July 2018 Moms

Product Spotlight Week of 4/16: Formula Feeding and Accessories

SmashJamSmashJam member
edited April 2018 in July 2018 Moms
This is a place for FTMs to ask questions and S+TMs to share the wealth of knowledge they've accumulated on baby products. Each week we'll spotlight a new category of product to help streamline and make it easier to refer back. This week it's.... Formula and accessories! 

Please use the prompts below to try to share as much relevant info as you can in a format that is easy for those reading to absorb/respond to. If you'd like to recommend/ask questions about more than one product, please copy/paste the prompts as needed.  

For S+TMs: 
  • Favorite [formula/accessory:
  • Link/picture:
  • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.):
  • What you like about it:
  • What you don't like about it, if anything:
  • Is there a [formula/acessory] you don't have but are considering? Why?:
  • Is there a [formula/accessory] you've tried that you absolutely hate? Why?: 
  • Additional thoughts on [formula/accessory]:

For FTMs:
  • How often do you drive/do you want to use your carseat as a carrier: 
  • [formula/accessory] you're interested in:
  • Link/picture:
  • Any questions about it/them for S+TMs?:
Our past threads are here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1nhSR3UAwJx8UitC9b2hRx57c4hHkK6BU679FjqXMeHQ/edit?usp=sharing

Re: Product Spotlight Week of 4/16: Formula Feeding and Accessories

• Sorry for not following format: 

best thing: baby breezy formula maker! Basically kerieg for formula.
  • SmashJamSmashJam member
    edited April 2018
    • Favorite [formula/accessory: One of those formula portioning cups.
    • Link/picture:
    • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.): $5
    • What you like about it: You can put the exact amount of formula in each of the 3 compartments and just pour it into the bottle as needed.
    • Is there a [formula/accessory] you've tried that you absolutely hate? Why?: 
    • Additional thoughts on [formula/accessory]: DS took cold bottles right away, which I discovered when I realized I only had a bottle of water to mix his formula with while out an about. I would have bought a Baby Brezza but didn't need to because of this, so before buying you might wanna see if your kid will just take cold/not warm bottles straight out the gate. 
    • Side note: What did people whose children did NOT take cold bottles do when they were out and about? 

Another side note: I used Up and Up formula and had it delivered on subscription because there are no targets in my state. DS needed the rice formula due to spit up and they had one that was cheaper than the Enfamil by a lot (walmart brand doesn't have one). I read that while there was some arsenic found in the cheaper formulas, a lot of it was due to ingredients in which it naturally occurs, like rice, and other than that I am pretty sure all non specialty formulas are created equal so don't stress between Wal-Mart and Enfamil or Similac. Unless you are willing to splurge on Halle or Baby's Only or other organic formula's, or you have to buy a special formula, you pretty much get the same stuff. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Looking forward to seeing the responses! We plan to BF but also pump enough to supply bottles. Looking to hear yalls take on warmers and such. And also gain info Incase BF does not work out.
    • Favorite [formula/accessory: We BF/FF about 50/50 for 2-3 months then strictly FF fed, we used Similac Pro-Advance Non-GMO, for bottles we used Dr. Browns, and we used the Baby Brezza bottle cleaner/sanitizer 
    • Link/picture:
    • Similac Pro-Advance Non-GMO Infant Formula with Iron with 2-FL HMO for Immune Support Baby Formula Powder 232 ounces Single Tub
    • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.): not sure
    • What you like about it: DD did really well on this formula, no tummy troubles, fussiness, gas, anything. I liked the bottles and we are using the same kind with this baby. I felt like they stayed fresh better than others which got stinky quickly even with regular washing. The bottle cleaner was GREAT. You go through a ton of bottles in the beginning and it makes no sense to run the dishwasher that much, plus that would take way too long. This was easy to use and we had super clean bottles quickly. 
    • What you don't like about it, if anything: nothing but I was always concerned that this formula wasn't the best that's out there. DD's pediatrician always reassured me that it was a good choice and not to bother switching since DD was doing so well but I was never 100% convinced.
    • Is there a [formula/acessory] you don't have but are considering? Why?: I plan on BFing this time if it works out, if it doesn't and we FF I want to try some of the better European formulas like Holle. 
    • Is there a [formula/accessory] you've tried that you absolutely hate? Why?: no but we just stuck with what we tried the first time since it worked well. 
    • Additional thoughts on [formula/accessory]: Just that formula is not BAD and I feel sad for moms who torture themselves trying to BF because they think formula is some sort of poison. I assumed I'd BF but it didn't workout, my 2 year old DD is super healthy and happy and I am so glad I didn't miss out on enjoying being a new mom by torturing myself or feeling super guilty for FF. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
    • Favorite [formula/accessory: With both DS and DD, I BF/pumped and then we supplemented with formula when I stopped producing so much after going back work (props to moms who can pump at work. It was difficult for me.) I think both were around 4-6 months when we started supplementing. We used Similac Advance (with DD we changed to HEB formula), for bottles we use Avent Natural, Phillips warmer, OXO bottle brush.
    • Link/picture:
    • What you like about it: Both kids did really well with the Similac formula. We saw the HEB one day when they were out of Similac and gave it a try. DD did really well with it too, so we changed and saved 50%! They both took the Avent bottle okay. The OXO bottle brush is like our 3rd or 4th brush. By far the better one in my opinion. 
    • Is there a [formula/accessory] you've tried that you absolutely hate? Why?: I personally did not like the sponge brushes.
    • Additional thoughts on [formula/accessory]: Second @runsomewhere - FF is not bad. Fed is best. @SmashJam - My DD would NOT take a cold bottle. Absolutely refused. In fact she wanted it super hot. Hotter than the recommended temperature. So when we went out, we tried to time our outings with her feedings. Or know that we would be at a place where we could get hot water. I know some people who bought thermoses to keep hot water when they went out. They also make bottle warming flasks. I can't vouch for one because I have never used one.
  • We used Similac Advance which is like $30 every 10 days until I discovered Aldi had formula too (for DS). He did well on it, and I continued to use toddler formula after the kids turned 1. I mixed it with cow's milk and kinda thought of it like a multivitamin. They grew a ton in those months! 

We also used Philips Avent bottles and natural nipples since I BF for so long with both kids and they just seemed to prefer that nipple shape.

My DD would only take warmed milk so having to make bottles was always a huge pain for me. DS was ok with room temp milk so that was slightly easier.

We used Brita filtered water for formula, and regular dish soap to clean bottles. I like the bottle brushes with the sponge end and just replace it after a couple of months.

Isabella & Julian & and now #3!
  • Mobile so I apologize in advance for formatting..

We used Similac Pro from day 1 and Playtex Vent-Aire bottled and never had a problem with colic or gas..only what I consider a normal amount of spit-up. We will be doing the same with this baby. 

We also used the Avent formula dispenser which also worked great for snacks as he got older. We also use the boom grass drying rack which we loved but I’m eyeing up the oxo tot one that’s vertical and more space saving.
    Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Fed is definitely best, however you have to make it happen.  I have some medical issues that mean my supply is minimal-to-none. We used Enfamil with our first, because my MIL could often get us samples.  We would alternate that with the Target brand, because they were similar in composition.  With our second, he was lactose intolerant, which took a couple of agonizing months to figure out.  Again, went with Target brand soy formula.  Both boys would take a cold bottle; if you can get them to, it's a lifesaver.  Interestingly, both boys still insist on cold drinks--they won't drink water without ice in it.  ;)  

I also second the formula portion cups mentioned above--great for when you're out and about.  We've used both Dr. Brown's and Avent bottles, and had success with both.  
    Pregnancy Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker

~~Wife to one amazing man~~
    ~~Mama to 3 crazy boys~~
    ~~Wrangler of 2 cats~~
    • Favorite [formula/accessory: Earths Best 
    • Link/picture:
    • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.): $$-$$$ sometimes Target has good deals. 
    • What you like about it: Organic. DH wanted something of good quality once i stopped pumping. At the end i personally didn’t care as long as he was fed.
    • What you don't like about it, if anything: Can get expensive buying every week to 1.5 wks.
    • Is there a [formula/acessory] you don't have but are considering? Why?: not really. We’ll see how it goes with this one. Hope i can BF/pump longer. 
    • Is there a [formula/accessory] you've tried that you absolutely hate? Why?: not really. We pretty much worked out a system for trips and avoid carrying a bunch of stuff.
    • Additional thoughts on [formula/accessory]: You can prep bottles ahead of time but you have to keep them cold or take room temp water to mix later to avoid a cooler bag. They sell car bottle warmers if your little won’t take cold or room temp. 
  • edited April 2018
    • Favorite [formula/accessory: Enfamil Gentlease with Breastflow Bottles by The First Years (slow flow nipple that actually STOPS flow when LO stops suckling).
    • Link/picture: 
    • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.): Formula is pricey but purchasing the refill box of two is cheaper than buying the single box (learned that mistake after an embarrassingly long time!). Also, register with Enfamil and they will mail you coupons. Bottle aren't too pricey IMO.
    • What you like about it: Formula: DD started on formula since my milk didn't come in until day 5 and she didn't latch well until week 3. She spit up a LOT as a baby so as a FTM, I assumed she was lactose intolerant. We switched to Enfamils Soy-based formula and she ended up suuuuper constipated! After talking with a nurse at the peds office, they said most soy-based formulas will cause constipation. Enfamil Gentlease has one of the lowest lactose contents so we gave that a try and she spit up less and was MUCH less gassy. Bottles: they were recommended by a LC. Since we were breast feeding as well, I wanted something that wouldn't be a much higher flow than my breasts. Other bottles also caused DD to spit up or vomit bc the bottles never actually stopped flowing, even when she stopped suckling. These ones did so she was able to pace her own feedings. We still use both the formula and bottles and DD is almost 10 mo.
    • What you don't like about it, if anything: The bottles sometimes leak if they aren't put together just right. I've figured it out but DH still ends up with leaky bottles sometimes.
    • Is there a [formula/acessory] you don't have but are considering? Why?: No.
    • Is there a [formula/accessory] you've tried that you absolutely hate? Why?: Enfamils Soy-based formula. If your LO isn't actually lactose intolerant, it will only contribute to GI issues, mainly intense constipation.
    • Additional thoughts on [formula/accessory]: We would pre-fill bottles with a set amount of formula for night use or when we go out (still do). Then just add tap water in the bathroom when at home or have extra water along when out of the house. It's nice to remove a step (measuring formula) when a hungry baby is screaming at you. We also sent DD to daycare until I left my job so we ended up with about 18 bottles. We eventually just tossed them into the dishwasher bc hand washing takes SO LONG! In the beginning, I also boiled everything at least once a week but our dishwasher has a sterilize setting so it wasn't necessary. Also, if you change formula, don't make my mistake. Change gradually over a weeks time! This gives your baby's sensitive GI tract time to adjust. If not done, they end up constipated, gassy, and painful.
  • Loving the formula suggestions. Would you recommend i have a can of formula on hand should i not be able to produce much those first few days at home so I’ll have it ready to go to supplement? Also, what is the typical shelf life of formula? 
  • @And846 I received some samples in the mail just from creating registries. Otherwise the hospital has some on hand in case baby doesn't breastfeed, you can't, or decide not to. In my case, I brought some of those home since if the box was opened, they had to toss it. DH went out the next day and got more after we knew what DD liked and used in the hospital.
  • @And846 formula is usually good longer if it’s not opened. Once opened i think it’s one month they recommend to use. I always hand samples as back ups in case i ran out of our usual. Early on it’s pretty normal to have a few days of not having much supply and that’s why they account for that in the baby’s weight. I personally didn’t have an issue producing just had problems breastfeeding so i pumped for the first 5 months. I don’t think it’s a bad idea to have a back up but i would say to get small cans vs the big ones to avoid waste.