June 2018 Moms

Freezer Meals/Food Prep/Stockpiling

As we are now into 3rd tri and some of us even have the delivery scheduled, lets talk dooms day prepping! 

What are your favorite meals for freezer meals? Please included links or FULL instructions (we need pregnancy brain proof). 

What other food/meal prep do you like to do? 

Suggestions on stockpiles also welcome. Aside from diapers and wipes, what household items will you be stocking up on? Do you prefer Costco/Sams or Amazon?
*TW LC*
Me & MH: 32
DS: 6/1/18 (Pre-E; IUGR; seizures; NICU)
TTC #2: 12/2019
Sept 2020: HSG possible blocked right tube
Nov 2020: Letrozole + TI - BFN
Dec 2020: Letrozole + TI - BFP!!! EDD 9/18

Re: Freezer Meals/Food Prep/Stockpiling

• How are we to this point of looking at stockpiling!? :O 

We need to get a bigger freezer, but we've tried to do a few meat things already marinated then vacuum sealed it. I'm going to try and do more, then label them as 'stockpile' so we leave them alone.

I'm also starting to grab a few pre-made meals {ie; lasagna, stirfry, etc} that you can just throw on stove or in oven for something quick.
  • I have made these before for a friend when she had a baby and they are easy and yummy. It's nice to have some hot breakfast options, especially ones that you can eat with one hand, when you might be getting up a ton in the middle of the night/morning. You can customize them and add meat if you like (I added sausage) or keep them vegetarian.
    https://www.gimmesomeoven.com/freezer-breakfast-burritos/

I plan to make a tray of chicken enchiladas and freeze them without the sauce and cheese on top (tends to freeze better that way). 

Since it'll be summer we will probably grill a lot because it's easy and yummy. So I will make burgers and freeze them or just keep frozen burgers in there along with some chicken breast in an easy marinade like Italian or Balsamic dressing. 
    DD born 6/21/2018
    DS born 9/24/2020
  • Loading the player...
  • @elsie42 mmm those look good!
    I thought about smoothies as a breakfast/snack/food, but didn't think of making an actual breakfast thing! Great idea!
  • Here is my plan so far:

Breakfast:
    -burritos
    -egg McMuffins
    -oatmeal cups

Dinners: 
    -these 10 crock pot meals that I think I can just throw in the instant pot too
    -burgers/brats/other grillables

I need ideas for snacks and easy grab lunches to have on hand. 

*TW LC*
    Me & MH: 32
    DS: 6/1/18 (Pre-E; IUGR; seizures; NICU)
    TTC #2: 12/2019
    Sept 2020: HSG possible blocked right tube
    Nov 2020: Letrozole + TI - BFN
    Dec 2020: Letrozole + TI - BFP!!! EDD 9/18

• So when we were expecting DD I had the luxury of 2 full size fridges and a chest freezer. 
    I made up a bunch of Crock Pot dump meals and froze them one weekend when chicken was on sale. 
    DH thought I was mad, I was probably nesting in my own way. I was inspired by this one post, but after picking and choosing, testing and trying we have included 2 of the recipes into our regular food rotation. 

https://newleafwellness.biz/2015/02/11/salsa-verde-crockpot-chicken-recipe/

https://newleafwellness.biz/2013/02/13/slow-cooker-turkey-black-bean-chili/

Original post:
    https://newleafwellness.biz/2015/08/06/31-crockpot-freezer-meals-for-back-to-school/

We now have an instant pot, and I have a few recipes I keep the basics in for. Mostly soup based. 

This time round we have a normal sized freezer. And that's it. So I will be getting in the ingredients for the above, and ensure our pantry is stocked with basics. 

I have asked for meal delivery service gift certificates as Mother's day gifts. 

As for stocking up, we will be getting toilet paper, maxi pads, coffee, snacks (almonds, granola bars, dried fruit, thinks you can nibble on that wont; matter if cold, and won't get soggy), colace, painkillers, laundry detergent. 
    Mama to a wonderful DD - Sep 2015, Wife to my DH since 2011, 2 dogs, a cat, and hoping to add No. 2 in May/June 2018. Canadian.
    5 - IUIs, 3 - IVF retrievals, 2- failed transfers (fresh, and frozen), PGS on second IVF resulted in 1 perfect emby, and DD. 
    3rd IVF w PGS resulted in 3! perfect embys. 1st transfer - Sep 2017 2 more on ice. 
  • @mytinc I hate leftovers, frozen food, etc., of any kind sooooo I'm not doing it either. Also I live above a grocery store. Also my mom is going to be staying with us. Also we live in NYC so I can just order delivery from anywhere lol. 
  • We didn’t really stockpile food. Didn’t have room. I think my SIL made us two dishes we could freeze when DD was born, but we aren’t doing freezer meals. We have Costco frozen foods and Postmates at our disposal. Plus, it’s hot as balls in the summer here and freezer meals tend to be comfort/soups. 

I did start stockpiling size 1 diapers since we’ll need them anyway, and we both have full paychecks. 
  • @mytinc @doxiemoxie212 We're not doing too much either. We have a relatively small freezer, but I wanna have stuff that if we forget to defrost something or we're not functioning enough to actually make something, we can grab and toss in the oven.
  • Thanks for starting this!!

I'm going to pinterest to find more recipes but I think I will freeze burgers, brats ect for grilling and probably make a list of easy instant pot meals.

Good idea on the fish sticks and chicken nuggets for the toddler since I know she will eat that.

I want to make sure to keep gatorade, LA croix, etc on hand so I have plenty to drink. I liked having trail mix, granola bars, pudding, ect on hand for quick snacks so I need to think about that too

We are so excited to grow our family!
    DD #1 Born 10/3/2014

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I just bought a bunch of healthy-ish bars that will be easier to grab for me and the toddler.   Our freezer is pretty full but I want to make muffins, pizza dough, Lactation cookies and a few other dishes. Maybe next weekend ...
  • These all sound like great ideas but I need someone to help me meal prep it just feels so overwhelming to prep weeks worth of food. 
  • On the topic of stockpiling, has anyone ever been successful freezing sour cream? I had read that you can, but when I tried it one time it came out a pretty funky texture. I wasn’t sure if that was a fluke or pretty much just a sign not to try it again. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @mytinc @doxiemoxie212 @MissKittyDanger No stockpiling here either.

I don't have a big freezer, but did stockpile a few things in there with my first. It ended up being a real pain because the freezer was too full for favorites like frozen fruit/veggies and ICE CREAM. Plus we didn't really want frozen food.

But we live in an area where it's ridiculously easy to order in. We are a 5-min walk from an outdoor market and 3 grocery stores. And my MIL was over at least 1x/week to cook.

So. Not going to stockpile anything this time.
  • I want to stockpile, but we have a tiny fridge/freezer so we'll have to see if we end up buying a chest freezer before baby comes. 
    My list of meals- 
    Lasagna
    Meatballs (italian style/regular) 
    A variety of frozen/marinated meats that DH can throw on the grill. 
    I'm also going to meal prep breakfast stuff, mostly for the kids, but some for us too.
    French toast sticks, waffles, pancakes, mini muffins. 
  • Was talking to my H about freezer meals/stock piling and even though I have savings, idk how long it will take for employment insurance to kick in - so we've decided to buy a little extra with next few groceries so then if it takes a bit, we're not concerned about when we'll be able to do groceries.
    Not stockpiling per say, but somewhat similar idea.
  • 2 weeks @MissKittyDanger - it takes 2 weeks.... at least. As you have to go to a Services Canada office, to qualify... I don't believe you can do it before hand.... OR maybe you can... depending on when you are taking time... CRAP.... something else on my to do list. 

Mama to a wonderful DD - Sep 2015, Wife to my DH since 2011, 2 dogs, a cat, and hoping to add No. 2 in May/June 2018. Canadian.
    5 - IUIs, 3 - IVF retrievals, 2- failed transfers (fresh, and frozen), PGS on second IVF resulted in 1 perfect emby, and DD. 
    3rd IVF w PGS resulted in 3! perfect embys. 1st transfer - Sep 2017 2 more on ice. 
  • 2 weeks @MissKittyDanger - it takes 2 weeks.... at least. As you have to go to a Services Canada office, to qualify... I don't believe you can do it before hand.... OR maybe you can... depending on when you are taking time... CRAP.... something else on my to do list. 
    I've heard a week from some places and two from others.
    Dammit. Good thing I have money stashed aside :\ 

Fuck service canada lmao - only bonus is my work is sending my ROE so I don't have to go and I have online access to follow up already.
    Btw is it bi-weekly payments? I cannot find a clear answer