October 2018 Moms
Options

Dream gift for baby

Little insight
Over the weekend my MIL texted me asking if I had a dream gift for the baby what would it be? So she could buy it.. Since I have NO idea and DH is equally stumped as to what that could be I'm coming here to ask for thoughts, ideas, suggestions, anything!
I don't even know where to start honestly.. when someone says dream for my baby I don't think of anything physical and if I tell her that she won't accept it as an answer.. please help lol

Re: Dream gift for baby

• Options
    Is this your first baby? If so- go for the most beaucoup thing you want like the Bugaboo Fox stroller
  • Options
    Something expensive like a convertible car seat or fancy stroller, something you wouldn’t buy your self like a designer diaper bag, something practical like an amazon diaper subscription.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Maybe for her to set up a education fund for the baby? 
    Me 33 DH 41
    TTC since 2016
    Due: October 12, 2018

• Options
    Yes it is my first baby!! They're third grandbaby and they never asked anything like this with the other 2...
  • Options
    Not knowing your MIL hard to say how to answer. The big ticket items I’d choose for my baby are 529 contributions, a baby book of their first year (the legwork is the gift. You could upload photos to an app like cluster to share them only with family and she could pick from them and make a photo album), a special heirloom like a rocking chair, quilt or crib that was H’s as a child, or just something expensive you’ll need (fancy ass stroller, crib, convertible car seat).

I’d definitely gauge what reaction you’ll get from the parents of the first two grandkids before you ask, too. Maybe choose something in line with what she might’ve done for them, or if you’ve chosen something sentimental make sure to suggest that the other grandkids get a similar gift.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    A click connect stroller and car seat with a base for each car was by far the most useful thing, they can be 200 bucks or more, I'd say a must have!
  • Options
    Nursery furniture, glider or rocking chair, fancy diaper bag (some of the expensive ones are really nice and practical for long term use), stroller, car seats, setting up an educational fund!

A meal service delivery plan for a year or pre-cooked meals for after baby comes.

In home or nanny support for after baby is born to help you with the post partum period. Giving you time to focus on baby but still making sure some one is helping you around the house.
  • Options
    Yes college fund is an awesome gift. My IL's always contribute to DS for bday/christmas. 
    A beautiful stroller
    crib set
    Momaroo

DS 12/15/13

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I'd probably get a fancy stroller. If you're considering having 2 kids close together, Id get one that converts into a double (but only if said kids will be like 2 yrs apart). I'm not really big into spending a lot on nursery furniture though. They use it for such a short amount of time and it can get pretty beat up depending on the kid. 
    DS  12-1-2014
    DD 10-29-2016
    #3 due 10-13-2018
  • Options
    I second asking for a good stroller that could potentially convert if you’re having more kids. My first two are two years and 9 months apart so I didn’t need a double but with these two being 22 months apart, I’m thinking I may need a double. Ours doesn’t convert so I’m searching for one now. 
  • Options
    @norahkate Wow that is an awesome gift!! 

If she wasn’t in to the college fun idea and wanted a physical gift, I would probably choose the nursery furniture or the car seat & stroller combo. 

My MIL has already said our gift(s) will be the nursery furniture. I really appreciate it because that’s a huge gift and expense, but we haven’t even picked it out yet so now I feel like I have to watch what we spend which is kind of annoying. She also wanted us to pick it out this past weekend and I’m not ready yet (which is a story for a different day).
    Me:29 DH:30
    Married:10/2012
    TTC #1: 12/2017
  • Options
    If I could redo this choice I'd ask for an uppa baby vista and compatible carsear. It's a bomb stroller that is convertible into a double with a ride on board. It's expensive but can be a car seat stroller frame, a single, a double (car seat and or regular seats), and you can add a ride on board for the older kids. Comes with a bassinet for easy set down and stroll as well as a sleep rated space for baby for the early months. Basically if you are going to have another kid within 1-5 years, it could be the only stroller you need, and a good way to get 3 kids around if that's your plan!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Mine would be the Owlet so I could monitor baby while he/she sleeps.
  • Options
    I would choose a year of some meal kit delivery service in a heartbeat. We have been getting meals from Gobble (not sure if it’s available everywhere, but it’s a way easier version of Blue Apron or Hello Fresh) for years now, and I can’t tell you enough how convenient it is. I rarely spend more than 20 minutes on dinner, and the meals are really good (I’ve only disliked maybe two or three in 4 years) and portion sizes are pretty big. Huge time saver, and for me, that’s been a lifesaver. 
  • Options
    I would definitely choose either a meal service or housekeeping. Those early months in particular can be overwhelming. I'm expecting baby #5, and if anyone were to ask about a dream gift I'd go for one of those options. My kids will be going to 2 different schools this fall so anything to help me save time is worth its weight in gold!
  • Options

+1 for meal service. Or freezer dinners that you can throw in the crockpot.

My mom helped me do this 20 meals in 2 hours thing that someone from my O16 group shared and it was a lifesaver. They also have 30 in 3 hours or 40 in 4 hours but I don't have a deep freezer so I couldn't store that many. It includes a giant shopping list for all the meals and the recipes. That was a big project that I couldn't have done without my mom when I was 35 weeks pregnant!

E will be 18 on July 24th
    Z was born October 16, 2016
    #3 Due October 9, 2018

MC - November 29, 2012
    CP - November 15, 2014
    D&C for MMC - October 13, 2015

• Options
    Loving all these options!! I would definitely jump on the food option but because we're living with my parents who enjoy cooking thankfully I don't think a meal service would be good in this scenario.. I am starting to lean more towards the car seat and stroller option though!!
  • Options
    For me, personally, my NEED would be a new baby monitor with two cameras. Also, a toddler bed for my youngest since she'll be kicked out of her crib. With this being our third, these are really the only things we need. Unless it's a boy. Then I'll need boy clothes.

My WANT would be (another.....okay, a third) lillebaby. 
  • Options
    The years supply of diapers sounds like a win to me. My mom made one of those huge diaper cakes at my shower and those diapers lasted us the first couple of months. 

I second the uppa baby vista. We got it for DD (almost 4 now) and it’s like brand new still and will convert to hold both kids. 

Another good option is a nice video monitor. Or if she’s at all crafty then something homemade is always nice. My mom made DD a beautiful crocheted blanket with her name on it when she was born. 
    TTC History
    Me: 35 DH: 34
    Married 07/2012
    DD born 07/2014
    DD2 born 10/2018
    DS born 10/2022

IF history:
    TTC #2 since January 2016
    June-Aug 2017: 3 IUIs w/Clomid = BFN
    Sept 2017: Dx w/Endometriosis
    Oct 2017: IUI w/Letrozole = BFN
    Nov 2017: IUI w/Letrozole = BFN
    Dec 2017: pre-IVF testing
    Jan-Feb 2018: IVF--17 eggs retrieved, 13 fertilized, 9 frozen and 1 transferred on 2/10 = BFP on 2/19!!! EDD 10/29/2018
    FET Oct 2021: BFP on 10/31! MC at 5 weeks
    FET Feb 2022: BFP on 2/15! EDD 10/29/22