August 2018 Moms
Options

STM Check In/Chat 4/19

Surprised this hasn’t been started yet!

How far along are you? What size is baby? 

Age(s) of other kid(s)?

How are you feeling??? 

Rants/Raves

Questions?

GTKY: What is your favorite book to read to your kid/s?
*Siggy Warning*
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: STM Check In/Chat 4/19

• Options
    How far along are you? What size is baby? 23+2 Barbie doll

Age(s) of other kid(s)? DS will be 2 on 5/1!

How are you feeling??? Sore hips, but mostly I’m just lazy and tired.

Rants/Raves: Got a new ring sling and I love it. I tried it out with DS. I hope I can figure it out for a newborn. The only other time I’ve worn one was the water ring sling, and DS was probably 2 months old before I used that.

Questions? I know our hospital offers a “big sibling class” but I’m not sure if it will really mean anything to DS. Has anyone done one of those? Plan to do one?

GTKY: What is your favorite book to read to your kid/s? Chu’s Day is fun. I love the Elephant and Piggie books, too.
    *Siggy Warning*

• Options
    @lalala2004 Is there an age range for the big sibling class at your hospital? There are two class age ranges at mine, but the minimum age for the younger group is 3, so DS won’t qualify.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    How far along? 23+4

Age of other kids? Almost 2

How are you feeling? Big.. but I know I'll get much bigger!

Raves- Really enjoying feeling movement!

Questions-
    Those with younger children.. will you transition them out of their crib before baby gets here?

GTKY- I like The Itsy Bitsy Bunny these days.. (short and sweet!)

@lalala2004 no plans for taking it at a hospital, but I think our local library offers similar classes. We might check those out. 
  • Options
    22+4. Apparently big enough that when my doctor felt my stomach yesterday, she said "oh yeah. Definitely growing!" in a good way.

Age(s) of other kid(s)?
    3 at the end of June!

How are you feeling??? 
    Heavy. All of a sudden my stomach feels very heavy. Might need to bust out my support band soon. 

Rants/Raves
    The kicks are incredibly. They weren't from zero to sixty in a week. Baby is very active. 

Questions?
    What did Braxton Hicks feel like for those of you who had them? I don't think I got them with DD, and I'm nervous.

For board books I like"kiss goodnight" or "the little blue truck". For a more traditional style short story I love "the sandwich swap".

@hopeful91 we switched DD to a toddler bed at 18 months, but a couple months ago we moved her out of the "nursery" and into her big girl room. 
  • Options
    @lalala2004 I wasn’t planning on doing a class but wanted to find a book for DS. He actual found a game on his tablet where you play a big sister helping with a little brother haha it’s cute!

@hopeful91 We transitioned DS about four months before he turned three only because I was having surgery and wouldn’t be able to pick him up. I personally wouldn’t rush it if you don’t have to. 

@7425cait I’m not sure I ever really felt them with DS either. When I thought I was having Braxton Hicks, it started as pain in my back and then I felt it wrap around to the front of my abdomen, but then I delivered a few days later. 

How far along are you? What size is baby? 23+4, grapefruit

Age(s) of other kid(s)? Four in 10 days! What?!

How are you feeling??? Not too bad! Everything has been fine since our little scare earlier this week, and we have our monthly growth scan today so I’m excited for more pics! The hip pain is kind of starting to settle in though...

Rants/Raves: Just starting to feel a little stressed about getting stuff done. I think maybe just having an actual date for delivery now makes me feel like “oh shit, it’s coming up!!!”

Questions? Nothing to see here.

GTKY: What is your favorite book to read to your kid/s? I’ve always loved reading The Giving Tree to DS. I actually have a tattoo from the book for him! Pic in spoiler  :)

• Options
    @7425cait BH felt like painless tightening with my first. I could actually see my bump tightening when I was further along (30+ weeks). 
  • Options
    @proudparent2b I hadn’t looked into it yet, so maybe it’s a moot point!

@7425cait my whole belly would get really hard/firm. It was uncomfortable, but not painful.
    *Siggy Warning*

• Options
    How far along are you? What size is baby? 24w1... cantaloupe or a puffin 

Age(s) of other kid(s)? 7, 5, and will be 3 in June

How are you feeling??? Tired. I wayyyyy overdid it yesterday (through no fault of my own... my car died so I was doing a ton of running around) and now my body hurts. Last night I was limping my hip and ground hurt so bad. In related news, latch car seat install suuuucks. My hands are throbbing from trying to get the one latch car seat out. Seatbelt install ftw!

Rants/Raves rant/rave is my car died - broken subframe not drivable donating it level dead. But... that means I’m getting a minivan yay! 
    And another rave is hitting viability yesterday!!! 

Questions? 

GTKY: What is your favorite book to read to your kid/s? Mine are a little older than most here but we’ve done some roald Dahl, and wizard of oz. almost done with little house in the big woods. Sharing my childhood favorites with them is so fun! 

A few favs of mine for the younger set: 3 bears in a boat, all the world (ABSOLUTE FAV- it’s gorgeous, calm, shoes nursing and babywearing, gorgeous cadence), my monster mama, beautiful oops, gruffalo (and room on the broom and others), going on a bear hunt, Rosie revere engineer (and others), the incredible book eating boy, it’s not the stork for kids wondering about babies, little blue truck, ummmmm that’s just off the top of my head. We are a great home library lol.

11/18/16 missed m/c 9w1
    05/2017 cp
    08/03/17 no hb 8w

• Options
    Kissing hand! Great for sep anxiety, works for 3ish. 
    Hands are not for hitting (etc) for the kids who kick bite push etc.

big brother sister class. @lalala2004 my oldest was under 2 and I didn’t bother. He wouldn’t have understood. When I had my youngest we did it and it was totally worthwhile for my 4yo, and bc he was slightly older and had a big brother already, my then 2yr old (and a few months) enjoyed it too. We’ll go again this time for 7, 5, 3.

11/18/16 missed m/c 9w1
    05/2017 cp
    08/03/17 no hb 8w

• Options
    Crib: depends. I got a second one for free so I kept my oldest in his - he was 21m old. He climbed out at 2y3 and I was glad he was contained in the interim. My younger 2 hated the crib anyhow and slept better in beds so the crib was long gone anyhkw

11/18/16 missed m/c 9w1
    05/2017 cp
    08/03/17 no hb 8w

• Options
    BH: sort of uncomfortable tightening of the belly. Sometimes just part of your belly too. Might kinda cause you to suck in your breath for a second kwim? 

If they are timeable then you call. Well first lie on your left and drink water and see if they stop. Shouldn’t hurt but they can be kinda uncomfortable, and sometimes contract are similar. But if they care to timeable then you should be ok. I thought they were cool. Belly gets super rock hard 

11/18/16 missed m/c 9w1
    05/2017 cp
    08/03/17 no hb 8w

• Options
    @7425cait I had a lot of early BH with my first pregnancy, starting around 20 weeks. Others have described them well - an uncomfortable but not painful brief tightening. I usually found they were triggered by not being hydrated well enough and/or exercise. They were never a problem. I haven't had a lot with this pregnancy yet.

@hopeful91 I'm in the same boat trying to figure out what to do with DS1's sleeping arrangements. He's 23 months and sleeps in a pack'n'play (we never got a crib). He's very happy in there and has not tried to climb out yet, but I've noticed he's almost as long as the sleeping space so I feel like he's going to outgrow it soon. The pack'n'play is also our changing table (it has one of those pull-out tables) and also has a bassinet that snaps in and I'd really like to move it to our room for baby #2, so I feel like we either have to transition DS1 to a regular bed or buy another pack'n'play. I worry that DS1 may not be quite ready for a big bed but I'm a minimalist and it kills me to think about getting yet another piece of baby stuff if we can just re-use. So, long story short I think I may buy a twin-sized bed for DS1 and try to move him soon to see how it goes. If it's a disaster then we'll quit and get the second pack'n'play.

How far along are you? What size is baby? 21+6 today and big enough that mom can't hide everything with a baggy shirt anymore

Age(s) of other kid(s)? DS1 is just shy of 23 months

How are you feeling??? I feel great! Enjoying it while I can.

Rants/Raves: I have inappropriate maternity clothes for my job and the weather. Right now most of my "professional" clothes that fit my growing bump are skirts and dresses, but it's still too cold to have bare legs. My regular tights are super-uncomfortable but the maternity tights I have are full-panel and they really just bunch up on me right now. I'm feeling to stubborn to go out and buy anything more when I think I'll only need/use it for a few weeks. I just wish SPRING would come already dammit!

Questions? Not really, just also following people's advice about transitioning toddlers into a bed.

GTKY: What is your favorite book to read to your kid/s? Current favorites are Goodnight Goodnight Construction Site and the Little Blue Truck books. We're also starting to get into Dr. Seuss which is fun and nostalgic for me. DS thinks that all the funny fictional creatures in Dr. Seuss books are puppies so he gets really excited.
    Me: 40  DH: 43
    Married 5/30/15
    TTC #1 June 2015
    BFP #1 9/28/15, EDD 6/10/16. DS born 5/23/16!
    TTC #2 May 2017
    BFP #2 m/c 11/18/17 5w5d
    BFP #3 12/17/17 EDD 8/25/18. It's a boy!
  • Options
    25+3, I think cauliflower? 

Age(s) of other kid(s)?
    4 and 1. 

How are you feeling??? 
    Starting to get heartburn so that’s fun. I’ve been so focused on other things going on in life that I haven’t paid much attention to symptoms. 

Rants/Raves
    DS is starting to interact and play with DD more, it’s so cute watching them play with something together. 

Questions?
    No. 

I like the “If you give a..” books. Cute and short. DD’s fav is If you give a pig a pancake. 
  • Options
    Re transitioning out of crib-
    My daughter sleeps well in her crib but will outgrow it soon (almost 2) and I kind of want to have her in a toddler bed before baby (we want to use her crib for this baby).
    I'm on modified bed rest though so trying to keep things easy... right now sleep is pretty easy...
  • Options
    I'm so late to the party this week! Hi ladies!!!

How far along are you? What size is baby? 23+3

Age(s) of other kid(s)? DS is 20 months, DSS is 13

How are you feeling??? Pretty good, baby was head down when I had my cervix check but I think she might have flipped back around because all the big kicks are back to being low in my pelvis and little jabs are higher. 

Rants/Raves Everything is moving so fast now! And I think we have a solid plan of what to do for furniture and all that for both baby and DS so yay!

Questions? Ugh you guys. Anybody feeling guilty for the time they'll be kinda taking away from their older kids once new baby comes? I'm feeling sooooo guilty lately, like poor DS is used to my undivided attention and I'm going to be splitting the time and attention between 2 littles. Plus we've never spent a night away from him before so even though he'll be at my SIL's while we're in the hospital I'm having a panic attack about leaving him. 

GTKY: What is your favorite book to read to your kid/s? Love anything by Dr. Seuss! The rhythm of the words have always been so good for night time reading and then there's books like Fox in Socks that's just fun for me and DH to read! 
    Aug '18 Siggy Challenge - April Showers

Me: 37   Him: 38
    Married 11.07.2015

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @mrsbubbles-2 I'm feeling very guilty. I'm actually already feeling guilty because I'm on modified bedrest so I haven't been able to do as much with her. 
    I've also never been away from her for a night; the hospital will be the first time. I'm so nervous about it!
  • Options
    @mrsbubbles-2 actually if anything I feel kind of guilty that baby #2 won't have the luxury of my undivided attention. Obviously he won't know any different, but DS had me to himself for 2+ years, so he's had his chance! I do worry how he'll react and behave, but in the long run having a sibling will be such a good learning experience for him, and soon enough they'll be playing together and giving each other attention, I hope! 
    *Siggy Warning*

• Options
    @lalala2004 - so true! I didn't think about it that way, and that really helps, thank you :) I'm worried about things for the first few days home, like figuring out nursing, and what to do if this baby likes to cat nap like DS did, how to keep DS occupied while that is going on. I'm so excited for DS to have a sibling close in age - our family is done having babies so DS and this one are the last two and will be the youngest so it helps that they'll have eachother. 
    Aug '18 Siggy Challenge - April Showers

Me: 37   Him: 38
    Married 11.07.2015

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @hopeful91 We transitioned DS to a toddler bed at around 19/20 months with no real issues. The big thing for DS was that his head had to be above the end of that little railing so that he still felt protected.

We did make sure that he was extra tired for the first few nights so it wouldn’t be as big of a deal.
  • Options
    @mrsbubbles-2 Definitely feeling the guilt as well! DS is in daycare FT so I already feel like I don’t get enough time with him. He’s also been extra clingy to me recently, which makes it even harder.
  • Options
    I'm really excited to see the girls interact although I know they won't be playing together for a while.

I'm so unsure how naps will go with 2!

@proudparent2b we are debating giving her a twin mattress on the floor or getting a toddler bed when the time comes. I think she'll like the rails like you mentioned though. She usually snuggles pretty close to them in her crib. 
  • Options
    I'm actually a little excited to give DD a little less attention. That comes off really wrong, but she knows she's the only kid in the house and gets our undivided attention. Like @lalala2004 said, I think it will be good for her. I'm also a little worried about not being able to bond with the new baby as much because of having DD around. She will be going to daycare 3 days a week which I think will be great. She'll get time out of the house to play with friends, and I'll have solo time with the baby. 
  • Options
    Guilt: nope nope nope. From a btdt experience - and also as the oldest of 4 kids myself. You are giving your oldest a GIFT of a sibling. imo and ime you are giving them a friend, a playmate, a peer, but also inthink it is to kids benefit NOT to have your sole attention. It teaches them to get what they need from ppl, to negotiate and share, to socialize. To fend for themselves when they can. My anecdotal observation is that often oldests don’t learn that way to charm people naturally and it comes more easily to younger siblings who had to get attention from Day 1. 

Its normal to feel however you feel but a sibling is a gift! You are not hurting your oldest at all. Things will be different, but that is ok!

11/18/16 missed m/c 9w1
    05/2017 cp
    08/03/17 no hb 8w

• Options
    I am feeling SUPER guilty about this one. My boys have each other and while most of the time they’re fighting I know they really love each other. They’re also closer in age (5 & 3) so when baby girl comes they will be 6 and 4 years older than her. I feel guilty for her that she won’t have as close of a bond as they have and I feel guilty for them that I’m changing their normal and our family dynamic. Guilt is totally normal, though! Mom guilt is so hard. 

August 18 Siggy Challenge: April Showers

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    I am excited for DS to have a sibling, and I really wanted to have another kid because I think it will be really good for him.  He's the only grandkid on my side, and he really is the center of the universe most of the time.  I think it'll be good to show him that he's not.  Plus the benefits of having someone to play with.  All that being said, I do worry about the transition.  I think it's going to be tough to suddenly have a tiny creature sucking everyone's attention and giving nothing in return.  We did just get a book called "The Littlest Viking" from the library that sort of addresses this.  It's actually really cute, I'm debating buying it.

23+3

Age(s) of other kid(s)?
    2 and a few

How are you feeling??? 
    Pretty good!

Rants/Raves
    Oh, we had a doozy of a tantrum tonight.  I don't have the energy to go into it, but it's a really good thing that he's so sweet and charming when he's feeling good, because these tantrums are pretty hard to take.

Questions?
    Not today.

I like the ones that have a good rhythm and rhyme, like Dr. Seuss.  I find them easier to read, since I end up half memorizing them (or all memorizing).  I especially like The Lorax and the Gruffalo (not Dr Seuss).  I don't actually like Fox in Socks, it's hard to read!
  • Options
    @Secretstapler I think you might be surprised that your son will hopefully feel the same stuff we grownups feel from a new baby... my older kids really really adored getting to ‘hold’ the baby, so let him do that any time he asks, let him. Help him with it and make it safe but any time my kids asked I said yes. It is good for bonding. and they feel soooo proud to be a big brother, to teach the baby stuff, to help mom and dad. My now 5 yo used to help my youngest nurse - his own invention - by sitting next to me and putting his hand on my breast. He said he was helping him nurse, so it can be so simple. Or helping put the ‘sticker’ on the diaper. Things like that a 2yo can feel involved. I’d encourage them to sing him a song if he cried too. It often worked!!

11/18/16 missed m/c 9w1
    05/2017 cp
    08/03/17 no hb 8w

• Options
    @pghctwife. Thanks!  I think you're right about that.  He's getting excited, and talks a lot about being a big brother and getting a little sister.  I think we just need to manage his expectations now about what that means, since he's talking about playing cars with her.  But I like the idea that he can "help" nurse, that seems like the part that could potentially exclude him the most.
  • Options
    Nursing is a good time to also snuggle with him - have him cuddle next to you abdvread him a story or watch a show together. I remember my middle at one point put a whole bunch of little toy cars all over me and the baby so he could ‘play’ with them too lol. Sure the baby can’t do what the big kid hopes for right away but I’ll bet the big kid will figure out quickly how to make it work for him. 

Daniel tiger new baby episodes are excellent for this age range too. I actually bought the dvd bc it wasn’t on Netflix yet, we watched them over and over. 

11/18/16 missed m/c 9w1
    05/2017 cp
    08/03/17 no hb 8w

• Options
    Other stuff I thought helped: special big brother tee shirt - play up how special and important and what a BIG DEAL it is to be a big brother. Get big brother a gift in the hospital from the baby. My oldest got an Elmo doll he still sleeps with. Let him pick out a special baby gift... a lovie, a book, etc. 

if asked, remind family members bringing baby gifts to get something small for him too. Or get some small things like new coloring books, new chalk whatever small stuff like that he likes to have on hand too.

11/18/16 missed m/c 9w1
    05/2017 cp
    08/03/17 no hb 8w

• Options
    24 weeks +. Baby is the size of a Puffin 

Age(s) of other kid(s)?
    1- 18 months

How are you feeling??? 
    Pretty good. Finally over all the colds and junk

Rants/Raves
    Waited 45 min at the Dr for a 10 min appointment. Super annoyed. 

Questions?
    Nope

Loving the Little Blue Truck books right now. He loves the animal sounds and makes them along with me as we read. 
  • Options
    @pghctwife I really appreciate the input from someone who has been there.  I know logically that it'll work out, otherwise no one would ever have siblings, but it's really nice to hear details from someone who has done it and had it all turn out great.  We are planning on moving the rocker from DS's room into the baby's room and replacing it with a mini couch so that there's a place that we can all snuggle together when reading or nursing.  And we haven't actually tried watching Daniel Tiger yet, but I hear a lot of good things.  I think we'll turn it on soon, and look for those episodes in particular.
  • Options
    @mrsbubbles-2 I’m kind of with you on the guilty feeling, but it definitely goes both ways. I feel guilty that DS will potentially get less attention and that this baby will never know having our undivided attention. DS will still be in summer camp three days a week while I’m on maternity leave so it’ll be nice to have those days to just bond one-on-one with the baby. I’ve been trying to do as much with DS as I can now; I think this birthday is a little bittersweet because it’s his last as an only-child. I’m probably overthinking the whole thing, and it will all be wonderful watching them together. I probably care more than they ever will but the guilt is still there.
  • Options
    I feel both ways a bit. We’re going to have a 5 year gap so I feel like DS has had a ton of time alone, but he’s also very aware that the time is ending, unlike say if he were 2 instead. 

Then I also feel bad that they won’t click until much older. But mostly I’m hoping DS will learn a bit from having a sibling. It’s just tough timing because he starts Kindergarten in the fall so we’re throwing a lot of life changes at him in a span of 2 months!