Baby Names
Options

Middle Name for Abigail (Honest Opinions Please!)

Hey all!! I'm looking for some honest thoughts on a name for our second baby girl. Our first is Hannah Elise, and name meaning is huge to us. We've already vetoed a list of names that sound good but have no or unfortunate meaning.

Abigail is the first name we chose, and we love it! We were convinced it was a boy and the plan was to name a boy after my husband (not a junior, but a shared middle name or similar). Since that's not the case... Abigail = Father's Joy (beloved). My husband first, middle name combined = Bright, beloved. 

So our middle name options that we've narrowed down are:

Elaine = bright & shining light, also an Irish (husband is Irish heritage) form of Helen (my grandma who passed when I was young)
Claire = bright, clear (shared meaning with both my name and my husband's)

Obviously Elaine has more meaning, and is our top choice, but I'm concerned that it sounds too "old fashioned" and shell grow up hating her name (as I did, because I felt it was too old fashioned). Claire to me sounds younger/fresher than Elaine, but I could be wrong about this too. I like both and I'm not really THAT partial to Elaine of Claire is a better combo.

Honest opinions are welcome! I'm not easily offended and we'll make our own decision regardless, I'd just like to hear what people will be thinking but hopefully too polite to say once she's born. ❤️

Middle Name for Abigail (Honest Opinions Please!) 50 votes

Abigail Elaine
64% 32 votes
Abigail Claire
36% 18 votes

Re: Middle Name for Abigail (Honest Opinions Please!)

• Options
    Love Elaine!

we used it for Our DD Giada Elaine and get endless compliments on her middle name. 

• Options
    Love Elaine. I thought my middle was old fashioned when I was little but now I love it and love the meaning behind it. I don’t personally think Elaine sounds old fashioned though... 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Why not Helen?
  • Options
    I think either option is a good choice!
    _______________________________________________________________________________________________
    MMC 8/5/15 at 8 weeks
    DS born 9/13/16
    BFP 1/13/18 - EDD 9/20/18 - It's a boy!
  • Options
    I love Elaine, because it's an underused iambic name. Like Nicole and Marie, it pairs well with so many names and helps keep it from being choppy. I also love how much thought you've put into this. :)
  • Options
    Why not Helen?
    Just not a huge fan I guess. We also did a similar thing with my first daughter's middle name, using a family name but changing it up to make it unique to her. 
  • Options
    I see what you mean about Claire being more “fresh”. However i think Elaine is totally fine and Abigail Elaine flows nicely IMO
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • Options
    If Elaine has significance I’d go with that but I don’t really like it.  To me, Helen is an old name ready to come back (like your child’s great grandmother) and Elaine is more dated as a middle aged lady... Helen sounds prettier to me.

Or maybe another variation like Helena or Ellen, Elena/Elaina 
  • Options
    I think Abigail Elaine sounds so pretty, and I'm hearing Claire everywhere as a first or middle name lately. It's true she may think it's old lady-ish when she's a kid, but kids have a lot of opinions that they eventually grow out of.
    Me: 29 || DH: 29
    TTC #1 4/2016 || dx NIR PCOS 7/2016 || BFP 4/2017
    DD - 12/28/17 <3

TTC #2 3/2019
    BFP 5/2019 || MC - D&C 5/2019
    BFP 2/2020 || EDD 10/10/2020
  • Options
    I don’t think Abigail Elaine is a name anyone would talk about behind your back. I do like Claire better, but family names trump pretty names by a mile for me.

If you use Claire, the spelling Clare is Irish, which you said has meaning for you. 

Both names are great!
  • Options
    I chose Abigail Claire because I like the name Claire better and think it flows better with Abigail