December 2018 Moms

April Home Birth/Birth Center Support Thread

I haven’t seen one of these yet, so I thought I’d start!

This will be my second HB and would love to answer any questions!

DD1 | Jan 2009
DD2 | June 2011
DS1 | Oct 2013
   ADD3 | Oct 2014 (April 2001)
DS2 | June 2016
DS3 | Dec 2018

Due with baby blob August 2021

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: April Home Birth/Birth Center Support Thread

• I hope you don't mind me hanging out here, too. In Alabama midwife-attended home births are...well, they just really don't happen. Here's a summary of all the laws and stuff. I'm planning on having a med-free hospital birth and laboring at home for as long as possible. My mom is a CNM, so she'll be driving down with all her gear to monitor the baby.

Full disclosure: my first birth was a home birth in Las Vegas. It was supposed to be perfect. There was a ton of meconium. Baby got stuck and then when he came out he wasn't breathing, so they rushed him to the hospital where he was airlifted to Salt Lake City to have ECMO done. Thankfully he narrowly avoided it and spent the next three weeks recovering from meconium aspiration syndrome, but it was super duper grim at first.

So. Yeah. Shit happens. I'm sure 99.9% of home births are beautiful, but I'm still trying to process my own less-than-perfect experience, and get over my fears for this next birth. I know it will probably happen a lot faster, and I'm hoping to keep my weight under control so that I don't birth a beast. (Then again, maybe i just grow beasts! I don't know!) And the second I see meconium I'm heading to the hospital.

Debbie Downer out.

Me: 31 | DH: 31
    Together since 2003 | Married 2010
    TTC #1 January 2016
    BFP April 18 2016 | EDD December 29, 2016
    Welcome baby A! January 9, 2017

TTC#2 March 2018
    BFP March 30, 2018 | EDD December 12, 2018
  • I would have loved to try a home birth with one of my pregnancies. But now I'm on my last kid, and a new Kaiser hospital here in San Diego was just built and its so high tech and fancy that I'm soooo excited to give birth there. 
    I would still like to dream of home births though.

(Last labor happened so quickly that I made it to the hospital that was only 8 minutes from my house just in time to lay in a bed and push, so maybe I will end up with a home birth.. or a car birth if this baby comes out any faster than the last.)
    Bobby Llewellyn born September 29, 2012
    Kade Wayne born July 23, 2015
    MC in February 2017
    MC in November 2017
    Oliver Dean (Ollie) due December 17, 2018

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I hope you don't mind me hanging out here, too. In Alabama midwife-attended home births are...well, they just really don't happen. Here's a summary of all the laws and stuff. I'm planning on having a med-free hospital birth and laboring at home for as long as possible. My mom is a CNM, so she'll be driving down with all her gear to monitor the baby.

Full disclosure: my first birth was a home birth in Las Vegas. It was supposed to be perfect. There was a ton of meconium. Baby got stuck and then when he came out he wasn't breathing, so they rushed him to the hospital where he was airlifted to Salt Lake City to have ECMO done. Thankfully he narrowly avoided it and spent the next three weeks recovering from meconium aspiration syndrome, but it was super duper grim at first.

So. Yeah. Shit happens. I'm sure 99.9% of home births are beautiful, but I'm still trying to process my own less-than-perfect experience, and get over my fears for this next birth. I know it will probably happen a lot faster, and I'm hoping to keep my weight under control so that I don't birth a beast. (Then again, maybe i just grow beasts! I don't know!) And the second I see meconium I'm heading to the hospital.

Debbie Downer out.

Birth trauma is a real thing and can happen anywhere. I’m hoping things will change for Alabama soon. It sounds like you have a good plan in place and great support! 

I have issues with all three of my non-home births. Nothing horrific or emergency. But issues with my voice not being heard and other things.

I hope your next birth brings you peace and healing. <3

DD1 | Jan 2009
    DD2 | June 2011
    DS1 | Oct 2013
    DS2 | June 2016
    DS3 | Dec 2018

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @Gwyneddlesliegrace Yeah, that's the thing about non-home births. I was obviously very educated on birth due to my background and really really wanted to avoid the "spiral of interventions" that often comes with induction, epidurals, etc. And I bit my tongue and watched so many of my Bump pals go through it and end with C-sections. The Alabama rate of C-sections (according to the CDC website) is very high, essentially one in three. I am really terrified of my voice not being heard in the hospital, and the fact that I'll probably be hooked up to monitors and confined to my bed, for the most part. Hence my current plan :) I'm also considering hiring a doula. But yeah. Trying to bring in positive thinking for sure!
    TTC #1 January 2016

TTC#2 March 2018
  • @Gwyneddlesliegrace Yeah, that's the thing about non-home births. I was obviously very educated on birth due to my background and really really wanted to avoid the "spiral of interventions" that often comes with induction, epidurals, etc. And I bit my tongue and watched so many of my Bump pals go through it and end with C-sections. The Alabama rate of C-sections (according to the CDC website) is very high, essentially one in three. I am really terrified of my voice not being heard in the hospital, and the fact that I'll probably be hooked up to monitors and confined to my bed, for the most part. Hence my current plan :) I'm also considering hiring a doula. But yeah. Trying to bring in positive thinking for sure!
    I bite my tongue a lot on boards here. Lol

I was going to suggest a doula. Every birth I work with one tends to go SO much better. Also, a firm DH who knows your wishes helps too. 

DD1 | Jan 2009
    DD2 | June 2011
    DS1 | Oct 2013
    DS2 | June 2016
    DS3 | Dec 2018

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I'd talk to your OB about it early on, to see what hospital policies are flexible and which aren't. I'm all about avoiding the spiral of interventions, like you both mentioned, but at the end of the day a home birth just wasn't for me. I had two med-free births in hospitals. No IVs, minimal monitoring (all of which I agreed to because of the specific complications with each pregnancy), totally supportive staff. I know it's not always the case, but I also hate seeing everyone jump to the worst case scenario when my own experiences were pleasant enough. At the very least, feeling out your OB at the beginning can give you a clearer plan of what you're going to have to go in guns blazing, and what you won't have to worry about as much. 
    Pass the sheet cake.

BabyGaga
  • @runrinserepeat That’s encouraging to hear, thank you! 
    TTC #1 January 2016

TTC#2 March 2018
  • @PensiveCrayon Thanks for the link about Alabama laws, i'll check it out later. Assuming things continue progressing well, I will be birthing in AL and I also want to avoid too many medications. I'll wait until we move to start asking for recommendations from other AF spouses out there. 
    NTNP since Dec 2012 | TTC since Jan 2016
    Dx: Unspecified IF

BFP#1 Nov 2017 • Blighted Ovum + MMC • D&C at nine weeks
    BFP#2 Apr 2018 • It's a boy! • Born 13 Dec 2018 :love:
    Anniversary
  • I might lurk this thread a little too. I’m not planning to have a home birth (DH is just too nervous about it, and I am a little too). But I definitely 100% want an unmedicated birth with no interventions if possible. So I also plan to labor at home as long as possible. The hospital I will deliver at is only 15 mins away so hopefully I can do most of it at home. I scoured the internet for doctors in my area that are supportive. Settled on a practice with 3 doctors  and a midwife (any of who could be with me on delievery day) and they also seem open to natural birth and very familiar with midwifery. I have my first appointment in a week and a half and I’m hoping all I’ve read is true! 
  • @nerdeebird your birth preferences sound so similar to mine! Even the living near a hospital part. I’m about a 10-15 min drive from the one I’ll probably deliver at as well. 

I’ll also lurk this subject. My SO really isn’t down for a home birth. Mostly the noise aspect of it, and possible messiness, because we live in an apartment complex. I don’t mind giving birth in a hospital as long as I can labor how I want (when I figure out what that is, lol). A lot of our hospitals have water tubs for laboring- some do water births too. I don’t know enough yet what kind of crunchy experience I’m looking for, hence the lurking. 
  • @nerdeebird your birth preferences sound so similar to mine! Even the living near a hospital part. I’m about a 10-15 min drive from the one I’ll probably deliver at as well. 

I’ll also lurk this subject. My SO really isn’t down for a home birth. Mostly the noise aspect of it, and possible messiness, because we live in an apartment complex. I don’t mind giving birth in a hospital as long as I can labor how I want (when I figure out what that is, lol). A lot of our hospitals have water tubs for laboring- some do water births too. I don’t know enough yet what kind of crunchy experience I’m looking for, hence the lurking. 
    My H was similar with mess and being nervous. When we met with our midwife his mind was put at so much ease. Now he’s probably a bigger homebirth advocate than I am!

DD1 | Jan 2009
    DD2 | June 2011
    DS1 | Oct 2013
    DS2 | June 2016
    DS3 | Dec 2018

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @Gwyneddlesliegrace this is how my husband was about natural birth. Total skeptic turned absolute advocate. I’m all, “meh, if I really really want the meds, I guess I can take them” and he’s all, “but cascading interventions! No! Let’s change positions or walk more or this or that”. So... I guess I did a good job at persuading him, go me?
    Pass the sheet cake.

BabyGaga
  • ^ Nice! Last time DH surprised me with his research. One day he brought up kangaroo care and why he thinks we should make it a priority. 

Either we’re persuasive women or we have amazing SOs :wink:
    NTNP since Dec 2012 | TTC since Jan 2016
    Dx: Unspecified IF

BFP#1 Nov 2017 • Blighted Ovum + MMC • D&C at nine weeks
    BFP#2 Apr 2018 • It's a boy! • Born 13 Dec 2018 :love:
    Anniversary
  • @tumbleweed-1 @nerdeebird have you guys checked to see if there are any birth centers you could use? My husband wasnt big on homebirth either so we settled on a birth center. The room was like a giant bedroom and my midwives were perfect at letting me labor how I wanted to and pretty much left me alone (except to monitor vitals and check baby periodically.) birth was an absolute dream! Maybe that could be an option to y’all! 
  • @sterjacks21 we have a few birth centers here, some of them are even on hospital grounds, I think. That way more medical tech is nearby if its needed. I'm just worried about forced medical intervention to get my bed open again. I've seen some documentaries/read articles about how American hospitals are about getting the babies born quickly, and the next mom ready. 

I also just remembered about my poor cat. She would also be tramautized if I had a home birth. lol
  • @sterjacks21 there used to be a birth center across from my hospital but it JUST closed....there isn't really anything else nearby where I live. Especially with options that take my insurance...It's really unfortunate there aren't better options for women. 
  • I really, really want a home birth this go round. But at my first appt the urine culture came back positive for UTI with Strep B. So I took the medicine for that but they said I would probably need treated at birth for it as well and of course, the last thing I want is baby swallowing fluid with strep b in it and catching pneumonia. I'm not sure if they are able to test that stuff around delivery time if you do a home birth? 
    Married: 08/04/13
    DS: 11/25/14
    DD: 06/25/16
    EDD: 12/05/18

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • MDKC14 said:
    I really, really want a home birth this go round. But at my first appt the urine culture came back positive for UTI with Strep B. So I took the medicine for that but they said I would probably need treated at birth for it as well and of course, the last thing I want is baby swallowing fluid with strep b in it and catching pneumonia. I'm not sure if they are able to test that stuff around delivery time if you do a home birth? 
    I really can’t believe they said that... strep b comes and goes. Just because you have it now, doesn’t mean you will then. Get on a good probiotic and fermented food and you should be good. A CPM will absolutely check for strep b, if you you choose to. 

There are also also options for moms who test possitive to still have a homebirth. Midwives are skilled in treating it. 

I’d recommend meeting with a CPM and getting a feel of all that they do!

DD1 | Jan 2009
    DD2 | June 2011
    DS1 | Oct 2013
    DS2 | June 2016
    DS3 | Dec 2018

Pregnancy Ticker
  • lovesclimbinglovesclimbing member
    edited April 2018

MDKC14 said:

I really, really want a home birth this go round. But at my first appt the urine culture came back positive for UTI with Strep B. So I took the medicine for that but they said I would probably need treated at birth for it as well and of course, the last thing I want is baby swallowing fluid with strep b in it and catching pneumonia. I'm not sure if they are able to test that stuff around delivery time if you do a home birth? 

I really can’t believe they said that... strep b comes and goes. Just because you have it now, doesn’t mean you will then. Get on a good probiotic and fermented food and you should be good. A CPM will absolutely check for strep b, if you you choose to. 

There are also also options for moms who test possitive to still have a homebirth. Midwives are skilled in treating it. 

I’d recommend meeting with a CPM and getting a feel of all that they do!

*lurker* Yea, strep B does not automatically mean hospital birth. I had my baby at a free-standing birth center, and they were totally set up to take care of it there, including IVs, although I didn't need it.

Also, I'm really surprised they tested and are concerned about it this early! It can come and go. It's typically tested for at 35-37 weeks.

Also, just so you have full information, if you are positive in late term, you can decline to be tested and/or treated for it. 
  • @nerdeebird You may find this recent convo helpful if you haven’t seen it yet!
    TTC #1 January 2016

TTC#2 March 2018
  • We are hoping for a home birth. My first was a hospital induction and overall a negative experience. Had a wonderful homebirth with my second. Then a nightmare with the third where our home birth midwife bailed on us at 39 weeks, ended up in the hospital with a doctor I’d never met, she pushed for pitocin and I caved (which I will regret forever). Ended up with a c section and severe PTSD afterwards. Praying that all goes ok with this one and that we have a healing experience and successful hbac. Have found a really supportive midwife and planning to also hire a doula to help with the anxiety and fear from the last birth. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @MissAmber23 Have you found a midwife who will attend a VBAC?
  • Hi ladies! I’m planning on a home birth! Had the first in the hospital, next 2 at a birth center, and am ready to move this thing home. Hopeful for a healthy baby and no complications that would rule it out :)
  • Yes, we have. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @MissAmber23 That’s great! I’m not even eligible for the birth center here due to my c-section.
  • We live in the middle of Amish country, so there are many homebirth midwives in the area. I actually found two who would be willing to attend - one happens to live very close to us so we chose to go with her. I’m just praying that all goes smoothly, because the last one was such a nightmare. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @MissAmber23 Ooh what state?? My mom is a home birth and birth center midwife for a bunch of Amish (and English) in northern IN! But she is taking all of december off for me :lol:
    TTC #1 January 2016

TTC#2 March 2018
  • I was considering a home birth, but *TW* after 3 losses I've lost my nerve and want to have the option of fast intervention if necessary *End TW*.  Luckily the hospital I would give birth in has nice birthing suites and birthing tubs (although my OB practice won't let moms deliver in the tub).  I had a water birth with my son at a free standing birth center, it unfortunately has since closed due to funding issues.  It was a great experience, I'm happy to answer any questions if people are interested.  
    Me: 35  H: 35
    Married: 4/5/13

"You know that place between sleep and awake, 
    that place where you can still remember dreaming?
    That's where I will always love you.  
    That's where I'll be waiting."
    ~Peter Pan 

*TW*
    BFP #1: 11/12/12  EDD 7/25/13 Baby boy: 7/27/13
    BFP #2: 10/29/17   MMC dx @ 9 weeks
    BFP #3: 2/2/18 MC 2/7/18
    BFP #4: 3/2/18  MC 3/9/18
    RPL testing and hysteroscopy: all normal
    BFP #5: 4/1/18 MMC dx @ 14 weeks ----> genetically normal girl  :'(
    Hysteroscopy to remove scar tissue 9/28
    BFP #6 11/5/18 EDD 7/20/19  <3  Rainbow baby girl born 7/23/19 
    BFP #7 12/8/2021 EDD 8/22/2022 
  • @MissAmber23 Ooh what state?? My mom is a home birth and birth center midwife for a bunch of Amish (and English) in northern IN! But she is taking all of december off for me :lol:

is your mom Kate? She was the first midwife I called, and she referred me to her colleague because she said my due date was one day after her daughter’s!

what a coincidence if that’s your mom and we connected here!!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @MissAmber23 YES! OMG HAI! What an incredible coincidence!
    TTC #1 January 2016

TTC#2 March 2018
  • That’s really crazy!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Pregnant with our seventh. First two births were typical hospital/epidural affairs. Third was a med-free hospital birth. Fourth was at a freestanding birth  center (so no drugs). Fifth and sixth were homebirths; each born in water, the tub set up right in the middle of my room. 

So going for a homebirth again.  <3
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Pregnant with our seventh. First two births were typical hospital/epidural affairs. Third was a med-free hospital birth. Fourth was at a freestanding birth  center (so no drugs). Fifth and sixth were homebirths; each born in water, the tub set up right in the middle of my room. 

So going for a homebirth again.  <3
    Baby number 6 here!! 

DD1 | Jan 2009
    DD2 | June 2011
    DS1 | Oct 2013
    DS2 | June 2016
    DS3 | Dec 2018

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Third was a med-free hospital birth. Fourth was at a freestanding birth  center (so no drugs). Fifth and sixth were homebirths; each born in water, the tub set up right in the middle of my room
    @thetwistedwillow, what’s your take on water birth? I’ve had 2 med free (and somewhat fast) in a birth center but never in water. Hoping for homebirth for my 4th and not sure if I should plan on trying water or not! 
  • @ally_speechie I had my son in the water. It was awesome for pain management but I didn’t love pushing in water and wish I’d spoken up on that. (He was stuck though, so they were having to hold my legs and it was generally a nightmare.) I’d say have it around as an option for sure!
    TTC #1 January 2016

TTC#2 March 2018