September 2018 Moms

Deals, Steals, and Freebies

Re: Deals, Steals, and Freebies

• So with Babies r Us closing, where are you all planning to register?! I'm of course registering on Amazon, but want a second list a brick and mortar store. I have older relatives who won't want to order online. I'm thinking Target for my second registry list.

I'm also annoyed about the BRU closing because that's the best places to look at all the equipment in person. MH and I have so much other stuff going on right now that we're not ready to focus on a making a registry. Maybe we will have to get our butts in a BRU store and start looking. 

• @jaylii - It's a little different for me since this is our 2nd so I'm not expecting to hand out registry information to people, but I'll sign up at Amazon and Target. I think Target is a good option for a brick & mortar location because at least the Targets around us they have a good sized baby department so older guests should be able to find something there.

There's BuyBuyBaby too, but they don't have as many locations. I know the closest one to me is over 2 hours away. I was hoping they might try to expand into some of the closing BRU locations since it's not like there's a lot of specialty baby stores around.
    _______________________________________________________________________________________________
    MMC 8/5/15 at 8 weeks
    DS born 9/13/16
    BFP 1/13/18 - EDD 9/20/18 - It's a boy!
  • Loading the player...
  • @jaylii I am doing amazon and then Target for the same reason, I have some family who will not shop online. I want to make a trip to BRU too because there are some things I want to actually touch and see in person before registering. My mom is coming in 3 weeks so I am praying the one closest to us is still open and has stuff by then.
  • @jaylii I have a Babylist one and a Target one. And an Amazon one no one knows about just so I can get that box, haha. 
  • I’m registered at Amazon for the welcome box and diaper discount and buy buy baby for furniture. Last time I did target too in case anyone wanted an easy to get to brick and mortar store, but 99% of people just went with amazon. 

• @SkilledSailor One of the big reasons I'm doing an Amazon registry is that I know it will save a lot of family/friends shipping costs since many have Amazon prime. 
  • I did Amazon and Buy Buy Baby last time (we have a good one near us and people love the 20% off coupons). This time I’ll probably just do Amazon for a few small things, and only if people ask for it.
  • Amazon and target are my go to places! You can actually add other items not on amazon to your registry FYI and it’ll direct the person to the specific place.

Pottery Barn Kids can sometimes be popular as well as Walmart honestly.
  • With our first, I registered at Amazon and Target to have a brick & mortar option, and I also registered at BRU for the completion discount but didn't give anyone that info. They had sheets for the crib and PNP that I liked or something, I can't remember. If there's a business that you plan to buy something from, it can be worth it to set up a registry and just keep it private.

I'm really hoping they do some big discounts at TRU/BRU. I've been debating whether to get another convertible seat or a combination seat or what, because I don't think my daughter will be *quite* ready for a booster when the new LO moves out of the bucket seat. We've got some time, but if I could get a great deal I'll go ahead and buy something now.
    2/13 Blighted ovum, D&C -- 6/13 MC -- 8/14 DD born -- 3/17 MC -- 9/18 DD2 born
    Expecting again -- EDD 7/27/20
  • I'm so sad we don't have Target in Canada anymore. I'll probably go with Amazon. Any other Canadian bumpies have other suggestions?
    Me: 34 | DH: 33
    Married Aug. 2013
    TTC #1 Sep. 2016
    ***TW***
    BFP Jan. 15, 2017; MMC Mar. 4, 2017 at 10w6d
    BFP Jun. 5, 2017; MMC Aug. 2, 2017 at 11w6d
    BFP Nov. 20, 2017; ended in CP
    All the tests. Everything normal except treated for ureaplasma and DH potentially has high DNAF.
    BFP Dec. 25, 2017; EDD Sep. 5, 2018; DD arrived Aug. 26th
    My chart: https://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/63f71d

• @adirat We had it for a few years, but they had major issues with store openings and inventory. They went out of business (I know, shocking!) fairly quickly.
    Me: 34 | DH: 33
    Married Aug. 2013
    TTC #1 Sep. 2016
    ***TW***
    BFP Jan. 15, 2017; MMC Mar. 4, 2017 at 10w6d
    BFP Jun. 5, 2017; MMC Aug. 2, 2017 at 11w6d
    BFP Nov. 20, 2017; ended in CP
    All the tests. Everything normal except treated for ureaplasma and DH potentially has high DNAF.
    BFP Dec. 25, 2017; EDD Sep. 5, 2018; DD arrived Aug. 26th
    My chart: https://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/63f71d

• SdeuxSdeux member
    I’m still devestated about losing Target in Canada. I hop across the Buffalo border to get a quick fix every now and then. 
    This is our second so I’m not really registering. We did BRU the first time. So far we aren’t losing our TRU/BRU. 
    I’ve been ordering a few things from West Coast Kids, Snugglebugz and Amazon. And buying some gently used items on Kijiji and Local Facebook Moms/ Buy & Sell Groups. There’s also several specialty baby/kids stores in our general vicinity I plan on going to as well. 

• @Wishilivedinflorida Please let us know how it is when you get it! I wanna know if I should pull the trigger soon.

• My Amazon welcome box is out of stock (as of 3/19) ugh.

Also, trying Le Tote Maternity today. I like the fact that I get 4 maternity items 2xs a month for $79. I don't really want to buy maternity clothes this time around. I'd rather rent and get new stuff every month. I'll let you know if I like it. 
  • I'm in the States but as far as I know TRU/BRU in Canada is owned by a different group and there are no plans to shut them down. Same with Europe and Asia.
    _______________________________________________________________________________________________
    MMC 8/5/15 at 8 weeks
    DS born 9/13/16
  • edited March 2018
    Jealous of our Canadian friends @DanyTargaryen! I’m so sad TRU is closing. It’s nostalgic for me (I remember going there for special occasions when I was a kid, or to spend birthday money). I’m sad my kids won’t get that experience. Target and Walmart just don’t compare. 
  • Chicco is on Zulily today!
    Me: 32   DH: 32
    BFP #1: 1/23/2012  DD: Born 9/20/2012  <3
    BFP #2: 12/30/2017  DS: Due 9/10/2018  <3

• Maternity clothes - 

Gap is having a pretty good sale today with free shipping over $50 and free returns. Use the code GOBIG at checkout for an additional 20% off!

Clothes Mentor, is a national consignment store and they carry maternity clothing. Yesterday I purchased a like new motherhood work blouse for $8 and a pair of denim Thyme shorts for $12.
  • @jhjocelyn introduced me to the Baby Bargains book today. I ordered the paper copy, but it also let me start reading on kindle and they have a freebies section on their website. Www.babybargains.com/freebies 
  • @ellbeedee That's an amazing deal! Good find.

I checked our TRU today to see what deals they had on baby gear. It was a big 10% off. Whomp whomp.

I did get to push around a couple of strollers and see how easy they were to fold up. That was the best thing about TRU, being able to check out stuff in person. Target has some of the car seats in store but most of their stuff is online. Amazon is obviously all online. I don't know what Walmart has in store... Strollers in particular are nice to handle before purchasing.
    2/13 Blighted ovum, D&C -- 6/13 MC -- 8/14 DD born -- 3/17 MC -- 9/18 DD2 born
    Expecting again -- EDD 7/27/20
  • DanyTargaryenDanyTargaryen member
    edited March 2018
    I did get to push around a couple of strollers and see how easy they were to fold up. That was the best thing about TRU, being able to check out stuff in person. Target has some of the car seats in store but most of their stuff is online. Amazon is obviously all online. I don't know what Walmart has in store... Strollers in particular are nice to handle before purchasing.
    This is what sucks most about them closing - being able to try out baby gear in person before deciding. Especially something like a stroller. Our BRU always has customers there when I go. It seems like TRU is what's going down and BRU is just getting dragged with it because they're the same company.

ETA: We don't have the combo stores around me. They're all stand-alone TRU or BRU.
    MMC 8/5/15 at 8 weeks
    DS born 9/13/16
  • FUI - I just went on BRU's website this morning and they've "shut down the website for purchases. In store sales only until stores close. 
  • jaylii said:
    FUI - I just went on BRU's website this morning and they've "shut down the website for purchases. In store sales only until stores close. 
    This just makes me so sad. My kids will never get to experience a big giant toy store now. It was such a treat to go to TRU as a kid and pick out a toy or a bike or whatever. Our best options in my town are now Walmart and target, which both pale in comparison. 
  • @Wishilivedinflorida Do you have any local toy stores near you? It won't be as big, but it's definitely more satisfying and more like the TRU experience since it's a whole store floor to ceiling with toys.

• @adirat Not really. Just the big box chain stores. Such a bummer. 
  • @spottedginger - 70% is awesome!

I'm headed there this weekend with a crib and 2-camera video monitor in mind. I feel like my store will either be picked over already or they still won't be doing anything over 10-20% off.
    MMC 8/5/15 at 8 weeks
    DS born 9/13/16
  • @DanyTargaryen I called ahead and ours was only down to 10%. I still might pass through next time I’m nearby in case the display models or something are marked down extra. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

bfp#1-10/29/12,EDD: 7/3/13. nothing found @ 1st u/s, natural mc 12/10/12. "Bean"

bfp#2-5/10/13! EDD: 1/18/14. "Peanut" Arrived 1/13/14. Diagnosed with Cystic Fibrosis

bfp#3- 9/26/14. EDD: 5/7/15. no heartbeat found @ 1st u/s, natural mc 10/23/14. "Little Bug"

**Psalm 139:16**

• jhjocelyn said:
    @DanyTargaryen I called ahead and ours was only down to 10%. I still might pass through next time I’m nearby in case the display models or something are marked down extra. 
    Oh, I'd be ok with a display model crib assuming it was in good shape since I could just clean it!! I'll have to ask if they're still there since they did have the one I want on display last time I was in the store. If they don't have any new ones in stock anyway.

Really I'd be happy with 20% the stuff I want. It's things I need so 20% is better than paying full price!
    MMC 8/5/15 at 8 weeks
    DS born 9/13/16
  • Overall, better than my last box. I got:
    -muslin swaddle
    -gender neutral onesie (3-6m)
    -seventh generation sampler pack with a bunch of stuff 
    -avent 4 ounce bottle
    -honest body wash and lotion samples
    -avent nursing pads
    -Dreft samples 
    -two size 1 Huggies snugglers
    -other small soap/lotion samples 
    My Amazon Welcome Box arrived late last week. I got the same stuff as above so I was pretty pleased!!
    MMC 8/5/15 at 8 weeks
    DS born 9/13/16
  • @DanyTargaryen definitely call ahead. The two BRU in our area had their last day on Saturday. The real discounts were all in the last week. The TRU is still open for now with only 10% discounts. 
  • @DanyTargaryen definitely call ahead. The two BRU in our area had their last day on Saturday. The real discounts were all in the last week. The TRU is still open for now with only 10% discounts. 
    I have/had 4 BRU within a half hour and 3 were in the first wave of store closings. I believe those 3 went this weekend, but the last one still shows up on the store locator so I'm hopeful they'll still be there this weekend.

Good call to call ahead though. I really wouldn't have thought to do so and even a half hour drive would suck if they're already closed!!
    MMC 8/5/15 at 8 weeks
    DS born 9/13/16