like this if my husband wasn't also self-employed and just gets it. He gets the house is going to look like a bomb went off if I'm trying to squeeze in work and does whatever he can to help.

I save all my 'easy' tasks like invoicing and emailing people back, plus setting up some of my social media campaigns when the kids are around. Otherwise I save it for night. 
    Get $2,000 More in Your Budget Every Month with a Creative Earning & Savings System :-)  MothersWhoLaunch.com
  • I have Monday through Friday off to watch baby while my husband works. Saturdays and Sundays I work a total of 14 hours, with husband home to watch baby then. It's tough bc my LO is attached to me and every Saturday is the same story with my husband - endless crying, many drives to calm baby down and an exhausted husband when I come home. Sundays are bearable. I also do Beachbody Coaching part time, so that's extra income as well (if you're interested, lmk
  • I'd say it depends on your job. I work from home, but am self employed, so however hard I work is how much I get paid. I have a 2 & 5 year old and expecting #3. My kids are great at napping. I only make phone calls during nap time and I still manage to get a lot done. You have to be really disciplined with your time & be okay if you don't accomplish what is on your list for the day.
    I say, give it a shot and if it doesn't work out look at a day or so of daycare a week.
  • I am a work at home mom and have been for a number of years. I think it really depends what type of work you are doing. I wrote and copy edited full time from home at one point and had to get a sitter for this (part time). But, I have been able to find work from home positions that I could do work for at night, or just when hubby was home. It really depends. I think you have time to figure out how hard it will be do to with baby around and you can take it as it comes =)
    Alicia
    Mom to Three Sweet Things
    Lifestyle Blog and Health and Wellness
  • beemohrbeemohr member
    edited April 2018
    *Removed for TOU Violation*