June 2018 Moms

Product Spotlight Series: Misc. Nursery Furniture w/o Feb 19

doxiemoxie212doxiemoxie212 member
edited February 2018 in June 2018 Moms

This is a place for FTMs to ask questions and S+TMs to share the wealth of knowledge they've accumulated on baby products. Each week we'll spotlight a new category of product to help streamline and make it easier to refer back. This week it's.... misc. nursery furniture! Changing tables, dressers, etc. Specific items or even just suggested brands/stores. 

(Note: DECOR IS UP NEXT, and we already had specific threads dedicated to gliders here and cribs here; feel free to revive those threads as needed.)

Please use the prompts below to try to share as much relevant info as you can in a format that is easy for those reading to absorb/respond to. If you'd like to recommend/ask questions about more than one product, please copy/paste the prompts as needed.  

For S+TMs: 

• Any lifestyle factors that could influence your picks:
  • Favorite [nursery furniture]:
  • Link/picture:
  • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.):
  • What you like about it:
  • What you don't like about it, if anything:
  • Is there a [nursery furniture] you don't have but are considering? Why?:
  • Is there a [nursery furniture] you've tried that you absolutely hate? Why?: 
  • Additional thoughts on [nursery furniture]?:

For FTMs

• [nursery furniture] you're interested in:
  • Link/picture:
  • Cost (either actual dollar amount, or just $, $$, $$$, etc.):
  • Any questions about it/them for S+TMs?:

To view past Product Spotlights or view the upcoming schedule, see here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1gjNtxy2Kd2JceTYYR5wkwVcpTbU-khgazhjcZnfI1y4/edit?usp=sharing

(Also just a reminder that if anyone wants to revive old threads to ask questions as we get further along and it becomes more likely everyone is doing further research, please feel free!)

Re: Product Spotlight Series: Misc. Nursery Furniture w/o Feb 19

• I have a couple..

Are crib mobiles worth it?  I plan to have the baby in our room for the first 3-6 mos in a bassinet before transitioning to the crib on a nighttime but doesn't mean she we won't sleep there sometimes during the day.  Plus who knows what will actually end up happening.  I'm wondering if by the time she will really be able to appreciate it I'll have to take it off?

Also, does anyone recommend the Keekaroo Peanut changer (or similar product) instead of the traditional tabletop change pad?  It seems like it's so much less hassle to clean/change sheets but it is a little pricey at $130.  Pic in spoiler.  

• Loading the player...
  • Couple Q's!

- We have hardwood flooring. I'm debating on getting a rug for under the crib and by the glider mostly. It'll likely be a light colour, which I know is 100% a risk. Worth the risk?

- are change tables necessary or would a change pad that we can just carry around {in house, in car, etc} better idea?
    If change pad is good, what should we be looking at for that? {cushy? wipe able obv, etc?}
  • @becca_123 - we have the keekaroo and I would recommend it to everyone.  Being able to wipe down / sanitize the pad (rather then worry about cleaning covers, etc. MOTN) was a life saver with the blowouts.  We also never had a mobile for DS and I'm not doing one this time around.  The only place that I thought one would be helpful was above the changing table.  Less distractions over the bed were better for us (we actually got DS a night cap that folded over his eyes so he couldn't see anything - - he was way too distracted at nap time and a mobile wouldn't have helped).  
  • @becca_123 We got a mobile for our son's room because I liked it and it is SO CUTE. This is another one of those things that varies by kid: My son is a good sleeper and was never distracted by it, but would smile and coo at it adorably when he woke up. We never used any of the lullaby functions on it or anything--it was just purely visual. Ultimately, though, I would never actually spend money on a mobile, because there's a good chance you're going to have to take it down. But if there's one you like, I'd put it your registry and see if you get it. :) That's what happened for us! 

We used a regular old cheap Summer Infant changing pad (https://a.co/0JZIKrZ), without any cover, so it can be wiped down. We had super cute covers for it in the beginning, but changing those got old reeeeal fast, so we ditched them. We put the cute covers back on now that my son is older, and is no longer having blowout diapers or peeing into the air every single time we change him.

@MissKittyDanger You can definitely get away without a changing table if you don't have the space. I did like the convenience of having the changing pad on top of the dresser, because you have a drawer full of essentials on hand, but you could also store those in a basket that's easily tote-able as well.
    Me: 34 
    Husband: 35
    Married: June 2007
    Son Max born 1/10/17
    BFP #2: 10/5/17; EDD: 6/11/18
  • @marcus7676 so you’d vote the skip hop changing over the bumbo? The mobile is in fact helpful you think? 

https://www.babylist.com/gp/skip-hop-wipe-clean-changing-pad/13878/22541
  • @MoonOverGoldsboro We've toyed with the idea of table top but we may not have a normal dresser for baby, we're looking at something in the closet that she can grow with. Plus I'm not 100% awake even if I have to pee in middle of night, I just think having to change her and if she gets rolly I'll just not be awake enough to be sure she's safe
  • @doxiemoxie212 The mobile actually looks like a weapon.  Is it removable? I wouldn't want that in the way of trying to change the baby.  Plus, how do you get the baby on the pad with it?  If I did a mobile, it would be well out of a reach.

• doxiemoxie212doxiemoxie212 member
    edited February 2018
    @marcus7676 ah ok, so mobile high high up is better lol, I have no idea. 

Update: watched the video, and I guess it is removable or folds down sort of? IDK 
  • @becca_123 Mobile eh probably not. Sound machine that can play music, or noise and or light up. Absolutely in my case. We got  Baby Einstein™ Sea Dreams Soother™ at a baby shower. My DS loved that thing and we kept it the entire time he was in the crib.

@MissKittyDanger the pad is necessary, but the table is not. We have a two story house so we have two changing pads, and one of the pads went on his dresser. the other was in our living room with diapers and wipes, and cream in the corner.

• @doxiemoxie212 The mobile actually looks like a weapon.  Is it removable? I wouldn't want that in the way of trying to change the baby.  Plus, how do you get the baby on the pad with it?  If I did a mobile, it would be well out of a reach.

For some reason this made me LOL. I concur that this looks pretty challenging to actually use.
    Me: 34 
    Husband: 35
    Married: June 2007
    Son Max born 1/10/17
    BFP #2: 10/5/17; EDD: 6/11/18
  • @misskitydanger Even before I read your post my comment was going to be DON'T get a light colored rug!!!!! We got a 100% wool light beige area rug for DS's nursery 3 years ago and it's been a PITA. Spit-up, dirt, vomit, and dirt from shoes and dog paws and knocked over houseplants have permanently stained it despite frequent vacumming and wool safe cleaners. (We are not a shoes-off indoors household and the dog loves to be in the nursery when we're playing or reading.)

.)

Patterns and medium to dark colors are your friend! I wouldn't go lighter than grey or tan. 

• We bought these disposable changing pad covers and put them on top of the fabric cover.  I would throw it out after a blow out or after a few days when it would get sorta crumpled up or grimey.  This way I never had to clean the fabric cover any more frequently than I would clean the sheets or be doing laundry anyways.

https://www.toysrus.com/buy/changing-pads-covers/babie-r-us-large-disposable-safari-changing-pads-12-pack-1928037h14-34755296
  • @misskittydanger and @llamamama14 I actually disagree - - we bought a mint green, tan, ivory and gray rug for DS (gigantic picture below that I can't seem to make smaller).   My cat threw up on it, DS vomited on it, I'm pretty sure we got poop on it, and we definitely spilled breast milk and formula on it, and it still looks brand new. I cleaned it for the new baby, but these colors masked everything.

• @llamamama14 @marcus7676 The one I'm thinking of - if they still have it - is a light grey. Ideally I'd like a marbled kind of idea {light & dark grey} and it's more for aesthetic purposes than anything.

@Xtabbikatx Is there a good pad you liked? We have hardwood if that makes a difference
  • @MissKittyDanger We have this 

Summer Infant Ultra Plush Solid Changing Pad Cover

The down side is you have to have the cover, because there I little holes in the plastic part that poop and pee gets into and you can't get out. We learned that the hard way. I think one that doesn't need a cover is better, but we didn't ever get one. If our cover was dirty we could throw a towel over it. 
  • @doxiemoxie212 I like the price point of the ones you listed better.  The Keekaroo just seemed so popular.

@marcus7676 Thanks for your input - glad to see you think it's worth it.  It doesn't really seem to have any flaws besides the price and even then by the time you buy sheets and protectors and do the laundry it does seem worth it.

@MoonOverGoldsboro I agree that they are adorable but I feel like that's the only value it woule have and they are so expensive that I can't justify it.  My mom/sister decided not to add a registry to the invites so I doubt I'd get one lol.  

@Xtabbikatx Now you mention it my friend's son loved a little glow worm thing for sleeping - no mobile.  

• llamamama14llamamama14 member
    edited February 2018
    @MissKittyDanger I think you'll be okay with grey and a pattern. We have wool rugs all over our house and the one in DS's room is the only one that's given us problems with stains. I think the issue has been it's very light and solid so the discolorations that remain after cleaning a spill aren't masked.
    Most of the discolorations on our problem rug would be much less noticeable on the one @marcus7676 has. 

This is the one we have that I regret. It's like a blank canvas...: (I put pics of the stains in the spoiler of my previous post). 

If you're thinking something like this you'd probably get better stain coverage:

We have these rugs in our house as well and we've had no stain issues (at least not ones that are terribly visible.):

• @becca_123 I would recommend a take-along mobile for the bassinet. The one I have both kids LOVED and I found that by the time I started putting them in their cribs (6-ish months) I had to take the mobile down.
    I recommend the Tiny Love Take Along mobile:
    Image result for tiny love take along mobile

It stays in place, but is easily movable when needed. It plays music at just the right level that baby could hear it, but it never kept me awake (and the bassinet was directly next to me.) 
    Ours was a hand-me-down, but I think these are only about $25.
    https://www.amazon.com/Tiny-Love-Mobile-Animal-Friends/dp/B003U6HCGQ

• @kfren Something like that might work well.  Most of the mobiles I've seen that I'd want on the crib seem so overpriced, that's why I was on the fence about it.  But that would work for the bassinet.  Thanks for the suggestion!
  • @LaceyBee522 I'm the one doing the Star Wars nursery.  Pottery Barn is where I have been looking for sheets but so far am only seeing them in twin not crib.  Also I showed my husband and he's obsessed but it cost my than our monthly mortgage payment.
    me 35/ DH 39
    married 8/22/2015
    BFP#1- 4/2014 edd 1/1/15 mmc/d&c 6/2014
    BFP#2- 10/2015 edd- 6/29/2016 mmc/ d&c 12/2015
    BFP#3- 4/30/2016 DD1 12/27/16
    BFP#4- 9/26 edd 6/5/18

• I know mobiles have been discussed at some length, but does the type of mobile matter? Like is it okay to get one to match the decor of the nursery or do babies only get something out of it if the colors are bright/it plays music, etc. 
    Me 30 Him 30
    Married
     August 2015
    DS born 5/23/2018
    TTC #2 July 2020

• Would this be an appropriate place to ask about swings?  Or is that a better question for "sleep surfaces" even though I'm sure a swing isn't technically supposed to be a "sleep surface" ;)
  • @taykc90 I think probably sleep surfaces, or I could add another category to the schedule called "baby gear" since we don't have that on the list.
  • buffalove1211buffalove1211 member
    edited March 2018
    @doxiemoxie212 @taykc90 Baby gear could cover all the swings, rockers, bouncers, and loungers.
  • @doxiemoxie212 @buffalove1211 I kind of like that idea if other people would find it useful.  I want to say in sleep surfaces we mainly discussed cribs, pack n plays, and bassinets but I haven’t looked at it for a bit so I could be wrong.  If I don’t see a baby gear added to the schedule in a few days I’ll post my question to sleep surfaces.  Thanks ladies!
  • @taykc90 I added baby gear to the schedule
  • Not sure if I picked the correct product thread, but it seems like the best fit. Has anyone used the Qdos furniture anchors before? 

https://www.qdossafety.com/safety/AntiTipKit

I was thinking it might make more sense for our rental apartment. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I've not seen that before @LaceyBee522 - but I'm interested!  We rearranged our kid's rooms when they went from crib to toddler bed and it was a pain removing the anchors and having holes in the wall, only to make new holes.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

First Son - born 2013
    Second Son - born 2014 - Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome (HLHS) and Double Outlet Right Ventricle (DORV).  First open heart surgery at 5 days old.  He's had 3 open heart surgeries and several other procedures and is currently doing amazing.
    Third Son - due June 9, 2018
  • @LaceyBee522 the professors we subletted from at Columbia University had those things attached to all their furniture all around the house. I don't know if it was easy to install, but it certainly made rearranging their furniture impossible. 
  • So! I've been thinking about this to put in the closet for LO since in the long term we want to build a closet that's more functional {think PAX wardrobe idea - maybe not ikea though} instead of having dressers. So we're trying to keep price low, since this won't be part of the closet investment we'll do later.
    We currently have 2 "night stands" {tad bit bigger but same idea} that we'll also use, so we'll prob start this small.

https://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/S49102653/

I know it's toy storage, but I figured right now onsies in varying sizes {which I can label with tape & pen} and later it could be tops and pants, etc but also have space to put something on top if needed {like separate bin for bigger sizes or changed out for weather}

Anyone else do this, or have maybe a different idea?
  • pupsicle23pupsicle23 member
    edited April 2018
    @MissKittyDanger with DD, I used only the closet and some of those cloth boxes/drawers from target. I kept those on the changing table shelf, and it worked great. I had a box for onesies, a box for pants and rompers, and a box for pjs. Anything fancier was hung up. We now use a TV stand that we got for free as her dresser, and clothes are still small enough that it works.
  • @pupsicle23 One of our cats likes to destroy cloth boxes, so that's unfortunately not an option for us. {yes, cat is weird lol}
    This is kind of a similar idea to those boxes, and we thought maybe using it later in another spot for her toys :)
  • @MissKittyDanger yeah, I think those would work great!