Babies on the Brain

Waiting Room Wednesday - 3/28

***General TW that this thread might contain discussions mentioning MC and loss.***

Welcome to Waiting Room Wednesday!

You can express your thoughts, feelings, and frustrations on not TTC and connect with others who are in the same boat. TTC can be a long journey, and having to wait makes it feel even longer -- even if it is for a good reason. I invite you to resurrect this thread at any point in the week if you have something to say. Treat this like an ongoing conversation.

Benched = involuntarily not NTNP/TTC and "out of the game," usually due to medical reasons

TTA = avoiding pregnancy by using protection or FAM, usually for non-health-related reasons __________________________________________________________________

When do you think you will start TTC?

What brings you to WRW?

Any R/R?

GTKY: Salty or sweet - What's your favorite snack?

Re: Waiting Room Wednesday - 3/28

• When do you think you will start TTC? May

What brings you to WRW? Waiting, waiting, waiting...

Any R/R? I’ve got to find me bbt. My nexplanon or “terminator chip” as DH calls it, comes out Friday and we’ll be TTA until our cruise. This will be a busy summer, as we’re also planning to switch DD to a big bed, potty train and do swim lessons this summer. And the weather is beautiful today, so I feel like all of this is right around the corner!

GTKY: Salty or sweet - What's your favorite snack? I have a sweet tooth during the day, but in the evenings I tend toward salty, like popcorn and pretzels.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • When do you think you will start TTC? July

What brings you to WRW? Holding off due to vacation and DH's work schedule

Any R/R? it's a short week - YAY!

GTKY: Salty or sweet - What's your favorite snack? sweet! Give me all the candy any time of day. But I do like chips too.
  • Loading the player...
  • When do you think you will start TTC? As soon as we get back from this trip, so April! My interview went well but found out the other day that I didn’t get the job. I’m bummed but at least now I know I’ll be working at my current job for at least another year, and I’m good with that!

What brings you to WRW? Waiting to find out about potential job changes and trying to work out timing for a potential due date to be during the second half of next school year if possible. 

Any R/R? This trip has overall been great - very relaxing and much needed! Bummed about not getting the job but getting over it!

Question for you ladies: Has anyone gone through the process of getting tested for Zika? We are on a trip in an area that is confirmed for Zika, and the CDC recommends waiting 6 months before TTC. 6 more months!! Wondering what the process is like for getting tested so we don’t need to wait as long.

GTKY: Salty or sweet - What's your favorite snack? Salty always! My favorite is probably popcorn.
  • @dogmomma271 that’s why I ultimately chose against the Caribbean for our big cruise vacay. I didn’t want to have to wait 6m. Idk about testing, but you could probably call your pcm or ob for info. They might have to send blood or something off to a lab. In the meantime, LOTS of bug spray! Enjoy the rest of your vacation.
  • @meggyme Yeah we came with family and they were the ones planning the trip! I knew that Zika was a concern but didn’t realize the recommendation was 6 whole months after exposure before trying. Hoping to get tested if possible, and I guess H needs to too. The odds are low so it seems like such a waste of time to wait 6 months just in case!
  • @dogmomma271 yeah, I think if you were the only one traveling it’s a 3m wait, but I guess it can live longer in men and be sexually transmitted.
  • kristah2kristah2 member
    edited March 2018
    @dogmomma271 this was a huge problem for us too when we were planning our trip. We did a lot of research over the last month. 
    My doctor told me to wait at least 3 months and use condoms during that time. 
    Although the chances of getting it are so slim the effects are SO major. 
    As for testing. If you tell them you are pregnant they will test you. 
    This issue is men. Zika can live in sperm for up to 6 months and there is no way to test the mans seamen to confirm. 
    So while you may be free and clear until you’re pregnant and have the baby tested there is no way to know for sure. 
    We ultimately decided it wasn’t worth the risk as having a child with a lifetime disability for a trip wasn’t worth it to us but to each their own. 

That said, many places are being removed from the Zika risk. Bahamas were recently removed which is why we ultimately decided to vacation there instead. 
  • Thanks ladies! I guess I’ll need to talk to my doctor to come up with a plan. Of course, I only go to my OBGYN once a year, and the one I saw last year is no longer covered by insurance, so I’ve got to find a new one. Do you all usually make an appointment to ask questions or are you able to just call your doctor and ask directly?
  • @dogmomma271 i’d call with a short list of questions about it and have them get back to me and see if they want you to come in for an additional consultation or testing.
  • *TW* Pregnancy mentioned:

so I got a bit of a surprise last week.. We stopped trying and hit the bench due to H's work schedule in 2019 and we booked a trip instead and said we would try again in July. One slip up last month and I got a BFP on Wednesday. I was in quite a bit of shock first but it is ultimately great news. 

I hope your stay on the bench is short and your time TTGP is even shorter. 

Thanks for all the support from BOTB the last few months!

• @kristah2 congrats!!! What a happy surprise! Have a happy and healthy pregnancy!
  • Hi- I'm new to this board, but I was around here 3 years ago or so. My history is in my siggy if you are interested.
    **TW Loss and Living child mentioned**

When do you think you will start TTC?
    I think July. We are waiting mostly b/c we'd like to avoid a newborn during flu season with a toddler. I'm almost 39, so we realize that what is going to happen will happen when it comes to conceiving a second.

What brings you to WRW?
    Every month, I get more and more anxious that we should be trying. Right now we are using condoms during the FW, but a few months ago we thought I had a positive test, but it was just one of those stupid blue dye tests with a terrible evaporation line.  

Any R/R?
    Nothing right now. 

GTKY: Salty or sweet - What's your favorite snack?
    Sweet for sure!
  • @kristah2 Congratulations!!!! FX for a very boring 9 months!
  • **lurker from TTGP**

@dogmomma271 We went to the Caribbean in September on a cruise.  One of us came back with a very high fever that lasted almost a week.  We had him tested (it came back negative) but DH and I still waited the 6 months just in case.  That was on the advice of our OB and pediatrician.  I'm sorry, I know it sucks.  FWIW, the pediatrician did say "you know that the people living in those countries aren't abiding 100% by these recommendations though". :/
  • Thanks everyone! I've been doing a lot of research and the island we went to in particular doesn't seem to have had a confirmed case in at least 15 months, so I'm hoping they're close to being taken off of the CDC's list. I just scheduled an appointment for my H and I to meet with an OB at the end of the month (the earliest they had) so that we can ask questions about Zika and the whole pregnancy process with their office since we've never done this before. Depending on how that goes, we may start TTC at the end of this month (4-5 weeks after our trip) or decide to delay it a little longer. I appreciate all the feedback!
  • @dogmama271

total lurker here (does WRW apply to those just waiting in general for no other reason than spacing? will be TTC in the late fall/winter), but we are taking a cruise to the Caribbean in the fall and I've looked into the testing. You can do a PCR, but has to be done within a few days of possible exposure and not fail proof. You can also do an IgM which tests for antibodies. It's a good test because it will tell you if you've ever been exposed- however a positive test may occur due to other viruses (although I think it's likely if you got a positive test you would probably be able to get the higher level testing). The plaque test is the gold standard as I'm reading, but you have to get special permission for that sort of thing as it's limited availability. 

You can purchase the PCR or the IgM without a traditional doctor's order (just buying it online and a remote doctor orders it). I've seen it available through pushealth.com and personalabs.com. Keep in mind that the test is pretty expensive this way (several hundred dollars to over a thousand). 

WORF: I did not come here to admire the scenery. 
    DAX: If you say so. I guess we should just go home. 
    WORF: Well maybe. I would not be so hasty. 
    DAX: I take it the scenery has improved? 
    WORF: A few months ago, when I was commanding the Defiant on a scouting mission in the Gamma Quadrant, we encountered a protostar cluster, a swirling mass of colour set against a background of glowing clouds and burning sky. It was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen, until now. 
    DAX: I've got to take you on vacation more often. 

• @par_mach_kai hey, wrw is for everyone with baby on the Brain and not started TTC yet, or even on pause for a bit.
  • @par_mach_kai Thanks for the info! And welcome! WRW applies to anyone - there doesn’t need to be any particular reason for waiting :smile: