December 2018 Moms
Options

AMA (Advanced Maternal Age) Check In! Week of 4.1

Hey AMA ladies! Let's get to know each other!

1. How far along are you and how old are you?

2. Is this your first pregnancy or are you a STM (or beyond)?

3. Is this your first AMA pregnancy? Any concerns or questions, if so?

4. What do you think is the best and worst part of being an older mama?

Re: AMA (Advanced Maternal Age) Check In! Week of 4.1

• Options
    4 weeks 2 days and I'm 37 (will be 38 at delivery.)

I'm a STM and have a daughter who just turned 2 in February.

I was 34 when pregnant with my first, but 35 by delivery, so they treated me as AMA. I was high risk anyway (I have an autoimmune disease) so I think I would've gotten all the extra ultrasounds regardless.

Well, after **TW two losses leading up to this I would say the increased risk of miscarriage is the most painful and difficult part. end TW** During pregnancy, I will say I love the extra ultrasounds! Any chance to check in on the little bean!

Post pregnancy, as a mom, I'm so much more mature and calm at this age (and as a wife, I'm so much better at communication during stressful periods, like the newborn stage.) Downside wise, as an older mom I am, so. tired. all. the. time. even when I'm not pregnant, haha. Oh, and the other tough part is, for me, and probably a lot of other mamas, the whole having babies timing coincides with difficult career timing. Like, I should be pushing for a better title and working overtime and pushing myself with my writing projects on the side, but it's difficult during the worst parts of pregnancy and I found it impossible during maternity leave to get anything done. But overall, I wouldn't trade the timing and I really like being AMA.

Anyway, looking forward to getting to know you other AMAers! :)
  • Options
    1. How far along are you and how old are you? I'm 5 weeks today! I'm 34, but will be 35 in June

2. Is this your first pregnancy or are you a STM (or beyond)? I'm a second time mom with a 2 1/2 year old

3. Is this your first AMA pregnancy? Any concerns or questions, if so? Yes, it is. I was trying to get pregnant before the cusp, but due to my dad passing away last year, it pushed off our trying

4. What do you think is the best and worst part of being an older mama? Best is feeling like I have all my ducks in a row and my husband and I have gotten a great amount of tolime together without kids. Worst is feeling like am I'm a senior citizen
    *Loss 8/2014*
    *Rainbow 8/2015*
    *Expected Rainbows 12/2018*
    *Loss of Twin 5/2018*

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks for starting this! 

1. How far along are you and how old are you? Turning 35 in a couple of weeks, and I am 4 weeks 6 days. 

2. First pregnancy or STM? I'm a second time mom with a 15 month old son, who has the squishiest cheeks you ever did see. 

3. Is this your first AMA pregnancy? Yes it is. Question - do you have more appts/ultrasounds/etc. due to AMA? And does anyone else wish they'd never read all the "risks over 35" stuff on the internet?

4. What do you think is the best and worst part of being an older mama? Best is having more confidence in my own ability to handle things, and in my relationship with my husband being long and strong enough that even though I know having 2 under 2 will be a handful we'll survive and be happy. Worsts are (1) feeling old wishing I wouldn't already be in my 50s when kiddos hit 20 and (2) the scary AMA increased risks.  

@maureenmce I agree completely on the career timing. I'm really not looking forward to telling my boss. 

@texas_t I'm so sorry for your loss. 
  • Options
    texas_ttexas_t member
    edited April 2018
    This post made reminded me I'm horrified to tell my boss about this
    *Loss 8/2014*
    *Rainbow 8/2015*
    *Loss of Twin 5/2018*

• Options
    1. How far along are you and how old are you? I am 4 weeks and 2 days, I am 35, will be 36 by due date

2. Is this your first pregnancy or are you a STM (or beyond)? I have 2 sons

3. Is this your first AMA pregnancy? Any concerns or questions, if so? This is my first AMA pregnancy. My only concerns are that risks are increased for the baby. I don't feel old. I feel like its common for babies at this age or older around where I'm at

4. What do you think is the best and worst part of being an older mama? Best part is feeling settled I think. I think you can feel that way when you are younger too. The worst part - just the worries about different medical odds as I age.

I am also worried to tell my boss. My boss is amazing, but she would probably have to cover for me when I'm out and it will be a lot of work on her. I feel a little guilty. I've not told anyone at work until 20 weeks for pregancies with ds1 & 2. I am hoping that I am able to fly under the radar until then again.
  • Options
    The app kept cutting me off last night, so what I was TRYING to say was "I'm horrified to tell my boss because we have a huge ERP rollout January 1."  I feel really bad, but it is what it is, right? I thought about coming back early part time, but I'm not going to commit to anything now.  He was a real trooper during my last pregnancy and was VERY accommodating. I'm going to wait until after our first US to tell him. Le sigh.
    *Loss 8/2014*
    *Rainbow 8/2015*
    *Loss of Twin 5/2018*

• Options
    @texas_t What's an ERP? Hopefully he's understanding, since you can't really predict exactly when you'll end up pregnant, despite our best efforts! 
  • Options
    @maureenmce Enterprise Resource Planning.  I'm in I.T. and we are overhauling our database management system and our accounting system.  I think he will be, it's more my guilt on leaving him to shoulder this himself!
    *Loss 8/2014*
    *Rainbow 8/2015*
    *Loss of Twin 5/2018*

• Options
    maureenmcemaureenmce member
    edited April 2018
    @texas_t Gotcha. Hopefully you can get as much done as possible before going on leave!  But I'm sure he'll get it. Good luck!

Luckily and unluckily for me, I work freelance, so I don't have to worry about a boss to disappoint, I just have to worry about getting hired again while pregnant when my current show wraps, and finding the perfect new show (or shows) that line up with my due date. I'm trying not to worry about that much until my job hunt starts again in May. But, of course, I do worry a little now anyway.
  • Options

I’m 38 and 5 weeks. Will be 39 by EDD.

Second. Daughter will be 3 in June. 

I was 35 with first, so this is my second. Although aside from having insurance cover my Harmony test, I never thought of my first as an AMA pregnancy. It wasn’t until, after trying for 10 months, and getting back some tests showing diminished egg reserve that I ever considered my age as a factor. That said, I have concerns about this pregnancy because of what happened at delivery and post delivery with first. I had mild preeclampsia at labor.  Failed to progress and baby was backward, very big, and had pooped in the bag. Had to have C section. Got Bell’s palsy a few days later (went away after a month) and hemorrhaging at 6 days pp. Very scared about rupturing with a VBAC, but want the opportunity to go into labor rather than a scheduled c-section. Also would like a gentle C section (delayed cord cutting, etc), but barely anyone does that in NYC (or so I’ve been told).

I barely see any drawbacks to being an older mother and think it is so much better than having children younger—I echo everything said above (greater financial security, career growth, experience, time with spouse, sown wild oats, etc.). I do see the drawbacks of being so old when my kids are in college. My husband is 5 years older so feels this worse than I do. I just hope it will keep me younger longer. 
  • Options

Hi everyone. Happy Tuesday! :)

1. How far along are you and how old are you? 4w6d. I'm 34 but I turn 35 on Friday

2. Is this your first pregnancy or are you a STM (or beyond)? I'm a STM, my daughter is 13 months old

3. Is this your first AMA pregnancy? Any concerns or questions, if so? This is my first AMA, but I was high risk with my first pregnancy due to a placenta issue, so I'm assuming this pregnancy will be treated similar to my last. I am purposely not googling AMA risks for my own sanity!

4. What do you think is the best and worst part of being an older mama? Similar to what everyone else has said, I think the best thing about being an older mom is that I'm more mature and have more perspective in general, and because of that I have more to offer my children. On the other hand, although I'm glad that my husband and I had so much time on our own (we were married for 6 years before we had baby #1), part of me sometimes feels like I missed out on becoming a mom sooner; like I could've been enjoying my children for longer, if that makes any sense.

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    1. How far along are you and how old are you? 4w 4d and 35 years old. 

2. Is this your first pregnancy or are you a STM (or beyond)? STM. One 4 year old crazy girl. She'll be 5 in August. 

3. Is this your first AMA pregnancy? Any concerns or questions, if so? This is my first. I was 30 when I had my daughter. Just a general concern that I'm old. 

4. What do you think is the best and worst part of being an older mama? I guess the worst part is when I calculate how old I'll be when she hits certain ages. When I was a kid, a couple of my friends had older mom's and I remember thinking ...man, she's old. Haha. I also have such little energy sometimes and my job is already draining as well. A positive is ,personally, I know I'm more mentally ready now than I was in my 20s. 
    BabyFetus Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    nolabelle10nolabelle10 member
    edited April 2018
    1. How far along are you and how old are you? I’m 5 weeks and two days and 42 years old. If this one sticks, I’ll be 43 by December. I think I’m the oldest one here, so far.

2. Is this your first pregnancy or are you a STM (or beyond)? I’m a STM and have an almost five year old. 

3. Is this your first AMA pregnancy? Any concerns or questions, if so?  I’ve been in this boat before but very worried about my egg quality. 

4. What do you think is the best and worst part of being an older mama?  I’m pretty far along in my career, so (if all progresses) this will be a shocker for all of my colleagues and my team. 
  • Options
    @gracie4400 I understand what you mean. I think sometimes I would have liked to have my kids earlier because it’s so awesome to have them. Then I remember all the super awesome kid free time I had where I could be much more selfish about what I wanted - career, trips, car that won’t hold 3 car seats, etc. I think I’m happy with how things have turned out :smile:
  • Options
    Yeah. Like, what the heck did I do before I had a kid? It's mind boggling  :D
    *Loss 8/2014*
    *Rainbow 8/2015*
    *Loss of Twin 5/2018*

• Options
    @activebaby that's a good point. I sometimes long for the days that I could do even simple things, like actually watch a whole TV show without getting interrupted or falling asleep!
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I agree. I spent half my 20s partying and sleeping and the other half married but in financial distress. 
    BabyFetus Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Hello! 

I am 38, will be just shy of my 39th birthday when LO arrives. 

I have 3 other kiddos - 8, 6, and 14mos. 

I was 29, 31, and then 37 with my prior pregnancies. 

Hardest part for me with the last one was the hip pain and heart burn. The last birth experience was a nightmare, so hoping for a healing experience this time around. 

Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    5 weeks 4 days and I'm 40. I'll be 41 at EDD

This is my first pregnancy. Ever. 

I'm pretty much nervous about everything.  Mostly the standard egg quality concerns and chromosomal problems.  I also have autoimmune thyroid issues to stay on top of. But,  I'm hopeful and so grateful to be pregnant. 

I've already covered the worst part.  The best part is that I really lived my life.  I learned to love myself first.  I have a stable career and built a strong support system.  Though,  I'm also sure my coworkers are going to be shocked. ♡

I'm excited to get to know all of you!
  • Options
    1. How far along are you and how old are you? 6 weeks today. I'll turn 39 a week before my due date.

2. Is this your first pregnancy or are you a STM (or beyond)? I have a 6yr old son

3. Is this your first AMA pregnancy? Any concerns or questions, if so? Yes, I was 32 when I had my son but was high risk due to a single artery umbilical cord. **TW.. I had a MMC 2yrs ago, so I that, my age & my weight make me high risk again** It would've been nice to have 1 non-high-risk pregnancy. But I had anterior placenta last time, so if I don't this time that will be awesome. I could barely feel any movement.

4. What do you think is the best and worst part of being an older mama? Best- knowing what to expect, Worst- worries. I was also about to go back to work. This might hinder that.
  • Options
    Question for you AMA ladies - I know we're supposed to start a new thread weekly (today!), but with only about half of the people for December here so far and not too much happening so far in terms of appointments/testing do we want to just keep this as the main AMA thread until more people join?  Maybe just chat here and add to this thread as often as we like and then start a new one in May and go weekly from there?

Or should we start a new one today? I'm up for whatever! 
  • Options
    We can just chat here. I don’t have strong feelings either way though. 
  • Options
    Just thinking now that we should probably start a new one so we can chat more and get to know each other better with new questions. I'll do that now. I'm just so terrible at GTKY questions lol. I'll try to be creative!