June 2018 Moms
Options

Product Spotlight Series: Nursing Clothes and Bras

This is a place for FTMs to ask questions and S+TMs to share the wealth of knowledge they've accumulated on baby products. Each week we'll spotlight a new category of product to help streamline and make it easier to refer back. This week it's.... nursing clothes and bras

Please use the prompts below to try to share as much relevant info as you can in a format that is easy for those reading to absorb/respond to. If you'd like to recommend/ask questions about more than one product, please copy/paste the prompts as needed. 

For S+TMs: 

• Lifestyle/body factors that might influence your choice:
  • Favorite [nursing clothes/bras]:
  • Link/picture:
  • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.):
  • What you like about it:
  • What you don't like about it, if anything:
  • Is there a [nursing clothes/bras] you don't have but are considering? Why?:
  • Is there a [nursing clothes/bras] you've tried that you absolutely hate? Why?: 
  • Additional thoughts on [nursing clothes/bras]?:

For FTMs

• [nursing clothes/bras] you're interested in:
  • Link/picture:
  • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.):
  • Any questions about it/them for S+TMs?:

To view past Product Spotlights or view the upcoming schedule, see here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1gjNtxy2Kd2JceTYYR5wkwVcpTbU-khgazhjcZnfI1y4/edit?usp=sharing

(Also just a reminder that if anyone wants to revive old threads to ask questions as we get further along and it becomes more likely everyone is doing further research, please feel free!)

Re: Product Spotlight Series: Nursing Clothes and Bras

• Options
    Oooh! I have a question! Has anyone had experience with this type of pumping bra: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N4GALUZ/?coliid=I23ET75MATD8PX&colid=2BGAHGDOEYH6V&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
    I really like the idea of not having to switch bras entirely when pumping at work. This seems easier, but wondering if it's that big a deal in practice. Or can you just wear any pumping bra over a nursing bra that unclips?

Me: 30 | DH: 31
    Met: August 2006
    Married: July 2012
    TTC #1 since June 2016

***TW***

BFP: 7/12/16 | MC: 9/12/16
    BFP: 1/18/17 | MMC: 2/13/17
    BFP: 10/7/17 | EDD: 6/21/17

MTHFR: homozygous A1298C
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    For the small boob’d ladies, I loved the Cantaloop (spelling is wrong) nursing tank. Zero support, which was fine because even engorged, I didn’t really have boobs. But it’s got an empire waist and loose fitting look that was awesome for post partum fit weirdness. And the hooks were super easy to manage quickly. Watch Zulily for sales because I usually find them there a bit cheaper.
  • Options
    I just got some nursing nightgowns from Gap maternity, and a robe from Pink Blush. After my last csection, nightgowns were amazing. I can’t find the link, but the ones I ordered this time are cute and have a little lace. They work for maternity, so I’ve been wearing one, and it’s super comfy.

Never used pumping bras, even at work, and just made nursing bras work 
  • Options
    @icecubeinthedesert I had this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00P7FJM48/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm larger chested (36DDD) and don't feel like it provided great support.  Ultimately, I had no issue using the hands free bra that I just put right over my unclipped nursing bra.  

• Options
    Anyone in the 32DDD, 32DDDD category for nursing bras and can make recos? Doesn’t look like my rib cage is going to expand to 34, but my boobs keep on going (I’m already a 32DDD). 34 band size bras slip up over my boobs and provide zero support, and smaller cup 32s obv don’t work at all either. 
  • Options
    Because I am cheap, I made a "pumping bra" out of a $10 tankini top from Wal-Mart. I just cut holes where the nips would go and put it on right before pumping. Worked like a charm. 
    All of my nursing bras/camis came from Target. I looked, but did not see the ones I bought online, so they may not carry them anymore. 
  • Options
    @doxiemoxie212 As the baby gets higher, your ribs might expand. The "experts" recommend getting fitted around 36 weeks for a nursing bra.  I wouldn't invest yet in 32s, just in case.

• Options
    @marcus76 yeah, I'm still hopeful because 34 would be so much easier, but my osteopath said she didn't think my ribcage would expand any further given its structure (oddly the only part of my body without much flexibility, likely due to how long and narrow it is; the intercostal space between each rib is larger than it typically should be) so I'm nervous about finding anything. Most nursing bras either don't seem to have the sizes I'm looking for at all, or they do the XS, SM, M, L, etc., and the size guides are basically like welp, you are SOL. 
  • Options
    @doxiemoxie212 have you looked at the kindred bravely nursing bras? I haven't tried them, but they seem reasonable price wise and they say they are committed to helping you find the right size.  
  • Options
    I loved the Simple Wishes Pumping Bra (here).  It's adjustable and fits pretty much any size.  I would unclip my nursing bra and then put this over top.  If you're pumping multiple times a day (due to being a working mom or EP or whatever the reason) is SO much better when your hands are free to be on your phone, read a book, have a snack, or whatever.

As for nursing bras themselves, I went to Nordstrom.  I don't remember the brand name, but I got the best fit there (I think I ended up as a 36 or 38H when nursing DS2.  Pregnant I'm currently a 36DDD, and not pregnant I'm usually a 36D).

My favorite summer nursing outfit was to layer a stretchy tank top (from Target, Old Navy, Kohls, or whatever - they were usually still maternity tanks that fit) under a t-shirt.  When it was time to nurse I'd pull up the t-shirt and pull the neck of the tank top down over my boob and undo the nursing tank.  I felt most comfortable this way since my postpartum belly wasn't showing.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

First Son - born 2013
    Second Son - born 2014 - Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome (HLHS) and Double Outlet Right Ventricle (DORV).  First open heart surgery at 5 days old.  He's had 3 open heart surgeries and several other procedures and is currently doing amazing.
    Third Son - due June 9, 2018
  • Options
    jsl82jsl82 member
    @doxiemoxie212 have you tried a bra extender?  I'm on mobile so can't find a link, I'll try to edit with a link when I get to work.

AFM I'm a 36DDD and found the first bra @momac1919 recommended to be my favorites.  I don't like having the underwire when I'm nursing, as it pushes my already engorged breast up in order to feed. I sleep in the motherhood bras and have basically lived in them for the past 15 months. 
    me 35/ DH 39
    married 8/22/2015
    BFP#1- 4/2014 edd 1/1/15 mmc/d&c 6/2014
    BFP#2- 10/2015 edd- 6/29/2016 mmc/ d&c 12/2015
    BFP#3- 4/30/2016 DD1 12/27/16
    BFP#4- 9/26 edd 6/5/18

• Options
    @jsl82 I need a bra... descender? Is that a thing? 

@marcus7676 no, but from their size chart that looks like it might work! They have a "small busty" size that is supposed to fit 32 band sizes but up to H cup sizes!  <3
  • Options
    @doxiemoxie212 I've seen coupon codes for them all over the place, so google first. It's probably best to email them and see what they recommend before ordering too.  
  • Options
    +1 to @mytinc 's outfit of tank top or cami under a shirt. I do this while nursing any season. The 2nd layer can even act as a cover if it's loose enough.

As for nursing bras/ clothes I've never used them. I just pull my regular bra down and pop my boob out.

I tried one nursing bra and didn't love it and when I realized my regular bras worked just fine I stopped searching for nursing bras. (I'm sure I could find a nursing bra I like I just haven't found it necessary.)

I'm normally a size 36D (probably DD or more nursing) and as a SAHM I primarily nurse but occassionally pump.  (I have no experience with hands free pumping or pumping bras.)

• Options
    I just ordered this nightgown from Gap. I wore it for the first time last night. So frickin' comfy. It is exactly what I was looking for - buttons instead of the unsnap/pull down straps. I'm going to order a few more.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    FYI, Motherhood maternity is having an online flash sale with nursing bras starting at $8.
  • Options
    @pupsicle23 was just coming here to say that

• Options
    So, I've been struggling trying to find a nursing bra I liked.  with DD I had a sports bra version that I hated.  I just got these in the mail yesterday, and holy moly I love it.  Its super soft and the racer back isn't so high that it shows.  It is unlined, which I don't mind, but definitely feels secure!  I'm usually a 32DD pre preggo, and got a Medium. 
    Me: 28 | Husband: 39
    Married March 2016
    DD: born 7.22.16
    DS EDD: 6.23.18
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @sunshineandwhiskey those look so cute! Has your bra size changed with pregnancy? I’m a 32DDD right now...
  • Options
    @doxiemoxie212 So, according to the internet, and my own measuring, I'm a 32DDD too.  Which makes sense since my bands still fit but I'm totally spilling out of my 32DD cups.
    Married March 2016
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @sunshineandwhiskey amazing, into the target cart it goes lol
  • Options
    Just ordered that bralette too. 
    DD:3 | DS:1
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I won't order nursing bras until my milk comes in because from my experience, they're just going to get bigger once engorged.

First Son - born 2013
    Second Son - born 2014 - Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome (HLHS) and Double Outlet Right Ventricle (DORV).  First open heart surgery at 5 days old.  He's had 3 open heart surgeries and several other procedures and is currently doing amazing.
  • Options
    For me personally, my boobs didn’t get any bigger after my milk came in. But I was still nursing when I got pregnant with DS and this LO, so they never really got a chance to go down from my first pregnancy. 
  • Options
    @krashke Mine grew in pregnacy and then they just got firmer when the milk came in. 
  • Options
    krashke said:
    Dear god I hope these things don't get any bigger
    I mean, I'm ordering nursing bras now when they're on sale/will work as maternity bras because if my boobs get any bigger I'll literally be out of options for bras, so who cares lol 
  • Options
    I'm thinking I went up to an H when nursing DS2... I'm currently in a DDD... It's like they have a life of their own...

First Son - born 2013
  • Options
    dinodna3 said:
    @krashke Mine grew in pregnacy and then they just got firmer when the milk came in. 
    This. And after the first week or so the firmness settled. I didn’t have a problem just wearing the bras I had during pregnancy. 

@doxiemoxie212 @dinodna3 I hope it works for you ladies too! I ordered two more because I legit don’t have any bras that fit right now either. 
    Married March 2016
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Bumping this to ask - Anyone have fave nursing tanks that you don't need to wear another bra underneath? And would be comfortable wearing in front of other people (like parents/in-laws?) I want something that I can wear around the house but won't feel totally exposed when people are visiting. It's hard to tell online which ones are supportive or not. 
    DD born 6/21/2018
    DS born 9/24/2020