Infertility
Options

Dealing with IVF & Fertility Related Grief

I've just come off my first failed transfer and have 2 failed IUI's under my belt as well. I'd love to hear others thoughts on dealing with IVF & Fertility related grief and what it is like, how to handle it, etc. beyond just the standard "It's difficult" that we all hear. 

I read the book Unsung Lullabies: Understanding and Coping with Infertility a while back, which helped me cope with letting go of a natural pregnancy being something that would ever happen for us and choosing to try IVF. Has anyone read it or any other good books that helped them- even indirectly related? I liked how the authors talk about each person struggling with infertility having to let go and grieve for the stories and fantasies they told themselves about what pregnancy and parenthood would be like for them. We all have these dreams without realizing it.

Also, how long did you decide to grieve before you decided to try again or go on to a next step? These are all just things I'm thinking about these days. Thank you. 

Re: Dealing with IVF & Fertility Related Grief

• Options
    prudence9-2prudence9-2 member
    edited April 2018
    ***TW****
    I had 5 failed IUIs, 4 failed FETs of PGS normal embryos (1 m/c, 1 cp and 2 bfn) 
    *** end TW***

I didn’t have the privilege to grieve as time is not on my side (I’m 42.5). So I jumped from one cycle to another with no breaks. What helps me usually is making plans for the next cycle and maybe making small tweaks in the protocol. 

Example for protocol tweaks:
    - tried adding neupogen in case it’s immune issues
    - did era to find exact window and found out I need 12 more hours of PIO. 

** edited to give example of protocol tweaks 
    TTC history in spoiler box:
    Me: 42, single
    Hysteroscopy: 2013
    IUI #1-2: 2013 BFN
    Surgery 10/2015: Planned to start trying again but had a surgery. (Not related to fertility)
    Surgery 5/2016: Planned to start trying again but had another surgery. (Not related to fertility)
    IUI  #3-5 (with Clomid): summer 2016 BFN
    IVF #1: 11/2016. 30R; 21M; 20F; 8B (6 day5 & 2 day6); 4 normal after PGS
    Medicated FET #1: 1/31/2017 transferred 1 embryo 3AA. BFP. Embryo stopped growing at 6w 1d. MUA at 9w 3d.
    Medicated FET #2June 2017 - cancelled...
    Hysteroscopy #2: June 2017
    Medicated FET #2: 8/7/2017 transferred 1 embryo 5BB. BFP. Ended in CP.
    Medicated FET #3: 10/11/2017 transferred 1 embryo 3AA. BFN
    ERA: December 2017 - need an extra 12 hours of PIO
    Medicated FET #4: 1/24/2018 transferred 1 embryo 4AA. BFN
    Out of embryos.  :'(
    IVF #2: 03/2018.

• Options
    edited April 2018
    it is so hard. I'm so sorry about your last cycle. For me, I remember getting our diagnosis, and just how painful that was. I really was not in a great place for a while there, but then we had months and months of testing and things like that to draw it out and give me a chance to wrap my head around in some way.  We didn't have the option of IUI available to us, so in a way, with our diagnosis, it felt pretty fatal. Like you were talking about, grieving that loss of your natural fertility as a couple, the chance to have a spontaneous pregnancy. It was a really tough thing to get through, and to be honest, took me to a pretty dark place for a while there.  But through lots of soul-searching, we were able to come to a place where we were ready to try IVF. That alone was like climbing a mountain.

****TW loss / IVF success****
    Our first CP was pretty devastating, but we were lucky enough to be able to just dive right into the next cycle. That really helped me to be able to move on quickly, even though of course it might not have been completely processed in my heart. At least we were moving forward and we were doing something. So while we never had any failed IUIs,

<div class="Spoiler">and were lucky enough to have our second transfer stick,</div>
    we still have no idea what will happen in the future when we are trying for siblings, so that is a daunting thought. We are trying to just hope for the best, and keep it in today. But I would be lying if I said I wasn't scared about how much more loss we may have to face in our subsequent transfers. [ ETA Even last night, when the subject came up, DH was pretty adamant that he didn't want to consider another retrieval.  And if so, then that's it.  The fate of the rest of our future family lies waiting in a freezer. :/ ]

I do think that failed transfers have a way of being extremely hard because we know how much is on the line. How much blood sweat and tears, how much money!  And we may have even more extenuating time factors going on as well.

I did a lot of praying about it, a lot of journaling, and a lot of really just leaning on women I knew that had been through it already. People that get it. I believe there is a title called, "Anchored in Hope," a book of daily devotionals for IF, 
    https://www.amazon.com/Anchored-Hope-devotionals-Ali-Forrest/dp/1519370075
    that I have heard good things about, as well.

Please know that if you are not alone, and we're here for you, no matter what.

*autocorrect  / TWs / ETA link
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm new to this stuff, just went to a bunch of doctor appointments to learn about my options.  Will likely start IVF in May.  Thank you for the book recommendation, I hadn't heard of "Unsung Lullabies" and I will definitely check it out.
  • Options
    I joined a local IF support group and just being able to talk to people going through the same things I was helped. We did treatment cycles back to back but ended up with almost a year between IUI and IVF due to moving across the country and the new clinic having a long wait list. I'm not sure how long I grieved for because it was clear I would have difficulties my first cycle off BCP so when we finally saw an RE and got diagnosed it was a relief to actually be doing something that could work.
  • Options
    First I'm sorry your struggling and that your last cycle didn't work. I've never read any books on this stuff. I knew I had issues before we even started trying to when we were ready to have kids I never bothered with the "let's try for a year bs then get help" and instead went to three different doctors to get it going. So going through all that I knew it wasn't going to be an easy road. Having a good man (or woman) definitely has helped. If I was married to someone who ever said to get over it or anything like that I wouldn't have turned out okay. I have no one IRL that understands my struggle. I talk to you all and my therapist sadly. After this past summer she urged me to wait at least 6 months after the last miscarriage to refocus and grieve before starting up again. I already accepted I would never get pregnant naturally years ago but when I randomly did I thought it was some gift from god. When it didn't work out I internalized it as I wasn't worthy enough to experience that natural exciting surprise pregnancy. Ovulate once in 8 years on my own definitely seemed like a miracle. Took a few steps back. Happened a second time the day before I was going to move forward with genetic testing and that's when I had to take a break. It crushed me. Spoke to our doctors and was told it would never work out. I stopped treatments but during that time I still got my testing out of the way. I think it's easy in a moment to read other people's stories and you see some have it worse then you and you see your blessings in that moment, but sometimes it's hard to see past the hell your in at that point in time. Believing in the future life I think keeps most of us going.  A lot of people have deeper faiths then I and I think that's how they cope but I really don't know. Hang in there...

Married: 5/09 ~ TTC Since: 10/10 ~ PCOS ~ Progesterone from 10/10 - 2/11 ~ HSG on 3/18 - Clear ~ Started Metformin 1000mg & Clomid 50mg 2/11 ~ Metformin upped to 1500mg 4/6 ~ 6/7 Now going to SG and put on Clomid, Ovidrel, Gonal F, Prometrium, Estrace ~ IUI #1 7/2 = BFP!!!!!! March 6th our little man was born. 

6/17/13 - Ovidrel, Follistim, Prometrium ~ IUI #1 7/2 = BFP! March 17th our St. Pattys day baby arrived

10/29/17 - Started process for IVF, got pregnant & miscarried a 2nd time since summer. 2/22 started stims - Menopur, Gonal F, Cetrotide - retrieval 3/6 - , PIO, estrace 3xday - FET 4/18 = Beta 1: 616; Beta 2: 1342 = BFP 

• Options
    This has been on my mind a lot lately too. I think everyone knows it's going to be hard not to have a baby as quickly as you'd like or to deal with losses, but I wasn't prepared for how attached I am to the idea of getting pregnant on our own and how hard it is to let go of that dream. I'm not sure I'm done grieving and getting over that. We're starting IVF in May and I'm confident my brain's going to spend all the time between now and then convincing me that there's going to be some last minute magic that saves me from all those injections. 
    I wish I knew what worked well and what doesn't, but for me it doesn't seem like there's any consistency. There are times I will think it's going to be a really tough month and it's not so bad, and other times I think I'm prepared for the disappointment and it still sneaks up on me. I think the biggest things I have found are:

1. Learning to be ok with whatever response I have. I have a tendency to beat myself up mentally when I let myself get my hopes up and I'm wrong, but I'm learning to just accept that it happens and it's ok, and it's actually easier when I don't fight myself about how I feel and just let myself be. 
    2. Learning not to plan my whole life as if I'm going to be pregnant soon. When I look back at the last three years, I mainly wish I hadn't talked myself out of signing up for fitness classes or races or working harder to find a new job, etc. because I'd hopefully be pregnant soon. I finally joined a roller derby league this past fall so at least I've got something to keep me busy and to remind me that there's more to life than getting pregnant. 
    3. Meditation. I'm so bad at keeping up with this, but I notice a huge difference with how well I manage my emotions when I do mediate vs. when I don't. I use the Calm app which has lots of great free meditations. I need to work on making this a habit!

I'm going to look into the books people have mentioned because they sound helpful. "Every Drunken Cheerleader, Why Not Me?" sounds EXACTLY like what goes on in my brain about all this half the time. lol
    Me: 32 DH: 33
    TTC since 05/2015
    Dx: Unexplained infertility
    **TW**
    BFP 10/14/16, MC 11/09/16
    IUI 12/06/17 - BFN
    IVF #1 05/18 - 11 retrieved, No Fertilization
    IVF #2 05/19 in Prague - 15 retrieved, 12 fertilized via ICSI, 9 blasts: 1 fresh transfer, 8 frozen. BFP - 1st beta: 43. 2nd beta: 57. 3rd beta: 88. 4th beta: 112. Bloodwork, ultrasounds and waiting until we figure out what's going on  :(
  • Options
    I honestly think I need to bite the bullet and see a therapist. There is one near me that my naturopath recommends but I've been so tapped out financially with everything else I'm doing (treatments, naturopath, acupuncture, chiropractor, massage) that I haven't contacted her. I haven't read any books or joined any groups due to the fact that I'm TFAS, so I'm in this awkward in-between. Like, I don't fit in with the fertile myrtles but I'm not fully accepted by the IF crowd either and feel a lot of guilt about being sad about my situation (you ladies have been great though). It's a really lonely place. I do find hope in other people's stories and try to seek out happy ending stories when I can. 

I've been TTC for 6 years with *TW 2 miscarriages */TW, 5 IUIs, 1 IVF cycle and two failed FETs. We haven't told any of our family that we're TTC, let alone about any of our treatments. They're all popping out babies on the first try anyway,  so it's not like they'd understand. I have had some family members ask if I'm OK because I have been withdrawn, so I guess I'm not hiding it all that well.

I'm not going to lie, I'm not doing that great emotionally. I'm angry, bitter, jealous, defeated, scared, riddled with anxiety....but it's not in my DNA to give up. I've never been able to walk away from any obstacle I've faced,  I'm too stubborn. It scares me that I may not have a choice this time,  but what does make me feel better is to have a plan. Since Nov 2016, I've only taken the one cycle off after my D&C. It makes me more anxious to take a break. I need to be marching forward or I start to spiral. I've jumped right back into treatments/TTC the cycle after every failure and each loss. I'm always planning my next few cycles before I even know if I'll need them. I don't think I'll ever get to a place where my grief has been dealt with - it will always be with me and living with it will be a constant process.

I think a good guide is to really listen to your gut and know yourself. I know that it's worse for me to have time off, but for someone else,  that's exactly what they might need. I have a coworker who had a failed transfer in August and she didn't feel ready again for a FET until the next January. It's OK to need/want a break and take one. It doesn't mean you are any less strong. It means you're smart and taking care of yourself and giving your heart and mind what they need to continue to fight this fight.
    Me: 35 I DH: 38
    *TW loss and children mentioned*
    DD:2006 | Dx: Unexplained Secondary Infertility | DS: 2011

TFAS since 2012

Oct 16: Spontaneous BFP | m/c @ 9w1d (massive SCH) | D&C
    Apr 17: IUI #1 = BFN
    May 17: IUI #2 = BFN
    Jun 17: IUI #3 = Late BFP (18 DPO) | NMC 17Jul17 @ ~6w
    Aug 17: IUI #4 = Cancelled due to premature ovulation | TI = BFN
    Sep 17: IUI #5 = Cancelled due to overstimulation (10+ follies)
    Nov 17: IVF #1 = Cancelled due to non-IF related health issue | TI = BFN
    Dec 17: IVF #1 = Puregon 200, Menopur 75, Orgalutran, Suprefact trigger due to OHSS risk | 22R, 18M, 16F, 10B frozen  
    Feb 18: FET #1 (medicated) = BFN
    Mar 18: FET #2 (natural cycle) = CP (beta 1: 54; beta 2: 0)
    Apr 18: FET #3 (natural cycle) = cancelled due to missed ovulation
    Apr 18: FET #3 (natural cycle) = BFP! Beta 1: 201  Beta 2: 585 Beta 3: 3254 Beta 4: 9715 U/S 19May - one bean measuring on track with a HB of 125!
    EDD: 07Jan2019 Team Green
    My Rainbow Baby Boy born 03Jan2019 <3 

• Options
    tosh24  do it! I swear by mine. Sometimes it's hard to find a good one you love but when you do it offers comfort for sure and some ways to push forward. 

Married: 5/09 ~ TTC Since: 10/10 ~ PCOS ~ Progesterone from 10/10 - 2/11 ~ HSG on 3/18 - Clear ~ Started Metformin 1000mg & Clomid 50mg 2/11 ~ Metformin upped to 1500mg 4/6 ~ 6/7 Now going to SG and put on Clomid, Ovidrel, Gonal F, Prometrium, Estrace ~ IUI #1 7/2 = BFP!!!!!! March 6th our little man was born. 

6/17/13 - Ovidrel, Follistim, Prometrium ~ IUI #1 7/2 = BFP! March 17th our St. Pattys day baby arrived

10/29/17 - Started process for IVF, got pregnant & miscarried a 2nd time since summer. 2/22 started stims - Menopur, Gonal F, Cetrotide - retrieval 3/6 - , PIO, estrace 3xday - FET 4/18 = Beta 1: 616; Beta 2: 1342 = BFP 

• Options
    @greenhillgirl I'm so sorry you're going through this.  I remember how devastated I was when our first transfer failed.  I mean, I basically had a nervous breakdown when our first IUI failed, but this was so much worse because we'd invested so much more time, money, pain, and emotional energy into it.  So I understand what you must be going through.  

*TW -- CPs mentioned*
    Since then, we've done two more FETs, both of which resulted in CPs.  After the first, I wondered how I could ever do another transfer again because you have to get through so much just for the "privilege" of having a loss.  With the second one, I went into a deep depression (refusing to eat, refusing to move from the couch, watching sad movies, so. much. crying.) that luckily lasted just the weekend, although I spent the next two weeks periodically bursting into tears.  When I started crying over something stupid at work, I knew it was time to call a therapist (I'd been seeing her for a year up until the fall in a group setting, but there weren't enough people to sustain the group, so I hadn't seen her in almost 6 months).  The worst thing has been the loss of hope; now I can't even be happy when I get a good beta number or a strong HPT because that happened the second time and it was all snatched away two days later.  How strange it is to go from never seeing a positive test until November to not even being able to be happy when I see one.  

I cannot tell you how helpful it has been to see a therapist one-on-one who specializes in infertility.  I highly recommend it.  One thing we've talked about is my feeling that IF has taken so much more away from us than hope and time; we've also neglected friendships out of a fear that someone's going to drop the pregnancy card on us.  She's encouraged me to, essentially, suck it up and reach out because sometimes hiding to protect your heart actually makes you hurt more.  

My therapist says that however you're reacting now (even if it's the lowest you've ever been in your entire life) is not necessarily the way you will react the next time it happens (if, God-forbid) you have another failed transfer.  There are so many environmental, emotional, and hormonal factors that dictate your response.  That didn't necessarily make me feel a ton better, although it can be helpful to know that you won't always be wallowing on the couch (if you're me).  In the case of a loss, she also said that in their next cycle, most people tend to be very nervous right up until the point when they previously suffered a loss and then things get better.  (That doesn't really help you deal with your situation now, but it might help quell any fears that you'll be a nervous wreck for your entire pregnancy.)

In terms of time off, personally I've found that a one cycle break is all that I need but inevitably I end up missing 2-3 cycles because of additional testing or life getting in the way.  I hate the waiting, but it does actually help my nerves and I get more excited as it gets closer to a transfer (rather than dreading a transfer for the potential bad news it might bring).

For books, I also read "The Art of Waiting" about a year ago and liked it very much at the time.  I will warn you that she does finally get KU from an IVF cycle and talks about how she knew well before the beta, which just means that every cycle I SS like a crazy person.  So that was really not helpful.  Personally, I now have a hard time hearing even IF success stories if they don't take multiple IVF cycles and lots of heartache.  I hate that I've become that person, but it's hard to control.  So take an honest look at yourself and what "triggers" or upsets you in terms of the kinds of things you can read about.  I mostly avoid reading anything now because either the author finally gets KU or they moved on to adoption, surrogacy, etc., and neither is helpful to me.  However, the "Unsung Lullabies" book you mentioned sounds very relevant to me, so I might look into that.    

Sorry, that's very long, but hopefully somewhat helpful!

• Options
    sarah_fox I agree that while you are waiting for IVF you will still be holding out hope. The very last period I had before starting IVF I was like "Wouldn't it be great if just at this time I spontaneously..." each thing like that was a little loss but also moved me closer to full acceptance that it wouldn't happen.
  • Options
    greenhillgirlgreenhillgirl member
    edited April 2018
    I agree with @mcgeeva that a therapist is great and wish so many more people had the privilege of being in therapy @ tosh24  I have made sacrifices to continue seeing the same person for over 10 years and she's amazing since I suffer from major chemical depression that is very hormonal and genetic. She doesn't specialize in infertility, though, so I can definitely tell sometimes she doesn't get it as much as I would like. But she knows me and how I cope and deal so she's great for me to feel like I'm taking care of myself as much as I can.