September 2018 Moms

The Easter Bunny, Santa Claus and The Tooth Fairy walk into a bar...

stothistothi member
edited April 2018 in September 2018 Moms
But seriously, all joking aside, how do you all plan to deal with fun magical awesome but ultimately made up people and creatures like the Easter Bunny, Santa, Tooth Fairy, ect?
I want my children to have happy childhoods where holidays are magical and exciting and all that, but I don't want to lie. What do you do, plan to do, or have seen others do, to walk the line to let the kids be kids but not betray their trust?

Re: The Easter Bunny, Santa Claus and The Tooth Fairy walk into a bar...

• I remember finding out the truth as a child and being so upset and feeling betrayed and stupid. DH grew up not believing because his parents were very conservative (like no pictures with Santa or Santa decorations). He didn’t mind but honestly thought they were very extreme. 

We lay somewhere in between. Our kids will learn that Santa and the Easter Bunny are pretend characters that are part of the season and represent fun and the spirit of giving. DS had pictures with Santa done last Christmas and we certainly won’t restrict the kids from participating in the fun, but they will know the truth from the beginning. Furthermore, we will teach them that some other kids will believe these things are real, and that they aren’t to spoil their fun, that everyone has different beliefs. As for the tooth fairy, I think that’s plain dumb, IMO. Maybe we will do something special for losing a first tooth, but my kids aren’t making bank for something that happens to everyone over and over again. 

Luckily my IL’s have toned down the crazy so they are on board with this. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I think, though easier said than done, we will be trying to strike a balance between all the magic of childhood with importance that seasons like Easter and Christmas are religious holidays and the time around them is an important religious time for our family and church. We are very involved in our church so the activities during the seasons help a lot.

We are big Christmas people with Santa pictures and presents, but also balancing that with giving and religion. Same with Easter, Easter hunts and Easter bunny are all good and as our kids grow we will add in participation in service days at our church. 

I agree with what was said that I felt no betrayal at realizing the truth about Santa, more excitement that I was in on the secret. I was grown up (all of 7 I think) and now expected to keep the magic going for younger siblings. 
  • My H and I haven't really discussed how we're planning on handling this actually. But I think we'd like to play along with Santa and the Easter Bunny, if for no other reason because the other kids in our family are all in that boat. I think it's kind of pointless to do the tooth fairy, like others have said everyone loses teeth so I'd like to not treat that as too special. 
  • I love the holidays and making them super special.

DH’s family’s only tradition was to have no traditions, so there was nothing consistent amd they were super reality-none fantast based. Like grew up watching John Wayne and not Disney, because cowboys and indians were real and talking animals/magc were not. (I think this was the logic anyways...I’m still figuring it out 8yrs later).

Melding into our own groove w Dd has been interesting(challenging). Mostly I go overboars and get super crearive using “normal” traditions and tying them strongly to our faith. It’s extra hard because the major holidays we don’t attend church since the crowds could mean exposing dd to sicknesses. 

Easter, we hide  eggs, some have candy/prizes(puzzle pieces this year), some have symbols of the resurrection story. The hint always ends at the empty tomb(we made a tipped over pot into one in a discreet part of our flower gardens)  where she finds a gift as a reminder of God’s greatest gift. We stll read the books we’re given about the Easter bunny, and she hasn’t seemed to care that he doesn’t come to our house, she loves what we do. 

Christmas, my family was the extreme anti-santa clan. Not until I was older though, my mom is still offended by his existence so I make sure to buy wrapping paper w no santa designs just for her. For DD she knows about him, but thinks of him as pretend and a part of the symbols of giving that go with God giving his son. So far it’s working. Christmas Eve wo go outside after dark to look at the stars, we’re lucky and our neighbor puts a big light up star on his roof, so we talk about the star that came for Jesus. It’s all little stuff that adds up, and then she talks about it more the rest of the year. 

Tooth fairy, well that has no religious affiliation, bt DD has seen so many shows and episodes involvng it... she talks fully expecting something special for losing a tooth. DH loves spoiling her, so we’ll prolly do the hide it under your pillow and swap it for something... maybe a 50 cent piece so it’s cheap but special? I dunno. She’ll know it was us though. I’m leaving the rest up to dh, in theory, as long as he doesn’t drop the ball.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

bfp#1-10/29/12,EDD: 7/3/13. nothing found @ 1st u/s, natural mc 12/10/12. "Bean"

bfp#2-5/10/13! EDD: 1/18/14. "Peanut" Arrived 1/13/14. Diagnosed with Cystic Fibrosis

bfp#3- 9/26/14. EDD: 5/7/15. no heartbeat found @ 1st u/s, natural mc 10/23/14. "Little Bug"

**Psalm 139:16**

• SdeuxSdeux member
    We will be celebrating all the magic with Santa & Easter Bunny. And probably the tooth fairy when we get there. DS is 4.5 and hasn’t lost a tooth yet. 
    Kids are so little for such a short time. Bring on the magic and innocence of childhood. 

Our son does goto a catholic school and is learning the religious meaning behind the holidays and he can decide when he is older if he would like to continue with religion. My husband and I aren’t practising. 
  • ashh2018ashh2018 member
    edited April 2018
    @BostonBaby1 same here! I was just remembering that when I was very little, I’d wait to see if I could see Santa flying by our house lol. If I had been taught the truth I definitely would have told my friends “Uh, you guys, he’s not real.”
  • We do Santa and the Easter bunny. It is fun and I never felt lied to or betrayed because once I found out, I realized that it was part of the magic of the holiday. Watching DS’s face as he unpacked his basket and scooped up all the eggs in the back yard this morning was awesome and probably even more magical for us as parents than for him. 

However, I will not be buying into doing the Lucky leprechaun (and using green dye to make it look like he peed in the toilet) or any of the other bogus bs that one of my husband’s coworker’s wife and her group of moms do. That is too far and too much work. 
    I didn’t even know this was a thing, but now I do! Cmon...this is just as creepy as Elf on the Shelf, which we will not be doing. I draw the line especially at making MORE made-up characters to push on your kids. I get Santa, Easter Bunny, etc. but this is just outright lying to your kids and perpetuating that inanimate objects and make-believe things are alive, which is scary and potentially damaging to kids, IMO. Maybe this is an UO...feel free to flame.  
  • So, we sort of let DD decide if she was going to do made up people. We didn't push it and she just decided they exist. 

Santa does stocking at our house. They  small toy, candy, and a book.

The Easter bunny hides eggs and brings a small amount of candy. We don't do Easter baskets.

As for the tooth fairy, she brings like...a dollar.
  • We do Santa and the Easter bunny. It is fun and I never felt lied to or betrayed because once I found out, I realized that it was part of the magic of the holiday. Watching DS’s face as he unpacked his basket and scooped up all the eggs in the back yard this morning was awesome and probably even more magical for us as parents than for him. 

However, I will not be buying into doing the Lucky leprechaun (and using green dye to make it look like he peed in the toilet) or any of the other bogus bs that one of my husband’s coworker’s wife and her group of moms do. That is too far and too much work. 
    I didn’t even know this was a thing, but now I do! Cmon...this is just as creepy as Elf on the Shelf, which we will not be doing. I draw the line especially at making MORE made-up characters to push on your kids. I get Santa, Easter Bunny, etc. but this is just outright lying to your kids and perpetuating that inanimate objects and make-believe things are alive, which is scary and potentially damaging to kids, IMO. Maybe this is an UO...feel free to flame.  
    Wait- who's this Leprechaun guy? What's this bs? I don't even know what it and I'm already Team Hard No.

I won't do Elf on the Shelf either. He's basically just a snitch right?
  • I just found out about the leprechaun this year. All our friends kids that are older were talking about him at the St Patrick’s day party we went to. Nope. Also no to elf on the shelf.  That’s creepy. 
  •   We will do Santa and the Easter Bunny but more importantly teach of the reason for Christmas and Easter. These are not holidays just for getting presents, they have very special meaning behind them and that is the center of each. For Christmas we will likely do small things from Santa and the. Big gifts from mom and dad. It’s important for our child to know that we work hard for the things we have and big gifts don’t magically appear. We have always done an angel from the angel tree and a stocking from the senior citizen tree and my kid will be able to pick one of each every year as well so they are giving back from a young age.

Same for easter bunny, we will probably hide eggs but not some fancy easter basket full of junk. 

I have not even thought about the tooth fairy. I guess DH and I will have to talk through that one.
  • My family and DHs family do all the holidays. It's a little overwhelming do everything essentially three times. Because the families celebrate a lot and love giving gifts, DH and I just tone down what we do. Fortunately all families have cut back on the candy so there is just a reasonable amount. 

I loved the tooth fairy growing up so I will likely do that. We were gifted an elf on the shelf. I set her out last Christmas and DD and I read the book but that was about it I might move it around now next year but the whole spy for Santa thing is dumb. I hate people telling kids they have to be good because Santa is watching... They should be good because that's how people should behave
  • My daughter really isn't into sitting in strangers laps for pictures, but I showed her a pic of her cousins with the Easter bunny and she goes "I dont want that guy in my house." She got over it Easter morning. Then for Christmas this was the first year she truly got it. She was all about the idea of Santa bringing presents. But then my husband left snowy footprints leading to the tree and my daughter felt so violated. She made us clean it up before she opened any presents.

We've put the idea in her head that one night this week Tinkerbell is going to come take her pacifiers and leave her a gift. We shall see how that goes. I'm debating leaving a little pile of glitter or it might be another Santa footprint fiasco.
  • This thread got me to chat with MH last night. We both agreed that we'll do all the Santa, Tooth Fairy, Easter Bunny stuff. For both of us we never felt lied to when we found out they weren't real. For me, I had two older siblings so I think I had a good idea that those things weren't real fairly early. It was still fun as a child to participate in the tradtions so I don't think I questioned anything too much. I'm not sure I ever thought the Easter Bunny was real because we'd catch our parents hiding eggs on Easter (we lived in a warm climate and they hid real eggs lol).

I may change the messaging around Santa a bit with my kids. For example, I will try to tone down the message of Santa can bring you anything you want. I may instead say Santa will bring you some gifts and family will give you some gifts but remember he has to give gifts to every child in the world.

My family and MH family both participated in community service activities during the holidays when we were growing up. Helping to serve a meal, providing presents to a family, volunteering etc... I'd really like to continue that with my kids. I think this will help them understand the world and how important it is to think of/help others.
  • For us, Christmas is all about the spirit of giving and the importance of family (however you define it), and Easter is a celebration of Spring...with absolutely no religious meaning or undertones. My daughter is almost 2 and we've done Santa and the Easter bunny--Santa brought a stocking and maybe 2 presents, and the Easter bunny brought a basked with some candy and a little stuffed bunny. I guess we are lying to her, but I don't plan to take it too far...more focusing on "the spirit of santa clause" and all the people that help out with the spirit of giving that he represents. The Easter bunny is just a magic bunny that lays eggs or something, he's always been creepy to me LOL. No pics with the Easter bunny for us! We'll definitely do the Tooth Fairy, too, in some way. 

When the kids are older we'll teach them about religious holidays of all faiths, and what all kinds of people believe. 

No way we're doing Elf on a Shelf--it basically represents everything I'm against, especially as an atheist. In our family, we believe in doing good for the sake of good--because it's the right thing to do--not because someone is watching or because you're going to get rewarded in the end (tell me what else that sounds like, haha). 
  • Well I was 6 I believe when my jerk cousin told me santa wasn't real, not sure about Easter Bunny or tooth fairy but I'm going to let my child hold onto that magic, that innocence, that special feeling as long as possible. Then I will explain and it might suck but I will share with them why holidays are so important, about giving, about creating our own magic.

Maybe I am delusional but even as an adult I still feel the magic at holidays and i compare it to waking up at Disney world. It's so happy and magical and special there for me even though I know the characters aren't real it doesn't lessen the memories I make or the happiness I feel - I will do the same for holidays once my kids know that Santa and E.B. aren't real