2nd Trimester

Papp-a results

Hello can someone help me understand this I moved Portugal and I don’t really understand the doctors. I went for these results last week and Went into to get pill for heart burn then she tell me I need meds for low papp-a! I’m like why didn’t you tell me this last week. 

I just don’t understand any of this

BetaHCG- 32.72 UI
PAPP-A -0.50
MomPAPPA-A 0.298

Nasal bone present
Fluid is 1.3 mm 

Tris21-1:33
1:70
1:490

Tris18 -1:771
1:267
1:848

Tris 13- 1:2429
1:193
1:3716

And at the end up each tris reading it say no risk 

Re: Papp-a results

• Hello can someone help me understand this I moved Portugal and I don’t really understand the doctors. I went for these results last week and Went into to get pill for heart burn then she tell me I need meds for low papp-a! I’m like why didn’t you tell me this last week. 

I just don’t understand any of this

BetaHCG- 32.72 UI
    PAPP-A -0.50
    MomPAPPA-A 0.298

Nasal bone present
    Fluid is 1.3 mm 

Tris21-1:33
    1:70
    1:490

Tris18 -1:771
    1:267
    1:848

Tris 13- 1:2429
    1:193
    1:3716

And at the end up each tris reading it say no risk 

According to the google:
    Pappalysin-1, also known as pregnancy-associated plasma protein A, is a proteinencoded by the PAPPA gene in humans. PAPPA is a secreted protease whose main substrate is insulin-like growth factor binding proteins. Pappalysin-1 is also used in screening tests for Down syndrome.[5][6] 

I would either find a doctor you can better understand or bring someone fluent in Portuguese to translate for you and ask the doctor to interpret the results.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • The Tris ones are the various trisomies, I believe. They are various genetic disorders, so no risk is a good thing! 

I don't know about the nasal bone for sure, but I do know the nose is one of the things looked at when determining Down syndrome risk, for what that's worth. 

Beta HCG is a hormone produced by the placenta. This is what a home pregnancy test detects to tell if you are pregnant. In early pregnancy, some women (particularly high risk, I was low risk and never had this happen) will get their blood drawn to look at the levels. In early pregnancy, it is supposed to increase rapidly. I'm a bit surprised they're looking at it, because my understanding is that it's not really looked at or used his late in pregnancy, but I'm not sure. 

Ditto, @meggyme. Are you able to ask your doctor to explain these terms? Sometimes, it seems like people just accept whatever someone says (in medicine and other things) and don't ask questions even if they're confused. If you can, ask the doctor to explain it. You're not a doctor, you won't look stupid for not knowing something! If you can't ask, definitely find someone to translate. 
  • Loading the player...
  • @lovesclimbing very high HCG for gestation can be an indicator of downs syndrome IIRC. 

It looks like this is the ultrascreen test or something similar.  It combines bloodwork and the measurement of the nuchal space of the neck to estimate risk for trisomy 13,18 and 21. 

If it says no risk for any trisomies at the end, I would take that as the final result but I'd definitely give my doctor a call to explain it all because this is really something that you should understand the results of.