September 2018 Moms

Product Spotlight 4/16: Breast Pumps + Accessories

Someone requested this be the next product spotlight! 

Please use the prompts below to try to share as much relevant info as you can in a format that is easy for those reading to absorb/respond to. If you'd like to recommend/ask questions about more than one product, please copy/paste the prompts as needed. 

For S+TMs: 

• Favorite [pump]:
  • Link/picture:
  • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.):
  • What you like about it:
  • What you don't like about it, if anything:
  • Is there a [pump] you don't have but are considering? Why?:
  • Is there a [pump] you've tried that you absolutely hate? Why?: 
  • Additional thoughts on [pump + accessories]?:

For FTMs

• [Pump] you're interested in:
  • Link/picture:
  • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.):
  • Any questions about it/them for S+TMs?:

Re: Product Spotlight 4/16: Breast Pumps + Accessories

• Favorite [pump]: The only electric pump I’ve tried was the PISA. I also love the Medela Harmony manual

• Link/picture: Google will show you 

• Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.): $$?

• What you like about it:Worked fine for me. Good output. Easy to find parts at any store. The manual was super convenient when I needed to relieve pressure or pump quickly and didn’t have a lot of space (I used a manual pump at a concert in a bathroom stall)

• What you don't like about it, if anything: The PISA is loud! And not a closed system, but I never had trouble with milk backup. The Harmony manual is awesome and easy to use. 

• Is there a [pump] you don't have but are considering? Why?: Nope. I only get the PISA with insurance and I’m fine with it. 

• Is there a [pump] you've tried that you absolutely hate? Why?: nope

• Additional thoughts on [pump + accessories]?: I’m probably no help. I’m a slave to Medela due to my insurance. I will recommend seeing if you can take home a manual pump from the hospital for free. My LC offered one while I was at the hospital and got it free. Also I recommend checking Amazon for a cheap backup or second pump for working moms who will need to pump at work and home. I was able to score a second PISA for $160ish on Amazon with the bag and accessories and it was worth every penny!
  • edited April 2018
    I was planning to pay for the upgrade to get the Spectra 1... I'm also considering the Sarah Wells Kelly bag to bring to work, but I'm curious if anyone has experience with the bag in order to justify the price.  :#
    *typo
  • Loading the player...
  • @spottedginger Did we? I kinda thought we had but then I also lurked other BMBs breast pump product spotlights so I couldn't be sure. 
  • @BusinessWife I fully intend on spending more on a pumping bag this time around. A bag that comfortably fits pump, flanges and bottles in a cooler, and preferably work related stuff is a necessity to me. Also. YGPM.
    • Favorite [pump]: I used the Hygeia (I can't remember if it's the Q or the Enjoye, but I think they're basically the same except one comes with a tote and stuff) and a manual Medela Harmony pump last time

• Link/picture: https://www.hygeiahealth.com/product-category/breast-pumps/
      https://www.medelabreastfeedingus.com/products/157/harmony-breast-pump

• Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.): The Hygeia was free through my insurance; Medela is $30 at Target where I bought it, but it was on sale (they wouldn't honor their online price so I had to order to pickup in store and waste 3 hours while they filled my order :::eyeroll:::)

• What you like about it: The Hygeia was great IMO; it's a closed system which may not be necessary but makes it easier to pass on the pump without worrying about any hygeine issues; it has separate speed and strength dials which were fantastic. You can send it back to them to be recycled if you don't have anyone to pass it on to.

The manual pump was my backup and it worked really well when I needed to use it, it just took more effort because I couldn't do anything else while pumping.

• What you don't like about it, if anything: It was kind of loud, although not more so than other pumps I imagine. I didn't use bottles other than the ones that came with it, but it wasn't compatible with a ton of things, although I think they do have a better adaptor now.

• Is there a [pump] you don't have but are considering? Why?: I'm considering the Spectra; it has the same features I liked about the Hygeia but seems more accessible. I don't know if I can get an electric pump through insurance, though, so I might just re-use what I have.

• Is there a [pump] you've tried that you absolutely hate? Why?: No

• Additional thoughts on [pump + accessories]?: I only pumped part-time while I was at work, 3 days a week with probably 2 pumping sessions on each of those days. A hands-free bra was really useful for me. And the Pumpin Pals flanges were WAY better than the ones that came with the pump. I was able to pull out the original flanges from their connector piece and put the Pumpin Pals ones right in there, so I didn't even have to do the double-flange thing they show. https://pumpinpal.com/shop/super-shields/

I brought an insulated bag with my pumping stuff (except the actual pump) in it that I kept in our work fridge; it's just a regular lunch bag so it was discreet. I refrigerated my parts between sessions, although I've heard they recommend against that now. An extra set of accessories can be helpful, or multiple sets if you pump a lot. I used the bottles that came with the pump to express directly into, then I would combine them into a spare bottle so I could use them for the next pumping session. At home I measured out anywhere from 2-4 oz into freezer bags and froze them flat. I kept those in a gift bag in the freezer with a cut at the bottom of the bag to pull out the oldest ones first - there's a bunch of examples on Pinterest. That worked well for us, especially since I we didn't need bottles every day and I had a good supply. I was able to just use the bottles that came with the pump and a couple of extras that I got as freebies that had flat caps instead of just nipple lids and didn't have to buy any extras.
    2/13 Blighted ovum, D&C -- 6/13 MC -- 8/14 DD born -- 3/17 MC -- 9/18 DD2 born
    Expecting again -- EDD 7/27/20
  • I used the medala pump in style (it was free through my insurance). It worked for me, so I’m planning on getting new tubing etc. to be able to use it again. 
    Repeating what some others have said: the storage bags I used (Lanoish) did tend to leak. Medela makes reusable plastic storage tubes that I’m hoping to try.

I used microwaveable sterilizing bags that were an easy system for me. 

Don’t forget to purchase nursing pads! I leaked a lot at the beginning. I used lanoish pads and liked that they had adhesive to keep them in place on my shirt or bra.
  • Re: nursing pads

Did anyone try the milkies milk saver ones?  I'm not sure if it's gimmicky or totally awesome.  Or what about reusable cloth ones?  Any good recs?
  • I have both a Medela PISA and a Spectra S2. I liked the more customizable controls of the Spectra but output-wise both pumps seemed to work the same for me. I go the Medela through insurance because that was the brand I knew most about then a mom on my last BMB gave me her Spectra so I could have 2 pumps and not tote the Medela back and forth every day.

I am eligible for another pump through my insurance for this pregnancy so I plan to get another Medela since I have a lot of bottles and spare parts for the Medela but only one set for the Spectra so Medela will be my main pump again this time.

Storage bags seem to be a really personal preference. I hated the Medela bags and loved the Lansinoh ones. I did have 2 leak during the thaw process, but for how many I used 2 wasn't bad. I also thawed milk bags in a clean zip lock bag so if it leaked I could still use the milk.

Lansinoh disposable breast pads were my favorite. Their regular ones, not the super duty/overnight ones. You can generally get a big box for pretty cheap on Amazon.
    _______________________________________________________________________________________________
    MMC 8/5/15 at 8 weeks
    DS born 9/13/16
    BFP 1/13/18 - EDD 9/20/18 - It's a boy!
  • +1 to Pumpin Pals flanges @treeofcheem. They were SO much more comfortable and I had better output using them than the Medela flanges.
    Me: 32   DH: 32
    BFP #1: 1/23/2012  DD: Born 9/20/2012  <3
    BFP #2: 12/30/2017  DS: Due 9/10/2018  <3

• @BusinessWife I tried some of those milk saver things. I just used them while I was nursing on whichever breast wasn’t currently being used (letdown occurs on both breasts at the same time, not just the one being suckled, who knew?). They were awesome to start and I’d get an extra ounce or so each nursing session. They started to leak after a few weeks though and I eventually gave up on them. 
    But if you’ve got low supply issues, that little extra is really nice!
  • nackie said:
    @BusinessWife I tried some of those milk saver things. I just used them while I was nursing on whichever breast wasn’t currently being used (letdown occurs on both breasts at the same time, not just the one being suckled, who knew?). They were awesome to start and I’d get an extra ounce or so each nursing session. They started to leak after a few weeks though and I eventually gave up on them. 
    But if you’ve got low supply issues, that little extra is really nice!
    Yes!!! I totally forgot about this. Whenever I nursed I would let down from both sides - I would put the milk saver in whatever side I was not nursing from to catch whatever leaked, let the milk cool, then add it to a bottle in the fridge. Mine never leaked and I used it for a while. Eventually the leakage stopped being enough to bother collecting but at the beginning when my supply was still regulating I'd get a good amount depending on how long it had been since I last nursed DS.
    _______________________________________________________________________________________________
    MMC 8/5/15 at 8 weeks
    DS born 9/13/16
  • Re: nursing pads

Did anyone try the milkies milk saver ones?  I'm not sure if it's gimmicky or totally awesome.  Or what about reusable cloth ones?  Any good recs?
    I loved the Bamboobies heart shaped ones. Disposables itched like mad!!! I couldn't stand them!
    https://www.target.com/p/bamboobies-milk-proof-regular-overnight-washable-multi-colored-nursing-bra-pads-4pk/-/A-15833418?ref=tgt_adv_XS000000&AFID=google_pla_df&CPNG=PLA_Baby+Shopping&adgroup=SC_Baby&LID=700000001170770pgs&network=g&device=m&location=9029975&gclid=Cj0KCQjwttbWBRDyARIsAN8zhbLjScizP4Ze0EZAFQ-w-1G-jIW_bUU07leXRNRJotNIZCgk63MWL7EaAmUlEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
    • [Pump] you're interested in: Medela Symphony (hospital grade pump that you rent)
    • Link/picture: https://www.medelabreastfeedingus.com/products/category/breast-pumps
    • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.): I think $$$ but I can rent it for $.
    • Any questions about it/them for S+TMs?: Has anyone ever used a hospital grade pump? It was the only one recommended by my OB and my insurance will charge $20 a month for it. I'm glad @BusinessWife asked about those Milkies savers because I've heard of them and was very curious about them. Did anyone have to use a bar or tea supplement to help with supply, if so, what would you recommend? I've heard about the Oat Mama bars but that's about it. Are there any nipple salves/ creams that you could recommend? 
    Me: 33 DH: 31 Baby: 9/2/2018 BabyFruit Ticker

• JLyn821JLyn821 member
    edited April 2018
    Re: Nursing pads

i think it’s totally dependent on how your boobs are. With DS, I could use my cloth reusable ones with no problem. I only used disposable if I was going to miss a nursing session. 

With DD, I had to use disposable because I’d leak through the reusable ones every time. Even when I weaned her at a year old, I still needed the disposable ones. 
    Daisypath - RkZ5
    AlternaTickers - Cool free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool free Web tickers
  • So I read an interesting article about the bamboobies (after I purchased them, of course). If you follow their care instructions of gentle cool washing and air drying or low drying, there is no way to kill the bacteria that can grow inside the fibers. She posted pics under whatever light and it was pretty gross. They are so soft and cozy though. I had issues with the thicker disposables bunching up visibly even under two layers of clothes. My absolute favorites were munchkin disposable ones. Paper thin, but quite absorbent and never obvious under tank or bra. 
  • @smsaulino I ate a lot of oatmeal and healthy fats (flax, nut butters, avocado) to help with supply, as well as drinking lots of water. Aside from that, I did take fenugreek and blessed thistle which both help with supply. You can also make your own oat cookies/bars using brewer's yeast, which is supposedly good for supply. re: nipple salves/creams, I used lanolin but have also seen Earth Mama Nipple Butter recommended here several times and plan to try it this time around.

• @smsaulino my LC recommended fenugreek. It seemed to help.
     I also tried location cookies and every other food type suggestion. I’m not sure those made a difference, but the cookies were yummy and a good way to get calories in when I was too exhausted/busy to eat real meals
  • thanks y'all!!! @southernlady07 & @nackie I'm adding the suggestions to my registry after typing this. My BF recommended putting stuff that the baby would obviously need... but also items that I may need after giving birth and in the first month or so. 
    Me: 33 DH: 31 Baby: 9/2/2018 BabyFruit Ticker

• Favorite [pump]: The only pump I have used in the Medela Pump in Style Advanced
    • Link/picture:
    • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.): It was FREE through insurance. If you bought it out of pocket I think it's around $250
    • What you like about it: It was easy to use, simple to set up, worked well. You can either pump directly into the freezer bag or into a bottle that comes with the pump.
    • What you don't like about it, if anything: Pretty loud but I think most pumps are :)
    • Is there a [pump] you don't have but are considering? Why?: I have heard good things about the Spectra.
    • Is there a [pump] you've tried that you absolutely hate? Why?: -
    • Additional thoughts on [pump + accessories]?: One tip I wish I would have known the first time around is to measure ahead of time to insure you have a proper fit on the flanges. I had to buy a smaller set then what they come with and wish I had started off with the right size in the first place! https://blog.medelabreastfeedingus.com/2015/05/medela-breastshield-sizing-guide/

Me: 28, DH: 30 Married July 2014  DX: Severe MFI- 3 failed IUI's, IVF #1 Egg retrieval June 4th 2016, 5 day transfer- BFP Baby Boy! EDD 2/25/2017. Our sweet miracle Carter Bennett arrived 2/12/2017 6 lbs, 2 oz 19 inches. <3 Surprise BFP!!! Baby Girl due 10/1/2018.

• @smsaulino Mother's milk tea- it tastes disgusting but it really works. I didn't really drink it often but when my milk was first coming in it literally boosted my supply within an hour of drinking it.

Me: 28, DH: 30 Married July 2014  DX: Severe MFI- 3 failed IUI's, IVF #1 Egg retrieval June 4th 2016, 5 day transfer- BFP Baby Boy! EDD 2/25/2017. Our sweet miracle Carter Bennett arrived 2/12/2017 6 lbs, 2 oz 19 inches. <3 Surprise BFP!!! Baby Girl due 10/1/2018.

• Any recommendations on a mobile pump? Got medela pis with my first, want something battery operated and hands free for this next one. Was thinking on freemie standard independence mobile pump (insurance provided). Any thoughts?
  • +1 to the Bamboobies. I used them for a LONG time. I hated the disposable ones, they were super annoying to me. I just didn't like how they felt. A lot of days I just wore a nursing tank with the Bamboobies under whatever shirt I was wearing, mainly for some extra coverage even when I wasn't really leaking. The heart shaped ones are pretty inconspicuous under clothes. And I just always threw mine in with the regular laundry. I'm pretty sure they went through the regular dryer cycle too. I am not a special care laundry person, and they held up fine for me. I'm generally not concerned about killing bacteria if it's getting washed out well.

For supply, the best things - totally aside from supplements, which can be helpful, too - are usually plenty of time with baby at the breast (which isn't a variable you can always control, but don't skip nursing sessions for bottles whenever possible), plenty of calories, and plenty of water. I think true supply issues are rare, but sometimes we're dealing with life circumstances that mess with the natural mechanisms that keep supply sufficient. So try to not to stress over it and know that if you have trouble, you can try some relatively simple stuff and supplement with formula if you need to.
    2/13 Blighted ovum, D&C -- 6/13 MC -- 8/14 DD born -- 3/17 MC -- 9/18 DD2 born
    Expecting again -- EDD 7/27/20
  • I want to try the Haakaa suction pump this time while baby is still small and likely only nursing one side at a time at first to catch the let down on the opposite side. I’ve heard really good things from previous BMB lurking.  :)

I got some reusable nursing pads from Walmart that worked great. The Lansinoh disposables were ok but tended to bunch up on me a lot. 

I found I liked the Target brand and Lansinoh freezer bags the best because when laid flat they froze nice and thin and even. The Medela brand was more like a triangle shape even when froze laying flat, which makes storing annoying. They also hold less milk and leak more in my experience. 

Im also forcing DH to buy a chest freezer this time to share between BM and freezer meals!
  • I found I liked the Target brand and Lansinoh freezer bags the best because when laid flat they froze nice and thin and even. The Medela brand was more like a triangle shape even when froze laying flat, which makes storing annoying. They also hold less milk and leak more in my experience. 

Yes! Freezing flat was such a space saver. 4oz in a Lansinoh bag frozen flat was generally less than a half inch wide.
    MMC 8/5/15 at 8 weeks
    DS born 9/13/16
  • Side note:  I still have trouble getting used to the BM abbreviation meaning, "breastmilk," and I always think, "bowel movement," before I realise, oh yeah, the other kind of BM.

Apologies to anyone who really does keep their freezer meals next to their number twosies.  :D
    I literally just laughed out loud while reading this while also on a conference call. Thank you for the good laugh!! 
  • I second @EErin86 on the upright. It is so convenient. 
  • @Wishilivedinflorida We are getting an upright freezer for our garage from my Uncle and I'm ridiculously excited about it! We should have a freezer meal recipe thread in a few months.

•  @smsaulino I drank coconut water while BF and pumping. It really helped me with my supply. I ended up with a freezer full of BM with my first. Then we went on vacation and our freezer got left open somehow, and it all defrosted. That was a bad day. 
  •  @smsaulino I drank coconut water while BF and pumping. It really helped me with my supply. I ended up with a freezer full of BM with my first. Then we went on vacation and our freezer got left open somehow, and it all defrosted. That was a bad day. 
    OMG. That is worst nightmare territory.
    MMC 8/5/15 at 8 weeks
    DS born 9/13/16
  • @sarah-ruby-21 that is awful. I knocked over a bottle of milk I had just pumped while I was cleaning up and spilled all of it. I cried for a good 10 minutes. I can’t imagine my reaction to that. 
    But yes the coconut water seemed to help. Also just staying super hydrated was important.